bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

Well, no matter if it posed a problem to your friend or not, my point was: If bbik didn't change anything to the coding, while she also noticed some strange behaviour in response from DC, and the scroll was NEVER visible although it should have been, it might just be a bug with DC itself - possibly as part of closing a potential security loophole (the "&" is often used as a separator between parameters) - which MAY have been added just yesterday to the API, too (e.g. by fixing another loophole or somesuch). So while the scroll not found might not be new, it might be a symptom for what's now causing the scroll name to be rejected - possibly by the API itself being at fault now, instead of fansites with insufficient scrollname encoding.

Either way, it might just be an idea to bring this to TJ's notice.

Just to make sure DC is storing it correctly, could you try hiding the scroll (check the box and save) and then unhiding it (uncheck and save)?

You said that AoND wasn't the only site that would take their scroll names. Which others also worked, and do they still? Or are they having the same problem now?

It's very weird that the scrolls have never been visible, even when not hidden. I'm guessing something might have been "fixed" with that to at least have it handled consistently (not visible to users, so also not visible through the API), even if it is now consistently wrong. If that is the case, though, it will definitely be something we'll have to contact TJ about. I won't have a chance to do that until this evening at the earliest, so if you'd like to try and get his attention sooner, feel free to email him yourself. Who knows when he'll have the time to read or respond to it himself, though.

I did hide and unhide, no problems.

BUT

Just noticed this:

http://dragcave.net/user/M%26M

When I enter the 'M%26M' it works. So it seems that really TJ changed something.

We'll just have to remember this 'spelling' of the scroll name. So to us it's ok now, knowing how to add the scroll(s). Thanks!

That's the encoding I mentioned above. Glad to see that at least that works ^^

AoND doesn't seem to "get" eggs/hatchlings properly at the moment. I added 1 egg (the Duotone) all others were already added and I got the following after adding the duotone:

user posted image

As you can see I've got 6 eggs and four hatchlings. But AoND only thinks (at least based on the text) that I've got 4 hatchlings and no eggs.

And this while it does correctly display all the eggs and hatchlings as added.

So..... Are the others indeed in AoND or not? I've got them in EATW too, so it's not a big problem, but I thought I should check it anyway.

It's probably the API that's currently bugged, judging by a similar report in the Valleysherwood thread. Thus, if it affects one site, it will affect all sites that use the API ...

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Are the others indeed in AoND or not?

My scroll just pulled up a correct count, so I'd say whatever the API bug was is fixed now. However, for future reference, the egg/hatchling count at the top has no relation to what's added to the site. It's just a count of what's currently growing on your scroll. The check boxes tell you what's in the site.

*Something* is still wonky, look at the hatchling area here. It's very strange seeing eggs mixed with hatchlings, at first I wasn't sure what the heck I was seeing.

user posted image

^ I see the same problem. Went to make sure a hatchling of mine was clicked out of the emergency area and found her in the hatchling section rather than the egg section I expected. Been doing some cleaning but it is a mess right now.

I just added some eggs to the site and it says I have 0 eggs unsure.gif

*Something* is still wonky, look at the hatchling area here. It's very strange seeing eggs mixed with hatchlings, at first I wasn't sure what the heck I was seeing.

user posted image

Yeaaahh..i think we broke AoND, guys. D:

Adding to the general chorus of "something's rotten in Denmark."

my "Give Views" page shows zero eggs in the ER (and even says "showing 0 of 0")... and they're all in the (ER) Hatchling section! As are some things that aren't ER; I clicked the removal star for a Lumina hatchling with 4d 1h remaining, and got the 'this is still an ER, be careful' message!

It also claims to be showing "47 out of 15" ER hatchlings. o.O

EDIT - Welp, I posted a pic but two times it was removed; what's up with that?!

Edited by ferdelance

4d 1h is normal, most fansites count them as ER already at that point.

Today there's eggs under ER Eggs....but eggs are also still showing up under the hatching portion of the ER. blink.gif

It would seem a variation of yesterday's API bug resurfaced. It seems to be fixed again now, though, so I've corrected AoND's database as well. At worst, there might be a few extra fogballs in the egg section of the daycare, but otherwise things should be back to normal.

I really need to find some time to redo all this old code to prevent problems like that from happening in the first place...

Service Unavailable error? Just tried to connect through the link in the op and got that message.

I am getting this when trying to add a scroll:

The error from the ND page:

"Failed to connect to Dragon Cave. Either DC is too laggy, or it is down. Please try again later."

From the DC side, the box on the left, I am getting this:

"Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache Server at www.coup-detat.info Port 80"

The second one I have only seen once; but I have been unable to add anything for about a half hour. I am having a similar issue with another fansite, but the rest seem to be ok.

Edit:

Now I can't access the site at all. Just getting that Service Unavailable error I mentioned above.

Edited by MissHell23

The DC API (the part of DC that the fansites can talk to) was down for a short while, and something wasn't handling that right in AoND, so it got temporarily overloaded as a result. The API seems to be back to normal now, though, so AoND should be ok as well.