kadoatie

What makes you like/hate a novel?

As title says.

So - how do you judge a book? Some questions to start off with, I suppose:

ah a huge block of text :V

Why do you read? Enjoyment, escape, ideas, improving something in yourself, nothing better to do?

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements (ex, the author is a homophobe or a rabid [insert political group] or likes trashing other people.. do you care)?

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect (ex, characterization, style, plot, ending, idea) outweigh s[...] in all the other areas?

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? (Elaborate, please? @_@)

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of?

Is there anything in a review/synopsis that automatically makes you want to try/never want to try a novel?

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it?

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to?

There are threads about individual books you hate/like, so please, answer in general? This is NOT a question

Thank you for indulging my curiosity <3

Bonus question: Have you ever wondered this about other people's preferences too? :'P

Edited by kadoatie

Why do you read? Enjoyment, escape, ideas, improving something in yourself, nothing better to do?

Enjoyment mostly.

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements?

Some. And usually with the cover thing, it only bothers me if the cover is so bad it makes me cringe. Also, there was one cover where it blatantly used cover art from an unrelated book, that automatically makes me think "cheap knock-off" and puts me off the book.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect (ex, characterization, style, plot, ending, idea) outweigh s[...] in all the other areas?

It depends on the book. For example, the ending on Tailchaser's Song is not the greatest, but the rest of the book is so great(to me at least), that it outweighs the ending.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? (Elaborate, please? @_@)

Vampires in modern settings, which for some reason just irks me. I mean, what is wrong with the old medieval setting? It seems almost rare to find a good vampire book that is not set in modern times.

As for characters I like, I like a variety, when one certain theme among characters pops up too often it starts to become a little irritating.

Also, the trend to make it hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys is too much in some books. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that everything needs to be black and white, but some books have taken it too far in my opinion. For example, in general I like A Song of Ice and Fire, but the fact that there is not a single character that I can truly feel good about backing is somewhat disturbing to me.

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of?

Generally if I have no interest in it by the half way point, I am unlikely to gain any more interest in it. As for reviews, I don't read them, so I can't say on that.

Is there anything in a review/synopsis that automatically makes you want to try/never want to try a novel?

I rarely read reviews to be honest, I want to go into a book unbiased by others opinions.

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it?

Fantasy, I just like it, it is hard to explain. No, I do not read much outside of it.

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to?

I rarely recommend books to others. I always worry that they won't like it and/or trash a book I love to my face.

Edited by Nectaris

Why do you read? Escapism

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements? It matters only as in indication of what I am likely to find on the inside. Really bad titles will enusre I don't even pick up the book to check. A beautiful peice of art lets me know that the author knows the worth of their book. This new trend in photoshoped pictures as covers just makes an unfortunate statement. The back cover is a very good indicator of content. If I am still uncertain, I crack open the book and read the first paragraph. That's how long authors have to get me hooked.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect (ex, characterization, style, plot, ending, idea) outweigh s[...] in all the other areas? Only for so long. If the prblems are consistent and I'm only reading it for one small aspect, I eventually give up on it.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? (Elaborate, please? @_@) My prefered genre is fantasy. I like a completely made up world with made up customs, and ideas, and persepectives, and histories. Fantasy lends itself well to books on political manouverings, which drives me crazy. Where sometimes each chapter is from a different character's perspective as they move themselves into a position of power in the realm without knowing when you'll be able to get back to the charcter you really liked. I think the characters I like the least are weak and easily munipulatable or cowed into a direction they would not have chosen for themselves. I like compelling charasmatic characters...wow, say that five times! laugh.gif

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? Usually one paragraph, sometimes the whole first page. I've learned my lesson. If I don't like it by then, I won't.

Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of? No, I do not dislike them, just not interested.

Is there anything in a review/synopsis that automatically makes you want to try/never want to try a novel? Hm. That's a good question, actually. What is that makes me put the books back on the shelf? -thinks- I don't know that I can put my finger on it. Too many names in the back cover synopsis is a bad sign, references to a previous story line is also bad.

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it? I read mostly fantasy and paranormal romance. I dabble in sci-fi, fiction, and mystery, along with the occasional children's book. Fantasy and paranormal romance are much the same thing, just one is guarenteed a happy ending. I like them because I am an escapist reader. I read to get away from reality. Magic and dragons and great sword fights are always good. The tales of going forth through darkness with the intent of fighting for something better is very appealling.

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to? I make recomendations based on a person's interest. I have read enough that I can make fairly good suggestions based on what people have read and liked. Though, of course, if I see a chance to make someone read one of my favorites, I pounce on the opportunity! laugh.gif

You just had to request elaboration at one point... wink.gif Wall of text, go!

Enjoyment, escapism, and as an aspiring writer, generally just learning how to write by viewing, if you will.

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements (ex, the author is a homophobe or a rabid [insert political group] or likes trashing other people.. do you care)?

Not particularly; the only thing that matters to me as non-content goes is that the book be in good condition and easy to read as text size and page color goes. If the font is tiny/crammed or the pages too yellow to comfortably read on, I'll pass until I find a better copy. The writer's personal affiliations mean little to me as well so long as it doesn't bleed over into the book.

I generally take them as a whole; it seems pointless to do it otherwise. Rather like putting together one corner of a puzzle and calling it done. I might note where it was particularly outstanding to me but the whole package will be judged in turn.

Characters I like: well rounded ones; I like them believable, understandable and ones I can empathize with. That generally includes the antagonists as well.

Characters I dislike: Perfect characters and poorly developed antagonists who plainly exist just to be the necessary conflict.

Plots I like/dislike: I like pretty much anything. I like social-political intrigue, adventure, -well not so fond of romance but it has its place in a plot usually.

Writing style I dislike: Only one to list, and then only in a certain variation- over-abused omnipresent third person. I don't need to know what every last character in a scene is thinking. I like it when it's used properly, but some writers use it as a crutch to try to cover a weak story with details.

Settings: I'm good with whatever the author feels like using; the only time setting bothers me is when they've got a clear mismatch. (IE: Someone using cowboy speech in a Medieval Europe style setting or the like.)

Usually I try to finish the book before I say for certain what my opinion is. However, if it's just that badly written I can't even get through the book, that says everything I need to know.

I don't bother with people's reviews or synopses before I read a book, so no. I might follow advice from a friend who knows my tastes but that only goes for recommended reading, not evasion.

Not in the least; as said, I don't take the word of strangers for such things. A friend's recommendation can inspire me to try one I may have missed/ignored- that's about it.

My favorite would be anthropological fiction (fantasy or science fiction setting), but as that's a pretty rare one to find books devoted to specifically, I kind of have to read outside it. wink.gif I don't often wander outside of the many flavors of fantasy and scifi, however. If I'm going on a mental trip via a book, I tend to like to go very far from home.

I recommend books I think will suit the other party's taste, usually. Some like sugar in their tea, some like lemon or honey- best to serve up what they prefer unless they specifically ask for 'something different'.

Edited by Kyrieath

Enjoyment

The cover does matter to me, yes.

I judje is as a whole.

Im not a big fan of "I" form, but its okey if its written in a right way.

I cant dislike a novel only because other people dislike it. I find out pretty quickly if I like a novel or not.

If people says that they hate/love a novel very much, I want to read it too see if it is that good/bad.

I like all kinds of genre, but Im a big fan of fantasy, especially dragon books.

Both. But I wouldn't recommend a fantasy book for someone who hates fantasy.

Enjoyment and to escape

Cover and summary

Judge as a whole

I like believable characters that are well developed and thought out.

I don't like a lot of details but enough to know whats going on.

I decide if i like it and will finish within 10 pages or so.

I can't dislike a novel because others dislike it.

If people hate it because of (...) ill read it just to see what its like and to see if i like it.

Scifi and fantasy. I dont know why.

I do sometimes. mostly for school.

I recommend most books i like. Regardless of what the other person likes.

Enjoyment and escape by a landslide.

Yessss an eye-catching title or cover art gets my attention and a good summary makes me want to read it. I don't care about formatting and usually don't even bother reading about the author xd.png I don't think I've ever seen an author bio with personal stuff like that though. Mostly it's "X lives in Y with family/alone/pets, went to Z school and has been writing for A years blah".

I'll judge a book/series as a whole, and tolerate **** in suchandsuch if the content is soandso is really good. If it's a super-cliche plot I'm not in the way of reading but has a character I really love and am rooting for, I'll stick around.

I hate the characters that are actually or eventually good guys but start out as dicks. Can't stand them, love when they get theirs. I am a total sucker for details and imagery, my friend that I proof for is so like a minimalist it drives me nuts. I don't think I'm too picky on anything else though.

I'm really weird here because I can't sit and look at a new book and judge it fairly. It's new and shiny and it caught my attention for a reason and I'm gonna devour it. I don't get around to any opinion other than "must keep reading" until I'm done. xd.png

I think I can be disinterested in a novel I've never read but that got bad reviews, but I don't say anything definite until I've read it.

I don't think so, or at least I haven't run into it yet. /underexposed

Fantasy times a million. Mythology and mysticism and I just love fantasy. And I don't read nearly enough, so not including textbooks, nah. :<

No. I'm horribly under-read so am usually the one asking for recommendations. But if on the off chance someone does ask me, I ask what books they like and see if I know anything similar they might like.

There are threads about individual books you hate/like, so please, answer in general?

I has done mah besteses.

Thank you for indulging my curiosity <3

You're welcome. biggrin.gif

Edited by NixAyum

I enjoy losing myself in stories of things away from where I am now. If I cannot travel, I will just pretend I am wherever the story is taking place in! I'm also a daydreamer and sometimes these stories give me daydream fuel. :)

I tend to read general summaries on the back of the book or the inside flaps to tell if I think something would sound interesting or not. "She was just a normal teen girl in high school but then she met the boy of her dreams!!!!" No, no thanks.

If a book has some overly prejudiced tones, I wouldn't be able to stand it. There's some things that can stand, such as the whole 'humans vs mutants' things in X-Men for example, but they are made up... And if it's something that must be shown at any given moment, I'd be unable to stand it. Not if it isn't some "Racists get their payback!" type of thing. I just don't tolerate that.

The plot is usually what hooks me into reading something. If it's also a great way of writing, the characters are good, etc etc, then it just makes it all so much better to me. However, if the writing style is horrid and the characters are pretty much bland and...well, characterless (AHEMHEMTWILIGHTAHEMHURM) Then it just completely overthrows everything and the reading becomes less of an enjoyment and more of a chore.

I hate the useless, frail types of girl characters. "Oh noes! Whatever do I do? Help me, my brave hero!" Pfft. Grow a pair, woman. Then, of course, there's also the "Everyone is wrong but me!" type of character, pretty obvious what they're like.... and the "Oh stop worrying and acting like a spaz, of course there's nothing wrong!" meat puppet that I just wait to see die.

I'm not one for realism, honestly. I read to lose myself from the world around me and the more far-out-there the world/plot is, the more I like it. But, it can also work in another way... Like, it's something far out there, but the sense of things makes it seems like it can actually happen. I'll say Stephen King is one to use that sort of way of writing.

Well, since the plot is the hook, if it isn't right to me then it just isn't right. I admit, there's been times that I was wrong about a book, whether I first thought it'd be good or I thought it'd be horrible and changed my mind, but I usually try to get past a few pages before deciding to keep it up or ditch it. If there's about nine out of ten reviews stating that the book sucks because of poor writing skills, though, chances are I'll just open to random pages in a store/library before deciding to ditch it. Most of the time ditching it.

As I said above... If a review says that the writing itself is poor, chances are I'll be more likely not to read it. Otherwise, I try not to be too biased by the opinions of others...

I usually stick to horror and suspense, it seems like. Christopher Pike and Stephen King take up most of my reading time. But yes, I do also read a lot of just purely fantasy stuff, some animal-based books, I've read one or two books about something educational (gasp!), and I suppose 'classics' can be one of the other genres I stick to. :D Moby Dick, Frankenstein, Divine Comedy, etc...

Wieland by Charles Brockden Brown. Classic, gothic, horror/suspense and pretty confusing. Everything that I love about a book, I recommend that to everyone who asks me about something. Otherwise, I can usually have a good judgment of what books that I have read that another may like. I can probably come up with a book that I've liked for the tastes of every one of my different friends.

There are threads about individual books you hate/like, so please, answer in general?

Threads on here? Can't say I browse through the books section too much, but anything of "Anything vs Twilight" will probably have a good quip from me. :P

Why do you read?

For the escapism mostly; I adore books that make me feel right there with the characters. Sometimes I do read for ideas though.

Do the non-content things matter to you?

Not really. As the saying goes "Don't judge a book by its cover."

I have a scale of Awesome - Great - Good - Eh - Suck. Awesome is everything fits together in an ultimately amazing way that blew my mind. Great has a few things wrong with it but it's still a good read. Good has a lot more things wrong with it and will be read a little less than the others. Eh is a few more things wrong and will probably end up shuttled off to a used bookstore. Suck has everything in the world wrong and has the potential to be burned before it ever makes it to a used store.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings?

Characters and Personalities (yes, one category): Besides Mary-Sues and Gary-Stus? No, not really. Characters and their personalities should follow the same guidelines as people - they're all different and there's at least a few bad apples, *******s, etc, in the bunch.

I can even stomach Sues/Stus in small controlled doses if those character traits are part of a larger whole that is an awesomely put together character. So long as they're not the traits that make me want to stab people in the eyes.

Plots: Other than hurling me off a cliff at 90mph like that with an anvil in my hands à la Wile E. Coyote, no, I have no issues with plots.

However, if you have been trailing me along on this Super-Mega-Awesome! journey through six books and you come out with a seventh that farts all over it and makes me go WTF? a lot, we have a problem.

Adventures: Kinda goes along the same with Plots. Make it make sense and I'll be right there along with you.

Writing Styles: Flowery. Purple prose. Older books.

I can tear through something written by Jim Butcher that's full of snark in 3-5 hours and I have come to adore the simplistic style of Glen Cook's Black Company books.

In terms of older: Shakespeare, for example, is easy if reference heavy. Tolkien, on the other hand, is ridiculously hard at points since there is so. Much. Stuff. (ie: beginning of Fellowship or Simarillion)

Settings: I hate reading normal generally (I live in normal, I want abnormal). Sometimes something set in the real world will get me with an interesting plot but most times I want something with a fantasy/supernatural/scifi twist. Or a full-on world of the previous trio.

I always test-read the first five pages of a book before I buy it. My idea is that if you haven't caught me by then, you're not going to. Every book I've actually had a hand in buying on my shelf, has either caught me in that limit or is a sequel to one that has.

Yes, I can. Prime example: Twilight. I also put it through my five-page test via Amazon's online sample...it didn't pass.

If it sounds stupid. I hold up my opinion of Twilight as best (and only actually) example.

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite?

Fantasy because I love the escapism.

Do you read widely outside it?

Some supernatural, urban fantasy/supernatural/scifi, and a handful of science fiction. Not much actual realism - my books based in reality could barely fill a shoebox.

I generally try to recommend books to people I think would enjoy them. Example: my roommate probably wouldn't like The Dresden Files but I think she would love Codex Alera.

Here? I've skimmed the few Pern threads, some of the HP, made a few of my own to promote some of my own favs/see if anyone else read them, etc.

I do enjoy reading the Twilight vs HP threads for amusement.

Have you ever wondered this about other people's preferences too? :'P

Not really. xd.png Most times I find out peoples preferences is when we get to talking books on a whim.

Edited by terioncalling

Why do you read? Enjoyment, escape.

Do the non-content things matter to you? A cool cover and title draw my attention first, but don't matter at all afterwards. Nothing else matters to me.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect (ex, characterization, style, plot, ending, idea) outweigh s[...] in all the other areas? I usually judge it as a whole, but some scenes in some books can greatly influence it.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? (Elaborate, please? @_@) I can't stand characters that always get their way no matter the situation. Lucky breaks I'm fine with, but not every single time. I also like writing that has its own feel to it, I guess. It's hard to explain, but similar to The Wheel of Time and Inheritance Cycle, like you can actually feel like your part of that time.

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of? I can, but it almost always takes a bad first couple chapters to turn me away from it.

Is there anything in a review/synopsis that automatically makes you want to try/never want to try a novel? Reviews don't influence me a lot, but a synopsis could.

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it? I covet fantasy and some sci-fi, and I'm open to others. I generally tend to stick to what I know, but I occasionally grab a random book from the library.

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to? I try to recommend people with what they are used to, but if I think the book is good enough I will recommend it to anybody, regardless of taste.

There are threads about individual books you hate/like, so please, answer in general? Not really.

Thank you for indulging my curiosity <3 You're welcome.

Bonus question: Have you ever wondered this about other people's preferences too? :'P I have, on occasion, but never really got around to asking.

Why do you read? I read because I love to read and because reading takes my mind of my head, so to speak. with reading, instead of being stuck at home or in school, I am in a different place, time, and lifestyle. That is why I read.

Do the non-content things matter to you? Sometimes if a book has an intriguing cover I will read it but otherwise I read what ever sounds good to me.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect outweigh s[...] in all the other areas? I love them as a whole and I can't see any other way of doing so.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? I don't like the kinds of charactors you can't understand. Like, when you are reading a book and something happens that makes a charactor react a certain way and it doesn't explain why they acted that way at all through the book. I hate that. I also don't like the happy-go-lucky charactors and settings. They are too unrealistic to me.

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? I usually make a decision within the first few chapters, although I have been proven wrong on several occasions.

Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of?No because nine times out of ten, I don't think or like the same things as those people, so I would rather just read the book and find out for myself.

Is there anything in a review/synopsis that automatically makes you want to try/never want to try a novel? Not usually.

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it? My favorite fiction genre are the ones that include vampires werewolves dragons and that sort of thing. I do read out side of it a lot, but I always read in that section.

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to? I try to recommend books to the person they are suited for. Its better and more satisfying when they read the book and like it a lot.

Basically all of the above smile.gif

I don't judge a book by it's cover/title. If the summary isn't good, then I'm not going to waste my time. I look at the summary for what the book is about as well as a sample of the writing style. If I don't like it, I won't read it.

I don't think the authors opinions will influence the writing quality. I might only read one or two books from an author who I'd probably physically attack in real life xd.png

As a whole. Good writing style wont make me read a book with a horrid plot.

Not really. I can't really describe the writing styles I hate...

A couple chapters in. Though, with really good books I loved, like The Outsiders or Interview with The Vampire, I can decide a few pages in.

I can't dislike a book I never read. Which is why I read Twilight and Warriors. xd.png

Not that I can think of...

Fantasy and uh... do Vampires and Werewolves have their own genre?

Both.

Me and my friend Megan have similar tastes in books smile.gif

Why do you read?

Enjoyment, fun from being bored, escape from the crazy place I live in that won't ever leave me alone, comparing who I know to who some characters are just for fun.

Do the non-content things matter to you?

No. As long as the book is good in my standard then I'm usually fine with whoever it is that is being talked about or in question. I still read a book even if I'm not fine with said person.

As a whole. Good books are good books.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings?

Not really. It's hard to explain but I like pretty much everything in the question in a good book.

A few chapters in unless it really grabs me.

Fantasy I absolutely love. Science Fiction I love also. Fiction is alright when I'm a little more busy and don't want to be pulled inside until I finish a chapter, all the while hearing my parents yell to put a book down. Non-Fiction I read occasionally, I used to read it nonstop when I was younger.

Yes. If I think it's good I recommend it for a try-out to get others to read 'outside the box' so to speak in their reading. If they don't like it, it was just a suggestion, no skin off my back.

Everything above, accept making myself better.

No.

Plot, characters, and idea.

I hate romances and mysteries of any type, but I love parodies, classics, fantasies, and Gothic novels.

Yeah...

Mainly only read dark fantasies that have no romance whatsoever, but wander out of that sometimes.

I don't recommend anything.

Bonus question: Have you ever wondered this about other people's preferences too? :'P

... No.

Enjoyment, escape

The cover matters a little to me

I judge the individual ascpects, and the book as a whole both, and refer to my mental notes when discussing the book.

I don't really like reading a first person point of view book

Usually I try to read a chapter or two, but there are exceptions. Some take longer, some don't take quite as long.

No. I decide myself, and don't pay attention to what others say most of the time.

Fantasy, Sci-fi.

Both. If they don't like the genre of book, I won't recomend it. If they do, I'll always give them my reviews. As such. Name of the Wind is my most favorite book in the world.

Edited by Crisis

Why do you read? A combination of enjoyment and nothing better to do. I really like to read, and if I'm bored I'll tend to read *anything* if I've not got my preferred kind of reading matiriel. This includes the back of cereal packets.

Do the non-content things matter to you? Not really. A title (in fiction anyway) is normally what'll grab my eyes, after that it's the blurb on the back that hooks me in. Non-fiction I read because the subject interests me.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect (ex, characterization, style, plot, ending, idea) outweigh s[...] in all the other areas? I've not noticed myself breaking books down to 'this is good but that is carp'. For me I either like it, or I don't. I find deconstucting things is a fast way to ruin the enjoyment of them.

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? (Elaborate, please? @_@) I can't stand books written in the first person. I find them excessively difficult to read. I've tried it, but I've only been able to finish a few exceptional ones. I also loathe soppy romance novels. I have trouble identifying with female main characters, but that often simply means it won't become a book I go back to.

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of? It's perfectly possible for me to dislike a book I've never read. I know what I like - and I can tell you without even trying that a book written in the first person that's primarily about romance is going to be something I loathe. If I've started reading then 99 times out of 100 I'll finish the book. I feel I owe it to the book to give it a good shot at least.

Is there anything in a review/synopsis that automatically makes you want to try/never want to try a novel? Favourable comments by authors I know I like will probably get me interested in a book. Bad reviews won't turn me off, but if I don't like the sound of the plot I won't bother reading it.

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it? I like epic fantasy. I'd say that's my primary genre. I also read horrors, thrillers, comedy, sci-fi, action and non-fiction books, though, so I'd say I stray quite widley out of 'my' genre.

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to? Bit of both? Most of the people I know read the same kind of books I do, so I can be pretty confident recommending books I've loved to them. That said I do tend to keep tabs on what genre's people read. Pointless recommending a book filled with blood and sex to my mother. Likewise pointess recommending non-fiction to anyone but my Dad.

Why do you read? Enjoyment, escape, ideas, improving something in yourself, nothing better to do? Because I enjoy it, and it's comforting when I'm upset and stuff.

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements (ex, the author is a homophobe or a rabid [insert political group] or likes trashing other people.. do you care)? The cover and title and summary definitely help me decide, but that's just 'cause I'm trying to pick a book at the library or something. I like to like the character of my favorite authors, but usually I know nothing about them before reading. Except so many are British...

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect (ex, characterization, style, plot, ending, idea) outweigh s[...] in all the other areas? How interesting it is and, like, the feeling I get from it. If that makes any sense at all?

Do you like/hate certain kinds of characters, personalities, plots, adventures, writing styles, or settings? (Elaborate, please? @_@) Helpless girls bother me, just like books that the entire plots/ all the characters are based on stereotypes. That's annoying.

How quickly within a book do you make a decision? Can you dislike a novel that you have never read, but have seen synopses/reviews of? Usually I have to read it... a few pages if I'm picking a book, but more to choose if I actually like it.

Is there anything in a review/synopsis that automatically makes you want to try/never want to try a novel? Zee plot, or course.

Do you have a favorite fiction genre? If so, why is it your favorite? Do you read widely outside it? Sci-fi and fantasy. Made up worlds/ magic are great, but real-world stuff is just as good. Sometimes I end up reading historical fiction, too.

Do you recommend any book you love to anyone, or do you try to recommend books you think the other person is more suited to? Yeah, they just don't always listen. wink.gif

Edited by LotusCalm

Everything above, accept making myself better.

No.

Plot, characters, and idea.

I hate romances and mysteries of any type, but I love parodies, classics, fantasies, and Gothic novels.

Yeah...

Mainly only read dark fantasies that have no romance whatsoever, but wander out of that sometimes.

I don't recommend anything.

... No.

To add to this- if it has fangirls. Fangirls=horrible book, most of the time; Harry Potter being an exeption.

I generally hate reading stories that have children as the lead roles, apart from Harry Potter. I think the reason Harry Potter gets away with it is because I was a child when I first read the books, and grew up alongside Harry and the gang as the books were written and released. A lot of the love is down to nostalgia I think....

I don't really know what makes me love a book now. To be honest I hardly read anymore, but the very last very serious book obsession I had was Robert Crais's Joe Pike/Elvis Cole series. I don't know what made me love it so much. He writes crime thrillers. I think I found the details tremendously fascinating (he clearly does a lot of research into police protocols and forensic stuff and practically everything). Nearly all his books are set in LA, which is pretty much like reading a story set on Tatooine to a British English person like me, but that too was fascinating.

I also fell in love with his main characters, Elvis Cole and Joe Pike (mostly Joe Pike)... they are some strong, incorruptible men indeed wub.gif

As for your little survey:

- Enjoyment mostly. Also when I get creative blocks, to try and give me some ideas.

- Yes and no. I think the cover work is very important (though of course, I'm speaking as an illustration student). It needs to successfully capture the tone of the book, and no matter what people say, the image of the cover WILL cast a subconscious aura over you as you read it. I used to have both the child and adult covers of HP:CoS and even though the text was the same, reading the story inside the adult cover made it feel very different. As for the author, the less I know the better. Knowing too much about an author can take away the magic of their novels.

- Well, I like a book to have a nice cover, but generally I will gain interest in a book when I see that it's been linked to a book I already like (you know like when you go on Amazon and it says 'customers who bought this book also bought this book...) Sometimes they catch my attention.

- I generally avoid books with female lead roles, or children lead roles (apart from Harry Potter, as I've already explained). I used to avoid stories written in first person but I've read some really good ones in the last year or so. Fantasy settings are a no-no these days. I'm afraid I've grown up.

- You mean make a decision about whether I like it or not? It's hard to say. I've ploughed through the first 20 pages of a book that I already realised I would hate by the end of the first page, and then given up. I like to give them a chance, but why waste my time if the book is aggravating me? That kind of response is normally down to the characters. You need decent characters.

- A review that praises intense atmosphere and very well developed characters will definitely grab my attention, as will praise of an intricate and twisting plot. That would make me want to pick up a book. What makes me not want to pick up a book? Usually bad cover art!!

- I used to be a real bookworm for fantasy. Then, like I say, I grew up and I also stopped reading as much. Soon as I picked up reading again about half a year ago I realised that mystery and crime thrillers were the places to be. I appreciate the maturity it takes to write stuff like that. I don't see much reason to read outside of what I know I like, not until someone absolutely pesters me into reading something I don't normally read because it's just that good.

- No, I don't recommend books really. I tell people about books I like, but I think it's a bit presumptuous to say HEY, READ THIS, IT'S REALLY GOOD.

Edited by Bramblyhuck

The things that I judge about a book by is the way it's written and if I can see it in my mind and how adventures or scary or whatever kind of book it is.

Sparkly vampires.

Enjoyment and escape mostly.

If I'm in a book shop I have to admit that I'm first drawn by a books title and then it's the blurb on the back that really makes me decide whether its worth reading / buying.

I usually judge as a whole. I personally think great characterization is a major key aspect.

I don't mind whether the main character is male is female. I HATE Marys sues and perfect characters they turn me away instantly. I don't like fantasy type books at all, never have. The adventure in the story for me has to be exciting and fun with twists and turns I don't want a cookie-cutter book with an ending thats predictable. Again as stated above good interesting, deep, characters is a MUST for me, I can't stand poorly written characters.

Usually the first chapter tells me whether or not its worth finishing.

Bad characterization and a predictable or boring plot.

Science-Fiction!! I barely read anything outside of this.

No because no one I know other than me likes reading sci-fi books.

Mostly for enjoyment, but different kinds of enjoyment. Sometimes I'll pick up a quick, easy book that I've read many times before and know I enjoy and just read through it as a bit of fun, or an escape. Other times i'll go for something a little meatier. I consider it a mental exercise, in that case, as well as just plain fun. It's a good way to see what other people have thought up, and to formulate my own ideas and concepts.

Do the non-content things matter to you? Cover, title, blurbs, summary, outside information, formatting, author's outside affiliations/statements?

That depends. I know they say don't judge a book by its cover, but frankly, everyone does. If a cover has a photo of a teenage girl with heavy makeup on it, chances are I won't pick it up. I do put a lot of stock into the summaries and quotes on a lot of books, though. I want to know what I'm going to be reading about before I start the book, unless it's come very highly recommended from someone I trust. I don't like jumping in blind, so to speak. I want to know something about the book beforehand, whether it's from an outside source, or from the blurb on the back of the book. As for author's affiliation. . . I couldn't care less, frankly. If they write a good, enjoyable book, it doesn't matter to me what the author's political views or whatever are. Who cares? It's not like I'm going to have to have dinner with them or anything.

Do you judge books as a whole, or can one very great aspect outweighs in all the other areas?

That also depends. If the book as a whole is good, well written with an interesting plot, but the main character is whiny and annoying and generally intolerable, then chances are I won't enjoy the book nearly as much. Usually I tend to judge the book as a whole. After all, you can't have a real story without all aspects of it. But if one or two bits are especially horrid, that'll make the rest of the story a whole lot less enjoyable. Or vice-versa, in some cases.

No, I don't think so, as a general rule. Even though there are a lot of similar plots and characters out there, they do all have their differences. Yeah, some of those stories will be horrible, but there are bound to be a few in any genre or setting or plot stereotype that are interesting. I like to think a good writer can make just about anything good to read. The only flat-out judgement I'll make on an entire writing style is on the present-tense narration style. I absolutely loathe present tense. I do not think it's possible to do it well. Contradicts my last statement a bit, but there it is. Present-tense writing is the exception. It always feels sloppy to me.

Depends on the book. Some books start of really good, but decline rapidly. Some start off slow, but get better later on. One of my favorite books, I couldn't get past the first fifty pages the first three times I tried to read it. That doesn't necessarily make slow-starting books good, though. As Yahtzee said at one point, if the first half of something is good, that isn't necessarily enough to make the whole thing good, but if the first half is bad it can definitely ruin the rest of it.

As for judging a book without even reading it. . . sure. Take Twilight, for example. I've never read it, and I'm not going to, not necessarily because it's poorly written or has a stupid plot, but because I don't like vampires, I don't like teen stories, and I don't like romance novels, and Twilight conveniently lobs all three together. Of course I'm not going to read it. If someone doesn't like dinosaurs, for instance, they're hardly going to read Raptor Red or Dinotopia.

If a synopsis starts out with something about a teenage girl who's had a hard life, I'm automatically not so interested. Books like that are a dime a dozen, and frankly, I've had enough. There are good ones out there, for sure. I've read a few. But in general, that's a type of book I'll avoid. In general, I find myself interested in a book if it sounds. . . different. If I haven't seen something quite like it before. If it doesn't look like a rewrite of the dozen other fantasy adventure novels I've read. I'm always on the lookout for something new and interesting.

Oh, fantasy and sci-fi of all sorts. Those two genres cover so much, though, it's kind of hard to confine it to just that. When I hear fantasy, I automatically think of a Lord of the Rings-esque sort of tale, but there's so much more than that. Shakespeare wrote what might be considered fantasy, in a lot of cases. There are all kinds of fantasy. And then, of course, there's things like the Dragonriders of Pern series, that are definitely sci-fi, rather than fantasy, and yet have a title that suggest something fantastical. Personally, I think the whole genres thing is a twisted mess that we all have to sort through.

Both. I've read a lot of books, and I try to touch on a lot of different topics. When I'm recommending a book to someone, generally I try to recommend something I enjoyed and something that I think is suited to them. I'm not going to recommend Ender's Game to someone who doesn't care for sci-fi, no matter how much I loved it. Depends on the person and on the book.

I appreciate everyone's answers smile.gif

Sparkly vampires.

Wonderfully vague which emotion you have toward these.

A lot of those actually.. mostly enjoyment and escape. I get ideas too, but usually that is more of a side benefit.

Yes... The cover and title affect me some, but I'll read a book named "Hoop de Doo" with a scribbled cover if someone recommends it to me and it sounds interesting. I'm not very likely to just take a book with a bad title or cover though. Formatting can be annoying, but usually it doesn't affect my decision of reading, though I might not buy a book if the formatting is really bad.

Usually I don't know anything about an author (other then what is in the back of a book), but like with bands, I try to stay away from authors who are jerks or seem really bad to me.

In "The Hero and the Crown" the entire second half of the book was terribly dissapointing, and usually I tell people I loved the first half, but not the second. So endings wouldn't affect how much I like the whole book. The only thing that might influence my too much by itself is the writing.

I dislike Romances, where the whole plot is that. Mary sues are annoying, but I love Drizzt so I guess I can't really say I hate them. Some personalities grate on my nerves.. like know-it-alls and jerks and such. Cliche plots are disliked. I don't like traditional 'save the crystals/stones/princesses'.

On the flip side, I love quirky characters, stories with interesting worlds/settings, twisty plots, stuff like that. Originality.

Yes. I try to save judgment till the end of a book, but there are books I know I'll dislike from the synopsis or review (such as Twilight). Usually this is just plot though I guess..

I really don't like reading about sex or anything like that, so I wouldn't read a book I knew had it in it. Basically if it was rated R. If it was cyberpunk or steampunk or dystopian it would make me more inclined to read it.

Sci-fi and Fantasy. I read some out of it for sure, but maybe not widely.

I love it because it combines everything I dream about and love - wacky characters plots and settings, machinery and supernatural stuff. However, a lot of times these books seem more likely to have the stuff I really hate in them too, like romance. Not that I hate romance, but I don't like romance stories.

If I really love it, I might recommend it to someone, but usually I just don't recommend books at all..