She_Wolf67

Wolves

Really? Wolves are endangered? Check the ESA. Oh, and most of the Wolfaboos tend to ignore any wolf that isn't a fluffy sooper kyoot Grey Wolf. And they tend not to be very educated about the species as a whole. Like to their argument of "Wolves help keep deer and elk populations healthy!" one can reply with "they carry easy to transfer parasites that actually weaken herds."

So...great animal, bad fandom.

I am not a wolfaboo, though I do love wolves. And grey wolfs? Not my favorite...I tend to go for the arctic and black wolves more than the grey. I find the grey wolf boring in color. I, for some reason, tend to like albino, white, and black animals much more than the normal colors. I also like foxes. smile.gif The red and arctic foxes are cute. I've done research on wolves, for school projects and just for myself. Same as foxes. I've heard of fennec foxes, though I haven't seen a picture of one yet...I think I'll go Google Image that one. ^^

White wolves are endangered. But there are more wolves endangered than just the white ones. Most people kill them, like farmers. I know you don't want the wolf to sink it's teeth into the sheep but do you need to shoot them! Some people are so cruel.

I love wolves. They are my favourite animal

-snip-

This so much.

I like wolves but I'm not obsessed with them. As for them being endangered, there are several hundreds of them in my small country so... not really, at least locally.

I love wolves. :3 Always felt a funny connection with them... not very original, I know tongue.gif Seems a lot of people are fans of wolves!

I don't really know much about conservation (though I think all recreational hunting is plain wrong)... to be honest I suppose I'm not really a wolfaboo, although maybe I used to be a little bit. I just think they're really beautiful animals.

I've always roleplayed wolves on some of the good big RPG forums out there. :3

I had never heard of wolfaboos until I saw that link. It made me laugh. It's sort of like PETA, but just for wolves.

Anyways, I'd agree that there are cooler, exotic-er animals out there than wolves, but I still love them a lot. They're just so cute! (I kind of love anything that's cute and fuzzy, so...) And their intelligence, social system, and everything is pretty cool.

Anyways, I'd agree that there are cooler, exotic-er animals out there than wolves, but I still love them a lot. They're just so cute! (I kind of love anything that's cute and fuzzy, so...) And their intelligence, social system, and everything is pretty cool.

Cute? Really?

Have you ever seen an angry wolf?

user posted image

Not the scariest picture of an angry wolf, but hey.

I just don't classify wolves as cute, I say that they're majestic creatures. But not cute.

Beautiful, yes, but cute? Nuh-uh. There is a beauty even in anger, but any semblance of cute dies once it's out of the infant stage

Cute? Really?

Have you ever seen an angry wolf?

user posted image

Not the scariest picture of an angry wolf, but hey.

I just don't classify wolves as cute, I say that they're majestic creatures. But not cute.

Beautiful, yes, but cute? Nuh-uh. There is a beauty even in anger, but any semblance of cute dies once it's out of the infant stage

I have a different opinion of what "cute" is. Hehe, it sounds like you guys think something's wrong with an adult wolf being cute.

Adj. 1. Delightfully pretty or dainty.

2. cute  - attractive especially by means of smallness or prettiness or quaintness; "a cute kid with pigtails"; "a cute little apartment"

Yes, I believe out definitions of cute are vastly different. Cute, to me, like this dictionary excerpt, means small, dainty, fragile, or delicate.

Beautiful is it bit broader term that fits wolves better in my mind: graceful, lithe, cunning, strong, intelligent

Yes, I believe out definitions of cute are vastly different. Cute, to me, like this dictionary excerpt, means small, dainty, fragile, or delicate.

Beautiful is it bit broader term that fits wolves better in my mind: graceful, lithe, cunning, strong, intelligent

This. I love wolves, but they aren't cute. They are cunning and intelligent creatures that are extremely dangerous. Beautiful is a perfect description for them. Just like beautiful is a good description for Black Widows. It can mean dangerous. Wolf pups are cute, yes, but once they lose their baby fur, they're lithe, cunning, anything but cute.

White wolves are endangered. But there are more wolves endangered than just the white ones. Most people kill them, like farmers. I know you don't want the wolf to sink it's teeth into the sheep but do you need to shoot them! Some people are so cruel.

I love wolves. They are my favourite animal

White wolves are not a subspecies on their own. White is a color variant. Are you talking Arctic wolf, Tundra wolf, or another subspecies? And yes, there are endangered subspecies out there, but most (and I stress this word) Wolfaboos tend to think that the only wolf worth noting is the Grey.

Honestly, if I were a farmer and a pack of wolves were trying to kill my livestock, my livelihood, I would consider shooting them. Or get Wolfhounds to keep them at bay.

And honestly, shooting an animal is one of the most humane ways of killing it. One shot to the head and it's done. Would you rather wolves be poisoned, caught in traps to starve, or ripped apart slowly by hunters and their dogs?

The hunting of any non-threatened species done by and within legal means is perfectly fine. If hunters are killing wolves legally they should not have their children threatened by extremists. They are perfectly within their rights to hunt that animal. Hunting does keep nature in balance when properly regulated.

However, the hunting of wolves in large numbers up in Alaska by helicopter (their proposed number was 200 for the trip) I cannot support. I support the hunting, but not the number. Killing that much of the population would lower the population density too much. I believe the estimated outcome for this, if the hunting continued at that extreme pace, would be one to two wolves left every 1000 km. I may need to double check those numbers...

Lone wolves do not survive long. As pack animals it takes a few to take down an elk or caribou. A strong pack ensures survival, and more of a breeding pool, as wolves will sometimes leave the pack in search of a mate, which them break off to start their own.

Like everything, balance is needed. We can't eradicate all wolves, but we cannot let them run uncontrolled, either.

Kila, well said. Balance is the key, and hunting them is needed in some areas due to population growth. I also agree on the livestock vs. wolf issue. Anyone worth their salt with a gun can put an animal down humanely--far moreso than almost any other way for it to go.

Yes, I love wolves for being powerful and magestic, not cute. I mean those eyes, that deep moonlight yellow, the eyes of a true preditor like cats. They way they hunt and care for their young, the way they take down animals with such skill ohmy.gif just magical. They certainly are one of the animals that people try to be like on the inside, loyal, strong, ready to take down your prey. It is no wonder the werewolf appeals to us so much.

If we want to talk about a wolf breed that needs help lets look at the Red Wolf, those guys are in some serious trouble and goign fast. They are startign to breed with domestic dogs too so now finding pure breed red wolves is harder.

Edited by Delphine

I have a different opinion of what "cute" is. Hehe, it sounds like you guys think something's wrong with an adult wolf being cute.

My opinion on cute is basically anything with big eyes, including those adorable little spider faces.

What kila said as well, shooting an animal is humane /if/ you don't screw up your shot.

No matter what the dictionary says, words like "cute," "ugly," "beautiful," "normal," and "good" are subjective. Someone may feel that wolves are the ugliest creatures to ever grace the planet. Would he or she be wrong? Maybe to us, but technically, no. Likewise, I find wolves cute because... kind of hard to describe, but just their facial structure, and their appearance. And it seems like I'm being accused of being incorrect for holding the opinion that wolves are cute unsure.gif But that's also my opinion biggrin.gif

I never denied that wolves were beautiful as well. Their actions are indeed graceful and all.

Edited by zephyr_123

Why on earth are people getting upset because someone stated the OPINION that wolves are cute?

Also, gray wolves include ALL wolves except red wolves, which are a separate species entirely. Even dogs count as wolves, by blood.

I like wolves. I'm a member of the International Wolf Center and try to visit there at least once a year. Last year, saw all six ambassador wolves - Shadow and Malik, the arctic wolves that have since been retired; Maya and Grizzer; and Aiden and Denali, who were still pups but nearly fully grown. Only saw one of the exhibit pack during a short visit this year.

The wolves can often be viewed on the wolf watch cams.

-casprrr

Why on earth are people getting upset because someone stated the OPINION that wolves are cute?

Also, gray wolves include ALL wolves except red wolves, which are a separate species entirely. Even dogs count as wolves, by blood.

False.

The Grey Wolf has many subspecies. Which are related, but different.

You cannot say that an Arabian Wolf is the same as a Grey Wolf, but rather a subspecies.

The Red Wolf is a subspecies of the Grey Wolf.

Edited for clarification and capitals.

Edited by Kila

Bah, taxonomy. Well, I suppose it's helpful, but such a pain in the neck, too >.< (Learning taxonomic groups this week in school. Not even just plain old KPCOFGS, but all the sub stuff as well.)

I wasn't upset, I was merely showing how and why my own opinion was different.

@ Kayota, my apologies if I seemed like I was dissing you. It was not my intention. Like my above sentence, I was just trying to explain why I thought differently, not say that you were necessarily wrong. I can see how my post on that could have ended up a bit harsher than I'd meant though >_<

If anyone ever ends up in the Cocollalla Lake, ID area, take a look at the Wolf People souvenir shop. It's epic and they have wolves than come to work with them. They've got some pretty cool other trinkets, too, like homemade soaps with woodsey scents and stuff and wolf/Native American themed artwork

wolves are my friggin life!!!

im not even kidding!!

and Sarah Palin is evil!!!

she EXPANDED the wolf massacre going on in Alaska!!!

they get in like twin engine planes and fly after the wolves and then shoot them from the air. A lot of the times they dont even kill the wolf completely, just let it curl and writhe in pain on the ground. The thing is, they just do this crazy MURDERING because they can!!!!

it really makes me mad!!

The wolves are our brothers and sisters!!

and there are only 100 Red Wolves left in the wild...and ALL of them are in immediate danger!!!

its horrible!!!

The hunting of any non-threatened species done by and within legal means is perfectly fine. If hunters are killing wolves legally they should not have their children threatened by extremists. They are perfectly within their rights to hunt that animal. Hunting does keep nature in balance when properly regulated.

However, the hunting of wolves in large numbers up in Alaska by helicopter (their proposed number was 200 for the trip) I cannot support. I support the hunting, but not the number. Killing that much of the population would lower the population density too much. I believe the estimated outcome for this, if the hunting continued at that extreme pace, would be one to two wolves left every 1000 km. I may need to double check those numbers...

Like everything, balance is needed. We can't eradicate all wolves, but we cannot let them run uncontrolled, either.

I live in Alaska, and I too, think it's very wrong. There are places here in dire need of wolves due to an over population on herbivores and some small carnivorous or omnivorous species. They should humanely transport the animals to that place, even if it costs a lot, instead of sitting on their lazy bums in a helicopter with a rifle in hand.

Erm, I respect Sarah Palin because she was our governor, but I don't agree with her logic most of the time.

Edited by wondersueak