Zeekaice

Meat

ABCs of veganism:

Almonds, Brazil nuts, and cashews

THEY ARE NOM NOM NOM.

The hardest thing during my transition to full on vegetarianism is... well, I love shellfish, namely shrimp. But it won't be that hard for me because I don't eat meat as often as other people (although I was the type of person who really liked a good corndog).

Thank goodness they make tofu dogs. tongue.gif

Right now I eat a lot of whole grains and try really hard to incorporate veggies and fruit into my diet. Luckily I like salad and such.

Edited by Zarrexaij

Here be a better thing of information on that (for Vegans)

My opinion if you want to be any sort of specialized diet, you gotta do your research so you don't harm yourself doing that.

I know folk who went Vegan, and they end up sick because they're not covering everything they need in their diet.

My mum had a friend who was a health nut. One day said friend heard about how salt is bad (probably a person talking about their blood pressure). She then proceeded to cut salt entirely out of her diet.

Cue sick and a visit to the doctor.

Seconding this. Even just vegetarians can have trouble sometimes getting the necessary nutrients. Being located in a small town, a friend had to give up being a vegetarian while in college because the town could not provide the same stuff that bigger towns did, and was not able to maintain iron levels naturally.

Beans and lentils give an ample amount of non-heme iron. Heck, if one is paranoid over it, you can always lick a cast-iron pan. laugh.gif

The American Dietetic Association considers "appropriately planned" vegan diets "nutritionally adequate",but poorly planned vegan diets can be deficient in nutrients such as vitamin B12,, iron, vitamin D,calcium, iodine and omega-3 fatty acids. These deficiencies have potentially serious consequences, including anemia,rickets and cretinism in children, and osteomalacia and hypothyroidism in adults.

Vitamin D from food is small. Being in the sun will give you more, but supplementation is better. The RDA is 400 IU. Kaiser Permanente recommends 2000 IU. And since you have higher intake of Vitamin D3, less calcium is needed.

I find this arguing over whether a vegan diet is healthy or not ironic, though. People eat censorkip.gif all the time. It's one reason why they fortify cereals because the censorkip.gif that many people eat doesn't have any nutrients. Vegan stuff has proteins and other censorkip.gif at least.

My mum had a friend who was a health nut. One day said friend heard about how salt is bad (probably a person talking about their blood pressure). She then proceeded to cut salt entirely out of her diet.

They do have an excessive amount of salt for a lot processed foods, but it does depend on the person. Now they're starting to lower the content of salt. That was suppose to be done a long time ago.

I don't add any salt to my food, then again, I rely on the fact that many processed foods have it. /omnomnom crisps

Sushi - never tried it, don't want to. I get all itchy in the presence of raw fish and don't like the smell.

Cue sick and a visit to the doctor.

Yeah, low salt intake can be as bad for you (and a lot more swiftly) that a salt intake thats far too high. I've seen it a few times at festivals (where people tend not to eat much, and a lot of what they eat has little to no salt in it, at least in my experience) where people in the pit have suddenly come over very, very faint and on the brink of collapse. It's one of the reasons we always take crisps to festivals with us - they've got bucket loads of salt in and a single pack can often do to keep you in salt for the entire day.

Extremely low-salt diets have also been found to cause muscle cramps and increase the risk of heart attacks. Like everything else salt should be taken in moderation. Too much is bad for you, and too little is bad for you. Everything in balance wink.gif

Edited to add: Zarr - my sister has been a full vegetarian for several years now, I've gtot a few good veggie recipies we cook when she's over that taste just as good to my (meat adjusted) palette as they seem to taste to hers. I'm willing to share if you, or anyone else, wants them.

Edited by TikindiDragon

I don't add any salt to my food, then again, I rely on the fact that many processed foods have it. /omnomnom crisps

Sushi - never tried it, don't want to. I get all itchy in the presence of raw fish and don't like the smell.

I don't add salt either, though that's mostly because of how I was raised. My parents never added much salt, so thus I never added any. It's very rare that I put salt on anything, even if it's cooked.

I don't add salt either, though that's mostly because of how I was raised. My parents never added much salt, so thus I never added any. It's very rare that I put salt on anything, even if it's cooked.

If it's already processed food that isn't a problem, if you're cooking everything yourself from scratch then you do need to use salt.

Vegetables should always be cooked in salted water anyway. It lowers the boiling point of the water, which helps you cooke them quicker and keep the nutrients in, and it helps with the taste so you shouldn't need to salt the meal when it hits the table.

If it's already processed food that isn't a problem, if you're cooking everything yourself from scratch then you do need to use salt.

Vegetables should always be cooked in salted water anyway. It lowers the boiling point of the water, which helps you cooke them quicker and keep the nutrients in, and it helps with the taste so you shouldn't need to salt the meal when it hits the table.

I'll keep that last part in mind next time I steam carrots. I LOVE steamed carrots biggrin.gif But yeah, my diet is horrible nowadays (usually eating one small meal a day) and I know I'm not getting what I need nutritionally. I'm working on it though.

EDIT: BAD TYPO. BAD.

Edited by War Pig Killer

I'll keep that last part in mind next time I steam carrots. I LOVE steamed carrots biggrin.gif But yeah, my diet is horrible nowadays (usually eating one small meal a day) and I know I'm not getting what I need nutritionally. I'm working on it though.

EDIT: BAD TYPO. BAD.

Probably doesn't apply to steaming, unless you want the water to turn into steam quicker. Salt doesn't stay in steam, so it would never reach the vegetables unless they're in the water.

Try vitamin supplements if you're having issues with food. They're not as good as getting it from the food, but they can still halp to make sure you're getting what you need.

Meat is part of our biological need. If you notice, people who don't eat meat or fish tend to be deficient in one vitamin or mineral. Without the aid of supplements people who don't eat meat tend to be in a lot of trouble.

Evolution made humans omnivores. Or if you don't believe in evolution, then the Higher Power(s) that Be made it so that we can be and are sustained by meat.

The point is, our bodies know naturally what we need. And when our bodies crave meat, or salt, or fruit, then that means that is what we typically need. The reason why a type of food becomes bad is because of how humans tend to eat in excess, especially in this day and age in the USA. Or if a person doesn't eat in excess, then they eat the low quality cheap food that has very little value when it comes to a person's health.

Yes, meat is important and people should eat it. But it's a personal choice, and you can't force someone to eat or not to eat meat.

Probably doesn't apply to steaming, unless you want the water to turn into steam quicker. Salt doesn't stay in steam, so it would never reach the vegetables unless they're in the water.

Try vitamin supplements if you're having issues with food. They're not as good as getting it from the food, but they can still halp to make sure you're getting what you need.

Alright, I'll remember that. Thanks, Tiki.

The point is, our bodies know naturally what we need. And when our bodies crave meat, or salt, or fruit, then that means that is what we typically need. The reason why a type of food becomes bad is because of how humans tend to eat in excess, especially in this day and age in the USA. Or if a person doesn't eat in excess, then they eat the low quality cheap food that has very little value when it comes to a person's health.

Well, not quite. Right now I crave a massive sirloin steak with curly fries and heaps of mayonaisse with a pot of Strawberry Cheesecake Ice-Cream. It's mainly because I enjoy it, and partially because I've reduced my daily intake of food in order to have a more healthy lifestyle.

Edited by Kestra15

Well, not quite. Right now I crave a massive sirloin steak with curly fries and heaps of mayonaisse with a pot of Strawberry Cheesecake Ice-Cream. It's mainly because I enjoy it, and partially because I've reduced my daily intake of food in order to have a more healthy lifestyle.

Your body wants protein, carbohydrate and fats. Quite normal, I'd say.

I prefer all my vegetables raw except corn, which I prefer on the cob BBQ'd or baked, and the vegetables I don't like like water chestnuts. I think those are vegetables.

I prefer all my meat thoroughly cooked for health reasons except red meat which I like a bit bloody, medium-rare.

I have no problem with vegetarians when they make the choice as adults, or even if they raise their children as vegetarians, so long as if a doctor says: "You need to feed your child THIS, they do it.

I live in California, it's a mecca for vegetarians, and as such, I see cases every year where we're forced to investigate good, loving parents when their child is malnourished or being stunted developmentally, but they won't add meat to his diet, because they're against it.

When you put the lives of animals above the lives of your children, then I have issues.

When you put the lives of animals above the lives of your children, then I have issues.

True. Even children can understand what they eat and if it involves killing an animal. If they still wish to continue consuming meat, then let them. Besides, forcing, let's say a seven-year-old, to eat only fruits, vegetables and cereals is never a good choice. They need more proteins than an adult, in order to grow and develop properly.

Besides the fact that vegetables (especially beans) are mostly an acquired taste for most people. Kids frankly don't like bitter foods, and vegetables are some of the most bitter natural foods available. You can't force kids to eat salads or celery, or even onions.

The kids will either have to take plenty of vitamin supplements, or will have to consume meat to get the nutrients they need.

I don't really care what lifestyle you choose, but don't choose the lifestyle for your kids (this includes careers, sexuality, and, in this case, diet).

-K-

I've been a vegetarian for 6 years now, and I love it. I first became a vegetarian after seeing a truck full of hogs going to slaughter when I was 14. A lot of them had bloody noses and a few even had broken limbs sticking out of the truck; broken from them struggling to get them unstuck.

I don't think I could even entertain the thought of eating meat until major reform was made to the way animals are killed for consumption. Ignorant people who believe that animals are lesser beings disgust me. Just because they don't speak your language doesn't mean they can't die painfully and full of fear like you would under similar circumstances.

I rely on soy products, protein bars, and multivitamins to keep my protein levels up. I don't mind. I'll take a veggie bacon and sausage biscuit over a regular one any day.

I've been a vegetarian for 6 years now, and I love it. I first became a vegetarian after seeing a truck full of hogs going to slaughter when I was 14. A lot of them had bloody noses and a few even had broken limbs sticking out of the truck; broken from them struggling to get them unstuck.

I don't think I could even entertain the thought of eating meat until major reform was made to the way animals are killed for consumption. Ignorant people who believe that animals are lesser beings disgust me. Just because they don't speak your language doesn't mean they can't die painfully and full of fear like you would under similar circumstances.

I rely on soy products, protein bars, and multivitamins to keep my protein levels up. I don't mind. I'll take a veggie bacon and sausage biscuit over a regular one any day.

Ouch. Yeah, I try not to support companies that blantantly abuse animals like that.

But just out of curiosity (thanks to the convo above), if you had kids, would you force them to be vegetarian even if it ended up making them malnourished?

As much as I would want to, I would not force them to be vegetarians. Since my decision was strictly personal, I have no right to force my decision upon them. (I get this question ALL the time, lol.) My boyfriend of 4 years isn't a vegetarian, and as much as I would like that he become one, I've never asked. I can't make decisions for other people, whether they be my flesh and blood or not.

That said, I would educate them once they were old enough. Give them the facts, and let them decide for themselves. I wouldn't show them biased videos like from PETA and SHARK, but I would find some information for them that was as unbiased as possible. And even if they made the choice to stay omnivorous, I wouldn't hold it against them. Since myself and my future husband will cook in our house, they will have a taste of both styles of eating.

And there are ways to raise a child vegetarian without them becoming malnourished. You just have to make sure you have the things you need. You'll end up making more of the food you use, more than likely, but I don't see how that could be a bad thing, as long as you were able to do it.

As much as I would want to, I would not force them to be vegetarians. Since my decision was strictly personal, I have no right to force my decision upon them. (I get this question ALL the time, lol.) My boyfriend of 4 years isn't a vegetarian, and as much as I would like that he become one, I've never asked. I can't make decisions for other people, whether they be my flesh and blood or not.

That said, I would educate them once they were old enough. Give them the facts, and let them decide for themselves. I wouldn't show them biased videos like from PETA and SHARK, but I would find some information for them that was as unbiased as possible. And even if they made the choice to stay omnivorous, I wouldn't hold it against them. Since myself and my future husband will cook in our house, they will have a taste of both styles of eating.

And there are ways to raise a child vegetarian without them becoming malnourished. You just have to make sure you have the things you need. You'll end up making more of the food you use, more than likely, but I don't see how that could be a bad thing, as long as you were able to do it.

It isn't possible in all cases. In fact, it isn't possible in a lot of cases. If you get a average, non-allergy, non-premie, no medical issues child, yes, there are ways to do it safely, but in a lot of cases there just aren't.

I was in a family of omnivores. That and my grandma tended to overfeed us tongue.gif so I never had to worry about malnutrition.

It's still perfectly possible to be lacking nutrients while getting a good dose of calories.

Oh, definitely not saying it's never possible. The above conversation just made me wonder. ^^

So then let's ask sort of the opposite question. Big meat eaters, would you force your child (let's go with not quite a teen yet, but up to tweens) to eat meat if they wanted to be a vegetarian, even if becoming a vegetarian didn't malnourish them?

True. My parents always made full rounded meals and no desert if we didn't eat any fruit.

When I have kids I will let them decide.

Edited by crazywargod