Zeekaice

Meat

...When you put it like that, it seems cruel. But animals kill humans, and humans kill animals. It's just life, nature...whatever you want to call it.

And it's not like animals are totally innocent. Many people died because of animals. I understand that cows, or chickens(they're an exception...) or pigs didn't kill us like vicious animals(Ex: Lions, dogs etc. etc....), but still. Animals have killed humans before many times. And we're not innocent either, as being on the top of the food chain.

So...as ironic as it sounds, we eat each other.

...pigs didn't kill us like some vicious animals, but still.

Actualy there are a few known cases when pigs indeed have attacked humans, especially little children, and also eaten them.

Actualy there are a few known cases when pigs indeed have attacked humans, especially little children, and also eaten them.

I laughed when I read this. Does that make me a bad person?

The realistic mental image is quite disturbing, but then you also get the unrealistic mental image which is awesomely funny. Just pigs in top hats and monocles, sitting in a dining hall, with a waiter coming out and putting some roasted, naked child on the table with an apple in its mouth. Irony is golden.

I know that boars can get aggressive, especially when females have young piglets. Nonetheless, boar piglets are delicious, unlike adult wild swine. :B

I love animals. All animals. Many of them are indeed very tasty. biggrin.gif

i went through some older messages on this thread , there's this one thing i could'nt understand , the term "KILLING HUMANELY".

killing humanely ? i dont get it , have you ever heard of a person getting murdered HUMANELY ? that just makes no sense ... Killing a creature is taking a life away..

just my 2 cents anyway.

If fish isn't a meat, then what is it?

In Israel it's parve.

In Navajo it's Lo

It all depends on what your defintion of "meat" is. Do you call a sponge meat?

Many cultures and societies have more categories than "vegetable and meat"

My point was that vegetarian can't be internationally agreed upon because of that, hell, even Merriam Webster refers to fish as not being meat.

killing humanely ? i dont get it , have you ever heard of a person getting murdered HUMANELY ? that just makes no sense ... Killing a creature is taking a life away..

Yes, I have. Things like assisted suicide and *angels of death tend to kill people humanely.

Taking a life does not always have to be done in a vicious or inhumane way, nor is it always murder.

*referring to the human phenomenon.

i went through some older messages on this thread , there's this one thing i could'nt understand , the term "KILLING HUMANELY".

just my 2 cents anyway.

Humanely is just a fancy way of saying without torture. When someone kills someone depending on how brutal a crime their sentenced can go up or down.

Wiki-humane in early use meant civil, courteous or obliging towards humans and animals. In modern times it is characterized by sympathy with or consideration, compassion and benevolence for others, especially for the suffering or distressed.

If someone asks you to kill them for whatever reason you can call that humane.

If an animal is slowly dieing and you kill it that can be considered humane.

I am all for eating meat. I am a firm believer that our bodies are made to eat both plants and animals, and a balanced diet containing reasonable amounts of such things is the best way to stay healthy.

However, I am not a fan of factory farming practices, and as such try to buy all my meat and other animal products locally. Try it - your local farmers will thank you.

I am also not opposed to eating hunted meat, and believe you should eat what you kill. An animal in the wild lives in much better conditions than an animal raised in a factory farm environment, and a good hunter will end it quickly. Hence I don't understand the "hunting is cruel" people who have no objection to their meat being wrapped in cellophane instead of fur.

I consider any flesh of a once-living animal to be meat. Really, whether it's a fish or a bird or a pig is just arguing semantics. It is still the flesh of a dead animal.

My uncle went duck hunting for fun. He enjoyed it as a sport BUT he also believed you eat what you kill. So whenever he got back he would clean it, gut it, cook it, and eat it.

That^ is fine for me. I might not like sport hunting but at least he ate what he killed and that is ok by me.

Sport hunting is stupid. You get up, go out with an overpowered rifle, sit a long ways from the game, shoot them with the rifle, then don't eat what you bagged? That's just wrong, needless killing. Yes, hunting is fun and challenging (not with an overpowered rifle), I don't have anything against hunting. Heck, I have a hunting license and am planning to go dove hunting with my dad. I will, however, eat every single bird that I kill.

You can hunt for sport and still eat what you kill. Case and point my uncle.

What I meant was hunting for the sake of hunting and then not eating it, sorry if that wasn't clear.

What I meant was hunting for the sake of hunting and then not eating it, sorry if that wasn't clear.

No it's fine. Yeah killing just to kill then not eating it is wrong. Me and my uncle may not be on the best of terms but he taught me some things at least. Like killing for sport is all well and good but make sure you eat what you kill. Otherwise it isn't sport anymore. It's murder. Words to live by I would say.

I've never thought of it that way, I think I like your uncle.

No it's fine. Yeah killing just to kill then not eating it is wrong. Me and my uncle may not be on the best of terms but he taught me some things at least. Like killing for sport is all well and good but make sure you eat what you kill. Otherwise it isn't sport anymore. It's murder. Words to live by I would say.

^This. What I really hate is trophy hunting. It's stupid and pointless. If you're going to kill the animal, EAT IT TOO, or don't kill it. D<

Edited by Infinis

If you're going to kill the animal, EAT IT TOO, or don't kill it.

Or at least let someone else eat it. Anything but leaving it to rot is good.

BUT I WANT ENDANGERED ANIMAL HEADS ON MY WALL! I CAN PAY THE FINE, I'M RICH.

Trophy hunting is SO not cool. What about the poor little animals that we are driving to extinction...

Edit:

whoops, forgot what thread I was looking at.... fail.

Edited by kiffren

I think trophy hunting is fine......... as long as the meat is at least donated.

I know trophy hunters around here donate the deer meat to places like the food kitchen and other homeless shelters. Sometimes it even goes to the prison/jail, which is better than our tax money feeding them.

that's my only acceptance for trophy hunting, as long as it is with a common species such as deer, rabbit, ect and the meat is used or given away.

Generally animals that would be trophies are larger animals, thus more meat. So if it's for food, and you just keep the head because it would've been thrown away, then whatever.

Generally animals that would be trophies are larger animals, thus more meat. So if it's for food, and you just keep the head because it would've been thrown away, then whatever.

That's what my uncle does. He shoots a deer, divides the meat with his friends and relatives (my parents included) and hangs the antlers on the wall.

I think trophy hunting is fine......... as long as the meat is at least donated.

I know trophy hunters around here donate the deer meat to places like the food kitchen and other homeless shelters. Sometimes it even goes to the prison/jail, which is better than our tax money feeding them.

that's my only acceptance for trophy hunting, as long as it is with a common species such as deer, rabbit, ect and the meat is used or given away.

This. I do not mind if the hunter does not eat the meat, as long as it goes to someone rather than being left to rot.

Which, yes might work here, but iin other countries, it wouldn't, that's my point. Off the top of my head "Vegetarian" in Israel could possible include fish, because legally, in Israel, fish is not meat.

Hence why we go with scientific terms; perhaps in Israel's culture vegetarian means eating fish as well, but an Israeli scientist, or better yet dietitian, will be taught that 'vegetarian' means no fish. He may speak to locals and use 'vegetarian' as they would use it, but the world-wide accepted official use of the word means 'no meat.' That includes 'fish.'

That's why we have science in the first place; internationally accepted terms that are set down and only changed on mass census on scientifically valid grounds, and as such are changed in one sweep. To avoid these kind of culture clashes.

But that then leads to the problem that if my vegetarian friend visited Israel, she'd be expected to eat fish. She won't - she's vegetarian as per the officially, internationally-recognised definition.