bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

A few days ago I'd placed all of my eggs/hatchlings into the AoND just as I usually do, however, when I had checked on them a day or two later, all of them were removed from the site. (They did not grow up) I do not recall on doing anything of this sort. Anyway, I had added them back to the site yesterday, and when I came back to check on them- the same thing happened. Is it a site issue, or is someone trying to troll me..? What can I do about it?

Edited by TheAkatsuki

Still getting the warning today.

Am choosing to open the site regardless and everything is working fine.

Must have had something in the adverts.

My sisters GoN egg user posted image and look at the code.. AOndS

It spells: Allure of Neglected Dragons laugh.gif

My sisters GoN egg user posted image and look at the code.. AOndS

It spells: Allure of Neglected Dragons laugh.gif

Wow that is so cool laugh.gif

I think I just broke the site while cleaning up? I removed roughly ~100 of ~450 ERs and then got stopped.

The popup viewer says:

Sorry, something went wrong while preparing the dragons for display. Please refresh the page to try again.

And the last dragon I tried to remove (using another tab) says in red letters:

Could not connect to the database. Please try again later.

edit: Well, I should have posted earlier - as soon as I submitted my post, I get dragons again biggrin.gif

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I sometimes get

"Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache Server at www.coup-detat.info Port 80"

when I visit the ER.

I got that but then refreshed and it worked fine again. It's probably just because of the holiday season; the rush of eggs and users using hatcheries can cause little hiccups.

Glad lag I had been getting was fixed.

At the bottom, each page tries to load a banner from jaemeia, which is currently out of business. Could this possibly be moved into a comment or something for the time being, please? smile.gif

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I noticed some sick eggs in the ER that should not even be there, as they had over 4 days left. One had racked up over 10k views, I have no idea for how long it was there... Someone mentioned the same problem in TheEvina's DragHatch thread, maybe it's happening to more fan sites. D:

I noticed some sick eggs in the ER that should not even be there, as they had over 4 days left.

The most probable explanation for higher time eggs/hatchlings winding up in the ER is that the original owner ER'd them at an ER-valid time, then abandoned them, causing them to gain a day (or incubated, ER'd, and abandoned). I have never understood why someone would do that, but I have seen it happen before. In any extreme case, it would allow an egg to suddenly go from 4 days on the original owner's scroll, to 6 days -- the day gained from being abandoned, plus the day gained back from the incubate wearing off when abandoned. If there was a time higher than that, I have no explanation.

The most probable explanation for higher time eggs/hatchlings winding up in the ER is that the original owner ER'd them at an ER-valid time, then abandoned them, causing them to gain a day (or incubated, ER'd, and abandoned).  I have never understood why someone would do that, but I have seen it happen before.  In any extreme case, it would allow an egg to suddenly go from 4 days on the original owner's scroll, to 6 days -- the day gained from being abandoned, plus the day gained back from the incubate wearing off when abandoned.  If there was a time higher than that, I have no explanation.

Interesting, I was the one who reported the problem at TheEvina's DragHatch but failed to notice it was happening at AoND. The one common thread I saw in the sick hatchlings and tombstones was no owner name on any of them. I did just spot a sick hatchling at Evina's at 6d 5h so not sure if that theory is totally right.

I've been noticing that for a couple of months already, I just never had the time to get screenshots whenever I see that. I planned to make screenies when the next release rolls in, because 2 days after a new release, you shouldn't see them in the hatchling ER yet. Fact is, in the hatchling ER, sometimes hatchies are stuck which have almost 7 days left - which was especially clear when a bunch of grave hatchies showed up there 2 days after their release (no, those were *not* TJ's hatchies). It seems they don't get cleaned out of there either, because they sometimes are still there at 6d 22h (doesn't the ER get cleaned hourly?) and less.

That could be it, I guess. None of them had that much time left, though, they were ranging from 4 days 7 hours down to 4 days 3 hours, about ten in total. No new ones popped up after they were cleaned, though.

I saw named scrolls as well as some without owner names, Dracaena, but only eggs and no hatchlings. Well, one dead hatchling, but I do not know if that was from the same problem. If I see it again I'll try getting some screenshots.

...doesn't the ER get cleaned hourly?...

Half-hourly, actually.

There have been some limited cases where I've checked the API for specific dragons and it's returned an outdated time remaining, up to a few hours off even. I can't say I've seen it often, but I can't say I've had time to do manual comparisons like that very often, either. Maybe the problem is even more prevalent than I realized? Otherwise, I have no idea.

As a theory for how the high-time hatchlings end up in the ER, though, assuming the above is true... If the issue is the outdated time, perhaps the hatch date still updates without relying on the time, such that the API shows the dragon as having hatched while still showing the ER time of the egg. That would cause a high-time hatchling to be in the hatchling ER, rather than the egg one. It seems unlikely, given the specific circumstances that would be required, but it's the only thing I can think of.

That's probably it - I just kicked a 7-day hatchling out of the hatchling ER.

As a theory for how the high-time hatchlings end up in the ER, though, assuming the above is true... If the issue is the outdated time, perhaps the hatch date still updates without relying on the time, such that the API shows the dragon as having hatched while still showing the ER time of the egg. That would cause a high-time hatchling to be in the hatchling ER, rather than the egg one. It seems unlikely, given the specific circumstances that would be required, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Wait so the problem with hatchlings not being removed is that the cached information doesn't update when the cleaning script runs so it doesn't think it's grown up and isn't removed? If so then someone should talk to TJ about lowering the time that the cache lasts.

You see this problem suddenly got bad on my site too and I clean it each half an hour as well. dry.gif

Wait so the problem with hatchlings not being removed is that the cached information doesn't update when the cleaning script runs so it doesn't think it's grown up and isn't removed? If so then someone should talk to TJ about lowering the time that the cache lasts.

You see this problem suddenly got bad on my site too and I clean it each half an hour as well. dry.gif

I have no idea if that's actually the problem or not. It's just a guess, based on what I've seen, but with the acknowledgement that it's a pretty precise set of circumstances that are required, which means the odds of the guess being right are far lower than a more simplistic explanation -- I just can't think of anything else, simple or otherwise.

You're welcome to discuss it with TJ, though, to see if it's true. I don't have the time these days.

When I tried to add an ER, it tells me "....is not an emergency (or it is fogged)..."

why?

Maybe it wasn't quite close enough in time - there are those few minutes just at the 4 hour mark... ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

I just removed 2 hatchies from the hatchie ER. Both sick, at 6d20h and with 6k views and 1k unique views. I would guess that they did indeed spend 4 hours in that ER since hatching. Does the cleanup not catch those?

When I tried to add an ER, it tells me "....is not an emergency (or it is fogged)..."

why?

Because the site didn't think it was an ER, just like the message says.

As for why it didn't recognize it as ER, I have absolutely no information to work with, so I have no idea. Had it just turned to ER? How much time did it say it had remaining? Did it hatch as you were trying to enter it? Did it work on a second add-attempt, or did you only try once? Was it fogged?

I just removed 2 hatchies from the hatchie ER. Both sick, at 6d20h and with 6k views and 1k unique views. I would guess that they did indeed spend 4 hours in that ER since hatching. Does the cleanup not catch those?

I would say it didn't catch those specific ones, in any case. Odd, though, because that does seem rather long for DC to be sending outdated information. I'll have to take a look at that when I get back to my own computer. It's always possible there's some weird bug in the cleaner, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't have come up before now, if so...

... but I'm not sure why it wouldn't have come up before now, if so...

As I mentioned a few posts earlier, I'm watching this for a while already (I have a habit of looking at all the hatchies to look for frozen ones - yeah I know, the autocleaner gets it.) I just never took the time to make proper screenies and collect data to post it here.

As I mentioned a few posts earlier, I'm watching this for a while already...

So you did. Let me rephrase: I'm surprised there haven't been a lot of people, complaining relatively frequently, if it's been going on for that long. Regardless, it's definitely something to look into. Hopefully I'll have time today!