Zeekaice

Meat

Yes, I agree with that.

I also can't stand people who claim themselves "vegetarians" and eat "only" fish and chicken or ham. blink.gif Or they eat meat occasionally.

The former just don't eat read meat.

The latter could be considered flexitarians, like, someone who doesn't eat meat on a regular basis, but just from time to time, to enliven their menu or to not make others feel uncomfortable around them on a public dinner.

Either way, yes, they aren't vegetarians.

And I don't understand how fish aren't meat. Of course, fish meat is different from red meat, but so is poultry. Edible non-intestinal tissue coming from an animal = meat!

Actually fish isn't considered meat. Plus there are varying forms of vegetarianism. Some eat fish, milk, eggs while others don't. They are all still vegetarians.

If your eating the flesh of an animal, it is considered meat, no matter the animal.

Vegetarianism is the practice of following a plant-based diet including fruits, vegetables, cereal grains, nuts, and seeds, mushrooms, which are fungi not plants, with or without dairy products and eggs. A vegetarian does not eat meat, including red meat, game, poultry, fish, crustacea, and shellfish, and may also abstain from by-products of animal slaughter such as animal-derived rennet, found in some cheeses, and gelatin.

I am a Carnivore I was born a carnivore and will die one, We are Designed to eat meat that's what your appendix are for in our ancestry we used to eat our meat raw and the appendix used to help digest that raw meat but because we now cook all are meet we no longer use them..so In a way to become a vegetarian is going against what we really are Carnivores...some people say that plants are alive and have a soul is it Murder to drag them out of the ground cook and eat them as well? if we start to think in this way we would never eat anything again I don't think a hungry animal predator would stop to think is it wrong of me to kill this human and eat it..No it would think hum something to stop me from starving to death, we eat things to survive just like the rest of the animal population of the planet..the difference is we make it much easier for ourselves by growing and processing the food instead of catching and killing it we get others to do it for us while others just enjoy the of eating it, so the question is!

Do I feel guilty about eating meat? Hell no!!!! tongue.gif

I like meat... but looking at it raw sickens me. I would like to become a vegan... but I have trouble stomaching vegetables for some reason. I don't know why...

I am a Carnivore I was born a carnivore and will die one, We are Designed to eat meat that's what your appendix are for in our ancestry we used to eat our meat raw and the appendix used to help digest that raw meat but because we now cook all are meet we no longer use them..so In a way to become a vegetarian is going against what we really are Carnivores...some people say that plants are alive and have a soul is it Murder to drag them out of the ground cook and eat them as well? if we start to think in this way we would never eat anything again I don't think a hungry animal predator would stop to think is it wrong of me to kill this human and eat it..No it would think hum something to stop me from starving to death, we eat things to survive just like the rest of the animal population of the planet..the difference is we make it much easier for ourselves by growing and processing the food instead of catching and killing it we get others to do it for us while others just enjoy the of eating it, so the question is!

Do I feel guilty about eating meat? Hell no!!!! :P

I completely disagree with all of this, I must say.

I have a question. If we are designed to eat meat, and only meat, therefore being a carnivore as you stated, then how come we have no weaponry? We don't have claws, we are not fast. We don't possess large canines. We have poor eyesight, no real defenses and not much strength. Our mouth has more of an omnivorous set-up. Cutting teeth at the front, grinding at the back. Humans are omnivores, not carnivores. The appendix also helps with the breakdown of more fibrous plant matter. So yes, we can eat meat, but in the early days we probably would have scavenged, until we gained our violent intelligence.

The only reason so many people eat meat today is because we gained a scary amount of intelligence, in which we could use to make tools. If you look closely at our closest relatives, the chimpanzees, you'll see the higher level of intelligence and tool building have made them more carnivorous and violent than their gentle cousins, the Gorilla.

Hmm, I'm seeing a slight pattern here. The higher the intelligence = the higher the violence. Although, thats a different matter.

So, anyways. Humans are omnivores, not carnivores.

Actually fish isn't considered meat. Plus there are varying forms of vegetarianism. Some eat fish, milk, eggs while others don't. They are all still vegetarians.

Fish is a meat.

Pescetarians (sp?) are people who eat only fish-meat.

Vegetarians don't touch anything that was once a living animal.

Vegans don't eat anything that is derived from a living animal.

Then you get the crazy hippies.

Haven't read the entire thread, so I dunno if this is mentioned/explained- My grandmother and a friend of mine both get, like, violently ill when they eat pork or beef. Red meat makes them sick, so they just stick to birds and fish. Anyone know why this is? Perhaps just the fatty content in the meat is too rich for their systems...?

Red meat intolerance is not uncommon - Amerylis can probably explain what precisely it is that they react to though.

Our equivalent of your Deer problem is Kangaroo's, and they are damn dangerous.

Our equivalent of your Deer problem is Kangaroo's, and they are damn delicious.
Edited by Kestra15

Of course I feel bad for the animals when I see those Animal Rights videos, but eating meat is part of our diets. I just don't believe in wasting the meat. If you're going to eat meat, might as well finish it and not let it be a waste of the poor creature's life.

This thread reminds me of my friend's failed attempt at going vegetarian. One day she came to me and was convinced that she was going to become a vegetarian. The next day, we went past Nandos and she saw one of their burritos. Her next words? "Okay, I'm still a vegetarian but I'll eat chicken today".

She couldn't resist. xP

I love my meat and I love my fruit/vegies too. ^^ I try to buy organic meats when I can regardless of cost, but since I lost my job, I need to buy the ordinary kind, sadly.

But I do my best. ^^ I do always get organic eggs regardless though.

human beings are clearly naturally omnivores (eaters of both meat and vegetation). Our teeth are a mix of those that carnivores (eaters of just meat) and herbivores have, showing an evolutionary path that proves we are able to process both.

So, I guess we have to say that meat of all kinds is just something of everyday life that omnivores and carnivores eat (well, most of them). If it weren't for the inventions of early weapons in those days, I wonder if we would have survived at all.

Actually fish isn't considered meat.

'Fish meat' is an actual word over here, as well as the tissue had the same basic role in nature.

Mmm... Seafood is my favorite. The only thing seafood I can't eat are clams, oysters and occasionally kalamari. When lent season comes around, I'm in heaven.

The rest of the year I'll also eat chicken, ham and beef. Turkey around thanksgiving, but I don't care for it deli sliced.

'Fish meat' is an actual word over here, as well as the tissue had the same basic role in nature.

Fish isn't recognized as meat by the meat packing industry. Poultry isn't either and the term is reserved exclusively for mammals.

Off the top of my head I can think of 3 diet types people do.

Pescaterion (This is the one I'm the least sure about.): Eat plant matter (Vegtables, fruits, so on), animal products (Milk, cheese, eggs so on), and seafood (Fish, crustaceans and so on)

Vegetarian: Eats plant matter and animal products.

Vegan: Only eats plant matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Butbut what about the funguses? :o They have feelings too, ya know.

But anyway. I don't eat meat because I wouldn't like to be killed, gutted, cooked and eaten. I don't think it's wrong to do so, but I feel it's wrong for me.

I am a Carnivore I was born a carnivore and will die one, We are Designed to eat meat that's what your appendix are for in our ancestry we used to eat our meat raw and the appendix used to help digest that raw meat but because we now cook all are meet we no longer use them..

Actually the appendix was used to process things high in cellulose to obtain energy from. Some monkeys still have functioning appendixes for this reason.

the lack of a functioning appendix (vestigial) means we can no longer function off of eating leaves, thus in sense, by the appendix being vestigial means we have to consume meat in addition to fruits for a diet.

If we still had a working appendix, people probably could survive not eating meat.

I eat meat, but I'm not overly big on it. My bf helps his dad out on the farm his dad runs and for a short while, my bf worked in a Butcher Shop before he met me and told me how they killed the animals and some of the ways are pretty down right just cruel and ignorant. But I eat it regardless. I did go vegetarian for about a year and my mother wasn't too pleased with me. I was 15 at the time and she thought I was just trying to lose weight faster. sleep.gif' No, no I just had a serious problem with the killing of animals. And still do.

As I tell a lot of people I know, I hold more respect for animals than fellow human beings and for various reasons at that.

I would rather eat seafood anyways but I don't know why, possibly something else I take after my father for and big time... I indulge in various types of fish and I love shrimp. I just can't down oysters and clams. I tried to once and my insides almost turned into outsides...

Pescaterion (This is the one I'm the least sure about.): Eat plant matter (Vegtables, fruits, so on), animal products (Milk, cheese, eggs so on), and seafood (Fish, crustaceans and so on)

^Is still considered vegetarian.^

Vegetarian: Eats plant matter and animal products.

Vegan: Only eats plant matter.

Each of these are examples of vegetarianism. Just in varying degrees of strictness in diet.

Health class is useful, no? .

on peeps saying that humans were meant to eat meat ... I differ in opinion , humans have a long intestinal path , usually found in herbiores as they require more processing of the food they eat.

i guess in the early days , it all came down on survival ... the people from my region had fertile soil and a variety of crops , they had the luxury of choosing what was gonna be on their plate ... but you move towards different geographical locations , it is not always the same ... you will find that most of the island nations have fish as their staple food ... well thats because they never had a choice on vegetables and fruits and fish was readily available to them.

on peeps saying that humans were meant to eat meat ... I differ in opinion , humans have a long intestinal path , usually found in herbiores as they require more processing of the food they eat.

i guess in the early days , it all came down on survival ... the people from my region had fertile soil and a variety of crops , they had the luxury of choosing what was gonna be on their plate ... but you move towards different geographical locations , it is not always the same ... you will find that most of the island nations have fish as their staple food ... well thats because they never had a choice on vegetables and fruits and fish was readily available to them.

We also have teeth consistent with omnivores. We humans were made to eat meat and vegetables.

Each of these are examples of vegetarianism. Just in varying degrees of strictness in diet.

Health class is useful, no? .

A vegan is a vegetarian, but not all vegetarians are vegans.

So don't make assumptions.

A vegan is a vegetarian, but not all vegetarians are vegans.

So don't make assumptions.

Did I say that? No, no I didn't.

I said each was a form of vegetarianism (the act of being a vegetarian). What makes each form different is the strictness of their diet.

Please read carefully befor making assumptions.

Do I feel guilty about eating meat? Hell no!!!! tongue.gif

^ You.

I'm going Carinvous (sp?) because I want to be closer to my draconic side. Meat, greens and fruit. Heh, caveman diet.

Personally, if someone is eating the flesh of some living thing that isn't a plant, I consider it meat. My grandmother insists chicken and fish isn't meat, but I keep telling her this. :I Meat is the flesh of a living organism. Now, there are differences in the meat, sure, but meat's meat.

So Pescatarians seem to be a bit in-between in the vegetarian scale. They do eat meat, but don't rely on it like the more omnivorous folks. I'm honestly never sure if I should call them 'vegetarians' outright or not.

...and kinda a side topic- Would insects be considered meat or their own thing? I've seen some fleshy insects before, maybe it just depends...

Personally, if someone is eating the flesh of some living thing that isn't a plant, I consider it meat. My grandmother insists chicken and fish isn't meat, but I keep telling her this. :I Meat is the flesh of a living organism. Now, there are differences in the meat, sure, but meat's meat.

So Pescatarians seem to be a bit in-between in the vegetarian scale. They do eat meat, but don't rely on it like the more omnivorous folks. I'm honestly never sure if I should call them 'vegetarians' outright or not.

...and kinda a side topic- Would insects be considered meat or their own thing? I've seen some fleshy insects before, maybe it just depends...

I call vegetables plant-meat. Inides of some fruits are called meat. I would think insects are meat. Just like fish and chicken.

I think ANYTHING alive has meat. That includes us.

^my POV