DragonNighthowler

No More Chosen One, PLEASE!

I'm just gonna have to agree that Harry was "The Chosen One" and the series is classic "Chosen One" structure.

Seriously the only books you could even think were chosen one were 5-7. Really voldy didn't come through until the dead end of 4 so it don't count. All the books before 5 were "how he came to" plot not chosen one. So in reality if HP was a classic "chosen one" plot then it would only be 3 books long. Yeah, no. It was definitely NOT a classic chosen one. LoTR was a classic chosen one.

I will settle for atypical chosen one because looking at evidence it shows chosen one BUT looking at evidence also shows it wasn't the typical "chosen one" "Oh I can do this myself if I tried" plot.

Seriously the only books you could even think were chosen one were 5-7. Really voldy didn't come through until the dead end of 4 so it don't count. All the books before 5 were "how he came to" plot not chosen one. So in reality if HP was a classic "chosen one" plot then it would only be 3 books long. Yeah, no. It was definitely NOT a classic chosen one. LoTR was a classic chosen one.

I will settle for atypical chosen one because looking at evidence it shows chosen one BUT looking at evidence also shows it wasn't the typical "chosen one" "Oh I can do this myself if I tried" plot.

In the first book, all the teachesr are clueless enough to not know what was going on, but Smart, Brave Harry Potter figured it all out and stopped Quirrel.

In the second book, all the teachers do nothing, but Smart, Brave Harry Potter finds the Chamber of Secrets using his special ability, then kills a basilisk after pulling a sword out of a hat (something only someone special could've done).

The first two, at least, are pretty formulaic plots.

In the first book, all the teachesr are clueless enough to not know what was going on, but Smart, Brave Harry Potter figured it all out and stopped Quirrel.

In the second book, all the teachers do nothing, but Smart, Brave Harry Potter finds the Chamber of Secrets using his special ability, then kills a basilisk after pulling a sword out of a hat (something only someone special could've done).

The first two, at least, are pretty formulaic plots.

Couldn't have done it without ron and hermione. Plus he didn't figure it all out he thought it was snape. Plus that wasn't chosen one but the killing quirel was an olny him thing.

True but again without ron and hermione he would have gotten nowhere.

All those were normal child not listening to adults and getting into trouble that they just barely squirm through. Given harrys special abilitys but he wasn't "chosen" to do it. He went on his own accord.

agree with Wargod.

and also it wasn't his fault that he killed quirrel, he didn't have any idea...he raised his arms in defense when Quirrel came at him, and what do you know, his hand crumbled.

You see what your mothers do for you these days? lol xd.png

OK so how is this for compromise.

We agree the first 4 books were not "chosen one" but more of a "This is how I got here" deal.

We agree the last 3 books were your typical "chosen one".

So "chosen one" plot but done in an atypical way.

Can we agree on that and end it there?

I disagree that anyone could have killed Voldemort. Harry was The Chosen One, was basically told several times that he would have to kill Voldemort, and in the end Harry was the one who killed Voldemort. Nagini =/= Voldemort. Yes, Nagini held a part of Voldemort, but not Voldemort himself. That last and most important part lived inside of Voldemort, and only when Harry finished him off did he die.

Once again, Chosen Ones don't have to do absolutely everything by themselves. Yes, Ron and Hermonie were a big help get the stone in the first book, but who was it that faced Quirrel and Voldemort in the end? Who was it that "had to go on"?

Yes, Ron (and Lockhart) went down into the Chamber with Harry. But who was it that faced the basilisk and Riddle?

Since when is a typical Chosen One book only three books, thus making HP not a Chosen One series? o.O

I would argue that all the HP books were in true Chosen One style. The third could be the one exception, simply because Voldemort wasn't really in that one, but that doesn't mean the series as a whole wasn't a Chosen One series.

Harry is a Chosen One. :| You said he had lots of help and all those coincidences let to him being able to win, thus not making him a typical Chosen One.

Did those coincidences happen for anybody else? Nope, they happened for Mr. Potter. If they were really just coincidences, why couldn't they have ultimately led to, say, Neville offing Voldy? Or somebody else? They happened to Potter, who was described as 'The Chosen One', and he's a Chosen One. :|

I disagree that anyone could have killed Voldemort. Harry was The Chosen One, was basically told several times that he would have to kill Voldemort, and in the end Harry was the one who killed Voldemort. Nagini =/= Voldemort. Yes, Nagini held a part of Voldemort, but not Voldemort himself. That last and most important part lived inside of Voldemort, and only when Harry finished him off did he die.

Once again, Chosen Ones don't have to do absolutely everything by themselves. Yes, Ron and Hermonie were a big help get the stone in the first book, but who was it that faced Quirrel and Voldemort in the end? Who was it that "had to go on"?

Yes, Ron (and Lockhart) went down into the Chamber with Harry. But who was it that faced the basilisk and Riddle?

Since when is a typical Chosen One book only three books, thus making HP not a Chosen One series? o.O

I would argue that all the HP books were in true Chosen One style. The third could be the one exception, simply because Voldemort wasn't really in that one, but that doesn't mean the series as a whole wasn't a Chosen One series.

Chosen ones coincidentally don't chose to do what they set out to do. Being how voldy was dead 1-most of 4 he really wasn't chosen to do anything. He chose to get into mischief and the goal was to figure out the mystery which was never correct. Blammed snape in one and it was quirel. Blammed malfoy in two and it was a possesed ginny. The typical chosen one is the journey to one goal usually to destroy some evil which didn't start in HP till book near end of book 5 when you could say he was "officially" chosen to kill voldy.

Harry is a Chosen One. :| You said he had lots of help and all those coincidences let to him being able to win, thus not making him a typical Chosen One.

Did those coincidences happen for anybody else? Nope, they happened for Mr. Potter. If they were really just coincidences, why couldn't they have ultimately led to, say, Neville offing Voldy? Or somebody else? They happened to Potter, who was described as 'The Chosen One', and he's a Chosen One. :|

This.

Chosen ones coincidentally don't chose to do what they set out to do. Being how voldy was dead 1-most of 4 he really wasn't chosen to do anything. He chose to get into mischief and the goal was to figure out the mystery which was never correct. Blammed snape in one and it was quirel. Blammed malfoy in two and it was a possesed ginny. The typical chosen one is the journey to one goal usually to destroy some evil which didn't start in HP till book near end of book 5 when you could say he was "officially" chosen to kill voldy.

I think Harry was chosen from the beginning. I mean, no one else lived through the killing curse, much less lived through Voldemort (trying to) kill them.

Voldemort was never dead until Harry killed him in the end.

Chosen Ones don't have to get everything right all the time. In fact, most of them don't. Most of them have an internal battle with themselves (or external with others, or both) over whether or not they want to do what everyone expects them to do/accomplish, until they finally come to terms with having to do it.

The whole goal of Harry Potter was destroying Voldemort. That was the premise and plot of the book. Was there other stuff involved? Yes, but it all lead to Harry's success and Voldemort's demise.

This.

I think Harry was chosen from the beginning. I mean, no one else lived through the killing curse, much less lived through Voldemort (trying to) kill them.

Voldemort was never dead until Harry killed him in the end.

Chosen Ones don't have to get everything right all the time. In fact, most of them don't. Most of them have an internal battle with themselves (or external with others, or both) over whether or not they want to do what everyone expects them to do/accomplish, until they finally come to terms with having to do it.

The whole goal of Harry Potter was destroying Voldemort. That was the premise and plot of the book. Was there other stuff involved? Yes, but it all lead to Harry's success and Voldemort's demise.

The first 4 books were not, I repeat, were NOT chosen one plot. A build up to the chosen one plot present in books 5-7 but not actually the chosen one plot. Every chosen one series or books start the same. The chosen one finds out he is meant to defeat some terrible evil so they set out on a journey to accomplish this goal. Now this sounds like book 5 to me. So as I said books 1-4 are "how I got here" and 5-7 are "chosen one"

The first 4 books were not, I repeat, were NOT chosen one plot. A build up to the chosen one plot present in books 5-7 but not actually the chosen one plot. Every chosen one series or books start the same. The chosen one finds out he is meant to defeat some terrible evil so they set out on a journey to accomplish this goal. Now this sounds like book 5 to me. So as I said books 1-4 are "how I got here" and 5-7 are "chosen one"

Book One - all the adults (well, except for Snape who doesn't actually stop anything and isn't even involved in the end) are clueless about the danger the sorcerer's/philosopher's stone is in. EXCEPT Harry, who just knows, and ends up facing Quirrel/Voldemort in the end, introducing us to the power his mother gave to him with her love, ending up with him "beating" Voldy.

Book Two - all the adults kind of just flounder about as Harry and co. work on figuring out what's going on. In the end, Harry ends up - once again alone - facing Riddle. Defeating not only Riddle (and therefore the first Horcrux) but also the basilisk.

Book Four - Harry and Cedric are transported directly to Voldemort, ending up with Harry once again alone, as Cedric is killed right away. Harry is strong enough to hold his curse against Voldy and then also strong enough to break it and escape with this life.

Book Three I've give you not a "typical" chosen one plot, but as the rest of the books are, it's part of a chosen one series. Book One, Two, and Four, Harry faces Voldemort alone and ultimately defeats him on his own, learning new skills that he can put together at the end to fully defeat Voldemort. Just because a book includes "how I got here/where I'm going" doesn't mean they can't also be a Chosen One book.

Book One - all the adults (well, except for Snape who doesn't actually stop anything and isn't even involved in the end) are clueless about the danger the sorcerer's/philosopher's stone is in. EXCEPT Harry, who just knows, and ends up facing Quirrel/Voldemort in the end, introducing us to the power his mother gave to him with her love, ending up with him "beating" Voldy.

Book Two - all the adults kind of just flounder about as Harry and co. work on figuring out what's going on. In the end, Harry ends up - once again alone - facing Riddle. Defeating not only Riddle (and therefore the first Horcrux) but also the basilisk.

Book Four - Harry and Cedric are transported directly to Voldemort, ending up with Harry once again alone, as Cedric is killed right away. Harry is strong enough to hold his curse against Voldy and then also strong enough to break it and escape with this life.

Book Three I've give you not a "typical" chosen one plot, but as the rest of the books are, it's part of a chosen one series. Book One, Two, and Four, Harry faces Voldemort alone and ultimately defeats him on his own, learning new skills that he can put together at the end to fully defeat Voldemort. Just because a book includes "how I got here/where I'm going" doesn't mean they can't also be a Chosen One book.

But books 1-3 at least HE chose, nobody else, HIM, to do what he did and he never expected to face some evil he just smelt fish and had to see what kind. Chosen one I think not. Book 4 wasn't chosen one because he thought he was pranked and never expected to face voldy and it was voldy's victims that allowed him to escape. So that wasn't chosen one. Book 5 is where the prophecy came in and book 7 was when the journey started. So books 1-4 were just the building blocks to 5-7 not really incorporating the chosen one plot but building up to it.

But books 1-3 at least HE chose, nobody else, HIM, to do what he did and he never expected to face some evil he just smelt fish and had to see what kind. Chosen one I think not. Book 4 wasn't chosen one because he thought he was pranked and never expected to face voldy and it was voldy's victims that allowed him to escape. So that wasn't chosen one. Book 5 is where the prophecy came in and book 7 was when the journey started. So books 1-4 were just the building blocks to 5-7 not really incorporating the chosen one plot but building up to it.

Just because we didn't know about the prophesy yet doesn't mean it didn't exist.

In all the books, he felt compelled to do the right thing, as all Chosen Ones do. He had no real choice in the matter, because if he hadn't done it, nobody else would have. Nobody else went after Quirrel. Nobody else even knew where to start looking for the Chamber. In the graveyard, Cedric was older and more experienced, and yet it was Harry who escaped with his life, after Voldemort once again failed to kill him. Voldemort's victim's never would have been able to help him out if he hadn't thrown a spell at Voldemort or if he hadn't been able to break it. As I said, Chosen Ones can have help along that way, but that doesn't mean they aren't still Chosen Ones.

Plot Summary of Harry Potter if he's not a Chosen One:

Book One:

Harry: Gee, what do I know? I'm just a first-year student here who has a problem with my potions professor. I think I'll let the grown-ups handle any issues I imagine there might be, because if anything is wrong they're far more qualified than I am to stop it, even if it seems like they're clueless.

Voldy: Lol gaiz, I has TEH MAGIK STONE, and now I'm BACK!

Everybody: OH SHI--

Voldy: lol I win! *tries to kill Harry, fails due to his mom's protection* WTF UR USING HAX!

Harry: Wait, what just happened?

Dumbledore: EXPLAINATION! biggrin.gif

Voldy: *has a Death Eater kill Harry*

Everybody: OH SHI--

Voldy: Lol, I win for realz now!

Voldy wins, everyone dies.

End of Harry Potter story.

:|

He was the only one who could stop it. You take him trying to stop what was going on out of the story, and nobody stops Quirrel in time.

Best-case scenario, Snape manages to stop Quirrel. In that case, we get:

Harry: Gee, what do I know? I'm just a first-year student here who has a problem with my potions professor. I think I'll let the grown-ups handle any issues I imagine there might be, because if anything is wrong they're far more qualified than I am to stop it, even if it seems like they're clueless.

Snape: The Dark Lord tried to get the Philosopher's Stone. I foiled him, however he has escaped.

Everybody: Oh shi--

Voldy: CURSE YOU SNAPE, YOU BETRAYED ME. I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!

End of Book 1.

Book 2:

Harry: Well, I'm just a second-year student here. I can't possibly be qualified enough to stop any evil beasts. Besides, we have that new professor, he sounds capable enough!

Basilisk: I'm in ur school, petrifying ur witches and wizards!

Everybody: Oh shi--!

Dumbledore: Well, looks like we gotta close the school down! Bye!

Harry: Oh darn, now I gotta go live with my evil relatives again.

Voldy: I ttly figured this out, gaiz! *has used Quirrel/some other poor person to get a sort of body back using TEH SEKRIT DARK MAGIKZ*

Minion: Hay, Harry, I'm in ur house, killin ur relatives. Cuz TEH DARK LORD SAID TO. COME HERE! -kidnaps-

Voldy: lol, magic ritual makes me full health!

Harry: HAX!

Voldy: I'm not takin dis chance. MINION, KILL HIM.

Minion: *kills Harry*

Voldy: I WIN FER REALZ!

Voldy wins, everyone dies.

End of Harry Potter series.

In both the first and second books, Harry was the only person who both figured everything out in the end (though yes, with help) and able to stop what was going down. You didn't see Neville pulling the sword from the hat and stabbing the Basilisk. You didn't see Ron going on ahead with Harry trapped with the professor. The teachers sure didn't save the day. Nope, that was all Harry. Sure, Harry didn't, say, find out he was gonna do that stuff CUZ DESTINY SAID SO and all, but a Chosen one is the one who saves the people because they're the only one who can. In both books one and two, Harry ends up being the only one who is able to stop things. If things had played out a bit differently, maybe Snape would have been able to stop Voldy in book one, but in book 2 it was all Harry. :| I don't think any of the others would have even been able to get in, as they can't speak... Whatever that is called, the talking-to-snakes thing.

Therefore even if they were able to figure things out, they wouldn't have been able to get in. Unless they could blast the wall down, but I kinda figure that if it's a secret, forbidden chamber there's gonna be a hell of a lot of enchantments to keep that from happening, and by the time they figured out how to stop everything it might very well have been too late.

Just because we didn't know about the prophesy yet doesn't mean it didn't exist.

In all the books, he felt compelled to do the right thing, as all Chosen Ones do. He had no real choice in the matter, because if he hadn't done it, nobody else would have. Nobody else went after Quirrel. Nobody else even knew where to start looking for the Chamber. In the graveyard, Cedric was older and more experienced, and yet it was Harry who escaped with his life, after Voldemort once again failed to kill him. Voldemort's victim's never would have been able to help him out if he hadn't thrown a spell at Voldemort or if he hadn't been able to break it. As I said, Chosen Ones can have help along that way, but that doesn't mean they aren't still Chosen Ones.

Geez he was not chosen to do anything untill book 5 because voldemort was dead until the dead end of book 4 hence the prophecy had no meaning. He was a curious kid getting into trouble. Nothing more. He smelt fish and had to see what kind. It was a mystery he had to solve. Sure his gifts were what won it for him but just because he had gifts doesn't make him a chosen one. Book 4 is a bit iffy but he was forced into a competition he could not quit and was played. He wasn't given a mission to destroy evil. It doesn't matter if nobody else would have done it. In the end HE chose to do the things he did on his own. There was no pushing of some stupid prophecy or outside influence. He chose it thus NOT making him a chosen one. 4 was a oh well I might as well win scenario. Chosen one plots are clear cut. The chosen one KNOWS he is chosen because he is told and there is a journey. There ALWAYS is. Until book 5 there was no forcing (well a bit in 4) and there was no journey. Not making them chosen one books until 5.

Geez he was not chosen to do anything untill book 5 because voldemort was dead until the dead end of book 4 hence the prophecy had no meaning. He was a curious kid getting into trouble. Nothing more. He smelt fish and had to see what kind. It was a mystery he had to solve. Sure his gifts were what won it for him but just because he had gifts doesn't make him a chosen one. Book 4 is a bit iffy but he was forced into a competition he could not quit and was played. He wasn't given a mission to destroy evil. It doesn't matter if nobody else would have done it. In the end HE chose to do the things he did on his own. There was no pushing of some stupid prophecy or outside influence. He chose it thus NOT making him a chosen one. 4 was a oh well I might as well win scenario. Chosen one plots are clear cut. The chosen one KNOWS he is chosen because he is told and there is a journey. There ALWAYS is. Until book 5 there was no forcing (well a bit in 4) and there was no journey. Not making them chosen one books until 5.

The prophesy was made before Voldemort attacked Harry and his parents.

Once again, Voldemort was never dead. He was not fully alive, but if he had been dead, there would be no story. Because of the Horcrux's Voldemort was able to survive, first leeching off Quirrel, drinking unicorn blood, then as a broken thing, figuring out how to gain a body again, as Harry battled his memory/spirit-from-the-Horcrux, and then faced him again after he was given a body of his own.

Other kids were curious. Why did they not also "smell fish and have to see what kind"? Because they weren't the Chosen One. Harry was, so he got involved and faced Voldemort time and time again.

He didn't choose to do those things in the end. He had to because nobody else could. He fought long and hard with himself and in the end accepted that he had to do them. Because, as the Chosen One, he was the only one able to do them.

No, I can think of plenty of Chosen One plots where the Chosen One starts out in the dark about being the Chosen One until his mentor reveals it to him, though he is fighting the path of evil the whole time, or being trained to.

Harry is clearly the Chosen One from book one, from the point he's called The-Boy-Who-Lived. Or else he would have done what all the other children did and let the more experienced adults take care of it.

The prophesy was made before Voldemort attacked Harry and his parents.

Once again, Voldemort was never dead. He was not fully alive, but if he had been dead, there would be no story. Because of the Horcrux's Voldemort was able to survive, first leeching off Quirrel, drinking unicorn blood, then as a broken thing, figuring out how to gain a body again, as Harry battled his memory/spirit-from-the-Horcrux, and then faced him again after he was given a body of his own.

Other kids were curious. Why did they not also "smell fish and have to see what kind"? Because they weren't the Chosen One. Harry was, so he got involved and faced Voldemort time and time again.

He didn't choose to do those things in the end. He had to because nobody else could. He fought long and hard with himself and in the end accepted that he had to do them. Because, as the Chosen One, he was the only one able to do them.

No, I can think of plenty of Chosen One plots where the Chosen One starts out in the dark about being the Chosen One until his mentor reveals it to him, though he is fighting the path of evil the whole time, or being trained to.

Harry is clearly the Chosen One from book one, from the point he's called The-Boy-Who-Lived. Or else he would have done what all the other children did and let the more experienced adults take care of it.

It is simple fact he chose. Saying destiny did it so he didn't actually chose is not a good counter argument. He chose. Curiousity killed the cat they say and Harry wouldn't have gad to stop quirel if his curiosity hadn't gotten the better of him. He in fact almost helped him. No prophecy led him in that room. No prophecy led him to the chamber. It was his curiosity and gary-stuness that did it. Thus not making it chosen one.

Seriously can't you at least TRY to compromise? I mean I went from he isn't chosen one to givin you books 5-7. I will even give you 4 but compromise. You need to relinquish something.

He "chose". He chose because he had to. Because he was the Chosen One from the beginning of the series.

As Kage illustrated, if Harry wasn't the Chosen One, the books would have been very different. And drastically shorter. :3

It is simple fact he chose. Saying destiny did it so he didn't actually chose is not a good counter argument. He chose. Curiousity killed the cat they say and Harry wouldn't have gad to stop quirel if his curiosity hadn't gotten the better of him. He in fact almost helped him. No prophecy led him in that room. No prophecy led him to the chamber. It was his curiosity and gary-stuness that did it. Thus not making it chosen one.

Seriously can't you at least TRY to compromise? I mean I went from he isn't chosen one to givin you books 5-7. I will even give you 4 but compromise. You need to relinquish something.

There are other stories where the Chosen one learns of their status as Chosen One because they're led to whoever/whatever reveals it to them out of sheer curiosity. :|

No, Sock does NOT need to relinquish anything. Nobody is forced to change their ideas about anything. How about YOU need to relinquish your idea that Harry is a not a Chose One from the start? Because you don't need to. You cannot tell somebody they NEED to do anything in this matter, because they don't feel the same way you do. If they have arguments they believe support their point, they are entirely entitled to hold whatever view they want. Don't go telling Sock that they need to compromise, they don't. :|

He "chose". He chose because he had to. Because he was the Chosen One from the beginning of the series.

As Kage illustrated, if Harry wasn't the Chosen One, the books would have been very different. And drastically shorter. :3

But he DIDN'T have to chose. He chose because HE wanted to. Nothing else.

Really give me books 1-3. All I am asking. We are going around in circles. Compromise is necessary at this point. 4-5 is more then half the series and I am degrading 1-3 to building blocks to the real plot. I can't go lower.

But he DIDN'T have to chose. He chose because HE wanted to. Nothing else.

Really give me books 1-3. All I am asking. We are going around in circles. Compromise is necessary at this point. 4-5 is more then half the series and I am degrading 1-3 to building blocks to the real plot. I can't go lower.

1/2 of 7 =/= 2 books. o.O

He didn't have a choice. He did what he thought was right, because that's what Chosen Ones do. If he had not made the "choices" he did, he would not have been the Chosen One, he most likely would have been killed, and someone else would have saved the day. Consistently, Harry was the only one who saved th day because he was the only one that could. Harry = Chosen One.

No, it isn't. You're entitled to believe whatever you want, so if you refuse to belive that Harry is a Chose One from the start, go right ahead. But Sock doesn't need to change her view to compromise with yours. :|

1/2 of 7 =/= 2 books. o.O

He didn't have a choice. He did what he thought was right, because that's what Chosen Ones do. If he had not made the "choices" he did, he would not have been the Chosen One, he most likely would have been killed, and someone else would have saved the day. Consistently, Harry was the only one who saved th day because he was the only one that could. Harry = Chosen One.

But at least through books 1-3 he wasn't the chosen one because there was no need for a chosen one. Building blocks to the real plot. Plots in a series don't always start at the beginning. Sometimes a book or two is used to build to it. half of 7 is 3.5 not two. Giving you 4-7 is more then half the series. Plus I am saying 1-3 were building up to the plot of the series which is chosen one. Not actually being chosen one but building to it. Can we agree to that?

Oh, you typo'd the first time. 2 < 3.5. 3 < 3.5, also, actually. ;3

All the books were "building blocks" to the end. That doesn't change the fact that Harry was a Chosen One the whole way through. :3