Im a vegan. I do it to help save the world though, not because I think it's better for the animals. If everyone in North America didn't eat meat for a day, it would be like taking a few million cars off the roads.

But i do feel that if you have some type of animal product with dinner, don't let it go to waste, eat it all.

Im a vegan. I do it to help save the world though, not because I think it's better for the animals. If everyone in North America didn't eat meat for a day, it would be like taking a few million cars off the roads.

Wait how? That makes NO sense.

crazywargod, the fact you don't understand it/believe it, doesn't mean it makes no sense. It is actually proven, that same amount of meat takes much more resources (and therefore money) than vegetables, fruit, cereal...

I am vegetarian because I don't wanna kill animals (and I couldn't do it) and I think it is pathetic to eat animals someone killed for us. It's my opinion and my decision.

However all of my friends and my family are meat eaters. I do respect them and they respect me. I have never had any problem with that. (I also don't try to convince anyone. And I expect the same from them.)

Sorry for my English, hope you can understand.

crazywargod, the fact you don't understand it/believe it, doesn't mean it makes no sense. It is actually proven, that same amount of meat takes much more resources (and therefore money) than vegetables, fruit, cereal...

I am vegetarian because I don't wanna kill animals (and I couldn't do it) and I think it is pathetic to eat animals someone killed for us. It's my opinion and my decision.

However all of my friends and my family are meat eaters. I do respect them and they respect me. I have never had any problem with that. (I also don't try to convince anyone. And I expect the same from them.)

Sorry for my English, hope you can understand.

That STILL makes NO sense. Try explaining it a bit more.

Wait how? That makes NO sense.

Technically it's true, because of all of the methane produced by animals and the gasoline used to ship them around. However, to not eat meat for 1 day is going to have little to no impact on the market. Not everyone eats meat daily to begin with, and a day is nothing to the corporations. It's not going to halt the transportation of meat across the country, it's not going to cause cows to stop expelling gases into the environment, and it's not going to slow down the rate at which the cows are giving birth (especially with a gestation period roughly equivalent to a human female's). If anything I week would have a more realistic impact, but even then, the corporations will know that eventually the majority of people will return to eating meat after the period of time is done (and at that point you're only wasting meat).

So while it's "true" on paper, it's highly ineffective, because stopping the transportation and life processes of animals raised for meat isn't the same as deciding to not take a drive in your car. It's more like you decided to stay home and your car is running all day. The world is being polluted whether you eat meat today or not, and nothing short of America going a month without meat is going to have a noticeable impact on the environment (and only then it'll be in the future when companies cut down on the number of cattle they raise for slaughtering, after all of the meat in the market for an entire month spoils, which is waste).

-K-

Oh please, I am pretty sure it wasn't meant to be taken literally. Have you ever heard about hyperbole?

The point is: meat production is more expensive than non-meat and lowering the amount of meat produced (and consumed) worldwide would definitely help our economy.

Edited by Aamaranthine

Technically it's true, because of all of the methane produced by animals and the gasoline used to ship them around. However, to not eat meat for 1 day is going to have little to no impact on the market. Not everyone eats meat daily to begin with, and a day is nothing to the corporations. It's not going to halt the transportation of meat across the country, it's not going to cause cows to stop expelling gases into the environment, and it's not going to slow down the rate at which the cows are giving birth (especially with a gestation period roughly equivalent to a human female's). If anything I week would have a more realistic impact, but even then, the corporations will know that eventually the majority of people will return to eating meat after the period of time is done (and at that point you're only wasting meat).

So while it's "true" on paper, it's highly ineffective, because stopping the transportation and life processes of animals raised for meat isn't the same as deciding to not take a drive in your car. It's more like you decided to stay home and your car is running all day. The world is being polluted whether you eat meat today or not, and nothing short of America going a month without meat is going to have a noticeable impact on the environment (and only then it'll be in the future when companies cut down on the number of cattle they raise for slaughtering, after all of the meat in the market for an entire month spoils, which is waste).

-K-

Thank you Kamak. THAT makes sense.

You can't say not eating meat for a day helps the enviroment and leave it at that. That makes NO sense. You have to explain why it helps the enviroment. Plus as Kamak said it won't help unless it was for like a month and then you just killed what 20 or 30 cows for nothing.

Personally, I love meat. I crave meat, some days. And call me weird, but I can't have it rare. It's gotta be well done and slightly difficult to chew. None of this 'still moo-ing' stuff my uncle likes. Also, my body simply does not absorb iron from non-red-meat sources. If I don't eat my meat, I get severely anemic, which just sucks. Particularly if I'm working with horses. My reaction time slows by several seconds, which could literally get me killed with some of the horses I work with. You know how you feel with sinus issues? Imagine that fog, but without the pressure.

Now, I love my fruits and veggies too. My ideal dish involves a colorful array of veggies, fruit salad, and an enormous steak with a glass of properly made Southern-style sweet tea. Bonus for mesquite barbecue sauce, because, honestly, that stuff is finger-lickin' good. Seriously, if you don't like it, you've never had it made properly.

On hunting, and the like; I don't hunt, not because I'm opposed to it, or because I don't think I'd be able to kill a living thing, but because my family does not like guns, and there is no one to hunt with me. I'd actually love to add wild meats like venison and rabbit and pheasant to my diet (but my aim still isn't that good!).

So, in all, meat equals massive good for me.

Personally, I love meat. I crave meat, some days.

Yes.

One day after a week of eating only a few crackers and fruits every day, I came home and said; I WANT ANIMAL PRODUCTS.

You can quote me on that.

Personally, I love meat. I crave meat, some days. And call me weird, but I can't have it rare. It's gotta be well done and slightly difficult to chew. None of this 'still moo-ing' stuff my uncle likes. Also, my body simply does not absorb iron from non-red-meat sources. If I don't eat my meat, I get severely anemic, which just sucks. Particularly if I'm working with horses. My reaction time slows by several seconds, which could literally get me killed with some of the horses I work with. You know how you feel with sinus issues? Imagine that fog, but without the pressure.

Now, I love my fruits and veggies too. My ideal dish involves a colorful array of veggies, fruit salad, and an enormous steak with a glass of properly made Southern-style sweet tea. Bonus for mesquite barbecue sauce, because, honestly, that stuff is finger-lickin' good. Seriously, if you don't like it, you've never had it made properly.

On hunting, and the like; I don't hunt, not because I'm opposed to it, or because I don't think I'd be able to kill a living thing, but because my family does not like guns, and there is no one to hunt with me. I'd actually love to add wild meats like venison and rabbit and pheasant to my diet (but my aim still isn't that good!).

So, in all, meat equals massive good for me.

BBQ sauce for me depends on the strength. I think the stronger the taste the less the meat needs. I mean I have had some weak ones were even if you could drink the stuff like water and hardly taste a thing. I have had the opposite were a dab on the toung is a like a volcano exploding. Not spicy but strong. Those were EXTREME cases that I prefer never to eat. If it is slightly stronger put slightly less. If it is slightly weaker put slightly more. The stronger the taste the less should be uses. The weaker it is the more should be used.

BBQ sauce for me depends on the strength.

Hence the properly made. Properly made barbecue sauce shouldn't need to drip off the meat, but neither should it make your mouth explode. That's why some thoughtful person invented hot sauce.

EDIT: code fail

Edited by Faerie_fyre

BBQ sauce for me depends on the strength.

Hence the properly made. Properly made barbecue sauce shouldn't need to drip off the meat, but neither should it make your mouth explode. That's why some thoughtful person invented hot sauce.

EDIT: code fail

Hot sause adds spicy not strength. I didn't mean spicy or hot. Have you ever had those top ramen packages. You put in the flavoring but once you get to the end the left over powder is too strong a taste. Like that.

Actually I like variety in strength. Sometimes I want to be cleaner so I use a stronger sauce so I can use less sauce but still have taste. Other times I want yo be messy so I use the weaker sauce so I can use more without killing my tastebuds.

I believe in farm animals raised FOR their meat. Like cattle, chicken, pigs. But I don't like people going out and killing deer, wild turkey, pheasent, etc. It's like somebody coming into our homes, shooting us, and eating us.

An animal shot during a hunt dies more humanely than it would from "natural" causes - diseases, starvation, being ripped apart by animals of prey. I can see your sentiment for pretty wild animals dripping from your argument. :P

Deer is delicious.

There are. Beans are in the meat area of the food pyramid for the exact reason they can be used as a meat supplement. Put that with the man made meat supplement. Vegetarians can live just as healthy and strong as meat eaters.

Human vegetarians can, if they follow what they eat. Just remembered how I hate it when some vegetarians try to turn their cats into ones, too. Now that is just wrong because cats can't synthesize some proteins that are obtained from meat = cats physiologically can't be vegetarian and survive for a long time.

So you don't like BBQ sauce?

I like neither ribs nor BBQ sauce, too.

I forgot about meat substitute... i personally prefer meat though.

Soy meat. Tried it once. The taste was OK-ish, but the texture didn't fool me. :P

Kangaroo is quite yummy, actually. Its very lean. You have to cook it just right though, or it gets a bit stringy and chewy. Otherwise its very tender and yummehlicious.

You made me want to have kangaroo on my plate now. ;D

I hate fruits and veggies so meat it is for me!

I understand the veggie bit but how can anyone generally hate fruit? D:

I am vegetarian because I don't wanna kill animals (and I couldn't do it) and I think it is pathetic to eat animals someone killed for us.

You do know that the milk and egg market isn't morally much better than the meat industry, unless you stick to just free-range milk and eggs? :[

Personally, I love meat. I crave meat, some days.

This. The only way how I can somewhat ignore my meat cravings is by consuming other protein-rich products, like cheese or beans. Like, a lot of cheese and beans.

I'd classify myself as more of a carnivore than omnivore. I'm actually on a rather permanent very-low-carb diet. So I tend to eat meat three meals a day. I don't like how animals are treated, but I know that in all reality there is nothing that I can do about that.

For instance, I have chickens and have researched some, so I know how laying hens are treated. If you go to the store and buy a dozen eggs then I can guarantee you that the hen has lived her life, very short life as they are generally very young in order to be productive layers, in an approximately 7"x7" cage. If you buy a dozen eggs labeled "free range", then the hen can turn around i.e. a 9"x9" cage. Now this isn't going to change anytime soon, these are businesses that try to maximize their profits. In order to maximize their profits they have to minimize costs, and space is a big cost. If all the chickens where cage free, which is truly cage free not some small cage size, then the space required would go up exponentially. This would not be good for business. I don't know much about cattle for slaughter or chickens for slaughter, but I imagine that their life's aren't much, if any, better.

I'd feel better about eating meat if I hunted the animals myself, in that case I would know that they had lived a good life. And if I got a clean kill, I'd know that they died relatively painlessly.

Human vegetarians can, if they follow what they eat. Just remembered how I hate it when some vegetarians try to turn their cats into ones, too. Now that is just wrong because cats can't synthesize some proteins that are obtained from meat = cats physiologically can't be vegetarian and survive for a long.

I like neither ribs nor BBQ sauce, too.

Umm don't you mean vegies?

What don't you like about ribs? What flavor BBQ sauce? There are a ton.

Umm don't you mean vegies?

What don't you like about ribs? What flavor BBQ sauce? There are a ton.

What about them? D:

The BBQ sauces I've tried so far always seem quite vinegary. Also, I hate hate hate anything that has something to do with tomatoes and am slightly allergic to them.

I enjoy meat and vegetables. I choose to enjoy both. smile.gif

I am vegetarian because I don't wanna kill animals (and I couldn't do it) and I think it is pathetic to eat animals someone killed for us.

You do know that the milk and egg market isn't morally much better than the meat industry, unless you stick to just free-range milk and eggs? :[

The only eggs I eat are from my friend's farm - so I know the conditions there. And I rarely drink milk at all (same goes for yoghurts) and I tend to buy "bio" cheese.

So I don't think it's bad. Ofc, it might be better and I might switch vegan one day.

What about them? D:

The BBQ sauces I've tried so far always seem quite vinegary. Also, I hate hate hate anything that has something to do with tomatoes and am slightly allergic to them.

You:Now that is just wrong because cats can't synthesize some proteins that are obtained from ,meat, = cats physiologically can't be vegetarian and survive for a long.

Me:Umm don't you mean vegies?

You don't have to have tomatos in BBQ sauce. You also don't need vinegar or at least need so much it is noticeable.

The only eggs I eat are from my friend's farm - so I know the conditions there. And I rarely drink milk at all (same goes for yoghurts) and I tend to buy "bio" cheese.

So I don't think it's bad. Ofc, it might be better and I might switch vegan one day.

OK, thanks, that's good to know.

It just somewhat strikes me when people say they're vegetarian out of ethical reasons but still consume eggs and milk from the supermarket. rolleyes.gif

I think people who choose to be vegetarian for moral reasons should give up on consuming dairy products.

Corporate-owned factories where cows are warehoused in huge sheds and treated like milk machines have replaced most small family farms. With genetic manipulation and intensive production technologies, it is common for modern dairy cows to produce 100 pounds of milk a day— 10 times more than they would produce in nature. To keep milk production as high as possible, farmers artificially inseminate cows every year. Growth hormones and unnatural milking schedules cause dairy cows' udders to become painful and so heavy that they sometimes drag on the ground, resulting in frequent infections and overuse of antibiotics. Cows— like all mammals— make milk to feed their own babies — not humans.

Male calves, the "byproducts" of the dairy industry, endure 14 to 17 weeks of torment in veal crates so small that they can't even turn around. Female calves often replace their old, worn-out mothers, or are slaughtered soon after birth for the rennet in their stomachs (an ingredient of most commercial cheeses). They are often kept in tiny crates or tethered in stalls for the first few months of their lives, only to grow up to become "milk machines" like their mothers.

I drink goats milk myself, as the goats that produce it live a happy, hormone free life on my friends farm. Plus, goats milk is better for you, apparently, and doesn't feed into a horrific monstrosity that is dairy 'farming' companies.

Edited by Googleplaxin

OK, thanks, that's good to know.

It just somewhat strikes me when people say they're vegetarian out of ethical reasons but still consume eggs and milk from the supermarket. rolleyes.gif

Yes, I agree with that.

I also can't stand people who claim themselves "vegetarians" and eat "only" fish and chicken or ham. blink.gif Or they eat meat occasionally.

Actually fish isn't considered meat. Plus there are varying forms of vegetarianism. Some eat fish, milk, eggs while others don't. They are all still vegetarians.

Actually fish isn't considered meat. Plus there are varying forms of vegetarianism. Some eat fish, milk, eggs while others don't. They are all still vegetarians.

Well, in my country fish IS considered meat.

The main idea of vegetarianism is not to kill any living creature for food.

As for eggs and diary products, yes there are lacto-vegetarians, ovo-vegetarians, lacto-ovo-vegetarians... But I don't understand why do you bring it up...