Zeekaice

Meat

Oh, definitely not saying it's never possible. The above conversation just made me wonder. ^^

So then let's ask sort of the opposite question. Big meat eaters, would you force your child (let's go with not quite a teen yet, but up to tweens) to eat meat if they wanted to be a vegetarian, even if becoming a vegetarian didn't malnourish them?

Wouldn't force them. But I'm not going to make the rest of the family eat veggie too -- if I'm gonna make steak that night, I'd probably make a vegetable dish to go with it, but I would not make them a whole meal just for them. They can make their own vegetarian meals if they want to, but I won't.

Oh, definitely not saying it's never possible. The above conversation just made me wonder. ^^

So then let's ask sort of the opposite question. Big meat eaters, would you force your child (let's go with not quite a teen yet, but up to tweens) to eat meat if they wanted to be a vegetarian, even if becoming a vegetarian didn't malnourish them?

I would ask that they keep marime in the house, but other than that, I would have no problem with it, so long as they did not make themselves sick over it.

If they were old enough, I would ask them to cook and prepare their meals themselves, for I would not force the rest of the family to turn vegetarian to please the child. I doubt that I would have the time to prepare two meals, and plus, I honestly believe more kids need to learn to cook before they reach college, it certainly does no harm.

I honestly believe more kids need to learn to cook before they reach college, it certainly does no harm.

I agree with this completely. I would love it if high schools made it mandatory for students to at least take a basic cooking class. It's amazing how many people don't know how to make a basic plate of spaghetti at 18.

I honestly believe more kids need to learn to cook before they reach college, it certainly does no harm. 

+1

Heck, learning other skills like sowing, washing dishes, even doing laundry might be necessary. >_>

+1

Heck, learning other skills like sowing, washing dishes, even doing laundry might be necessary. >_>

That is something that should be taught in the home. My parents taught me. Washing dishes and laundry.

I took my own initiative and learned to cook on my own.

Point is it isn't.

Maybe not every family but everybody I knew knew how to wash dishes and do laundry. Unless they took initiative, and a few of them I highly doubt did, it was taught by their parents.

Maybe not every family but everybody I knew knew how to wash dishes and do laundry. Unless they took initiative, and a few of them I highly doubt did, it was taught by their parents.

Well, not everyone was taught. I know people that weren't.

So do I.

But cooking class/food handling is a must. Especially stuff like handling raw meat >.>

So do I.

But cooking class/food handling is a must. Especially stuff like handling raw meat >.>

I will agree there.

I said maybe not every family. I know it is possible. It was just everybody I knew at least. I think parents should do it.

So do I.

The people that work in my university's dining hall don't even know how to do that properly. It's one pair of gloves per person. So, straight from meat to cheese to lettuce to olives. So when a vegetarian like me gets anything from that line, it's always a hit or miss of whether you'll have a chunk of turkey in with your lettuce/olive/pickle wrap.

I'll agree with CWG on this one - it should be something that you learn at home, not at school. Sorry, but as a teacher we barely have enough hours in the week to teach them what we're supposed to be teaching them and picking up the slack from where their parents aren't teaching them how to be decent human beings already. Why should we waste more time we don't have trying to do even more so that their parents can do even less?

...which is exactly what I wasn't taught. It might explain why while living in Germany last year I felt malnourished - because I had little idea how to cook a proper meal, nor did I had the time to experiment, plus add the fact that half of my homies were vegetarian and I didn't want to bother them with a continuous flow of the smell of meat..

And nowadays I don't feel like spending much time in the kitchen due to my stay-at-home-working father's obnoxious tendency to comment everything I do, especially if he thinks I'm doing it wrong (wrong = everything that differs from his possible course of action). He once started yelling at me about the way I cut cheese. :T

Edited by lightbird

A great deal of people (typically within the age of 15 to 24) Don't know how to cook. Part of the reason is because families have been dependent on instameals for so long. I mean, I don't really know how to cook a wide range of things, but at least I know the basic rules about handling food. Couldn't get my food handlers card without knowing the basics. And at least I know how to use an electric skillet and a crockpot.

I don't think I'd let my children become vegetarians unless certain criteria were met. 1] a trusted doctor could tell me that my child would be fine without meat. 2] They understand what their diet must include to make up for the lack of meat. 3] Their old enough to make the decision based on facts instead of "I wanna". 4] They have to be safe about their diet.

The reason for the last one is because I had a friend who decided to be a vegetarian. Unfortunately she also had epilepsy and had a couple other health problems. Her doctor TOLD her she had to have at least fish and dairy or else her health problems would get worse. Well when our orchestra went on a tour in China, she decided she was going to cut out fish and dairy altogether. She had an epilepsy attack on the great wall. After that she had to stay near the doctor in our 400+ group of people to make sure she ate what she was supposed too. She was 19 or 20 at the time and she wasn't safe about her diet, which resulted in her nearly being sent home.

I forgot I even posted in here (I don't visit this forum much), and missed the debate. Zarrexaij, I simply meant that humans have evolved as omnivores. We've got the capability to eat, and gain nutrition from, both plant life and animal life. Some people will choose to eat meat, some not. I eat grain, fruit, and dairy only, given choice. It's lovely to have choice, and that's what life is about. If I offended you, that was not intended, although I will admit I was purposefully vague to instigate a debate, and it seems to have worked in my absence wink.gif although it was a bit more heated than I would have imagined.

To the new topic, and I'm not addressing anyone in particular:

Cooking. I agree, people should really learn how. It's useful, it's a life skill, really, and there are situations which could throw you into having to fend for yourself (not rely on something pre-made or frozen or somesuch). There's a lot of different techniques for cooking, but just the basics are enough to make a few boring ingredients into an appealing, or at least edible, dish. It's not very difficult; hell, there's plenty of recipes to follow from all sources, if you don't want to make your own. smile.gif

Speaking as a second-year college student who dumped the dining halls this year, YESYESYESYESYES to kids need to learn how the hell to cook. I don't care if it's done at home or in the schools, but it needs to happen.

I won't mention the time I microwaved a bagel for 2 and 1/2 minutes or my roommate left rice to cook for 10-15 without watching it or how I keep forgetting I have to THAW frozen stuff before I cook it but I've heard horror stories of kids here royally ****ing up food and making a huge mess of something that really could have been simple.

-is so glad she took that cooking class/is a fast learner with food ._.-

Granted, it's simpler stuff, but I do have the basic grasp on how to make stuff that is both edible and fully cooked xd.png I even know how to make bacon in like, three different ways (frying, baking, and microwaving. Delicious meat is delicious no matter what.)

-is so glad she took that cooking class/is a fast learner with food ._.-

Granted, it's simpler stuff, but I do have the basic grasp on how to make stuff that is both edible and fully cooked xd.png I even know how to make bacon in like, three different ways (frying, baking, and microwaving. Delicious meat is delicious no matter what.)

How exactly do you bake bacon?

I know about microwaving and frying, but baking.

*runs off to google*

Hiya to all. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth. I personally am not against eating meat, but nor am I against those who choose not to ( as long as they don't try to persuade me that I am ethically wrong for eating meat ). I think that this is a personal choice on a person's part and all.I think personally it is OK as long as the animal was well cared for and not mistreated. I am not sure I could give up eating meat (especially chicken and turkey, yum) and definitely would have a hard time giving up dairy ( I LOVE milk). On that though my fam definitely eats more poultry than red meat. For those who choose to abstain from meat, that is cool with me too.

On another note I have noticed noone else brought this up; anyone else bothered by folks who put their pets ( dogs and cats , for example), creatures that are basically carnivores by nature and require meat for proper nutrition ( more so than we humans) on vege diets simply because they do not believe in eating meat. I do not think this is cool.

Edited by JavaTiger

How exactly do you bake bacon?

I know about microwaving and frying, but baking.

*runs off to google*

Just stick it on a cookie sheet and in the oven xd.png

I think eating meat is part of the natural order for carnivores so eat meat xd.png

There's the simple matter that we're not carnivores though... We're omnivores.

Just stick it on a cookie sheet and in the oven xd.png

*headtilt* For how long and how good is it?

Survey says: How do you like meat cooked: baked, fried (deep fried), shoved in a crock-pot for a day, etc?

*headtilt* For how long and how good is it?

Survey says: How do you like meat cooked: baked, fried (deep fried), shoved in a crock-pot for a day, etc?

I forget exactly how long, but it comes out pretty good. Depending on how long you set it, it's much crispier than microwave or frying.

Microwave: Good if you just want that bacon taste and chewiness. Frying: Best for some chew, some crunch. Oven-baked: best if you're all about crunch.

As for meat... I love all meat equally, no matter how it's cooked biggrin.gif (As long as it's fairly well done- no pink for me.)