DragonNighthowler

No More Chosen One, PLEASE!

HP wasn't really chosen by Voldemort. Voldemort didn't realize he was actively choosing his opponent, he thought he was killing someone who could hurt him in the future. I wouldn't say that that makes Harry a chosen one.

HP wasn't really chosen by Voldemort. Voldemort didn't realize he was actively choosing his opponent, he thought he was killing someone who could hurt him in the future. I wouldn't say that that makes Harry a chosen one.

I think it matters more than Rowling chose him to defeat Voldy than Voldy himself chose in this case.

Guys, HP is a chosen one. That's all there is to it. It doesn't have to be so specific, the point is that I read the series as HP being a chosen one. It's a formula, it's a plot, it's a story. And it doesn't matter how technical you have to make it, HP is a chosen one because Voldemort, whether he realized it or not, chose his enemy, and HP ended up defeating the big bad when no one else could.

That's what makes a chosen one. It doesn't have to be so super complex - Harry was chosen, he fought the big bad, and killed the big bad when no one else could. End of story.

I don't think it's so much a problem of using the Chosen One formula, but of using it badly.

Clash of the Titans was wayyyyy lame. And way Chosen One. Percy Jackson I just avoided at all costs because it seemed like a badly used CO story. There are good stories with CO characters, I think. The Gray Wardens in DragonAge Origins were kind of cheesy, but there was some creativity in there too... But the CO part was definitely cheesy.

I mean, is there a difference between "Chosen One" and "protagonist"???

Yes. The protagonist is the main character, the one you cheer for. If they have to go defeat a big bad, they do it by choice. Chosen One means that they are the only one who can defeat the big bad and they were chosen to do so.

Clash of the Titans sucked. =V Instead, I just told my mother the story of Perseus.

Guys, HP is a chosen one. That's all there is to it. It doesn't have to be so specific, the point is that I read the series as HP being a chosen one. It's a formula, it's a plot, it's a story. And it doesn't matter how technical you have to make it, HP is a chosen one because Voldemort, whether he realized it or not, chose his enemy, and HP ended up defeating the big bad when no one else could.

That's what makes a chosen one. It doesn't have to be so super complex - Harry was chosen, he fought the big bad, and killed the big bad when no one else could. End of story.

But harry DIDN'T kill voldy. HARRY CHOSE to fight in the end. I will grant that harry was semi-chosen one. It was easiest for him to beat voldy but anyone could have done it. So SEMI-chosen one.

How can someone argue that Harry isn't a chosen one... when every single person in the book calls him 'The Chosen One'? O.o

/end of stupid thought.

And I agree with the ones that say that it would have been way better in Neville killed Voldemort.. it would have been a nice twist in the end.

Oh well, chosen ones. What can I say? I really prefer anti-heroes, groups of protagonists or heroes by choice than those who were raised to kill the big bad guy... they make much more interesting characters.

Okay so I reread the prophecy and harry was the only one who could stop him. It also said either must die at the hand of the other because neither can live while the other survives. Guess what Voldy killed harry hence completing the prophecy and nevill was a big help seeing as he was the one who killed voldy's snake who was the final horcrux leaving voldy human so when he got hit with the backlash curse he effectively died making nevill the one who truely finished off voldy for good.

Edited by crazywargod

Yes exactly.

But Harry had to be the one to actually make the expelliarmus because its part of the prophecy.

and since Voldemort won't leave hte prophecy alone like a good little boy, Harry must kill him.

Or else he DIES.

I would say it was the combined effort of nevill and harry but in the end nevill truely killed voldy for good.

I would say it was the combined effort of nevill and harry but in the end nevill truely killed voldy for good.

Then it's the combined effort of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Neville, and anyone else who destroyed a Horcrux, and Voldemort himself, since he destroyed one too.

Then it's the combined effort of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Neville, and anyone else who destroyed a Horcrux, and Voldemort himself, since he destroyed one too.

Then there you go. Harry couldn't have done it otherwise. If any of those were left it could be used to revive voldy and voldy wouldn't fall for the same trick twice and he probably would have won. Add in malfoy disarming dumbledore followed by harry disarming malfoy. He wouldn't have won the duel if not for that. You can say harry beat voldy but in the end it was harry plus nevill, ron, hermione, dumbledore, and malfoy's combined efforts that really finished voldy.

How can someone argue that Harry isn't a chosen one... when every single person in the book calls him 'The Chosen One'? O.o

x3 ^ This. Totally this.

HARRY CHOSE to fight in the end. I will grant that harry was semi-chosen one.

Harry didn't really choose. He just came to terms with having to do it, methinks.

~

And, yes, as I said before, Harry did have help. But who was it that finished off Voldemort? Who was it that was prophised to do so? Who was everyone depending on to do it? Who was the Chosen One?

Harry.

No one ever said Chosen Ones had to do absolutely everything by themselves. |D

Then there you go. Harry couldn't have done it otherwise. If any of those were left it could be used to revive voldy and voldy wouldn't fall for the same trick twice and he probably would have won. Add in malfoy disarming dumbledore followed by harry disarming malfoy. He wouldn't have won the duel if not for that. You can say harry beat voldy but in the end it was harry plus nevill, ron, hermione, dumbledore, and malfoy's combined efforts that really finished voldy.

Or you could say the sheer amount of coincidences that allow Harry to land the final blow makes HIM the Chosen One.

I think he could've destoryed all the horcruxes himself, anyway.

I've been thinking this throughout the whole thread...

Chosen ones are annoying and blegh, in my opinion.

Or you could say the sheer amount of coincidences that allow Harry to land the final blow makes HIM the Chosen One.

I think he could've destoryed all the horcruxes himself, anyway.

No because voldy kept the last one with him and he was supposed to be dead while hagrid was carrying him giving him no chance to do anything. So if nevill had not sliced the snakes head off voldy wouldn't have died. Too many things happened for harry to be a chosen one.

Harry chose to fight because he wanted to help his friends. Really he could have just ran away when he slipped on that invisibility cloak but being a gary-stu decided to help his friends. At that point it was malfoy that won him the duel by being the weakling he was.

Too many "coincidences" happened.

Lets just say he wasn't your typical chosen one character. Typical being it was all him and only he could do it. In the end he had massive help and others could have done it but he did. So chosen one? Yes. Typical? No.

Can we all agree on that at least?

MOST chosen ones have help along the way.

Ah but harry's was MASSIVE couldn't have done it otherwise help.

Harry chose to fight because he wanted to help his friends. Really he could have just ran away when he slipped on that invisibility cloak but being a gary-stu decided to help his friends. At that point it was malfoy that won him the duel by being the weakling he was.

A lot of Chosen Ones also "choose" to fight. Yes, in the end, he "chose" (again, I'd argue came to terms with it) to fight, but he also had to. If he had not fought, Voldemort would not have been killed.

Lets just say he wasn't your typical chosen one character. Typical being it was all him and only he could do it. In the end he had massive help and others could have done it but he did. So chosen one? Yes. Typical? No.

Can we all agree on that at least?

No, sorry. x3

Again, CO's don't have to do absolutely everything by themselves. People can train them, fight alongside them, aide them, ect, but in the end, if they don't do it, nobody will because nobody else can.

A lot of Chosen Ones also "choose" to fight. Yes, in the end, he "chose" (again, I'd argue came to terms with it) to fight, but he also had to. If he had not fought, Voldemort would not have been killed.

No, sorry. x3

Again, CO's don't have to do absolutely everything by themselves. People can train them, fight alongside them, aide them, ect, but in the end, if they don't do it, nobody will because nobody else can.

But harry WASN'T the only one who could do it and it wasn't just oh you trained me and made it easier it was OMFG I couldn't do it without you. That and his job was basically done for him. He just gave the semi-final blow. Voldy did the final blow.

But harry WASN'T the only one who could do it and it wasn't just oh you trained me and made it easier it was OMFG I couldn't do it without you. That and his job was basically done for him. He just gave the semi-final blow. Voldy did the final blow.

o.O Who else could have done it?

Rowling even called Harry "The Chosen One".

o.O Who else could have done it?

Rowling even called Harry "The Chosen One".

Nevill, Hermione, Ron, basically anyone who harry died for at the end.

but what about the prophecy? O.o

Either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.

Voldy killed harry at the end effectively fulfilling the prophocy. Harry of course comes back AGAIN, damned cockroach, and wins a duel but doesn't actually kill voldy. A backlash curse does that. Nevill killed the snake, voldy's last chance at life hence killing him for good.

x3 ^ This. Totally this.

Harry didn't really choose. He just came to terms with having to do it, methinks.

~

And, yes, as I said before, Harry did have help. But who was it that finished off Voldemort? Who was it that was prophised to do so? Who was everyone depending on to do it? Who was the Chosen One?

Harry.

No one ever said Chosen Ones had to do absolutely everything by themselves. |D

This. =V