Zeekaice

Meat

As far as I know vegetarians don't eat animals. Including sponges.

Vegetarians who don't think fish count are deficient. Not enough vitamins from meat for their brains to function properly.

=D

Edit:

Alright I jest, not all vegetarians are deficient. Just the one who told me fish don't count because they didn't have fur and that meant they didn't have a soul.

Edited by sureq

THERE ARE MULTIPLE DEFINITIONS OF MEAT. "MEAT" IS A MEANINGLESS TERM THAT HAS NO STANDARDIZED MEANING.

By this definition, you're saying sponges and coral are "meat" because they are animals. Sponges are used in soup recipes, but I've never heard anyone consider them "meat." If you go with the idea that "all animals are meat," please account for these, and mind that you cannot change your definition, midway through.

All meats are a part of an animal, and they are made up of protein.

And I think the agricultural scientists (biologists and geneticists especially) would have to disagree with you. After all, without science, we wouldn't have animals yielding higher amounts of meat at the right tenderness and muscle to fat ratios.

-K-

Like how they've bred turkeys so they're made of more white meat than dark. But this causes the turkeys to be so deformed they can never walk, and all breeding has to be done by insemination.

...It sounds icky, but I like my white meat. >w>

Best meat ever = Salmon. Who's with me?!

No.

Me no lieky seafood of any kind.

Beat meat ever = hamburger.

I've to be careful with fish. :x

I like my chicken and well-marinated grilled pork. And (the pretty rare occurrence of eating) venison.

Edited by lightbird

All meats are a part of an animal, and they are made up of protein.

That makes hair a meat.

Smoked Salmon is good.

It's a little too much like tuna to me, and I hate tuna.

We eat a lot of atlantic cod at my household (yes, in missouri, we eat cod xd.png)

I....ate shark once. It was OK. I wouldn't eat it again considering sharks are awesome and many of them are endangered. (Sharks have their own week you know, how many other animals have their own week)

(also, Nobleowl, when I pulled my "Science says so" card, I was talking to the person who didn't think fish were animals. I wasn't really debating on whether they were meat or not, because I already debated that, and I learned I do have to respect cultures that don't consider it meat. But people cannot deny that fish are animals, based on scientific facts)

I'm a vegetarian myself (we actually had a vegetarian topic a while back, not sure what happened to it).

Personally I don't like the idea of eating meat. Partly because of the fact it was still alive and that just bugs me (I don't like killing anything, I even have difficulty getting myself to kill houseflies). Then there are the environmental considerations - the less meat we eat the less energy and land we're using up. It requires a lot more land and a lot more energy to raise animals for consumption than it does to raise plants for consumption, and while you might need to eat more plants if you eat less meat it is still less than the amount of plants that go into making meat (grain feed). So it helps reduce my ecological footprint as well, which is a nice bonus.

However I don't think it's my place to judge anyone else for it. This is a personal choice. I've never once gone up to someone and told them they should stop eating meat. I think that's forcing my opinion on them and that just isn't right. If they ask why I'm vegetarian I'll tell them, and if they attack my reasons I'll defend them, but I won't push my ideas down anyone else's throat.

BTW my definition of "meat" for purposes of my vegetarianism is anything that comes from an animal which had to die to produce it. This does not include eggs and milk products obviously, as the animals don't die (well directly at least >.>) to produce it.

That makes hair a meat.

Hair is just a dead mass of keratin with little water content.

ninja.gif 'd you, Nightfox! lol

Edited by Alpha1

That makes hair a meat.

I think everyone has to be careful when using the term "protein" as there are many different kinds. Just like with fat and sugars.

Hair is made up primarily of a protein called keratin, which is also found in finger nails, rhinoceros horns, ect.

It's not something that the human digestive system (and generally other mammals - note, hairballs) can process.

Hair is just a dead mass of keratin with little water content.

ninja.gif 'd you, Nightfox! lol

But keratin is protein.

I'm a chemist, Alpha, I know what hair is. But keratin is a protein, and by your definition, hair is meat.

But keratin is protein.

I'm a chemist, Alpha, I know what hair is. But keratin is a protein, and by your definition, hair is meat.

I just didn't bother to elaborate on the definition.

*facepalm* It *has*, Crazy. Fish is a meat. Vegetarians don't eat meat. So if you eat fish, you're not vegetarian.

I really don't understand how you keep arguing this point. Read the definitions. There is no 'personal interpretation,' a vegetarian doesn't eat meat, and that includes fish. End of argument.

Say it til you run out of breath for all I care - YOU ARE WRONG.

Definitions are not shaky in this matter. It's like saying 'oh, a metre is defined as one hundred centimetres, but some people think it's ninety centimetres, so it's a shaky definition.' No, those people are morons. End of. It is set in stone, it is considered by the *entire scientific community* that fish is a meat. Fishes are animals. Meat comes from living animals. So fish flesh is meat. You can't make it any simpler. There is no flexibility. How many times do we have to say this?

Fish is a meat. No 'shaky definition.' It is an animal, it is ergo a meat.

+1

Science is science for a reason. Science deals with facts backed up by evidence, or theories and hypotheses that are suggested due to reasonable observations or current theorems that are to be later backed up by evidence. It is blind to culture when in it's purest form as it deals with what is tangibly there - if it was culture sensitive, then it would be religion.

A metre is a metre, if you're American, Australian, Hindu or Buddhist. The Moon orbits the Earth whether you're from a pygmy tribe in Africa or living in an igloo in the Arctic Circle. And a fish is an animal, ergo its flesh is meat, whether you believe in God, Allah, Jehovah, Shiva, Thor or Zeus.

Umm cheeze beat you to the punch there kestra

Like how they've bred turkeys so they're made of more white meat than dark. But this causes the turkeys to be so deformed they can never walk, and all breeding has to be done by insemination.

...It sounds icky, but I like my white meat. >w>

Personally I find it a shame, mostly because I like the dark meat so much more than the white meat and now it is so expensive to find a heritage turkey that has a better proportion of dark to white than the now normal turkey does.

Personally I find it a shame, mostly because I like the dark meat so much more than the white meat and now it is so expensive to find a heritage turkey that has a better proportion of dark to white than the now normal turkey does.

The dark meat holds all of the qualities I look for from cold turkey. Soft, kinda squishy, and moist not dry. White meat has soft. I like my dark meat. I am not saying white can't fit my qualities because it can it is just easier with dark.

Meat- the muscle tissue of any living animal.

The only local definition we have for the word... Think it includes fishes nicely, as well as 'fishmeat' is a proper term over here.

In my opion, eating meat is a choice. Though I think its the best thing in the world, others might think different. I know its cruel how they treat the animals the way they do, but if your a meat lover like me laugh.gif you'd find it hard to stop eating it. So its your choice, on days when you feel bad for the piggy that it on your plate, then don't eat it. I hope that helps

Funny, I prefer white turkey meat strongly over dark.

However, dark turkey meat is great in homemade turkey soup.

I have always preferred the legs and wings to the breasts. It really isn't the taste as much as the texture of the two. They taste exactly the same to me but the white meat has a dryer texture like it is powdering in your mouth whereas the dark has a moist one that doesn't powder.

Of course if cooked to a crisp then the dark meat is well rather chewy. I find even if the white is overcooked or even just right it will always be dry. Unless it is undercooked but that is bad for you. Or if you really screw up and is practically charcoal. Dark meat the more it cookes the chewyer it gets.

Yes, let's read definitions, shall we?

1 the flesh of an animal (esp. a mammal) as food : rabbit meat | [as adj. ] meat sandwiches | assorted meats.

• the flesh of a person's body : this'll put meat on your bones!

• the edible part of fruits or nuts.

• ( the meat of) the essence or chief part of something : he did the meat of the climb on the first day.

2  food of any kind.

____

meat n. --- the flesh of mammalian species, raised and prepared for human consumption, to the exclusion of fish and poultry.

_____

meat: n. --the clean flesh derived from slaughtered mammals and poultry and is limited to the part of the striate muscle which is skeletal of that which is found in the tongue, in the diaphragm, in the heart, or in the esophagus; with or without that accompanying and overlying fat.

___

pescetarian n. --- one whose diet includes fish but no meat.

___

THERE ARE MULTIPLE DEFINITIONS OF MEAT. "MEAT" IS A MEANINGLESS TERM THAT HAS NO STANDARDIZED MEANING.

By this definition, you're saying sponges and coral are "meat" because they are animals. Sponges are used in soup recipes, but I've never heard anyone consider them "meat." If you go with the idea that "all animals are meat," please account for these, and mind that you cannot change your definition, midway through.

Yes, let's read definitions:

Vegetarian

from dictionary.com:

–noun

a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.

2 : consisting wholly of vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, and sometimes eggs or dairy products vegetarian diet

thefreedictionary.com:

Noun 1. vegetarian - eater of fruits and grains and nuts; someone who eats no meat or fish or (often) any animal products

Discovery Health:

Definition

A vegetarian diet is a meal plan that contains little or no animal products.

Types of vegetarian diets include:

* Vegan: Diet consists of only foods of plant origin.

* Lacto-vegetarian: Diet consists of plant foods plus some or all dairy products.

* Lacto-ovovegetarian: Diet consists of plant foods, dairy products, and eggs.

* Semi- or partial vegetarian: Diet consists of plant foods and may include chicken or fish, dairy products, and eggs. It does not include red meat.

Wikipedia:

Vegetarianism is the practice of following a plant-based diet including fruits, vegetables, cereal grains, nuts, and seeds, mushrooms, which are fungi not plants, with or without dairy products and eggs. A vegetarian does not eat meat, including red meat, game, poultry, fish, crustacea, and shellfish, and may also abstain from by-products of animal slaughter such as animal-derived rennet, found in some cheeses, and gelatin.

Semi-vegetarianism is a term used to describe diets that are not vegetarian, but include less meat than typical diets. The term has no precise or widely accepted definition, but is generally defined as the avoidance of red meat or generally following a vegetarian diet, but eating meat occasionally. The term is sometimes used interchangeably with "flexitarianism".

Semi-vegetarian and flexitarian have been dubbed "problematic" and "diametrically opposed to vegetarianism" by critics.

Flexitarians avoid, but occasionally eat, meat. In 2003, the American Dialect Society voted flexitarian as the year's most useful word and defined it as "a vegetarian who occasionally eats meat".

Pollotarians eat chicken and other poultry, but not red meat.

Pescetarians eat fish and seafood, but not red meat or poultry.

----------------

One of my friends is eternally pissed that when she tells people she's a vegetarian, they think it's okay for her to eat fish. She has to explain to them that she's not a pescetarian, but rather a true vegetarian, which pisses off people who eat fish and call themselves vegetarians because they feel entitled to be called the same thing regardless of the definition because they were taught otherwise. It's gotten so bad that she's resorted to calling herself a vegan to avoid the lengthy discussion of why she can't eat fish, but recently that has brought up the point that she eats eggs and drinks milk, which has pissed off a vegan who claims she's being a poser.

I'm sorry but at some point what you are taught does not equal what it means in real life. If I were taught that women are possessions and that the only proper way to address a woman is to call her a censorkip.gif*, I'm sure as hell there would be quite a few people at my throat in an instant, and wouldn't buy my excuse that "That's what I was taught, thus is it true". People used to be taught that the Earth was flat and that the sun was dragged across the sky by a chariot, now we know that to be completely false. However, would you defend someone who claimed that the Flat Earth theory is true, just because they were taught that, or their culture dictates as such.

There's a difference between being culturally sensitive and losing a unified definition of words and ideas, and I think if people were educated on the matter that they wouldn't have a problem being called pescetarians. Even if they don't believe fish are considered meat, they can accept that pescetarians are people who are "vegetarians who eat fish".

Without this distinction we have multiple types of vegetarians running around, which (from the perspective of someone who has worked in a kitchen before) makes it difficult for the food service industry to clearly brand something as "vegetarian", as it may contradict the ideals of vegetarians, pescetarians, and/or pollotarians. As much of the food service industry defines vegetarianism to include the consumption of fish, it makes it difficult for true vegetarians and pollotarians to find places that cater to their definition of vegetarian.

Hell, we have parameters for the difference between crimson and scarlet, despite them both being generally "red". I don't think it's too hard to use these three terms in the proper fashion to distinguish between the groups.

-K-

Edited by Kamak

which (from the perspective of someone who has worked in a kitchen before) makes it difficult for the food service industry to clearly brand something as "vegetarian", as it may contradict the ideals of vegetarians, pescetarians, and/or pollotarians. As much of the food service industry defines vegetarianism to include the consumption of fish, it makes it difficult for true vegetarians and pollotarians to find places that cater to their definition of vegetarian.  Hell, we have parameters for the difference between crimson and scarlet, despite them both being generally "red". I don't think it's too hard to use these three terms in the proper fashion to distinguish between the groups.

Which, yes might work here, but iin other countries, it wouldn't, that's my point. Off the top of my head "Vegetarian" in Israel could possible include fish, because legally, in Israel, fish is not meat.

Wait...

If fish isn't a meat, then what is it?

If it's not a meat just because it swims in the ocean for its whole life, then dolphin meat isn't meat. But mudskipper meat is meat because they like to crawl around on land when they can.

If it's because it spends most of its life in water, then dolphin still isn't meat. Neither is seal or penguin, since they lead amphibious lives.

If it's because they have no feathers/ fur, then sea turtle meat is't meat. Neither is alligator meat or frog meat. Also, if a mammal has a deformity that causes it to have absolutely no hair on it, its meat must not be meat.

If it's just because some country's law says so, then I guess that entitles me to cane people in public for chewing gum, 'cause that's the law in Signapore.

The "vege" in vegetarian stands for "vegetable" or "plant". Not "plants plus fish".

On the main subject, I love meat. We're at the top of the food chain and we're omnivores. I can't live life without meat. Had to go a whole week without meat because my parents forgot to buy more at the store... I was miserable and exhausted until I got my meaties back.

Edited by sir_horsey_XIX

meat is GOOD. but if i actually thought about the process of making it while eating it, i would probabably throw up. or die.

The "vege" in vegetarian stands for "vegetable" or "plant". Not "plants plus fish".

Don't you know if you plant a fish in the ground you get a fish tree? tongue.gif

-K-

I love meat...but I only buy free range animal products from a local farm. It's nice to see the cows out grazing in a large field right next to the slaughter house. At least they have a decent life before they are killed.