DragonNighthowler

No More Chosen One, PLEASE!

I was answering to this post, saying that Harry was the Chosen One from book 1, even before Voldemort's recomposition (it isn't a resurrection, he wasn't dead and he did evil things even if he was only a spirit or a memory and without a need for a body, so Harry was the only that can stop him since then). When you finish all the books you understand that the prophecy is referred to him, not Neville for many motives. And the born date question is so simple. When I read the prophecy for the first time I thought "the dying of 7th month... it's definitely Harry. Neville is born on 30th, Harry three minutes before 1st August... even Voldemort could make 2+2." And about Neville, put him for a moment in the place of Harry, you think that he could stop Voldemort from the beginning? If there was Neville, Voldemort would recover his powers with the Philosophal Stone, because at the beginning he wasn't a monster in courage and intuition. He seemed more similar to an ipothetical Chosen One only in the very end, but only because he has a little more courage and because Harry said him "If you can, kill Voldemort's snake". He didn't even know this at what would be served!

The problem of this books is that Harry is the Chosen One but he had a chanche to choose, he could run away from all and hide himself like Ignotus Peverell, but he chose to remain and be the boy of the prophecy. It's controversial. And for this controversial nature I think we are turning around the problems. Can you make specific questions?

Ah, I said that mine isn't an opinion because an opinion is subjective. I didn't wrote a my speculation or things born from my fantasy, but objectival data that the writer wrote in her books, it's a puzzle that you can recompose only when you finish all of the books, even the smallest detail become a big piece of the puzzle.

Ah, I now must go to bed, it's 1:00 AM at my house. Excuse me if I'll not answer soon.

And you realize the writer wrote that nevill was a possible canidate. It then was turned around that it was only harry. Then he was also given the chance to run but he didn't. He CHOSE to fight and even without the prophecy he would have STILL chose to fight and THAT is what seperates himself from the normal chosen ones. That is what matters. Whos choice was it? Harry's choice. When he was specifically given the choice after hearing the prophecy if even if he never heard it would he have still gone. He said yes. Making it his choice not the prophecy's.

In response to the whole "He chose to do it himself, not because of some prophecy" thing.

Imagine if there was no prophecy, right? Then there's a chance Harry's parents could have survived. Thus eliminating his drive to get revenge for them on Voldy. Or all three of them could have ended up dead at some other point. Or even if he lost a parent, even if his mother died for him... That he may not have had that protection, if he wasn't a Chosen One.

I mean, there have GOT to have been other parents that pleaded for the lives of their children and threw themselves in the way, refusing to leave until they were dead. I doubt all the wizarding parents just stepped aside or went quietly to their demise when their kids were threatened. It's just got to have happened somewhere else, but we never, ever hear of anything like this happening with anybody else.

If Harry were to have not lost his parents, he would have grown up much differently, and he would be a very different person. For all we know, he would have been the 'Leave everything to more experienced adults' type, which would have gotten them screwed over eventually. He quite easily could have not been in situations that would give him the drive or desire to stop Voldy--if Voldy even was stopped. For all we know, by the time the books started he could have won had he not been stopped when he was.

Also, TVTrops =/= fact. Sure, the arguments and reasoning they use can be used to try to support a point, but just because TVTropes says something doesn't make it true. :| Hell, I could go edit the Harry Potter pages to say whatever I want. True, it would probably be caught and fixed, but honestly? It's made by a bunch of people like us--not professionals who analyze things like literature for a living. They're perfectly capable of being wrong--there are plenty of examples of people correcting others and letting them know they're wrong, after all.

Saying "Because TVTropes agreed on it, it must be true!" is like saying "Because a bunch of random people from the Internet decided something after debating it, it must be true!" Not always.

Harry Potter: But, sir, it all comes to the same thing, doesn't it? I've got to try and kill him, or-

Albus Dumbledore: Got to? Of course you've got to! But not because of the prophecy! Because you, yourself, will never rest until you've tried! We both know it! Imagine, please, just for a moment, that you had never heard the prophecy! How would you feel about Voldemort now? Think!

Harry: ...I'd want him finished. And I'd want to do it.

---Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

He chose himself TYVM.

I never said TVTropes were always right 100% of the time I said I don't know everything about TVTropes but as I understand them to be generally trustworthy.

Generally trustworthy=/=100% right at all times

Edited by crazywargod

TBH, I can't stand Harry Potter because he's such a Mary Sue, so I'm a little biased. =V But he is a Chosen One. It's a plot. He fits the Chosen One plot to a T.

Unassuming poor boy is taken to fantasy land.

Big bad wants to kill him.

Poor boy strikes down Big Bad when no one else can, because it is his destiny.

That's the Chosen One plot. >_> That's Harry. Neville? Hell, they didn't spend much time on that plot hook at all. They just added it to make Harry seem all the more powerful.

And why did Harry feel such a compelling need to kill Voldemort, regardless of the prophesy? Because he had to, because no one else could. Because he was the Chosen One. No the prophesy didn't make him do what he did, per say, but being the Chosen One did. Otherwise an older, more experienced, more powerful wizard would have killed Voldemort. Not a child.

And why did Harry feel such a compelling need to kill Voldemort, regardless of the prophesy? Because he had to, because no one else could. Because he was the Chosen One. No the prophesy didn't make him do what he did, per say, but being the Chosen One did. Otherwise an older, more experienced, more powerful wizard would have killed Voldemort. Not a child.

Revenge. Voldy DID kill his parents after all. Revenge tends to cloud justice.

Plus I say again harry was NOT the only one who could kill voldy. After the snake was killed anybody with decent magical skills could kill him. It might have been easier for harry but any of the people who harry died for could have done it. Like nevill.

Harry: You won't be killing anyone else tonight, You won't be able to kill any of them ever again. Don't you get it? I was ready to die to stop you from hurting these people-

Voldemort: But you did not!

Harry: -I meant to, and that's what did it. I've done what my mother did. They're protected from you. Haven't you noticed how none of the spells you put on them are binding? You can't torture them. You can't touch them.

----Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

All somebody had to do was run up and give voldy a nice big hug and voldy would have died.

If that were true and HP wasn't a Chosen One story, someone besides Harry would have killed Voldemort in the end.

If that were true and HP wasn't a Chosen One story, someone besides Harry would have killed Voldemort in the end.

Not necessarily. Harry was a gary-stu after all and he wanted revenge. He had to because it was in his personality, his mindset. If he didn't try he would have probably become some depressed recluse. Anybody could have killed voldy.

But anybody didn't kill Voldemort. Harry, the "Chosen One", did. If somebody else could have killed Voldemort, they would have. A long time ago. Instead, a baby stopped him. Then an eleven year old did. Then a twelve year old. Ect. Until a seventeen year old finally killed him.

I agree that Harry is a Gary Stu, but that doesn't mean he isn't also a Chosen One.

As Zovesta put it:

But he is a Chosen One. It's a plot. He fits the Chosen One plot to a T.

Unassuming poor boy is taken to fantasy land.

Big bad wants to kill him.

Poor boy strikes down Big Bad when no one else can, because it is his destiny.

That's the Chosen One plot. >_> That's Harry. Neville? Hell, they didn't spend much time on that plot hook at all. They just added it to make Harry seem all the more powerful.

Except that Voldemort killed Voldemort. He was backed into a corner, his insurance was gone, and his powerful artifact didn't see him as it's master. He tried using it anyways, and his own spell rebounded and killed him, just as it did all those years ago when Harry was a baby. He was a self-destructive villain, and I'd say that he was the one to fulfill the very prophesy (which technically labelled Harry AND Voldemort as chosen ones, they were the only ones (according to the prophesy, at least) that could resolve it) he set out to prevent all those years ago. If anything, he was an Oedipal villain.

-K-

Both of the following quotes should answer your questions sock. :3

Harry Potter: But, sir, it all comes to the same thing, doesn't it? I've got to try and kill him, or-

Albus Dumbledore: Got to? Of course you've got to! But not because of the prophecy! Because you, yourself, will never rest until you've tried! We both know it! Imagine, please, just for a moment, that you had never heard the prophecy! How would you feel about Voldemort now? Think!

Harry: You won't be killing anyone else tonight, You won't be able to kill any of them ever again. Don't you get it? I was ready to die to stop you from hurting these people-

Harry: -I meant to, and that's what did it. I've done what my mother did. They're protected from you. Haven't you noticed how none of the spells you put on them are binding? You can't torture them. You can't touch them. You don't learn from your mistakes, Riddle, do you?

Ok, you guys keep going back to the whole, "Harry chose himself". Well, I'd say about every single Chosen One I've ever read actually chose himself. There was a bunch of people telling him to do the right thing (as in HP), another bunch trying to capture him to the dark side (as in HP), this selfish part of himself that only wanted to run away (as in HP), and an inner struggle with himself until he chose to do the right thing. That's how it works in every single Chosen One plot!

Chosen Ones might be chosen by some mystical powers, but in the end, the choice of becoming a hero is only theirs. They choose to become the heroes, thus they fulfill the Chosen One plot.

The fact you people keep splitting the plot. The plot can't be separated. It's a whole, it works as a whole, and must be defined and studied as a whole. The plot is about a kid moving towards becoming the Chosen One that will rid the world of the Nazis. Even in the beginning it doesn't start with a normal kid. It kind of recurrently starts with an orphan living with his evil uncles, marked with a lightning scar on his forehead. Recurrently, many CO plots start like that.

I've always mentioned how, a fantastic ending would have implied Voldemort not being killed by Jesus Christ (because, dying and resurrecting? COME ON!). I don't care if the spell bounced again. It was a lame death for a super villain, and there was no reason at all why McGonagall, or Flitwick, or any other experienced wizard couldn't have killed him.

Funny enough, it happens to bounce on Harry twice.

Had Voldemort been killed by George, or Ron, or Draco himself (I was really wishing that happened), the story would have had a whole different ending. Had Harry died as I was really expecting, we definitely wouldn't be having a debate.

But the story is there, we can't just speculate about "what ifs" when the story has been written, printed and sold out as a complete unit. That's how it happens, and that's what we should analyze. There are just too many things impulsing HP into becoming a CO, from the very same choice of Wand, to the very end when he's brought back from the dead after a spiritual travel with Dumbledore, and the curse bounces off him again.

There are just too many things there to simply ignore them.

The whole "he chose" is a fallacy. All CO choose their path, independently of whether there is a prophecy or not.

Eragon IS a CO. The only prophecy is about him leaving Alagaesia (like Legolas). There is no prophecy about him killing the bad emperor, and yet, he is treated like a CO, he behaves like a CO and he will culminate the CO plot by killing the Emperor. He chooses his path, and his path leads him to becoming a CO.

That's how it is with practically every single CO.

Ok, you guys keep going back to the whole, "Harry chose himself". Well, I'd say about every single Chosen One I've ever read actually chose himself. There was a bunch of people telling him to do the right thing (as in HP), another bunch trying to capture him to the dark side (as in HP), this selfish part of himself that only wanted to run away (as in HP), and an inner struggle with himself until he chose to do the right thing. That's how it works in every single Chosen One plot!

Chosen Ones might be chosen by some mystical powers, but in the end, the choice of becoming a hero is only theirs. They choose to become the heroes, thus they fulfill the Chosen One plot.

The fact you people keep splitting the plot. The plot can't be separated. It's a whole, it works as a whole, and must be defined and studied as a whole. The plot is about a kid moving towards becoming the Chosen One that will rid the world of the Nazis. Even in the beginning it doesn't start with a normal kid. It kind of recurrently starts with an orphan living with his evil uncles, marked with a lightning scar on his forehead. Recurrently, many CO plots start like that.

I've always mentioned how, a fantastic ending would have implied Voldemort not being killed by Jesus Christ (because, dying and resurrecting? COME ON!). I don't care if the spell bounced again. It was a lame death for a super villain, and there was no reason at all why McGonagall, or Flitwick, or any other experienced wizard couldn't have killed him.

Funny enough, it happens to bounce on Harry twice.

Had Voldemort been killed by George, or Ron, or Draco himself (I was really wishing that happened), the story would have had a whole different ending. Had Harry died as I was really expecting, we definitely wouldn't be having a debate.

But the story is there, we can't just speculate about "what ifs" when the story has been written, printed and sold out as a complete unit. That's how it happens, and that's what we should analyze. There are just too many things impulsing HP into becoming a CO, from the very same choice of Wand, to the very end when he's brought back from the dead after a spiritual travel with Dumbledore, and the curse bounces off him again.

There are just too many things there to simply ignore them.

The whole "he chose" is a fallacy. All CO choose their path, independently of whether there is a prophecy or not.

Eragon IS a CO. The only prophecy is about him leaving Alagaesia (like Legolas). There is no prophecy about him killing the bad emperor, and yet, he is treated like a CO, he behaves like a CO and he will culminate the CO plot by killing the Emperor. He chooses his path, and his path leads him to becoming a CO.

That's how it is with practically every single CO.

Harry for one was asked once to join the dark side and that obviously failed. He was never tricked nothing. He was asked if he wanted to run away and said no. If anything he threw himself into things most every step of the way. The only inner struggle he ever had was when voldy failed to kill him again and that was "do I have to" and he was told yes. The difference is he ALWAYS chose. Since book 1 he chose and NO NOT ALL COs do that. COs are forced beginning and start choosing after they have been at it awhile. Harry ALWAYS chose. Book 1, HE chose, Book 2, HE chose, Book 3, HE chose, Book 4, HE chose, Book 5, HE chose, Book 6, HE chose, Book 7, HE chose.

Each CO is forced into their job as the CO. Hence why they are called the Chosen One. Harry was NOT forced into his job. Even if it followed the CO plot what individualizes him from the rest is HE CHOSE HIS JOB. So you could call him a Self-Chosen One.

You're wrong. Most CO choose their path. They simply end up choosing to do the "right" thing. Just like Harry. I've got to recall a single book where the CO was actually forced.

He had many inner struggles anyways. As when the Sorting hat considered placing him in Slytherin. When the whole parsel thing, when he feared he was Slytherin's heir, and throughout the whole books he's been having similar struggles.

You're wrong. Most CO choose their path. They simply end up choosing to do the "right" thing. Just like Harry. I've got to recall a single book where the CO was actually forced.

He had many inner struggles anyways. As when the Sorting hat considered placing him in Slytherin. When the whole parsel thing, when he feared he was Slytherin's heir, and throughout the whole books he's been having similar struggles.

The sorting hat wasn't an inner struggle. He just didn't want to be in one of the houses because of malfoy.

COs might chose their path but they never chose their job. Harry did. Harry chose the job of killing voldy, which he failed to do. It wasn't forced on him. He took it in from the get-go. When given the choice to be the one harry chose to be the one. It wasn't destiny. He wasn't accepting it was just what he had to do. He WANTED to do it. So while you can say he was a chosen one, the truth is he was a SELF-Chosen One.

That actually was an internal battle, since he struggled with coming to terms that the sorting hat had made the right decision, wondering if he should have been in Slytherin and why it didn't put him there and ect.

On these:

Harry: -I meant to, and that's what did it. I've done what my mother did. They're protected from you. Haven't you noticed how none of the spells you put on them are binding? You can't torture them. You can't touch them. You don't learn from your mistakes, Riddle, do you?

As I said, most CO's end up "choosing" and "wanting" to fill out their destiny. If they weren't CO's they'd be able to turn their back on the task and choose to let someone else fulfill it. If Harry wasn't a CO, he wouldn't have had to kill Voldemort, he wouldn't have felt that desire or need, because there would be plenty of other willing and able witches and wizards who would have already done it.

Instead the world stepped back and let Harry, the Chosen One, a mere boy of only seventeen years of age and experience, finish Voldemort.

Okay, you can say that Voldemort did technically finished himself in the end, but without Harry, that never would have happened. The spell wouldn't have re-bounded, he wouldn't have been killed, and he never would have been stopped in the first place.

The spell re-bounded because Harry was the wand's true owner. If Harry wasn't the CO, the spell would have killed him, because he would have been a normal character just like anyone else.

That actually was an internal battle, since he struggled with coming to terms that the sorting hat had made the right decision, wondering if he should have been in Slytherin and why it didn't put him there and ect.

On these:

As I said, most CO's end up "choosing" and "wanting" to fill out their destiny. If they weren't CO's they'd be able to turn their back on the task and choose to let someone else fulfill it. If Harry wasn't a CO, he wouldn't have had to kill Voldemort, he wouldn't have felt that desire or need, because there would be plenty of other willing and able witches and wizards who would have already done it.

Instead the world stepped back and let Harry, the Chosen One, a mere boy of only seventeen years of age and experience, finish Voldemort.

Okay, you can say that Voldemort did technically finished himself in the end, but without Harry, that never would have happened. The spell wouldn't have re-bounded, he wouldn't have been killed, and he never would have been stopped in the first place.

The spell re-bounded because Harry was the wand's true owner. If Harry wasn't the CO, the spell would have killed him, because he would have been a normal character just like anyone else.

So only CO's can want revenge? Voldy did kill his parents and made him have to live in a hell-hole for 15 years. I think there would be friction between them don't you? Harry shot up a barrier spell before the fight between him and voldy. Harry told voldy that he shouldn't use the wand. It was voldy's own stupidity that got him killed. Harry chose to fight voldy. Not because he had to but because he WANTED to. A Self-Chosen One.

Yeah.

He could have easily just completely disregarded dumbledore and voldemort and his friends and went into hiding.

but NOPE. He, Ron, and Hermione all went on the quest.

biggrin.gif

And also, the wand chose him NOT BECAUSE HE WAS THE CHOSEN ONE.

But because he had the misfortune to be captured and taken to Malfoy Manor and he NEEDED to escape, because who WANTS to be killed by voldemort?

so he took down Draco.

I didn't say only CO's could want revenge. I think many people wanted revenge. Yet who was it that killed Voldemort? Harry. A seventeen year old who, thanks to being a Chosen One, had many special talents and skills that he really didn't have to work on improving. He just had because he was Chosen One. If Harry wasn't a CO a wizard or witch with much more experience, skill, talent, maturing, and power would have killed Voldemort - would have been able to kill Voldemort.

Sure, Harry had his sidekicks, but did either of them kill Voldemort? No.

Harry ended up with the wand (another special item he was basically just given) because he is the Chosen One.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I didn't say only CO's could want revenge. I think many people wanted revenge. Yet who was it that killed Voldemort? Harry. A seventeen year old who, thanks to being a Chosen One, had many special talents and skills that he really didn't have to work on improving. He just had because he was Chosen One. If Harry wasn't a CO a wizard or witch with much more experience, skill, talent, maturing, and power would have killed Voldemort - would have been able to kill Voldemort.

Sure, Harry had his sidekicks, but did either of them kill Voldemort? No.

Harry ended up with the wand (another special item he was basically just given) because he is the Chosen One.

1)Voldy killed himself

2)The wand chose harry because harry beat it's master and that is how the wand rolls

3)He warned voldy. 'Hey don't attack it wont work.' Voldy chose not to listen

4)Harry had NO special abilities. He was damned good seeker but that was about it.

5)Anybody could have given voldy a great big hug and killed him. Would that be any way to end it? NO!! That is why harry did it.

6)All the more mature wizards were preoccupied with their own battles to even notice harry(under the invisibility cloak) shoot the barrier spell and get to voldemort first. Harry's revenge got to voldy first. First come, first serve.

The point is, crazywargod, writers do things that just try to mask the whole "Gary Stu" bit. You are confusing Gary Stu with Chosen One.

If Harry got past the adults because they were preoccupied, he still got past them. The preoccupied bit was just to make them seem less incompetent.

You write a base first. That's when the character comes out as a Gary Stu or not. Harry is, and was always, a Chosen One, and a Gary Stu. It doesn't matter how many nitpicks were crammed in there, and if you bothered to read my posts, you'd see why. =V

Harry killed Voldemort when no one else could. He had a special connection with Voly. That's the Chosen One, man. A typical hero plot could just have been about one bad ass hero slaying a, what, Kraken? =V I dunno. But other people could have. He was just the strongest.

Harry could not BE the strongest because he doesn't have so much experience. But he still killed the Biggest Bad ever, because he's a Chosen One.

The point is, crazywargod, writers do things that just try to mask the whole "Gary Stu" bit. You are confusing Gary Stu with Chosen One.

If Harry got past the adults because they were preoccupied, he still got past them. The preoccupied bit was just to make them seem less incompetent.

You write a base first. That's when the character comes out as a Gary Stu or not. Harry is, and was always, a Chosen One, and a Gary Stu. It doesn't matter how many nitpicks were crammed in there, and if you bothered to read my posts, you'd see why. =V

Harry killed Voldemort when no one else could. He had a special connection with Voly. That's the Chosen One, man. A typical hero plot could just have been about one bad ass hero slaying a, what, Kraken? =V I dunno. But other people could have. He was just the strongest.

Harry could not BE the strongest because he doesn't have so much experience. But he still killed the Biggest Bad ever, because he's a Chosen One.

One very big flaw in your argument. Harry DIDN'T KILL VOLDY. In the end there was no special connection. While voldy was being a coward and running away all the other wizards were fighting the death eaters too preoccupied to notice. You can't work your argument around this because the point is they were preoccupied. OTHER PEOPLE COULD HAVE KILLED VOLDY.

You are all basing your arguments on harry killed voldy and nobody else could.

Well harry DIDN'T kill voldy and ANYBODY could have killed voldy.

But they didn't. Harry did. Dumbledore didn't, there wasn't another great wizard that she introduced that could have killed him. Harry did.

In the end, maybe, but the entire series there WAS. Harry and Voldy - you can't say that they were just some kid and some Big Bad with nothing between them. They were just random. No, they tied together, and that's what gives them a connection.

Harry killed his Horcruxes. He killed his soul. And Voldemort died - that counts as him killing Voldy.

But they didn't. Harry did. Dumbledore didn't, there wasn't another great wizard that she introduced that could have killed him. Harry did.

In the end, maybe, but the entire series there WAS. Harry and Voldy - you can't say that they were just some kid and some Big Bad with nothing between them. They were just random. No, they tied together, and that's what gives them a connection.

Harry killed his Horcruxes. He killed his soul. And Voldemort died - that counts as him killing Voldy.

No harry and friends destroyed Horcruxes, nevill doing the last one and voldy the one before that, it was harry himself, severing ties to voldy except vengance.

Remember when quirell turned to ash after touching harry? Well harry gave this gift to all friends on the battle field when he sacrificed himself, or was willing to at least. This gives any number of people the power to kill voldy. And it was the elder wand that ultimately killed voldy. It might not have if harry wasn't there but the did. EOS

Friendship may have been a huge part of the story, but you can't deny the fact that Harry always was the star. ALWAYS. He was the leader. He was the driving force. His friends were just helping... but the story could not have been so without Harry. Without Harry, Voldemort never would have died.

Nobody defeated Voldemort, once and for all, except for Harry. Ron, Hermoine, and Neville couldn't have. But Harry did. Harry is the CO of the book.