Zeekaice

Meat

People can eat meat if they want, I just think it should be happy, healthy meat, animals that have lead a good life, weren't battery farmed and were killed humanely.

I'm a vegetarian, have been for all my life and not for ethical or dietary reasons; I simply just don't like meat, can't stand it.

I'd also like to de-bunk all those myths about vegetarians, while I'm here. tongue.gif We eat more than just salad leaves and we don't all have health problems. I have no health problems relating to my diet, I get plenty of protein and iron as I have lots of beans and pulses in my meals, and I also use that meat substitute Quorn, which is high in protein. My diet is very well balanced so I have no need to take any supplements.

Edited by BlackCherry

Allow me to make a good point.

There is a reason humans are omnivores, it is because we need both plants and meats to survive. If we didn't, we would be herbivores, now wouldn't we? Meat is meant to be eaten. Animals are meant to be consumed. In fact, all living things are. That is why we eat both plants and animals.

I like that you said "all living things". Please tell me you are including humans. Side note: Am I the only vegetarian that would be all willing to try long pork (human)? And took a modest proposal as a viable and useful solution to human overpopulation? (I know, I'm a horrible person, let alone a horrible vegetarian xd.png )

But no, we don't need both to survive. True, our digestive systems are better suited for getting certain nutrients from flesh than plant. Vitamin B12 (so I've read) is actually unobtainable from plant sources, but is only needed in small amounts. Vegans can take a supplement (don't ask me where the supplement comes from. I'm not vegan, and I don't know. Science? blink.gif), vegetarians can get it from eggs and dairy. Protein is easy to get, it just takes combined sources to obtain complete protein.

I do, however, call BS on those who are vegetarian for the health of it. Not complaining, but they are ill-informed. A balanced diet is easier with (proper) meats, but more varied without it.

Excuse me for enjoying my steak. Excuse me for eating meat because it's okay to. Excuse me for being omnivorous.

You eat meat because you can. Some people forsake meat, because they can. tongue.gif

Different strokes for different folks.

Nothing wrong if one person has a vegetarian diet and feels healthier because of it. Nothing wrong if one person eats a diet with meat in it and feels healthier because of it. We're all different and need different things and like different things. :3

I have no issues with vegetarians or vegans, so long as they do it in a way that is healthy, especially when children are involved. The only time I have issues with vegetarians or vegans is when they insist on keeping the diet for their child, even when it is harming the child. I hate having to take kids away from loving homes and put them in the system because the parents refuse to feed them animal products or meat, or do something or supplement it.

I have no issues with vegetarians or vegans, so long as they do it in a way that is healthy, especially when children are involved. The only time I have issues with vegetarians or vegans is when they insist on keeping the diet for their child, even when it is harming the child. I hate having to take kids away from loving homes and put them in the system because the parents refuse to feed them animal products or meat, or do something or supplement it.

QFT. I completely agree with that.

Hope eggs count as on-topic enough, because I've got something: I've recently received fresh, maybe-fertilized-maybe-not eggs from a relative. Being a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I'm in a small war inside over the ethics here. Trying to convince myself that this goes fine with my pro-choice opinion. I should have no problem eating aborted fetuses.

So here's a question for ovo-vegetarians here: What about fertilized eggs? Opinions on ethics there? It's eating aborted fetuses. Fridge Logic: Store-bought eggs might be fertilized, too. But it's just not as close to home...

On the milk thing: ohmy.gif I don't know what to think now.

@AlternateMew - you should have my username! laugh.gif

I would feel uncomfortable eating eggs if they might be fertilised, or maybe even refuse to eat them. As far as I know the eggs me and my family eat are not fertilised, and I'm sure someone once told me that a hen will only sit on eggs if they're fertilised.

Anyways, my best friend is transition to be a Raw Foodist, which is kind of veganism. Whenever I say, "Well, I just really like meat. I don't think I could really give it up for very long" she goes on about how can I stand eating the meat when the animals have been treated so badly and all I'm doing is encouraging their tortured deaths.

I don't really know how to respond to that other than, "We need better conditions for them, but I can't help that I need meat. I just can't live off of plant stuff alone."

= 3='

Its called you tell her there are cows that are left free range on all grass diets until its time for slaughter. There's naturally raised and antibitoic/hormone free meats available. There's free range chickens and pigs that are allowed access to deep bedding and earth to root around in.

There's actually quite a few sources where you can obtain meats from animals that were raised with minimal cruelty and slaughtered quickly and efficency. Slaughter itself when done properly is extremly quick and relatively painless. So no, not all meat is from animals that were tortured and treated badly. rolleyes.gif

I don't think that the question is should you eat meat, but should you wear meat?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

As to eating meat.

I think everyone is entitled to their own diet. However, people like peta who use shock techniques to try and get others to change their diet just annoys me.

I eat meat, and likely always will. However, when I was younger I went vegetarian for several years for unknown reasons. I just didn't have any desire to eat meat.

*shrug*

So here's a question for ovo-vegetarians here: What about fertilized eggs? Opinions on ethics there? It's eating aborted fetuses

Sometimes you get fertilised eggs in markets as well.

I just had this thought spark in my brain but I think a lot of people turn to vegetarianism/veganism because the majority of people in the media that represent this community are thin and have beautiful skin and cool-colored hair and people want that, and think that "Oh, if I become a vegetarian/vegan, I will be skinny and pretty and awesome!" when that's really not the fact. Not all people who choose to leave meat out of their diet are skinny, because they still abuse fatty foods like fries and ice cream etc, and they don't have perfect skin because they still consume an excessive amount of sugars and salts. A lot of people do it the wrong way, and when they see no health difference, they get upset and bash the community of people who take the lifestyle the correct way. It upsets me because I get trashed a lot for my choices when they're personal choices, not ones made so I'm 'pretty', 'skinny', or 'cool'.

I just had this thought spark in my brain but I think a lot of people turn to vegetarianism/veganism because the majority of people in the media that represent this community are thin and have beautiful skin and cool-colored hair and people want that, and think that "Oh, if I become a vegetarian/vegan, I will be skinny and pretty and awesome!" when that's really not the fact. Not all people who choose to leave meat out of their diet are skinny, because they still abuse fatty foods like fries and ice cream etc, and they don't have perfect skin because they still consume an excessive amount of sugars and salts. A lot of people do it the wrong way, and when they see no health difference, they get upset and bash the community of people who take the lifestyle the correct way. It upsets me because I get trashed a lot for my choices when they're personal choices, not ones made so I'm 'pretty', 'skinny', or 'cool'.

Exactly. Whether you're a meat-eater, vegetarian, pescetarian or vegan, the healthiest option is a balanced diet with an appropriate amount of excercise.

I've been a vegetarian my whole life, but after I had to switch to a low fibre diet I noticed my skin condition wasn't as good as it used to be. (Why is it so hard to get healthy, nutritious food without added fibre or sweetners?) Although I've cut caffeine out of my diet almost completely, just because I prefer water to sugary drinks. laugh.gif

I had pickled shark on Thursday. Disgusting.

Exactly. Whether you're a meat-eater, vegetarian, pescetarian or vegan, the healthiest option is a balanced diet with an appropriate amount of excercise.

I have to say that I agree with this. It doesn't matter to me whether you eat meat or not; as long as you respect other people 's right to make their own choices.

It is eating a nutritious and well balanced diet that is important, not whether or not it includes meat. And Kestra, pickled shark does not sound at all yummy... yuck, sorry.

Edited by LeopardDragon

Its called you tell her there are cows that are left free range on all grass diets until its time for slaughter. There's naturally raised and antibitoic/hormone free meats available. There's free range chickens and pigs that are allowed access to deep bedding and earth to root around in.

There's actually quite a few sources where you can obtain meats from animals that were raised with minimal cruelty and slaughtered quickly and efficency. Slaughter itself when done properly is extremly quick and relatively painless. So no, not all meat is from animals that were tortured and treated badly. rolleyes.gif

Just adding on to this, there's also the option of choosing kosher meat.

From http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm#Shechitah:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kosher slaughtering

The mammals and birds that may be eaten must be slaughtered in accordance with Jewish law. (Deut. 12:21). We may not eat animals that died of natural causes (Deut. 14:21) or that were killed by other animals. In addition, the animal must have no disease or flaws in the organs at the time of slaughter. These restrictions do not apply to fish; only to the flocks and herds (Num. 11:22).

Ritual slaughter is known as shechitah, and the person who performs the slaughter is called a shochet, both from the Hebrew root Shin-Cheit-Teit. The method of slaughter is a quick, deep stroke across the throat with a perfectly sharp blade with no nicks or unevenness. This method is painless, causes unconsciousness within two seconds, and is widely recognized as the most humane method of slaughter possible.

Another advantage of shechitah is that it ensures rapid, complete draining of the blood, which is also necessary to render the meat kosher.

The shochet is not simply a butcher; he must be a pious man, well-trained in Jewish law, particularly as it relates to kashrut. In smaller, more remote communities, the rabbi and the shochet were often the same person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "no disease or flaws in the organs at the time of slaughter" part implies that that animal must at least be kept healthy, which factory farming generally does not do. And it's a quick, painless death. Not like being boiled alive.

Is shark tasty not pickled?

Don't know. I'll find out some day.

My great grandfather lived out by a swamp, and would wrestle alligators and bring them home for dinner.

o _o That's what I've been told my whole life, but I'm not exactly certain it really happened. Sounds like something my great grandpa would do, though x3

So long as you don't try to shove your diet on me, I will not shove mine on yours. At least, that is how I treat those around me.

ewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewew

my thoughts on the idea.

ewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewewew

my thoughts on the idea.

Imagine the possibilities!

user posted image

Imagine the possibilities!

No.