TJ09

05/04/10 - State of the Cave

Late to the party, I know. xd.png

But I just wanted to say it was fun hunting down all those frills for my scroll while I had the opportunity and I shall enjoy them to my hearts content and simply be proud that I have them! Like the old pink and the leetle trees, which were retired prior to me learning about this wonderful place, they are making way for more, newer eggs to take their place though they can never be replaced. (Though I wish I was around to catch the old pink and leetle tree but c'est la vie! wub.gif )

I know I did everything I could to collect as many frills while they were available and while I was very far from getting 100 like my goal (I think I've only got 15 tongue.gif ) I'll cherish the ones I have.

Thank you Lythiaren for designing them and thank you for letting us share your wonderful creation!

And yay for the new spring layout! cool.gif

~BDQ

ohman doit

I have a friend on here who is actually trolling, subtly

I should goad him into it

/probably going to get b& for this

This is another thing that bothers me about this whole thing.

It is a real sign of immaturity when an artist cannot separate themselves from their art.

An artists work is the product of his or her brain. The words that come out of one's mouth are the same.

So if I say that first comment was a bunch of immature, childish drivel, you will keep the words separate from yourself, and not get offended?

*edit for typo

Edited by ainisarie

All I have to say is that TJ and any1 else who benefits from the money made on this site (and yes, money is made, even though it is free, donations usually cover the costs so money from ads n products is straight to pocket cash) are lucky this site is so addicting. If the same drama as DC had happened on less addicting sites the place would clear faster than cockroaches when the lights turn on. I have never been a part of another site that had such intense drama every other month or so. Insane.

I was a support of the frills since the beginning, I am sad to see them go. But, obviously, it isn't the users choice what happens, so I shall respect Lyth for her decision. I just hope it doesn't happen again. And I read a comment a few pages back that Lyth said she didn't "pull the sprite", which is correct, for the current users. Give it a year or two and over half the users left won't have frills or the option to gain them. Same as old pinks are getting. So I think it is pulling, future-pulling. If that makes sense? laugh.gif I shall keep my supportive avatar on.

Love the spring layout. I've never been a fan of the standard DC forum layout, red or blue. Looking forward to the new layout when it's done!

yeah, though i would like to think most of the artists here are capable of actually handling negative feedback. But I might be overly optimistic.

The thing is, we never know what might set the next person off. Lythiaren is very sensitive to negative remarks. Dovealove was unhappy about how the site was being run. The next artist to become upset might, for all we know, feel slighted that another concept too close to theirs had been approved, or become disgusted that their dragon has been used for an inbreeding project, or who knows what else? Everyone has their own trigger. Heck, perhaps an artist may just want their work back to sell to someplace else. It could happen. I wouldn't hate them for it if it did.

Honestly, I just wish TJ would make some real basic policies for what will happen if an artist doesn't want their work here anymore. I mean something basic like "There will be three months of advance notice for the community and then either your eggs will no longer be available but the old sprites will remain, or else the dragons will remain as they are but your sprites will be replaced by another artist." Just... something that would end the uncertainty for us of what would happen. It would be greatly appreciated from this end simply to know what the rules are.

*two cents*

Edited by tjekan

An artists work is the product of his or her brain. The words that come out of one's mouth are the same.

So if I say that first comment was a bunch of immature, childish drivel, you will keep the words separate from yourself, and not get offended?

*edit for typo

Yes that is correct. I will not get offended because for one thing I am fully aware that my other comment was immature, and furthermore my ego is not so easily shattered that criticism of my actions offends me.

Just... something that would end the uncertainty for us of what would happen. It would be greatly appreciated from this end simply to know what the rules are.

Oh no no no. Remember, us users do no work and are not entitled to anything, not even some stability. All rights must remain with artists alone. We're merely the bystanders, not an actual relevant part of the site.

So if I say that first comment was a bunch of immature, childish drivel, you will keep theword separate from yourself, and not get offended?

An artist is expected to be able to take criticism. They may feel offended because we all get our feelings hurt when someone says something negative but you let it go for what it is and move on. I'm a writer. My work has been criticized, in fact I ask for criticism to help me improve on my style. If you are willing to post your work on the internet you should have the level of maturity to take criticism without having a meltdown. That isn't too much to ask.

Oh no no no. Remember, us users do no work and are not entitled to anything, not even some stability. All rights must remain with artists alone. We're merely the bystanders, not an actual relevant part of the site.

Dire, hun, I'd say I agree with you but people will probably not realize this is a sarcastic comment, given others have said basically the same thing completely seriously

Entirely apart from what Akrona actually said:

The words "immature" and "childish" are descriptions of a person's character and personality. If you were to say that about a comment of personal opinion, you would be actually making an attack upon the person him/herself instead of a person's "work". Art, on the other hand, is highly personal, but the generally accepted quality of one's art does not determine what kind of person they are.

Saying that a story I write or a doodle I draw (don't create visual art myself) is ugly and misshapen and badly shaded and incompletely designed and horribly structured is perfectly fine to me, because that is a judgment of my abilities in a certain area. Saying that my thoughts are ugly and bad and incomplete and horrible would not be, since that is a judgment of me as a person.

(unless, of course, you were right by majority opinion, in which case I have bigger issues than what you choose to call me)

All yous are not directed at you as a specific person. This is my general opinion on commenting.

Edited by kadoatie

+++++

Again, I think the addictive properties of this game are the only thing keeping the users here sadly. But I love it, I think the dragons give out drugs....

Whether you are being sarcastic or not, I think the statement is true

Edited by MollyElizbeth

Entirely apart from what Akrona actually said:

The words "immature" and "childish" are descriptions of a person's character and personality. If you were to say that about a comment of personal opinion, you would be actually making an attack upon the person him/herself instead of a person's "work". Art, on the other hand, is highly personal, but the generally accepted quality of one's art does not determine what kind of person they are.

Saying that a story I write or a doodle I draw (don't create visual art myself) is ugly and misshapen and badly shaded and incompletely designed and horribly structured is perfectly fine to me, because that is a judgment of my abilities in a certain area. Saying that my thoughts are ugly and bad and incomplete and horrible would not be, since that is a judgment of me as a person.

Yes, also this I suppose.

I will admit that I'm generally more open to criticism than most people so while that comment did not offend me in the least I suppose, yes, it was different.

Edited by Akrona

+++++

Again, I think the addictive properties of this game are the only thing keeping the users here sadly.  But I love it, I think the dragons give out drugs....

Whether you are being sarcastic or not, I think the statement is true

Akky was right, I was being sarcastic XD

I think the notion that users bring nothing to the site/have no rights is a complete load of self-righteous drivel. Just sayin'.

edit - excuse me, that users should have no rights.

Edited by Dire

I am a singer as well as an off-site artist.

I am critiqued on my VOICE every day, which is something that I cannot change and that was given to me. I cannot alter it by a few pixels and change the hue, nor can I request a redline of my larynx. I am stuck with it.

When someone says something other than "Your song sounded beautiful oh my god" do I curl up in a ball, cry, and say I'll never sing again? No. I take what they say into consideration and see if I can somehow change what I'm doing in order to make it work.

Akky was right, I was being sarcastic xd.png

I think the notion that users bring nothing to the site/have no rights is a complete load of self-righteous drivel. Just sayin'.

I think we bring things, such as well the site itself, without users there is no site. But I don't think we get respect. But this is off-topic really, so *shuts up*

Personaly I love critque, It helps me improve my art and a sprite I might be working on for many people to possibly enjoy one day =)

As for respect some artists will not give users respect, others will. Some users wont give artists respect others will. Basicly community as a whole should not be judged by a few llamaa =)

Edited by Angziety

I am a singer as well as an off-site artist.

I am critiqued on my VOICE every day, which is something that I cannot change and that was given to me. I cannot alter it by a few pixels and change the hue, nor can I request a redline of my larynx. I am stuck with it.

When someone says something other than "Your song sounded beautiful oh my god" do I curl up in a ball, cry, and say I'll never sing again? No. I take what they say into consideration and see if I can somehow change what I'm doing in order to make it work.

I agree. There's deeeefinitely a difference between, "You suck!" and, "That last G was a little flat."

Yes that is correct. I will not get offended because for one thing I am fully aware that my other comment was immature, and furthermore my ego is not so easily shattered that criticism of my actions offends me.

Good to know. I did italicize "if' because I suspected it was a joke on your part. (I hope.) There are some people on this forum who do make unkind comments and then get defensive if they get it back.

But some people (artists or otherwise) are more sensitive than others. It''s part of your make-up, and you can't change it at will. I was very much so as a teenager. So, I can understand how Lythiaren feels about the whole thing.

I just wish we'd had a bit more time.

As for respect some artists will not give useres respect, others will. Some useres wont give artists respect others will. Basicly community as a whole should not be judged by a few llama =)

This is the wisest comment on this whole entire thread.

I agree. There's deeeefinitely a difference between, "You suck!" and, "That last G was a little flat."

And, more than that:

There is a difference between "You suck" and "You suck at singing"

The first is an attack on the person.

The second is an attack on the art.

And if you can't handle the second, you're an immature artist.

I feel bad for those without frills.

Then again, I have one, so, sorry SUCKERS!

Oh well.

I love my frill.

I love the new layout, even though a spring release in summer is strange....

Then again, I know people who wear bikinis for winter wear.

if you can't handle you work being criticized and people saying things other than gushing over your work than maybe you shouldn't put yourself in a position that leaves you open to criticism.

And, more than that:

There is a difference between "You suck" and "You suck at singing"

The first is an attack on the person.

The second is an attack on the art.

And if you can't handle the second, you're an immature artist.

That was what I meant, I just didn't think to make the distinction, lol.

That invalid password thing sounds like a problem on your end.

Anyway, yes, they CAN still breed, but will never produce a Frill egg, and they now breed like Rares (they won't breed with uncommons, rares, or each other)

Got ya. And now the password works--must have been a quirk at my end. Good to know that if I need to breed a common for some reason, a Frill will work.

Bye, bye Frills-nice to have known your pixels! biggrin.gif

Too bad I don't currently have a frill egg or hatchie xd.png In a few days you could probably trade for a gold w/ one of the last frills hehehe Or I'm thinking wishfully, I rly need a gold...

Too bad I don't currently have a frill egg or hatchie xd.png In a few days you could probably trade for a gold w/ one of the last frills hehehe Or I'm thinking wishfully, I rly need a gold...

If I'd thought of this, I wouldn't have named my frill hatchling today... :|