Zeekaice

Meat

"Fish is considered a meat. Some might say that this conclusion is too simplistic, but it is really not. The only thing complicated about this matter is trying to classify a meat as something other than meat. It is a protein, and it comes from an animal. That is it, plain and simple. The only reason there is any debate is because people want to avoid thinking that they are eating meat. If you are eating fish, then you are eating meat."

Quoted from this site

And a comment from a user on that site

"It would be hard to define it as a vegetable, fruit or grain. Must be meat."

Lol.

I have no problems with vegetarianism, as long as it doesn't put anyone in danger.

However, I see it a lot, where vegetarians take it way too far, and a such, get their children taken away because they will not change a child's diet when necessary because of vegetarian values.

As far as fish being or not being a meat, it depends on your definition and what language you are using. In English, yes it is a meat.

I have no problems with vegetarianism, as long as it doesn't put anyone in danger.

However, I see it a lot, where vegetarians take it way too far, and a such, get their children taken away because they will not change a child's diet when necessary because of vegetarian values.

As far as fish being or not being a meat, it depends on your definition and what language you are using. In English, yes it is a meat.

It's still classified as an animal worldwide.

It's a multi-cellular eukaryote creature and it takes food from primary producers (plants) or primary/secondary/ect. consumers (all animals)- heterotroph

It has no cell wall and cannot carry out photosynthesis

that's (part) of the scientific definition of an animal.

A cow is an animal - it is meat.

A chicken is an animal - it is meat.

Hell, an alligator is an animal, people eat it - it is meat.

A fish is an animal.

therefore logically, it is meat if eaten.

Sponges, Clams, Lobsters, Scorpions, Spiders are all animals. People eat those too and those are considered meat (except for sponges... people don't eat those.... that I know of)

It's still classified as an animal worldwide.

It's a multi-cellular eukaryote creature and it takes food from primary producers (plants) or primary/secondary/ect. consumers (all animals)- heterotroph

It has no cell wall and cannot carry out photosynthesis

that's (part) of the scientific definition of an animal.

A cow is an animal - it is meat.

A chicken is an animal - it is meat.

Hell, an alligator is an animal, people eat it - it is meat.

A fish is an animal.

therefore logically, it is meat if eaten.

Sponges, Clams, Lobsters, Scorpions, Spiders are all animals. People eat those too and those are considered meat (except for sponges... people don't eat those.... that I know of)

Classified by who is my point. yes, the scientific community does, but my point is that many cultures have categories beyond "animal, vegetable and mineral."

Classified by who is my point. yes, the scientific community does, but my point is that many cultures have categories beyond "animal, vegetable and mineral."

then give me an example (I'm a scientist and I need facts and research)

What is a fish if people do not consider it an animal?

Cultural examples aren't going to have "facts and research."

And what fish are considered animals or not?

I have a betta - observing it's behavior, I consider it an animal.

If I decided to eat it (which I wouldn't, it's a pet), does it become something else?

People need to consider fish meat. Plus, if vegetarians dont eat meat and they eat fish...doesnt that mean they are betraying what they believe in...?

People need to consider fish meat. Plus, if vegetarians dont eat meat and they eat fish...doesnt that mean they are betraying what they believe in...?

Depends. My friend's only meat is fish, she's pescatarian. But she's veggie otherwise.

But if someone says they're hardcore veggie-head, then yeah. Eating fish isn't exceptions.

Well, for example, In Sinti culture, fish is considered a separate category from animals, they are considered "pani yata". Animal is called "Tiu," because in Sinti culture, an animal is defined by the properties it gives. What you call meat can only come from "tiu" in Sinti culture.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary dates the origin of the term "pescetarian" to 1993 and defines it to mean: "one whose diet includes fish but no meat."

That's like saying "What do you call an egg if you do not consider it meat"

And what fish are considered animals or not?

I have a betta - observing it's behavior, I consider it an animal.

If I decided to eat it (which I wouldn't, it's a pet), does it become something else?

Simple, it falls into a third category.

Let me put it another way. in this culture, and in science, we have reptiles and we have mammals, yes?

To some cultures, the idea of "animal, vegetable, and mineral" is like these categories. To them, calling fish meat is like calling an amphibian a reptile because it "kind of" fits.

"What's an amphibian if not a reptile?"

"It's an amphibian."

"What is a fish if not an animal?"

"...It's a fish."

I still don't understand how it's not a meat.

Some culture with absolutely no research (not dissing a culture - obviously mainstream things like Christianity - which I follow, have no real research) on something that HAS had extensive research done on it, that's not something the rest of the world that lives in the present can hold on to.

I have to say, if you're on the internet, you've been in a science class, and you've learned about the animal kingdom, and you know fish are in it.

Everything else in the animal kingdom is considered meat, I don't see how fish are excluded from that.

It breathes oxygen and when you cut it open it bleeds. How is that not an animal, how is it not meat?

A shark is a fish, and it is an animal, and people eat it. What do people consider that? Meat, vegetable, "pani yata"?

People eat whale. It lives in the water but is a mammal. Is that meat when people consume it?

edit: In science, classes of animals are defined by similar internal traits. However, they all fall under the same phylum and kingdom - which ultimately puts them as closer together than say, a mushroom, a carrot, and a malaria virus

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

Some people don't see fish as meat though. Definitions are very shakey things and can easily be interpreted differently.

Actually, the only thing shaky is society's perception of what the word means based on the practice of people who claim to be X. Vegetarians, by definition, only eat vegetables, however, because of the practices of vegetarians (due in part by how the practice of vegetarianism has spread (via dietary books, word of mouth, etc.), it has become a common perception by the public (including vegetarians themselves) that eating fish is perfectly fine for a vegetarian to do (fine as in "If they do it, they can still be called vegetarians" and that they have never lapsed from the vegetarian lifestyle). However, despite the public opinion on the meaning of this word, people who consume fish but no other type of meat aren't vegetarians, just as tomatoes are officially a fruit because they grow off of trees and contain seeds, like all other fruits, yet people still think they can be called a vegetable.

When people call themselves something when it doesn't apply to them, they are not only misrepresenting the idea/movement/lifestyle choice for everyone else to see, but they're misrepresenting themselves. I could call myself a cannibal and eat nothing but burgers, however, since I'm human and I'm not consuming any part of a human (well, let's assume no humans were harmed in the making of those burgers), it's not really cannibalism, and the only thing I'm doing is spreading misinformation to people who see me and associate the word cannibal with my actions rather than what it actually is.

There is some gray area with certain words. Feminism can be defined as the movement meant to bring equality between the genders, or in the case of certain feminists, to prove to be superior to the male gender. However, in the case of vegetarians, the ground rules for being classified as such is "the consumption of non-meat products" and as it stands, fish is, and always has been (scientifically speaking), considered a meat.

As for the culture thing, while I can understand that different cultures have different viewpoints on certain things, however I doubt the majority of vegetarians in the United States believe that fish aren't meat for a specific reason other than "vegetarians can eat it, ergo, it's not meat". So while the cultural differences can be a factor, they aren't the majority contributors to the misinformed view on fish and vegetarianism.

-K-

Edited by Kamak

I still don't understand how it's not a meat.

Some culture with absolutely no research (not dissing a culture - obviously mainstream things like Christianity - which I follow, have no real research) on something that HAS had extensive research done on it, that's not something the rest of the world that lives in the present can hold on to.

I have to say, if you're on the internet, you've been in a science class, and you've learned about the animal kingdom, and you know fish are in it.

Everything else in the animal kingdom is considered meat, I don't see how fish are excluded from that.

It breathes oxygen and when you cut it open it bleeds. How is that not an animal, how is it not meat?

A shark is a fish, and it is an animal, and people eat it. What do people consider that? Meat, vegetable, "pani yata"?

People eat whale. It lives in the water but is a mammal. Is that meat when people consume it?

Meat authorities disagree with you, though.

The term "meat" is used by the meat packing industry in the more restrictive sense—the flesh of mammalian species (pigs, cattle, etc.) raised and prepared for human consumption, to the exclusion of fish and poultry.

Because you're defining meat from your point of view. Another culture sefines it differently.

It's like saying love in different languages, it doesn't always mean the same thing. You're defining animal widely, others don't. A huge example would be someone defining animal as "something that breathes with lungs".

By that definition, which would be an example from the Navajo, a fish is not an animal. By observing a fish's behavior a fish is not an animal, because the definition is not the same.

Edited by ShinyTomato

Meat authorities disagree with you, though.

The term "meat" is used by the meat packing industry in the more restrictive sense—the flesh of mammalian species (pigs, cattle, etc.) raised and prepared for human consumption, to the exclusion of fish and poultry.

You should have defined that for me rather than making cultural references - a culture very few people - in consideration of the population - still follow.

I argue less over facts rather than opinion of a culture.

You should have defined that for me rather than making cultural references - a culture very few people - in consideration of the population - still follow.

I argue less over facts rather than opinion of a culture.

My entire POINT is that not everyone defines things like "animal" and "meat" the same.

Throwing in my two cents.

Fish are not meat. Fish are parve, not basari‎.

[/Hands computer back to wife]

Salmon steak, Noble?

This brings me to a question: what is an alot.png?

Edit: I always spell your name that way.

Edited by Alpha1

Salmon steak, Noble?

What does that have to do with anything? You can have a julienne of balsa, it doesn't make it potatoes.

This brings me to a question: what is an alot.png.png?

What is a what?

Edited by NobleOwl

This brings me to a question: what is an alot.png?

Pixels on a computer screen. You can try eating it if you want, but I don't think your monitor would be very tasty...

What does that have to do with anything? You can have a julienne of balsa, it doesn't make it potatoes.

Never mind that. I'm just being a smart@$$. It's a steak, so it's a slice of delicious meat.

What is a what?

xd.png

An a lot <----- put it together alot.png lol

Never mind that. I'm just being a smart@$$. It's a steak, so it's a slice of delicious meat.

xd.png

An a lot <----- put it together alot.png lol

-->alot.png' target='_blank'>A lot

And you can say ass on here, it's not censored.

Edited by Vexx

I would love to become a vegetarian.

However, I am to addicted to the taste of meat to stop xd.png.

I cannot stand any sea food. Nor do I consider Fish an animal.

Why?

The meat. It is very different for that of lets say, a cow. Or even any other mammal.

Most fish aren't too bright either. Most animals you can teach to do tricks, or have a wide variety of behaviors.

Fish don't have that big of a variety.