Zeekaice

Meat

Give her bacon.

I've known more than one vegetarian turn meat-eater again due to the wondrous powers of bacon.

Bizzarely I also know one vegetarian (my sister) that didn't like bacon even when she *did* eat meat. There do seem to be some strange, strange people out there who actualy don't like it.

I never understood what's so great about bacon.

S... Seriously, what is it?

Bacon possesses six ingredient types of umami, which elicits an addictive neurochemical response.

Meat? Where!?

Oh, just the topic title. False alarm. Yes, I love my bacon. Nummy, crunchy bacon. *drool*

My 'Boonie uncle' is an avid hunter, so I wasn't surprised when he asked if I wanted to help clean a deer. I gutted it, but guts and blood were just the start of it. Let's just say, we had hamburgers that night, but no cows were in the vicinity. XP

And no, I wasn't disgusted about the guts, beheading, or the thought of the magnificent animal dying like that.

Long story short, loads of meat makes for a happy Drako.

I never understood what's so great about bacon.

S... Seriously, what is it?

God-like.

At my brothers graduation they had a BBQ and if someone was a vegetarian they had to bring their own veggie pattie. Anyway someone thought they were provided and ended up eating a regular beef pattie burger. After she finished she said to my brother that it was the best veggie burger she had ever eaten and that it had tasted great, my brother didn't have the heart to tell her it was beef and so no one ever told her xd.png

Edited by Kaynight

That sucks...poor girl. Typically BBQs provide veggie burgers though, I'm surprised she didn't ask for one.

BACON! -goes on a bacon eating spree-

I seriously could go through a pack of bacon a day if my mom wouldn't kill me.

As for bacon, I can eat it. It's moderately fine. Not my favourite kind of meat, though, the sound/thought of it doesn't send an ocean of saliva rushing into my mouth.

/runs from flying bricks

Edited by lightbird

Bacon's okay, it's fun to make jokes with on teh interwebz, but I prefer other kinds of meat generally. I haven't had good bacon in a while, though, so... yeah.

OT, but I kinda wish stuff like veggies and fruit would be seen in a more positive light. Just not a cookie-monster reenactment of horror, but still... seems all that the internet gets out of them is rule 34.

Edited by RheaZen

Sure there are other types of good meat, better meat. But what other meat can you cook in under ten minutes and eat with any meal of the day? -points out the obvious win factor of bacon- And besides the fact that for cost vs taste, bacon wins.

Actually meat is the only thing that keeps me full but meat makes me sick sometimes so yeah. DX Like the only meat I can have without feeling sick is chicken, turkey, and beef.

I used to eat bacon as a kid every saturday along with eggs and pancakes... *spoiled*

Now I can't stand it... though, I can't stand pork as a whole anymore... (except tenderloin)

-K-

I used to make those bacon logs for breakfast . . . bacon, wrapped in sausage, wrapped in more bacon. Two pounds of meaty yumminess. I do love bacon, but to be honest, the smell makes me want to vomit, and I can't eat pork in general without getting stomach cramps. Luckily I can just buy bacon salt and sprinkle that on everything, and in the case of burgers and sandwiches, a little bacon mayonnaise makes a good meal great. There is something addictive about the taste.

Edited by Goslander

I have O- blood, so I have to have a little meat every day or I start to feel ill. By "little" I mean about 5-6 ounces. And yes, I've had to go without meat for a short time due to economic reasons, and felt like hell.

That said…

When vegetarianism was popular back in the '90s, most of the vegetarians I knew cited the logistics of the meat industry and its attendant costs as one of the reasons they stopped eating meat. Beef is raised in, say, Texas, slaughtered in Nebraska, and shipped across the country and beyond. Yeah, that's a lot of sheckels being wasted there in terms of transportation costs.

With the rise of the Localvore movement — something very popular up here in Oregon — that went away. America is still a pretty fertile country, good soil, and there's nothing you can't grow at pretty much everywhere (with the notable exception of some of the extreme northern states like Minnesota, upstate NY, etc.). Even Alaska is turning out some startlingly huge summer crops owing to their midnight sun. What I'm saying here is that the food industry is poised for a major decentralization. Even big cities like Pittsburgh are exploring the building of vertical farms that not only grow enough crops to feed the populace, but collect rainwater and solar energy.

Like I said, here in Oregon, we have a lot of farms and they're partly supported by CSA's — Community Supported Agriculture. A household will pay such-and-such a month and in return receives a weekly box of fruits, veggies, legumes, eggs, sometimes meat — whatever the farm produces. Food that travels less than an hour from point-of-production to market or consumer tastes much better, and is healthier. And because people are clued in, many farms that raise meat animals treat their animals humanely and don't load them up with antibiotics and chemicals. We have two mobile slaughter units operating locally that come to the farm and slaughter and process the animals right there, so shipping them to a feedlot and then to the slaughterhouse doesn't come into the picture.

With the disappearance of the feedlot and slaughterhouse goes a lot of humane-driven objections.

Google "localvore" and "community-supported agriculture" if you want to learn more.

I have O- blood, so I have to have a little meat every day or I start to feel ill. By "little" I mean about 5-6 ounces. And yes, I've had to go without meat for a short time due to economic reasons, and felt like hell.

I have O- blood, too, and I've always felt sick if I didn't eat some meat every day, but I've never thought that the two could be related. Do you have links or something to more information on that?

Edited by Goslander

I have O- blood, too, and I've always felt sick if I didn't eat some meat every day, but I've never thought that the two could be related. Do you have links or something to more information on that?

I am 0- too, but yet I've never heard of anything of the kind, nor have I ever felt ill when I don't eat meat on some days.

To be truthful, I've been through some very poor food availability on my travels, eating very little and very plain food for maybe more than two weeks in the run, but it hasn't this far shown any notable effects in the (relatively) short period of time I'm going through it nor in the time after returning...

I don't personally think there is a direct connection in between the two, especially since I've never heard of it albeit of being 0- myself- it is relatively common over here- as well as I know at least one 0- vegetarian who's never had that problem.

If you're feeling ill then it could possibly rather have something to do with low iron- perhaps your body can't get it in sufficient quantities from other foods, but it is more easily available and abundant in meat?

Edited by Shienvien

If you're feeling ill then it could possibly rather have something to do with low iron- perhaps your body can't get it in sufficient quantities from other foods, but it is more easily available and abundant in meat?

I do recall having issues with iron deficiency anemia as a child, and added to several other symptoms I've been noticing for some time now, this makes sense. I think I'll be seeing a doctor soon. Ugh.

Edited by Goslander

I love animals and support Greenpeace, but I can't stop eaiting meat, and wouldn't ever. You can defend animals and so, but it doesn't mean that you MUST give up meat, if you like it. We have farms, and we breed and raise animals for meat, it's not like killing innocent or abusing what nature gave us. Thus, it's pretty natural, predators hunt and eat meat, too.

Anyway, I guess, it's just a personal decision. You don't need to be an animal lover to be vegetarian, and you can support animals' rights, and still eat meat. Although, there're people who just don't like the taste of it, no ideology basis.

This subject pisses me the hell off. Not saying it shouldn't be addressed or anything like that, I just mean that I get into more fights with my room mate over this than anything else and the very mention of this subject makes me want to type in all capital letters, but I'll refrain...

SO! I love animals and I eat meat, and just because I do one thing doesn't mean I can't do the other too.

Reading back through the posts before, I find a lot of people here share my feelings. That makes me happy.

Edited by Down By The River

Give her bacon.

I've known more than one vegetarian turn meat-eater again due to the wondrous powers of bacon.

rofl. Now getting her to actually eat it would be the true challenge.

I knew a vegetarian who ate spam and thought it was like fake meat.

Also, it bothers me when people claim to not eat meat, but eat fish.

rofl. Now getting her to actually eat it would be the true challenge.

Chains & handcuffs.

Chains & handcuffs.

O_O this did not help my first thought after "Meat. How should you eat it."

Brain bleach required

Now i can't remember my reall answer