TJ09

05/04/10 - State of the Cave

...Wait.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait.

Why are Frills breeding like rares exactly? o_o; I thought this'd be like with the old pinks, where they don't produce eggs of their kind and don't drop in the cave, but still breed like before and simply are able to produce eggs only of their mate's breed.

Yeah, this whole thing just makes me want to become a real, hardcore troll and just go around starting hate campaigns about how ugly x or y sprite is, so that once ten more dragons get pulled or discontinued or whatever, people might start to see my point.

And I am NOT off-topic, ffs.

Edited by Sadako

...Wait.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait.

Why are Frills breeding like rares exactly? o_o; I thought this'd be like with the old pinks, where they don't produce eggs of their kind and don't drop in the cave, but still breed like before and simply are able to produce eggs only of their mate's breed.

Old pinks produce their mate's egg OR new pinks. The old pinks had a replacement sprite, unlike the frills.

The elitism on the part of some of the artists is outrageous. It makes me dislike sprites I otherwise liked before comments like 'the users should have no rights' were made. People choose to play the game? 'tis true. I guess I was unaware spriters were being forced at gun point to draw pictures of dragons...thought they had some choice before deciding whether or not they wanted to undertake a project, too.

This. = / And I, too, am rather disappointed that the date was moved up.

@silverstreak12

...Well I didn't think of it that way xd.png But still, Frills were commons that got discontinued and still have the breed option. Why do they breed like rares now? o_O

Note: I'm not complaining, just genuinely curious. n_n;

Edited by MissK.

...Wait.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait.

If there was a replacement sprite being put in place for them (like with the old pinks) this would probably be the case. But since there's no replacement sprite for the frills, frillXrare breedings can't be allowed, because then you would just get rare after rare after rare...

I'm not sure exactly what's going to happen with the frills, but I'm thinking that (for a while, at least) they'll still be able to breed with commons, because it's no big deal if you can guarantee a certain common egg from a breeding. But it would mess with the ratios if you could breed them with rares, because then people could easily get rares.

Yeah, this whole thing just makes me want to become a real, hardcore troll and just go around starting hate campaigns about how ugly x or y sprite is, so that once ten more dragons get pulled or discontinued or whatever, people might start to see my point.

ohman doit

I have a friend on here who is actually trolling, subtly

I should goad him into it

/probably going to get b& for this

Edited by Akrona

And the old pink got discontinued because the spriter got sick of the sprite itself and wanted to make a prettier one, iirc!

Rofl Sadako. Refrain! Don't succumb to the dark side -- they may have cookies, but their tea sucks.

ETA: Not you too, Akrona! Nooooooo!

Edited by Nashlina

...Wait.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait.

New pinks and old pinks are actually the same species.

It seems the easiest way to set dragons up to not produce their own kind is to code them like out-of-season holidays.

I'll miss my gold-frill pairing too.

...Wait.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait.

It wouldn't make sense otherwise if the Frills are able to breed like Old Pinks. The Frill sprite is completely being retired. If they are allowed to breed with rare, they would only produce eggs of their mates. In that case, breeding a Frill with metals would produce only metals.

Edit : ninja.gif too many times ...

Edited by arlymaye

No warning? Really? I've known for a whole month that they'd be gone soon, and started collecting then, It's your own fault for not taking advantage of the very first advanced warning... o-o

Um, ever since I heard they were going to be retired I've been adopting CBs like crazy, unfortunately, I got all the dragon kinds but the Frills. We had a warning telling us one date and then the date was moved, I wouldn't have minded if it had been to a later date, but all of a sudden they are gone and there was no warning about this new date. So many people were relying on the first bit of information and I'm sure they were doing their best, I don't think it's anyone's fault if they didn't get to catch one and they have all the right to be sad or mad if they didn't get the Frill they wanted, thinking they still had plenty of time and all of a sudden not having it.

All of that aside, I'm really sad that I couldn't get the male Frill I needed, I was hoping that I would catch one some time this month. I really liked them, it really sucks that it was retired because of some whiny people. I'm really sorry that you went through all of that Lythiaren, it really sucks when people end up chasing you out, I wish it hadn't ended this way, but I guess I understand, I don't think you've been childish at all either :/

@silverstreak12

...Well I didn't think of it that way xd.png But still, Frills were commons that got discontinued and still have the breed option. Why do they breed like rares now? o_O

Note: I'm not complaining, just genuinely curious. n_n;

Apparently the decision was made to have them behave like holidays but without ever having a holiday for them to give their own egg. Perhaps that was the easiest way to code it so they don't breed. If they actually bred like rares there would be a chance of getting a frill egg since rares still produce their own on occasion. wink.gif

sad.gif I never did get a CB male Frill (mine all gendered female), and now I really have to change the one project …

Though does this mean the Frill I have from a Frill/Silver pairing is now from a Rare/Rare pairing?

Buuuut that's all I'm saying, I'm not touching teh drama with a ten-foot pole …

But it would mess with the ratios if you could breed them with rares, because then people could easily get rares.

Um...why, though? There'd still be the same chance of a rare being produced but, when that wasn't the case, instead of the breedings resulting in frill eggs we would just get more "no interests". That's why I found it strange; it actually wouldn't mess anything up. x3

Edit: Ah, Sir Barton ninja'd me. That makes sence I suppose... I'll leave the thread to teh drama now. ^^;

Editedit: And thanks angelicdragonpuppy for the explanation a few posts below, too!

*switches to lurk mode again*

Edited by MissK.

People were *****ing about frills mostly the same way they *****ed about mints, greens, pinks, purples, and anything that was often seen clogging the AP.  They just had the added frustration of sharing the same egg description as several other dragon types.  And!  People didn't complain about how the sprite looked often enough that Frills could be considered singled out.  Mints, on the other hand, got skinned, quartered, and roasted on spits, regularly and with great gusto.

People bred frills consistently because they liked them.  If you can't see that, then you're voluntarily blinding yourself.

From the standpoint of somebody who has been in your shoes, Lythiaren, almost down to the very last detail -- in a few years, you will do your best to forget this event ever happened.  Not because you want to strike a horrible memory of "persecution" from your brain, but because your behavior is going to embarrass you.  Please believe me on this.

Well said.

Edited by Meagan

Quick everyone, let's hate on horse dragons for daring to have the same description as two other types of eggs! RAGE!

ohman doit

I have a friend on here who is actually trolling, subtly

I should goad him into it

/probably going to get b& for this

I really hope you're kidding.

Just in case you're not... please don't do this. It's rarely worth ruining a lot of people's days to prove a point.

Um...why, though? There'd still be the same chance of a rare being produced but, when that wasn't the case, instead of the breedings resulting in frill eggs we would just get more "no interests". That's why I found it strange; it actually wouldn't mess anything up. x3

This is what I thought, too. But apparently, whether or not a dragon will breed is decided SEPARATELY from what type of egg is produced, for some odd reason. T___T

Ex: You have a 30% chance of getting an egg. You breed the frills and a silver. While there's only a 2% of getting a silver egg, there's now ZERO percent chance of getting a silver, so you get silvers whenever the breeding would produce an egg--aka, much higher rates.

Methinks this should be changed, but eh, I'll just be ignored again.

I really hope you're kidding.

Just in case you're not... please don't do this. It's rarely worth ruining a lot of people's days to prove a point.

yes I am kidding i'm not that mean

Owning the final right to use a work =/= owning the feelings people will have about your decision to exercise that right.

For non-spriter users to see the in-cave sprites is a privilege. But so is our appreciation and willingness to keep quiet when the abstract idea of having a dragon, not the art itself - of obtaining this conceptual dragon, of naming it and imagining it, multiplied over thousands of users - is taken away. DC is not the same as a personal art gallery where every single right is explicitly yours.

(Probably ninja'd half a dozen times by Akrona and Nashlina.. but hey, I dislike seeing the thoughts of the silent majority fail to exist for some vocal minorities.)

- somewhat unrelated, but here's an explanation of why "something" (it's your choice whether that change is negative) would be changed: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=89255

Edited by kadoatie

Bye Frills!!! ;A; We'll miss you.

And that spring theme looks absolutely lovely!!! <3 Want.

This is what I thought, too. But apparently, whether or not a dragon will breed is decided SEPARATELY from what type of egg is produced, for some odd reason. T___T

Ex: You have a 30% chance of getting an egg. You breed the frills and a silver. While there's only a 2% of getting a silver egg, there's now ZERO percent chance of getting a silver, so you get silvers whenever the breeding would produce an egg--aka, much higher rates.

Methinks this should be changed, but eh, I'll just be ignored again.

I agree--this should be changed. If this were changed then you could breed metallics together and still have the same chance as getting a metallic egg as from a Rare X Common pairing, except you wouldn't end up with an unwanted common egg, you just wouldn't get an egg at all in most cases. There'd be a lot less AP clog, that's for sure.

yes I am kidding i'm not that mean

Whew! Thanks... I thought so, but wanted to make sure. :-)

Having frills discontinued was sad enough. I don't want to see any repeats if we can help it. :-)

Might I also add that we are extremely lucky to even have the opportunity to produce the artwork for this site ourselves? Spriting is a privilege that many people wish to have, and just because an artist ends up being one of the people to wield that privilege doesn't mean they get to act like an elitist child, like so many have been.

Spriting should be a bonus, not something we take for granted.

Whew! Thanks... I thought so, but wanted to make sure. :-)

Having frills discontinued was sad enough. I don't want to see any repeats if we can help it. :-)

yeah, though i would like to think most of the artists here are capable of actually handling negative feedback. But I might be overly optimistic.