Umbreonage

Badge (and Trophy) Suggestion Thread

What fuzzbucket said. It's not about the numbers, or how much activity (or what types of activities) a user is engaged in. I mentioned playstyles because this idea seems to trample all over that idea.

But the *main* issue here is that you aren't just talking about "shaking things up", or making new trophies, or new goals. You are talking about *taking away* trophies that users rightfully earned. That's just not right.

while simultaneously flipping out over a passing idea I had late one night.

Of course we're flipping out. It's what we do. tongue.gif

To be clear, I do think the idea of goals that must be re-earned each year is a good thought. If it had been set up that way from the start with trophies no one would be flipping out. It's just the thought of having something "taken away" that we already had that bothers us.

Which is why I casually suggested Achievements. I gave it a different name to distinguish it clearly from our trophies which grant us added egg slots and other benefits. An Achievement (or whatever it would be called) would be separate. A reward for growing x number of white dragons in a year could be an Achievement. Maybe all it would do is give you a nice little icon and bragging rights for the year. (maybe it could do more too, if someone can think of nice little benefits that fit.)

You could even have Achievements for growing x number total dragons in the last year, similar to Trophy levels. It wouldn't replace trophy levels though.

Hi, TJ!

There's an old saying to the effect of 'if you build a better mousetrap, people will come'.

With DC, you built a wonderful mousetrap and many have come.

But because people don't generally regard as leisure-time fun such activities as excessive refreshing on Blockers with often no results, wasting playing time and egg-slots picking up unwanted dragons as a collecting game mechanism which might or might not eventually yield results one day, and not being able to catch new dragons when they first come out, (even by missing sleep, rearranging their lives, and putting hours in,) they tend to get bored and discouraged and start to lose interest.

This is readily predictable, in mouse AND man, lol.

The mousetrap analogy can only be taken so far, as nobody wants a trap slamming down on their necks - but there needs to be accessible 'bait' present to entice not only investigation but to encourage regular presence in those you wish to attract.

Setting up actual 'mousetraps' where negative results will affect people BECAUSE so many have been losing interest in a recreational family-site game which lacks sufficient rewards for them and involves more time than many can spare in a busy life isn't likely to produce positive effects.

Working things out within the biomes so that people are not blocked from actual playing by Blockers, and so that even people with slower systems can catch new Releases within the limited time available to many for such activities would, as people learnt of it, bring you an increasing flood of people, old and new players, coming regularly because there was invariably an enjoyable, rather than a too-often boring and frustrating, experience to be had, without having to place RL on hold in order to gain anything they wanted from the game.

Attracting and keeping customers with positive experiences is a time-proven and effective business model - attempting to force them to come more frequently in order to retain what they've already been given seriously isn't.

Many players would LOVE to collect more dragons more often, if they could more often get to whichever various ones they might happen to need/want at the time, in the time they actually can spare from RL survival-type stuff.

Obviously, you'll build/rebuild your site as you please, but if you want to build it big, build it so that people will have so much fun, they'll want to come as often, and stay as long as they can because the good times keep rolling - not because they're under threat of losing something they already have, if their quotas aren't filled in time, in a collection game they're playing for fun.

Everyone seems to have overlooked a few points while simultaneously flipping out over a passing idea I had late one night.

For example, latching onto specific numbers is pointless when I already said that the badges would probably be retuned to be reasonable amounts for 1 year.

Also, no matter your playstyle, it presumably involves raising dragons. If it doesn't, I'm not quite sure what you are doing instead, or why your not-raising-dragons strategy requires 7 egg slots if you aren't using them.

Third, certain playstyles already preclude certain trophies. My collection methodology is unlikely to hit gold trophy for a long time, but oh well. I think that if the game catered to every possible method of playing and refused to shake things up for fear of people being unwilling to adapt how they play, things would go stale.

But really, you all should be focusing your energy on the other thoughts presented in this thread, like the per-breed trophies or whatever.

I have an issue with taking away things that are already earned.

Which is why I casually suggested Achievements. I gave it a different name to distinguish it clearly from our trophies which grant us added egg slots and other benefits. An Achievement (or whatever it would be called) would be separate. A reward for growing x number of white dragons in a year could be an Achievement. Maybe all it would do is give you a nice little icon and bragging rights for the year. (maybe it could do more too, if someone can think of nice little benefits that fit.)

You could even have Achievements for growing x number total dragons in the last year, similar to Trophy levels. It wouldn't replace trophy levels though.

This pls. This right here. This game would be so easily compatible with achievements, goodness!

Anyway, TJ says discuss the other things, so I'm gonna move on and discuss other things!

~A badge for having every adult species of dragon (what happens when new dragons are released?)

~A badge for having every species of dragon frozen (what happens when new dragons are released?)

~A badge for having every holiday dragon (what happens when new dragons are released?)

While I rather like pretty much everything in the first post, I'm going to specifically comment on these. I think it would be easy enough if maybe there were trophies (or achievements) for having different species, like if you had 25, 50, 100 different species, you get one; or for holidays, if you have 5, etc different species, you get one.

Does that make sense? So it's still kind of like "gotta catch 'em all!" but with milestones, because there will pretty much always be some more dragons to collect.

Unless there's a special trophy that IS for getting every kind of dragon currently released, and then have an achievement for how many times you get that trophy. The trophy goes away whenever anything new comes out, but once you get all the new things again, you get the trophy back, and the more times this happens (like the first time you get the trophy ever, the first time you get the trophy again, the 5th time you get it, the 10th, the 20th, etc) you get some achievement.

I wouldn't mind a trophy like that going away and being worked for... Yes it would be easier for older players but might give a bit more incentive to keep playing and keep getting the trophy.

I think it would be easy enough if maybe there were trophies (or achievements) for having different species, like if you had 25, 50, 100 different species, you get one; or for holidays, if you have 5, etc different species, you get one.

Ooooh, that sounds much more workable and I like it much better.

Although I personally don't care about a badge specifically for holiday dragons for a few reasons.

-You can't get holidays at any time. You have to be here during that specific time. If that happens and you're lucky enough to catch the dragons, I think that's really the prize itself. Do you need a badge to show that accomplishment?

-We have events during... all(? - yes?) holidays now and we get badges from those. No need to add another badge around holiday times.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Maybe there should be a "You Got a Holly!" badge. Because it's really hard to get one if you don't trade for one. And even then... Or maybe "You Got a Gold!" or "You Got a Rare!" Badge, because you always remember your first rare... Most of the time.

Although I personally don't care about a badge specifically for holiday dragons for a few reasons.

-You can't get holidays at any time. You have to be here during that specific time. If that happens and you're lucky enough to catch the dragons, I think that's really the prize itself. Do you need a badge to show that accomplishment?

-We have events during... all(? - yes?) holidays now and we get badges from those. No need to add another badge around holiday times.

Well...not exactly. I think it would be okay to include holiday dragons, since you can still get past ones on the holiday.

Also the badges aren't for the dragons, but for the events. You could get the dragons but not do the events, or do the events but not get the dragons.

Maybe it would be more like there's Valentine's, Halloween, and Christmas badges. If you have any frozen/adult holiday dragons of one of those types, you would have the badge, but those would be the only badges related to the holiday draggies.

Well...not exactly. I think it would be okay to include holiday dragons, since you can still get past ones on the holiday.

Also the badges aren't for the dragons, but for the events. You could get the dragons but not do the events, or do the events but not get the dragons.

Maybe it would be more like there's Valentine's, Halloween, and Christmas badges. If you have any frozen/adult holiday dragons of one of those types, you would have the badge, but those would be the only badges related to the holiday draggies.

Actually, don't we already get event badges for these holidays?

I count 13 badges on my scroll, haven't bothered much with 'Splash' so don't have that, though.

Lol, will be so ninja'd, had to rescue my overly-fried eggs.

Edit: never mind, read too quickly, what with the timing on my 'breakfast', lol - you want separate ones for dragons, although I have to admit that I personally think that even a single badge for each is rather redundant and don't want to run out of room on my scroll, lol.

Re-edit: Socky speaks for me, only better, lol.

Edited by Syphoneira

I just really don't care for badges for things that are already special. You got holidays, you got a holly, you got a gold - isn't that really accomplishment enough? I'd rather have badges for fun things or other goals to work towards that users can actually achieve. x3

And yar, I know the badge is for the event, but if we add a badge for holiday dragons, that's two badges you could potentially get any time a holiday season came around. I would rather spread badges out! o3o

I was more thinking Achievements for things that are repeatable, like each year if you collect 500 dragons your "500 dragons in a year" Achievement is renewed. Holidays are already yearly, and each has a special badge. The badges are for the events, yes, but also kind of for that year's holiday too.

An Achievement for having at least one of every dragon for that holiday would be ok, and would have to be renewed at each holiday because we keep having holidays every year.

I think Achievements should be kept on a separate page, rather like our Festival of Eggs or Trick or Treat treats. Otherwise I'm afraid we'd clutter up the top of our scrolls too much. Actually, I'd rather like to see the trophies moved to a "trophy case" that's just one link, since those are getting to be a bit of a clutter at the top already.

There could be Achievements for 100 of a breed in a year (an achievement for each breed), 500 or 1000 dragons in a year, at least one of each frozen hatchling, and so on.

I think Achievements should be kept on a separate page, rather like our Festival of Eggs or Trick or Treat treats. Otherwise I'm afraid we'd clutter up the top of our scrolls too much. Actually, I'd rather like to see the trophies moved to a "trophy case" that's just one link, since those are getting to be a bit of a clutter at the top already.

This would be super awesome. I imagine if all of these trophies, badges, and other achievements were added, they would need a separate page. Unless we really want to have to scroll past the icons to finally get to the dragons. XD

This would be super awesome. I imagine if all of these trophies, badges, and other achievements were added, they would need a separate page. Unless we really want to have to scroll past the icons to finally get to the dragons. xd.png

"badge cave", now with dragons, too?

I really, really like Fiona's ideas. As someone with multiple armies, getting a little Achievement badge for getting a certain number of that breed would help me keep on task and remember to breed my dragons!

I do have to comment on the earlier "A badge for having every adult species of dragon" idea, though. I don't think that would be a very fair thing to have, because simply by requiring that particular thing for the badge, it would automatically disqualify anyone who wasn't here before the Frills or Bright Pinks were retired. Unless those breeds wouldn't be counted.

I do have to comment on the earlier "A badge for having every adult species of dragon" idea, though. I don't think that would be a very fair thing to have, because simply by requiring that particular thing for the badge, it would automatically disqualify anyone who wasn't here before the Frills or Bright Pinks were retired. Unless those breeds wouldn't be counted.

No, I don't think retired breeds would count for that.

However, they MIGHT have some achievement called "Dragon Retirement Home" or something for those that do have them. Maybe. I don't know as though it would be good to have a badge like that or not. :\

As far as badges/achievements go, I have two basic rules - if they are not fullfilled in a gaming sites, it makes me very likely to quit soon:

1) current badges need to be achievable by everyone. So requiring 50 frills for a badge released now would obviously bad. Harder to see would be stuff like requiring CB holidays.

2) badges you earn, you earned. No losing badges ever, if you still fullfill the requirements. If the requirement is to earn monthly, well, thats ok too - as long as you know it before you get it.

I've no trouble with badges inaccesible to newer players due to starting out later, but they should not be available to others at that time either.

(say a badge would require you to obtain and old pink and a holly. Since old pinks are retired, the badge should be inaccessible even if an old pink owner collects a holly this xmas.)

I'm not a completionist when it comes to badges/achievements in games but I know people can be. Another game I played had a badge that only a early-game volunteer could get, and it was right on the page with all the other badges you could get, except you couldn't get that one, and it encouraged complaints for sure.

edit: kinda ninjed by whitebaron

Edited by diaveborn

1) current badges need to be achievable by everyone. So requiring 50 frills for a badge released now would obviously bad. Harder to see would be stuff like requiring CB holidays.

I had it in mind of just having ONE old pink and/or Frill.

And keep in mind I said maybe. I think it might be a neat little quirk for those who have them. It would be like any past holiday event badges. Not everyone can get those.

If you're going to say every badge/achievement should be achievable by everyone, think of those holiday event badges first. They can't be achieved ever again.

Speaking as someone who has some Frills and Old Pinks, that's not something I personally would want a badge for, and speaking as someone who's been Viewbombed and is now hesitant to publicly mention any particularly lucky catch, I'd actually prefer not having a badge telling everyone that I'd just caught a Holly or Gold or whatever...

My 2 cents may not be worth much, but there it is, lol.

Edit: if the badges are supposed to give people incentive for doing or having done something they're here to do anyway, that's one thing, but I really don't much like the idea of retroactive badges being given out for dragons that people can no longer obtain.

It just doesn't strike me as being fair, because that might just make some people feel that much worse about not being able to get them.

Edited by Syphoneira

I had it in mind of just having ONE old pink and/or Frill.

And keep in mind I said maybe. I think it might be a neat little quirk for those who have them. It would be like any past holiday event badges. Not everyone can get those.

If you're going to say every badge/achievement should be achievable by everyone, think of those holiday event badges first. They can't be achieved ever again.

Please don't assume I only reply to you biggrin.gif

It was a general assumption/guideline I follow, not a specific critique to your post.

I also said (and that stuff you did not quote) that I have no problem with older badges staying and not available to newer players, but if I join now, that badge needs to be attainable to me the same as an oldtime player. So if it requires retired stuff, the badge needs to be retired as well.

I personally don't have any trouble with anyone having a "beat the heat" badge here or a beta test badge somewhere else, its something earned for being there or doing something thats no longer accessible. So the badge is not accessible either, which is totally fine. Let's try to do my example a little differently: Let's say badges get introduced, and there's a "Collect the Legendary Trios (1 each)" badge. Now, next Christmas, Ices get retired (sorry dagon). The badge should be unavailable from then on, even if some players might have had one ice and no other trios and could thus theoretically still complete the set. Ices are gone, badges based on Ices are unavailable and only stick to those who earned it before.

--edit to reply to Syphoneiras crosspost--

no retroactive badges, yes, but not as an absolute. Example: What to do about collect x dragons? if I have 500 reds, do i need to collect them all over to get the hoarding badge?

Edited by whitebaron

Please don't assume I only reply to you :D

It was a general assumption/guideline I follow, not a specific critique to your post.

I also said (and that stuff you did not quote) that I have no problem with older badges staying and not available to newer players, but if I join now, that badge needs to be attainable to me the same as an oldtime player. So if it requires retired stuff, the badge needs to be retired as well.

I personally don't have any trouble with anyone having a "beat the heat" badge here or a beta test badge somewhere else, its something earned for being there or doing something thats no longer accessible. So the badge is not accessible either, which is totally fine. Let's try to do my example a little differently: Let's say badges get introduced, and there's a "Collect the Legendary Trios (1 each)" badge. Now, next Christmas, Ices get retired (sorry dagon). The badge should be unavailable from then on, even if some players might have had one ice and no other trios and could thus theoretically still complete the set. Ices are gone, badges based on Ices are unavailable and only stick to those who earned it before.

no retroactive badges, yes, but not as an absolute. Example: What to do about collect x dragons? if I have 500 reds, do i need to collect them all over to get the hoarding badge?

I didn't think you were replying only to me. I was replying to your post from the standpoint of the small suggestion I made. :P

What you said in the second part of your post didn't really make sense? It still countered the suggestion I made, which was for someone with either a Frill and/or Old Pink to get a little badge or something. Course I still said maybe, and wasn't sure if it was even that great of a suggestion or not. Judging by the replies, it's not.

This info here actually clears up my confusion, though. I thought you meant the badge would be entirely inaccessible even to players who met the requirement. I think I'm not confused. Actually no I'm still confused about what you're saying. D:

ok, next try. biggrin.gif

1) A new badge should not be awarded for something you can not accomplish anymore. So any badges released now would not contain Frills, Old Pinks or CB Holidays of the past.

2) If something that pertains to the acquisition of the badge changes, like retirement of a breed, the badge should be retired too. This would have no consequences for those who already have it, but all other players would not be able to get it anymore. (see both example with retired breeds above)

3) If there are already people who have gained that badge, they should not be changed around. No changed conditions, and no losing badges unless they were temporary badges from the start.

Edited by whitebaron

Lol, no, raising 500 Reds, no matter when it was done, is an accomplishment that's current and that other people could emulate - it's not simply going to say to someone that they're missing out on a badge they can never get, on top of never being able to get retired dragons.

Honestly, I personally think it's silly to have badges for simply having some dragons, that being the purpose for which we come - rather like giving a Boy or Girl Scout a badge for wearing the uniform or something.

It's different for someone collecting 500 of one sprite, which is something impressive that person worked at for a long time...

ok, next try. :D

1) A new badge should not be awarded for something you can not accomplish anymore. So any badges released now would not contain Frills, Old Pinks or CB Holidays of the past.

2) If something that pertains to the acquisition of the badge changes, like retirement of a breed, the badge should be retired too. This would have no consequences for those who already have it, but all other players would not be able to get it anymore. (see both example with retired breeds above)

3) If there are already people who have gained that badge, they should not be changed around. No changed conditions, and no losing badges unless they were temporary badges from the start.

Oh okay that makes sense now. XD

I don't know why I was confused. :\

This has probably been suggested, but what about achievement badges for raising X amount of CB dragons in a month? Like for example, if you grab and raise 50 different dragons from the biomes within a month, you'll get a badge. And then you can get upgraded badges as high goals are hit later on (like with the trophy).

We could have similar badges for raising AP dragons (which has been mentioned before) or breeding dragons. I think 30 is a good start number.

(MATH: ~30 days in a month/~6 days to get an adult*4 slots Max for no trophy = 20 adults in a month with no incubates or low-time eggs or hatchie pickups.

~30 days in a month/~6 days to get an adult*7 slots Max for gold trophy = 35 adults in a month with no incubates or low-time eggs or hatchie pickups.)

Edited by Shokomon