Zeekaice

Meat

Hence why we go with scientific terms; perhaps in Israel's culture vegetarian means eating fish as well, but an Israeli scientist, or better yet dietitian, will be taught that 'vegetarian' means no fish. He may speak to locals and use 'vegetarian' as they would use it, but the world-wide accepted official use of the word means 'no meat.' That includes 'fish.'

That's why we have science in the first place; internationally accepted terms that are set down and only changed on mass census on scientifically valid grounds, and as such are changed in one sweep. To avoid these kind of culture clashes.

But that then leads to the problem that if my vegetarian friend visited Israel, she'd be expected to eat fish. She won't - she's vegetarian as per the officially, internationally-recognised definition.

No, he wouldn't. At least no Israeli scientist I know, because there is no standardized defintion of meat accepted internationally.

And I say that having taken the time to call one.

Well, About the hunting...

What about scavengers? Why must it only be the human race huh? Just cut out around the meat that was shot, take out that section of meat as to not get the scavengers sick. Its not only about humans!

And no, I have not gone hunting yet...

Edited by Bee Teno

What about scavengers? Why must it only be the human race huh? Just cut out around the meat that was shot, take out that section of meat as to not get the scavengers sick. Its not only about humans!

A valid point but claiming "Oh I killed it for the scavengers!" Is pretty lame. That is why you kill only what you think you can eat before it goes bad.

Have any of you ever tried homemade deer jerky? Oh it is good.

Most natural predators have means of killing the animals themselves. We don't need to go and kill a bunch of deer for the poor helpless wolves.

What the natural predators leave behind is what the others that can't kill the animal themselves can eat.

We don't really need to do that, as it may even lead to animals relying on us to do that all the time, instead of getting food for themselves (like bird-feeders).

Every time someone brings up a topic about whether or not people should eat meat, I get the worst craving for beef steak. D:

It's the natural order of things, given humans are omnivores.

However, I hate the taste of it...try to get me to eat prime rib, sirloin steak, filet mignon?...a hamburger, roast beef, or beef wellington? Heh. Yeah. I'd rather starve, honestly. sad.gif Friends look at me funny when they find out; ah well, more for them.

I can stand dried out stuff like beef jerky, or highly-processed pepperoni, but that's about it. Chicken is sometimes okay, but it literally makes me sick if I eat too much of it (more than about a half-cup full).

Edited by 13310

I too now have a craving for a good sirloin steak.

Every time someone brings up a topic about whether or not people should eat meat, I get the worst craving for beef steak. D:

This.

I'd totally be a carnivore if I could. I like fruit too, but meat > all. I love it too much to ever consider giving up, and frankly, I'm apathetic to the animals involved. Sounds horrible, but true.

I wish I could be a choice omnivore. Meaning I could choose to be able to eat fruits and vegetables but only if I wanted to. Otherwise I could live solely on meat.

Can carnivores eat fruits and vegetables without getting sick?

Can carnivores eat fruits and vegetables without getting sick?

Some can, yes. Being carnivore doesn't mean you eat absolutely only meat - some carnivorous animals will nom the occasional berry by accident or on purpose.

Some can, yes. Being carnivore doesn't mean you eat absolutely only meat - some carnivorous animals will nom the occasional berry by accident or on purpose.

To expand on what you said, Kestra, there are a few different types of carnivores. What we usually think of as a carnivore is called an obligate carnivore. That means they lack the proper physiology to sustain themselves for anything but extremely short periods of time on anything but meat. Dogs are a different kind of carnivore (though I can't remember what they're called) - they have the physiology to eat plants, but choose to eat meat, plus it's healthier for them.

Also some carnivores will eat plants to induce vomiting. If you've ever seen your dog eat grass a lot, he/she's probably got an upset stomach.

Well I would choose the dog kind then. I love pasta myself but I LOVE meat more.

Wikipedia:

The diet of a hypercarnivore consists of more than 70% meat, that of a mesocarnivore 50-70%, and that of a hypocarnivore less than 30%, with the balance consisting of nonvertebrate foods, which may include fungi, fruits, and other plant material.

Cats are of the hypercarnivore variant. A cat's diet needs to consist primarily of meat (in whichever form - doesn't have to be good quality) or it will get very ill. A dog, on the other hand, is actualy capable of being vegetarian. Not that they'd choose to. There are certain kinds of vegetarians (with whom I normally get very annoyed) that seem to feel it is ethical to enforce their own vegetarianism on their animals. It's just about okay for a dog (though a bit silly), but for the aforementioned cats it does make them ill.

I'd be a carnivore by choice. I love my red meat, and I actualy prefer it if it *hasn't* been cooked (or only cooked very lightly).

I feel no guilt eating animals. Circle of life and all that jazz. ;3

Mufasa: Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance and respect all the creatures, from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope.

Young Simba: But, Dad, don't we eat the antelope?

Mufasa: Yes, Simba, but let me explain. When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the great Circle of Life.

Plus, I just could not get the nutrients I need if I didn't eat meat. Although, that said, I mostly just eat chicken, because I don't find most other kinds of meats particularly tasty. :3

*sigh* Is-ought fallacy

Just because something is, doesn't mean that is the way it ought to be.

And what's the way the world ought to be, and how can you claim that your view is the legitimate one?

For many people, the way something is is the way it ought to be for them. It's their opinion, and they're entitled to it. It's not a fallacy until they assert it as an absolute truth for everyone, which is not what they did.

And in truth, humans are naturally omnivores, however, we develop for ourselves what diets we will follow, since we don't have to worry about when our next meal will be with the bounty of food we're surrounded by. If you choose to be a lactovegetarian for whatever reason, that's fine, but don't act like your lifestyle choice is any better than ours (especially if you want to consider the many ways farmers will keep pests like rabbits and rats out of their crops). You may not like the choice other people have made, but regardless, you should respect our ability to choose it.

-K-

Mufasa: Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance and respect all the creatures, from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope.

Young Simba: But, Dad, don't we eat the antelope?

Mufasa: Yes, Simba, but let me explain. When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the great Circle of Life.

Yay, you quoted the Lion King, I love the movie. But anyway...

I eat meat. My parents insist that I need meat, as a growing girl. I can't eat chicken, though-yuck-but I still eat meat. I can't eat the fat-I have to spit it in the sink if I get too much of it. XP And I simply can't get by without meat. I'm just not a vegetarian. Om-nom-nivore time. Get it? xd.png

I eat meat and love it. Humans as a species are omnivores so why deny what you are? If you want to eat only plants, good for you, but really don't go around preaching that everyone should only eat plants. And frankly, I don't care how my food is treated prior to it being killed, cooked, and served in front of me. If it tastes good, I will eat it, if not then I won't. And besides I'm doing my part in helping global warming by eating more cows and not the solution tongue.gif

I lurve my meat. Especially somewhat under-cooked red meat so it still had that texture that gets lots when fully cooked. I hate pork and poultry is meh.

I'm with Mufasah on the to-eat-or-not-to-eat debate, it's the natural order. Or, two quote something newer...

"All energy is on the borrow, and someday, we have to give it back."

I'll eat my meat thanks, and when the time comes, nature can have it back. Besides, when you think about it, plants are alive too, but no one squalls over eating them.

I like my red meat medium-rare. Not that I don't like rare because I do. Medium-rare is the rarest I will go normally because as far as I heard the rarer the meat the less healthy it is for you. I want to keep from getting sick but I like rarer meat. Medium-rare is the compromise.

Meh... I like chicken, I hate fish though. All them lil' bones... urgh.

I eat meat and love it. Humans as a species are omnivores so why deny what you are? If you want to eat only plants, good for you, but really don't go around preaching that everyone should only eat plants. And frankly, I don't care how my food is treated prior to it being killed, cooked, and served in front of me. If it tastes good, I will eat it, if not then I won't. And besides I'm doing my part in helping global warming by eating more cows and not the solution tongue.gif

I can definitely understand how, when you just want to eat, the treatment of animals may not be the first thing on your mind. But you honestly don't care? Really? You wouldn't prefer to support farms and companies that use humane practices when given the opportunity?

Eating meat is natural enough, but to not have any regard for the pain the animal might experience just strikes me as callous.

But you honestly don't care? Really? You wouldn't prefer to support farms and companies that use humane practices when given the opportunity?

I look at a steak and think: "dinner".

I look at a steak and NOT think: "Oh No! A cow got shopped up so I can have this dinner."

Thats how it is with most people who eat meat.

Personally I couldn't give any less of a !@#$ about the preservation of humanity or life on earth because I know we've !@#$ed up this planet beyond recovery and some day, we are just gonna have another nuclear war and all die because of the aftermath anyway.

So, I guess this is the reason I have a hard time imagining what goes through a vegetarian's mind when they see someone eat, or are served meat to eat.

But hey. I like vegetarians. They sustain a good lifestyle through sheer will and that is somewhat rare these days.

Edited by Ælex