kadoatie

What makes you like/hate a novel?

Why do you read? Enjoyment, escape, ideas, improving something in yourself, nothing better to do?

Ideas, mostly. Inspiration. Also enjoyment, if I just want a funny book. And no, these ideas generaly are not for writing. There for dreaming. Loooong story.

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements (ex, the author is a homophobe or a rabid [insert political group] or likes trashing other people.. do you care):

Not overly, I don't think.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect (ex, characterization, style, plot, ending, idea) outweigh s[...] in all the other areas?

I would say unexpected plots and charecters who aren't super shalow, but lots of other things matter to. Some of the books I enjoyed most were because of the whole world other then where the story takes place.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings?

Well, Sues suck, and it has to be relitively fast paced or I'l never finish it.

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of?

It depends. I wont start reading something that seems not right for me anyway, but usually when it starts fading away fom my intrests. Sometimes I can come back however.

Is there anything in a review/synopsis that automatically makes you want to try/never want to try a novel?

Well, if they say the book is horrible, i probably wont stat readin it.

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it?

Fantasy, definitely (with an I, not an A). Its usualy all I read.

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to?

Depends how much I love the book.

Why do you read? Enjoyment, escape, ideas, improving something in yourself, nothing better to do?

Enjoyment mostly smile.gif but it depends on the book, sometimes i might want to read a specific book, or a specific type of book, for a reason, maybe if something has happened, as a kind of escape and/or a way to deal with whatever it is. but reading is also a good way to learn, be it writing, spelling, or whatever.

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements (ex, the author is a homophobe or a rabid [insert political group] or likes trashing other people.. do you care)?

Yes, these things matter to me. The cover might entice me to pick up a book i've never heard of, and never would have noticed, or a really interesting title might do the same.

I never read blurbs/summaries 'cuz they tend to spoil, or be inaccurate.

how the author is kinda matters... depending on what it's about- i mean, if s/he's some kind of fanatic that think that [insert minority group/whatever here] is an adomination and says this at every given moment it will make me less inclined to read their books, but it would take something extreme.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect (ex, characterization, style, plot, ending, idea) outweigh s[...] in all the other areas?

Hmmm, depend on that one aspect i think. it's difficult to say. usually i judge a book in parts i think- how well written it is, plot, ending, and characters, and then how these are mixed together. A book that is well written but has a weak plot can still be good, or a book with a good plot but the writing is not the best might still be worth the read.

i think if there are more bad aspects than good i tend to dislike the book, but if there's only one or so bad aspects i might 'forgive' them.

however a very bad ending can completely destroy a good book for me. (a bad ending is not all endings that end unhappily- a lot of books with unhappy endings are 'good' endings).

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? (Elaborate, please? @_@)

i am pretty fed up with Mary Sues. And i find myself more and more bored with stories that revolve around two characters that are obviously gonna end up with each other and though there is another plot, it becomes second hand to the romance bit. soooo boring.

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of?

Sometimes. i won't have a definite decision of what i think about a book until i've gotten at least half way, though usually i try to reserve my final decision until i've finished it, but a bad beginning/or similar can definitely colour my opinion and make it much more difficult to read. reviews can have the same effect.

Is there anything in a review/synopsis that automatically makes you want to try/never want to try a novel?

I don't know, and i can't come up with anything right now that would make me want to read/never want to read something... unless of course i didn't know anything about the book and the review/synopsis revealed it to be a genre i am not interested in (like young angsty teen girls in love).

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it?

Fantasy. I am a diehard fantasy girl :3 I love magic and the fantasic! Dragons and mysterious creatures! prophecy and fate, chosen ones and doomed villains. I've always thought our world was a little boring and that the imagination was much more interesting- you can think up anything. though now as i am getting older i find it more and more difficult to find fantasy books that i can get passionate about- lately they seem more and more similar, and finding the good ones are getting harder.

i do read outside 'my genre' but it's not often tongue.gif

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to?

Not to anyone, but to family and close friends i'll tell them i really like the book, and why, and tell them a little about it, and if i think they'd like it or not.

Edited by afie

I read mostly for enjoyment and lack of other things to do, but if a book really catches my eye chances are I'll read it just for the fun of reading it.

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements (ex, the author is a homophobe or a rabid [insert political group] or likes trashing other people.. do you care)?

I don't really care so long as the book is good. I actually like the summaries.

If I've read them the whole way through, I judge them as a whole. If I've only read it partway, something else gets judged harder than another aspect.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? (Elaborate, please? @_@)

I HATE cliche characters. Flat, whiny, under- or completely un-developed characters also get on my nerves. When i read, i want to see GOOD characters, not awful ones. The characters tend to keep me hooked on a story more than the plot.

Hmmm...sometimes, if a lot of my friends have read a book and told me it was bad, I won't read it. I can dislike a novel that I have read synopses/reviews of. It has to be something I'm interested in reading about or I won't pick it up.

If the synopsis/review makes the book sound cliche or as if that type of book has been done before, I won't try to find/read it. Or if a synopsis/review is has no priase for a book, I won't read it. I like to read things that other people also seem to like.

I have to say my favorite fiction genre is fantasy or young adult. Those are my favorites mostly because i'm a young adult myself but also because the books in those categories appeal to me and because many of the YA/fantasy books have great stories.

I do read widely outside those categories; I like some adult fiction and some mystery.

I don't generally recommend books but if I REALLY like soemthing I'll tell my friends about it.

Why do you read? Enjoyment and escape.

Do the non-content things matter to you? Not really. A book is a book. If its a bad book, I dont care if the author gave all the proceeds to the Haiti Fund. It was still a bad book.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect Umm, depends. I read a great book... and then it was ruined by a very graphic and unnessary sex scene at the end. I hate that book. My boss told me to weed the YA section and thats one of the books I picked. She agreed with me and took it out.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? I love gaymale fiction. I'd rather have the charecters know they're gay then be like, oh, I am? Though some of those can be great books.

I also love fantasy books with little to none romance to them. Books like the Mercedes Thompson series, the romance was ok, cause it wasnt "Hi Im Mary" "Hi Im Bill, wanna have sex?" I hate those. In the M.T. Series, it took her 4 books to agree to go out with the guy.

I also love dragons and magic and all that jazz.

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? I read a book by one of my favorite authors and I threw it accross the room by the time I got to page 10. They had just met two days ago and were already madly in love. I've given up on a few books before I've even gotten to page 2.

Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of? Yep. I have refused to read many a book because of the reviews/blurbs/author.

Is there anything in a review/synopsis that automatically makes you want to try/never want to try a novel? The words "great romance" or "mystery" or "science fiction".

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it?Gaymale - really? You have to ask? Fantasy - that should also be a given. Teen - ok, this one I should explain. Besides the Gay Teen, and the Fantasy Teen, and the Gay Fantasy Teen books, I like angsty teen ones. When I am having a really bad day, I will read one, (like Cut by Patricia McCormick) and feel better because my life is no where near as bad as that.

And I have just started Listening to Mysteries. I wont read them though.

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to? Well, at work, I cant really talk about my Gaymale Obsession, I like my job. But I will talk the ear off any teen who comes and asks me for a good book. And I will pile them with 8 or 9 books. I get excited talking about books and my boss will tell me to lower my voice sometimes.

With the Adults, if they dont like Fantasy or Teen, I tell them "Im sorry, thats not my section, but I can tell you what I've heard is good."

Edited by Kanaye

Why do you read? I read because it entertains me at certain points. I like the feeling that I'm actually DOING something other than surfing the web or working for eight hours or watch TV or call my girlfriend or be with friends.

Do the non-content things matter to you? No, not at all. I don't really care about titles, or index. Just care about the contents.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect? I usually want to judge it as a whole, even if some chapters makes me want to stop reading and read something else. You never know what could happen next.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? Yes. I hate characters who have a ruined personality. I mean, seriously, no one wants to know how desperate they were, or how they tried this and that.

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? I try and see within three pages that this story is good. And I check other pages that I have never read to see whether the plot stays the same or changes dramatically. If it does, I don't like to continue.

Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of? Yes, even if I was curious. I don't want to spend dollars on a piece of poop that people say is so uninteresting, and too dramatic. Really don't like that.

Is there anything in a review/synopsis that automatically makes you want to try/never want to try a novel? I despise stories that have nothing great than romance and drama. Seriously, there's more genres in this world than that. There's action, fantasy, thriller. Not JUST romance and drama.

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it? I like fantasy. Why? Because it's out of this world, literally. I like the fact that the writers thought outside the box and wrote stories like it.

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to? I never tried and recommended a book to my friends before, and I might as well not.

Have you ever wondered this about other people's preferences too? No. People have their own different opinions and personal likings in life, so it's best I don't try and figure it for myself.

Edited by doublelouble

Mostly enjoyment and escape.

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements?

It depends. Usually, I don't really care. I'll sometimes read the blurb, and, if it catches my attention, then I'll read the book. If the cover has some heavily made up girl/young woman flashing her navel on it, then chances are I won't read it.

I don't particularly care about the author's affiliations.

I try to judge books as a whole. Weak charaterisation/plot can, in my view, ruin an otherwise good book.

Characters who have flat, under-developed personalities annoy me. I wouldn't say that I hate them, but if they don't improve during the course of the book, then I end up getting a little disgusted.

I'm not one for stories that are purely romance/drama either. I don't mind a little, but if the characters get together within the first few pages, it gets boring.

In terms of writing styles, if it reads like the author has abused a Thesaurus, I walk away. Purple prose is something I can't stomach. While I don't mind too much if the story gets a little bogged down in description every now and then, reading three or more pages describing how the sun shone off random objects is not my idea of a good time.

If I can't get into a book within three or four pages, then I'm not going to read it.

I'm not too keen on reading about sex or anything similar. If I know that a book has something of that nature in it, then I'll find something else.

I used to read nothing but sci-fi and fantasy, mainly because I just wanted to escape from the world. While I still like them, I read more widely now. Mystery, adventure and some non-fiction scattered here and there.

No. And I probably won't.

all of thee above mostly....

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements?

I don't judge books by the front covers, but by the back ;p

well in twilight, well...I hated everything about it

I HATE sparkly vampires sleep.gif cheesy fantasy that kind of stuff, ever read let the right one in? it's a book written by a man from Sweden later turned movie THAT is what i like

also anything Sy-fi (Basilisk the serpent king @___@)

Dracula that kind of stuff, I dislike young adult writtings

Page 5 twilight after that, hated it, BUT read all four books and you know what it blows, hard with glitter, worst thing ever written

though I'll read anything by Lovecraft biggrin.gif

two words: "Sparkly vampire"

I mostly read sy-fi vampire and historical horror fiction

hmm Goth chick I'd recommend a goth book, a twilight fan I'd recommend a slap in the face any questions? sleep.gif I'm gonna get attacked for saying this aren't i?

Usually a combination of boredom and enjoyment.

If it looks like just another <insert genre here> book from the summary and cover, I usually get turned off.

I usually judge it as a whole after finishing it, but I do tend to emphasize small areas as I read.

I don't like having perfect good guys vs. filthy, rotten bad guys, unless the book gives a good, interesting explanation (ex. The bad guy is evil in Inkheart because his creator made him that way). Anything noticeably stereotypical about the characters or plot tends to put me off. I do like more realistic behavior and settings, though.

I never read reviews. I only go by word of mouth. How quickly I judge a book depends on how bad it is, much like how I am with movies.

If it isn't a heavily used style of plotline/ setting, I'll be lured.

I used to read lots of fantasy when I was younger, but I tend to shy away from it now, since the books in it tend to, with exceptions, read as essentially the same basic plots and settings rewritten to me.(Please, nobody flame me for this. This is just a personal bias...) I still read a little, but I'm being increasingly drawn to the thriller/horror genre. I also like to read nonfiction, including real-life stories.

If I happen to be on the subject of good books with someone, I'll bring it up.

Edited by sir_horsey_XIX

Enjoyment

One thing I have noticed is that if the cover is well done then the author cares about the book.

I see it as a whole. If I did not then I would focuss the rest of my time reading the book picking it apart.

I hate the filler characters, and all the characters that just sit around. Also, perfect characters anoy me. *Coughs*Sparkly Vampire*Coughs again*

Romance books Annoy me for quite a few reasons. They never end the way I would prefer, and are just plain, predictable, and boring.

I like the characters that are loud, flawd, abnoxious and take charge. Sometimes an overpowering monster that is blinded by hatred can spark my attention. Sadly, the characters I like either die or fall in love with someone I despise.

I don't read reviews. Also, if I don't like a book by the end of the first chapter I stop reading.

No, I don't read them.

I like fantasy because anything can happen however I often read anything I can find.

I have only recommended a book once, and that was a book they were suited to.

Edited by vorthera

Why do you read? Enjoyment, escape, ideas, improving something in yourself, nothing better to do? Hmm, all of the above? Mostly I read because I don't have anything else to do at the moment, and I like being able to get a bit of adventure in my life.

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements (ex, the author is a homophobe or a rabid [insert political group] or likes trashing other people.. do you care)? The cover has to catch my eye, the summary has to get me interested.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect (ex, characterization, style, plot, ending, idea) outweigh s[...] in all the other areas? I have to like the whole thing to consider it good. I don't want to read a great adventure with lousy characters, and I don't want to read about amazing characters in a blah plot.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? (Elaborate, please? @_@) I like things to be well-written, have something to grab you and pull you in, and the characters have to develop and react. And I don't want things to be too predictable.

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of? Mostly I have to read a couple chapters to decide if I like it or not, and usually I will read the whole book, so that I can honestly say I read it.

Is there anything in a review/synopsis that automatically makes you want to try/never want to try a novel? If the synopses seems to just tell you about the characters, I probably won't read the book, and if it seems to generic, I will not read it either. It simply has to grab me before I open to the first page.

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it? Favorite fiction genre? Or do you mean favorite genre? I like fiction, and sci-fi, but I will read anything that catches my eye.

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to? Only if asked.

All of the above. ^^

Not really. It's not as though everyone cares if Walt Disney was a nazi. I only read a book for enjoyment.

IMO, books that are evenly balanced are usually pretty good.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures,

writing styles, or settings? (Elaborate, please? @_@)

I usually hate characters that worry too much, are Mary/Gary Stu's. Now, I don't like plots that are about things I usually hear a lot about, such as: Vampires, and get twisted to the point that they aren't vampires anymore.

I usually do some research and look for a lot of reviews before picking up a book. And usually when I'm reading a book I don't like, I usually just drop it after a few chapters.

Occasionally when I see in a lot of reviews that the plot is dry, the main character is a Mary Stu, I usually don't read it.

I usually read fantasy. I occasionally pick up a book other than fantasy, but that's rare event.

I'm an avid reader, so people usually ask me what books they should read. I usually just ask them a few questions about what their favorite genre, and just suggest a book.

Edited by Adoxy

Why do you read?Reading is like breathing to me. When I was in elementary I walked to school from my house. Once (okay, like a few times) I was so engrossed in reading that I ended up walking past my house, by a few miles, and had to find a place to call my mom.

Do the non-content things matter to you? I'm a total sucker for a good cover and title. If I'm still undecided, I'll usually go to the insert. One thing that will usually sway me, is if it has been reviewed by an author I like/ dislike.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect (ex, characterization, style, plot, ending, idea) outweigh s[...] in all the other areas? I usually think of a book, or series as a whole, although too many pop-culture references, in an old timey book, really pulls me out of a story.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? I absolutely love when the main character is this pillar of purity and strength, the complete good guy...but I also love when the uncorruptable are completely corrupted >.>

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of? I have never ever stopped reading a book I've started. I usually get caught up in the story, so much that I dont blame the writer for a bad story. For an example, the Twilight series. When I read it I loved it. Then I started hearing things about it, and I started thinking.. Hmm, ya it is weird that bella should be the main character of anything...or Hmm, sparkly is pretty stupid for a vampire. When I reread it, I was supremely disappointed, lol.

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it? I really like horror, and dark fantasy. I don't read books that are only romance, or only mystery. Those are good elements... but Its like eating a cake made entirely of frosting to read pure. I especially like horror, when it starts out innocuous, then mischievous... and then all of a sudden turns into evil madness. ( i.e. Bently Little)

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to? I try not to recommend books to people, because I usually cant stop myself from talking it to death.

Bonus question: Have you ever wondered this about other people's preferences too? :'P This question usually comes up after the "Whats your name", and "What do you think of the weather" questions, lol!

Why do you read?

Same reason I breathe, it's absolutely essential to living. (Okay, slight exaggeration. There's no one reason, I read because I must.)

Do the non-content things matter to you?

When it comes to title/cover, not really. I've learned a fantastically horrible book can come in a pretty name and cover, while something great can come with a poor title/cover.

However, I do judge based on summaries/blubs- the entire reason they exist is to make you want to read the book, so I'm not going to invest my time and possibly money into something that can't even pick a few interesting paragraphs, or can't make the book seem worth reading.

Authors themselves... depends. I would be wary of something written by some blatant racist/homophobe/whatever, simply because it might leak into the book and kill the story. Usually, though I never lean this sot of thing until after I've read (or not read) the book x3.

Judge as a whole, one little flower isn't going to cover the stink from everything else. The only minor exception is if things got to a slow start. If it's only one chapter and things pick up speed for the rest of it, I don't mind. But if there's bad writing, I will not stick around for good characters. The plot can be mindblowingly original and new, but I won't stick with it if the characters are all flatter than a micron-thin sheet of paper.

Cliche-as-hell setting that is done badly; boring invincible sociopathic hero who rarely gets called out on his censorkip.gif and is practically worshiped by everyone else; a plot that's riddled with holes the size of Canada and easier to predict than a Valve game having a delay; censorkip.gifcensorkip.gif*** Norse/German/whatever that's being passed off as a 'language' (Tolkien had a few bloody degrees in language. From Oxford. He knew what he was doing.); the whole 'I love you but I cannot be with you until it no longer causes plot tension' romance thing; purple prose out the wazu; chosen ones; 'Luke I am your father' moments; and various other things will cause me to throw a book down in sheer disgust.

Yep. As mentioned above, the entire reason synopses exist is to give a person an idea of what the book is like. However, I reserve full judgment for after I read a little bit into it, this can be anywhere from a few pages to a chapter, depending on how much I can stomach (for example, I got halfway through Eragon before I couldn't take any more and knew it could not be redeemed, it only took a few pages of The Host to reach that same conclusion).

'Forbidden romance', 'chosen one', an endorsement from Stephanie Meyer, lack of anything that seems remotely interesting.

No, not really. I've slowly found that sci-fi holds most of what I love, but I'll take anything if it's interesting.

If someone has similar interests to me, or the book is just that good, I will recommend to them. Otherwise, I might just gush and say 'if you ever want to give it a shot, let me know what you think'.

Bonus question: Have you ever wondered this about other people's preferences too? :'P

One way of making or breaking a friendship with me is literary tastes, so I think that's a yes.

Edited by Dr. Paine

Ooo, this is a subject that interests me greatly. As a writer and editor, of course I tend to have a very practical interest in what gets people to read - or not read - certain things. And as a reader... well, curiosity makes me very interested in the reading habits and tastes of others, and what makes them tick. :D

All of the above? Honestly, it's hard for me to not be reading. From the time I was quite young, my parents discovered that one of the most effective ways to punish me when I misbehaved was to take away my books. XD I like what C.S. Lewis said in his Experiment in Criticism (an awesome book, by the way - somewhat thick read, but very thought-provoking about the way different people read, and what exactly makes a good book):

"Those of us who have been true readers all our life seldom fully realize the enormous extension of our being which we owe to authors. We realize it best when we talk with an unliterary friend. He may be full of goodness and good sense but he inhabits a tiny world. In it, we should be suffocated. The man who is contented to be only himself, and therefore less a self, is in prison. My own eyes are not enough for me, I will see through those of others. Reality, even seen through the eyes of many, is not enough. I will see what others have invented. Even the eyes of all humanity are not enough."

It depends. Sometimes non-content things end up affecting content-related things.

For instance, knowing certain things about an author may make me more likely to be wary of, or trust, where they're going with something - and thus, more likely to quit if I'm not liking the way things are going, or stick with it and trust that the end result'll be good.

As far as the physical book itself (appearance, summary, etc.) - sometimes yes, sometimes no. It's very unlikely that it'll stop me from reading something I expect to like (one recommended by a trusted friend, for instance), and I know a lot of books I absolutely love that are far better than the outside, or summaries, would suggest. So I tend to give a fair amount of leeway for that sort of thing.

On the other hand, if I am just looking around a bookstore randomly, hoping something'll catch my interest... I quite frequently wind up giving up because it all winds up looking so cliche, and just waiting for a friend's recommendation. This is most particularly with fantasy/scifi books - which I love, but am very unlikely to pick up just because it looked interesting. I get too frustrated with bad ones. XP (An exception there being books like Star Trek novels, which I enjoy occasionally but don't go into expecting anything more than fairly decent characterization and some light entertainment.)

Oh yes, a single aspect can definitely outweigh other drawbacks for me!

There are books that I absolutely adore, even recognizing that the writing is not very good, just because the characters and/or story are good enough to make me love them anyway. And there are books that I enjoy immensely because the author's skill and style is such that it can be delicious, regardless of the fact that the characters, plot, or subject matter would normally hold no real interest for me.

And then there are those few books where the writing's not great, characterization isn't that great, storyline is not very realistic/believable... but I have like them anyway, because something about the idea, or certain of the details, just catches my imagination.

I may be an editor, and capable of being immensely nit-picky, but sometimes... it just doesn't matter.

Oooo, yes.

Books set in World War II, for instance. I have read/been made to read so many that I am absolutely sick of them, and merely the fact that a book is set during that timeframe tends to be enough to make me lose interest immediately.

And Mary Sues, or just female characters so out to prove themselves, where everything has to be "It's because I'm a woman, isn't it?" - rather than just being competent... Yeah, I get really tired of it.

Oh yeah. And I'm really tired of hearing about vampires right now. XP

But y'know, even with things that'd normally turn me off a book - see above. Other elements can outweigh that, and a recommendation from a friend's in many cases enough to get me to try it anyway.

Once I start a book, I generally hate quitting partway through without good reason. But some... I just can not get into. So it'll vary a lot, at what point I might decide something's not for me.

But yes, I most certainly can decide that I dislike something without reading it. Voracious as my reading is (I have been known to happily read 14 good-sized books within a 10-day vacation), my time is still limited. For some things, a synopsis, review, or comment from a friend is enough to make me decide that I will never like that, not likely to even try it, ever.

Mm, yes, there are a number of things that'll get an auto-no from me. Some for moral grounds, some because I know it'll mess me up emotionally because of associations with past experiences, some just for personal taste.

An auto-yes in a review/synopsis, unless it's from a friend, is considerably more difficult. Comparisons to other books I do like will not do it for me. I get sick and tired of them, and usually the comparisons are wildly, ridiculously inaccurate anyway. (At least the "professional" ones that get printed on books - fan comparisons tend to be much more helpful.)

I love fantasy/science fiction (the two often tend to overlap). Many of my favorite books tend to fall into one of those genres. :3 One reason I tend to love it so much is just the sheer possibilities. It allows for the exploration of concepts, or the illustration of ideas, with so much more flexibility than stories that're strictly tied to the real world.

Reading widely outside it? Oh yes, definitely. In fact, I'd say I'm probably more likely to just pick up and try a book outside that genre, because I'm less picky outside it. A fair proportion of my non-fantasy/scifi reading tends to be nonfiction, particularly books about writing, editing, or grammar/language generally.

Both! There are a few books that I just think are so generally awesome that I'll tend to recommend them to anyone who might possibly read it. And even people who hate reading generally. *g* But mostly, I do try to get a good feel for someone's general interests, likes/dislikes, before deciding which books to recommend to them. ^.^

-Entertainment

-The art/design on the cover tends to sway my opinion in one way or the other. The title it what I really look at though. It must have some relevance to the story, and not so long I can't say it in one breath

-I think if the overall plot, characters, and lead up to the climax are good then it could outweigh a bad ending.

-I hate "state the obvious" writing. Over use of adjectives erases space for creativity and downgrades my opinion of the book. I also hate obsessive romance books (cough cough twilight) If another character gets overly obsessed with another character it makes me like the book less. Not enough surprises in romance novels.

-A good writer knows how to make the bad guys seem justified in their actions. When writing from the villains perspective they always tend to seem just horrible.

-I don't rely on reviews. They are just a personal opinions, and that is someone else. If I don't have interest by about one third of the book I tend to forget about it.

-(read above paragraph)

-Fantasy and horror. Fantasy because it is a new world to "enter" other than our own. You can twist fantasy in many different ways. It's not all just unicorns and magic fountains. Horror is similar.

-I really never recommend books anymore. I really think people shouldn't be dependent on others for their book choices.

Mostly because I like to read, sometimes because I want to escape my own life and sometimes becasue I want inspiration to maybe a drawing or something like that (in other words, because I want to get ideas).

If the title makes me interested, then I'm caught for sure. But that's the only thing that matters to me, I don't care too much about what the book looks like.

I think that I use to judge a book as a whole, at least most of the times.

It depends on what kind of story it is. I'm don't like storys that's about a normal persons life, that's boring, lol. I'm more into adventures. And then I really like when the author write from many different persons view of everything that happens since I like to "know" all the persons in a story and not only the central character.

If it's a book I like I can decide that within the first twenty pages (at least somewhere around that), but sometimes it takes a bit more pages than that to make me like the book. And I can dislike a book even though I haven't read it, sometimes I just need to hear about it to make my decision whether I like it or not. A good example of that is Twilight. I've never opened that book before and I'll never do so either.

I don't use to go by the review of a book to decide if I want to read it or not, I use to read the first few pages in a book I never read before and decide from those if I should read the whole thing or not. I don't trust reviews too much...

Fantasy and horror. I like fantasy because I like things that isn't "normal", I like to read about things that we don't have in our own world... And because I like to "fly away" to another place where nothing is like it's here... And horror I like because I really love when a book makes me so scared that I can't put it down until I've read it all. I can't watch scary movies, so that's probably why I read it instead, even though it might be even worse than to watch a scary movie.

It was years ago I recommend a book to someone... And I won't start recommend books again.

I read for the love of it. Sometimes I have nothing else to do, but reading has really improved my grades and writing skills. I write better than my uncle now. I can't believe I used to hate reading when I was little.

I ignore the cover art, but to me, the title means a lot. Good title=Good author. The summary is important too. I don't really pay attention to the author's activities, though. Not unless I really love the book.

I judge books in pieces. For example, in The Hollow Bettle, #1 in The Poisons of Caux, is overly description and, at times, downright boring, but the plot is intense, original, and amazing.

I hate the perfect character. Good looks, perfect actions, etc. Everyone makes mistakes! Some authors don't realize that. sleep.gif

I usually read reviews. If there's just one review of a book, I read the summary. Summary as in facts. What happened in the book, not someone's opinion. Some plots are better than others, and I judge the plot often from the summary or review.

I hate fairy tales and books about completely unrealistic stuff. I don't usually judge the book by a review; after all, it's just one person's opinion. I have a mind that I can use myself.

I LOVE science-fiction. At least, the good books. I read all genres, from fantasy to reality, and I love most of it. But science-fiction is one of my favorites because there are so many amazing ideas, and I love knowing that what's fantasy in the book might someday become reality.

I recommend any book I love. I'm not going to go digging among thousands of novels to find one that suits my friend. If they don't like my recommendation, they don't have to read it.

Edited by ab613

I read for escape and because I love to learn other's worlds of imagination. I like series until it becomes to repitious and predictable.

Some of those things make a difference. I can get drawn in by a great cover or blurb. Most of the time, I don't read the author bio until I am into the book.

Usually, I judge the book as a whole, but its appeal will be heightened by great characterization or plot. A bad ending can turn me off or make me leary of the author's other works.

I like characters who seem to me to be real full dimensional and human rather than all good, bad or something else. Unpredictable is good to an extent. I don't like extremely wordy descriptive styles. I do like the author to be able to paint a verbal picture of the story.

I can dislike a book I have never finished. I can dislike the idea of a novel. James Patterson writes some horrible edgy books that are based on super twisted people. They don't appeal to me. I am not a fan of most horror fiction or blow by blow campaign strategy of war books Romances that are too by a formula and characters are not realistic but plastic won't hold my interest, especially if I can find another book to read.

Not really unless it is a creepy bloody, horror story. I tend to like books by an author, but not all pass. I don't normally care for Stephen King's works but have read a few I have enjoyed such as The Dead Zone.

cc

I love fantasy/sci-fi, mysteries and suspense. I do read outside these three. If the blurb on the cover draws me in, I'll try it.

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to

I reccomend books I love and books I think someone would like if I know that person's tastes.

Bonus question: Have you ever wondered this about other people's preferences too? :'P Yes, frequently. I especially wonder when they extol the virtues of a book I feel should never have been written.

~Entirely for enjoyment and escape.

~Cover and title can have an influence on whether I pick up a book in the first place. If the title is exceptionally uncreative or sounds silly when you say it out loud, that often turns me off of wanting to read it. Blurbs are also important in helping me decide if I want to read something. If the plot doesn't sound interesting in the blurb, oftentimes I will not bother.

~I would say the opposite is true for me--if I read a book and it's good with many things but has an ending I hate, I will likely hate the book forever because the ending is kind of the most important part of the book.

~I really love when a villain turns into a hero (for real, not in order to betray the actual heroes). I like my protagonists to be actual decent people who I can root for without a guilty conscience. In high fantasy, I like the kind of world-building where you get to discover the fantasy world along with one of the characters--where the author shows you by what happens what the world is like, rather than telling you boring-lecture style.

~There are some things that will prompt me to put down a book and never look at it again, like if the author makes frequent crude (particularly sexual) jokes or describes the act of sex in detail. I generally read reviews on GoodReads or Amazon of books I'm thinking about reading, and I have been known to dislike a book on principle if by its plot summary it seems to advocate something I abhor.

~Excessive description turns me off. So do excessive grammar errors. Endorsements from or comparisons to my favorite authors make me see a book more positively

~Easily my favorite genre is fantasy (both high fantasy and urban fantasy). Other than that, I also read dystopia and scifi but in smaller quantities.

~I recommend different books to different people depending on what I think they will like. Some of my favorite books I will not recommend to my mom because she is not as into vampires as I am or because they are very violent or dark and she prefers happier books.

Why do you read? Enjoyment, escape, ideas, improving something in yourself, nothing better to do? Enjoyment smile.gif

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements (ex, the author is a homophobe or a rabid [insert political group] or likes trashing other people.. do you care)? I usually don't know who the writers are and what history they have, but the cover can sometimes catch my attention, the title can intrigue me to give the book a chance, and summaries usually make me check out what it could be about just to see if I'd like to start reading or not.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect (ex, characterization, style, plot, ending, idea) outweigh s[...] in all the other areas? Well, yes. Writing style and the general plot is what matters to me the most, but other things matter too.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? (Elaborate, please? @_@) I don't like characters who are prone to hesitating about what they feel or want, who seem emotionless and so on because they can be rather boring to me. Also I'm so tired of "the chosen one" and "hopelessly romantic" plots because I think there have been more than enough of those. Writing styles with poor comparisons and descriptions are rather disappointing, and also the kind of style that seems like it's been written just for the sake of writing without putting in any special effort whatsoever.

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of? I can dislike the idea or not have the will to read it, but I will never praise/criticize anything that I'm unfamiliar with or what I didn't read.

Is there anything in a review/synopsis that automatically makes you want to try/never want to try a novel? Hard to explain, but both yes and no. The summary usually intrigues me / repulses me and I can judge on the base of that, but reviews don't have a specific influence on me since I can only see good reviews most of the time, and besides, good and bad are relative things. What could be good to you could be pathetic to me and so on.

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it? Not really, I like reading different genres just for the sake of always having something new and exciting to discover. smile.gif

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to? Aside from "Harry Potter" and Tolkien's books (which are read with passion all over the world), nothing that I like in particular to recommend to anyone. tongue.gif

---Mostly for enjoyment and escape. Occasionally to get ideas/inspirations or research for projects, and sometimes for improvement...

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements

----The artwork on the cover doesn't matter to me as much as the summary, and blurbs, though occasionally the author's outside affiliations matter. It depends on the topic of the book.

----I judge books as a whole normally however, there are times when I am reading that characterization and style outweigh everything else.

---I hate too much detail. Give enough detail that I can paint a picture in my mind, but not so much that by the time you get to the next point, I'm bored. I hate formulaic writing (happens in a lot of romances), or books with minimal character development.

---It depends really. Some books I've liked until the middle, and others I've decided I don't want to waste my time on within the first three pages. I can dislike a novel that I've seen synopses of, but usually I need to thumb through the book at least to make a decision.

---Not really. Though if I am already turned off to an author, it's unlikely I will read any more of their books regardless of how good it is supposed to be.

---I like well-written historical fiction and GOOD romance. Mysteries are also something I enjoy.

---Sometimes. Not very often.

Why do you read?

For enjoyment. To know a good story and learn new things and ideas.

Do the non-content things matter to you?

Not really. Only as they affect the content of a book. Sometimes the cover of a book annoys me. And personally, I don't like having the author's name bigger on the book than the title. It can make it difficult when you're trying to find a particular book on a shelf and all you can see it the author's name blazing across the cover and binding.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect outweigh in all the other areas?

Mostly as a whole? I don't analyze why I like certain books too much. There are certain things that will ruin an otherwise well written and incredibly interesting book for me. Foul language, for example. Sad endings. I hate sad endings.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings?

My favorite characters are the 'best friends'. If there is something about the main character that makes me not like them as much then my favorite always is the best friend. The guy who sticks by them through thick and thin, calls them and idiot when they are acting like one, but when all else fails is ready to be there and give aid, or a kind word, or whatever is needed.

As for don't like I would have to say love at first sight. The 'Oh my, that guy is sooo cute, I have a crush on him like nothing else..." is silly and shallow. I'm not going to read it and if I get suckered into a book not knowing till too late I'm not going to like it.

How quickly within a book do you make a decision?

A review or synopses may keep me from reading a book, but I try not to be judgmental to other people about a book I've never even cracked the cover of. Once I start the book I usually try to finish and not make any lasting decisions until I do. I hate leaving books unread, even if I don't like them. Truthfully by halfway the author should have me fully interested and decisions are mostly made.

Usually it is simply if it sounds interesting or boring. If they are apparently going to dis a fundamental belief of mine in the book then I don't want to know what's in it.

Historical fiction is my favorite. Especially the kind where you can actually learn some history from it. Not so much names and dates, but culture, attitudes, and styles of the time. I also love fantasy and sci-fi. (Who wouldn't want to read about dragons, and elves, and unicorns? And, umm, physicist.) I read anything I can within those three, and nothing much outside, fiction-wise.

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone?

I try to recommend books when I think someone might be interested in them. And occasionally when they might not be. I love books and it is great to discuss them, but if no one else has read them, how can you? I successfully got two of my siblings to like an author as much as I do. It was amusing when we read a series together and discussed it at dinner. The other half of the family was like "?????". (Timothy Zahn. Everyone should read his books! (Waves had subtly.))

I love beautiful descriptions and interesting real characters. A story doesn't even need both. Like there are plenty of novels that rely on the characters and they're wonderful because everyone relates to and cares for the characters. But then there's those stories that just swoop you away to another environment with just extraordinary descriptions.

Since I work as an editor and designer in a publishing press, sometimes the book format bothers me. Like if it's in a font I don't like or if they just make some stupid editing choices, it frustrates me. But as long as the book isn't written in comic sands, I will be pretty happy.

oooOOOoooh also I always love Vladimir Nabikov and Edgar Allen Poe for their gorgeous descriptions. And I adore Ray Bradbury and Ursula LeGuin for their fabulous characters and worldly developments.

Just reading aahhh!

I guess I didn't really answer all the questions....... but hopefully this huge long ramble made sense happy.gif