Umbreonage

Badge (and Trophy) Suggestion Thread

Totally against this "keep working for your trophies" brainfart idea. By now, I have almost everything I want. Sometimes, I do catch a batch of new eggs just for the heck of it, but I really don't feel like raising another 500 blockers of any given kind. And just spam-breeding my rares and uncommons - well, I could do that. Me and thousands of other players. Imagine what that would do to the ratios!

I like having the gold, as it means I can raise more stuff. But I don't work to see a new badge.

But once achieved, it should stick unless I release (um) well over 2000 dragons and end up below the 500. xd.png Because I earned it. Otherwise it's like saying that as I never used my music degree in any practical way, I lose the qualification.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Having to continuously meet a goal every year in order to keep my gold trophy would only create aggravation, stress and eventually disinterest. I already met the requirements to get a Gold Trophy, having to keep meeting those requirements would quite frankly distract from enjoying other aspects of the game such as breeding lineages and collecting shimmer lineages and other breeds I enjoy collecting.

I actually released probably a hundred dragons recently, mainly because organising such a massive number of dragons to my own taste was next to impossible. Having to meet a yearly requirement would force me to collect, keep and organise dragons I don't want on my scroll.

Edited by Dubious

Besides, it's not really fair (at all!) to change the rules in the middle of the game. A gold trophy is for 500+ non-growing dragons on your scroll. The "egg limits" page says, in part, "Trophy (gold) Required Dragons (500)". It's more then a little unfair to suddenly come in and say "wait! Those 500 dragons you spent all that time and effort collecting don't count anymore, if you want that trophy back you have to raise 500 more! This year! And then do it all over again next year!"

Eh. I understand the various points being brought up about this, but this I just don't think is a good argument. Part of running a game like this is evolving it with the player base. When we got teleport, AP trading was disabled. We can now erase names. We went from one cave to biomes. We got extra slots with higher trophies but lost our extra slot for breeding. It's not like it says in the terms "this game will stay rigid and nothing will ever change". I don't think something like changing "required dragons" to "required dragons per year" is really changing the rules all that much or even unfair in a game-sense.

And TJ did say the number was flexible. I would be interested in knowing what the average player for each level raises each year. I mean there are people now nearing raising 500 in one month. IIRC I raise enough that I reach 500 before half the year is over. So I wonder if we could get those average numbers, just to know. =o

~

I think vacays and stuff are important to take into consideration, but how much internet-less vacay time do people usually take each year? I know I only get a few weeks at most doing school during the school year and working during the summer.

~

In any case this doesn't have much support thus far so my post isn't all that important, but yar. My thoughts.

I completely understand that DC has changed over time, and as resistant as I was to some of those changes (*ahem* Teleport), I am of course glad that DC isn't exactly the same as it was when I started.

I do not, however, see taking away an already-earned trophy and forcing users to re-earn it every single year as a positive change, in any possible way. No matter what the "numbers" are.

The inactivity thing was a passing thought, not anything serious. But since it's out there:

Expiration wouldn't happen after inactivity, it'd mean that a gold trophy means raising 500 dragons (or something, the numbers would probably need to be re-balanced) in the past year.

It'd give people something to work for; they'd have to keep raising dragons to keep their trophies.

I think you'll probably piss off a lot of older players to be honest, especially ones transitioning from high school to college, or college to working life, or starting families. I'm a regular player and even I go through periods where I'm not as active in the game. So, imagine someone taking a few months off, up to a year because they have started a career and had a baby, and then coming back when their life has settled down only to find their gold trophy is gone. Penalizing them for, basically, getting on with life will probably just make them give up on the game altogether. 500 dragons in a year is a lot, especially if you are only able to play sporadically.

I'd really like this idea of tjs, if it was just for a platinum trophy. Raise 1000 dragons a year, be platinum,get 8 slots. For the older trophies, not so much. Changing those, for some players really hard earned trophies around can only end up in a mass exitus by those who cant or wont keep up.

There's also a massive psychological change involved between a game that people are overall addicted to, which may often be boring/frustrating but can play as they please,

and one then having control by the site owner introduced over player's individual choices within that game and their personal game-play, even if for a quota that he may regard as an easily achievable goal.

The player has now not only the accumulated dissatisfaction with a recreational activity where the game mechanisms often prevent him/her from actually playing,

(including major and seemingly gratuitous issues, as with the chronic Cave Blocker issue; more understandable ones, such as with difficulty, possibly extending over months or even longer, in successfully breeding particularly desirable dragons; and those between, such as Refusals which may involve Limited Edition dragons which prevent some valued dragons finally attained, sometimes at great cost, from ever being bred at all)

- but is then told that now s/he may lose much or everything of what s/he's actually achieved if s/he doesn't catch an annual set quota.

The number required isn't necessarily the issue; the fact of an imposed quota in a free-style collecting game on a family site definitely is.

Now, the players have a mandated catch and raise number, regardless of whether they may want to collect these dragons, or even be onsite much when Cave hunting's become generally regarded as a massive and typically fruitless bore - and as has been pointed out, that turns the game into an unpaid job, an obligation, and one which now may potentially have further obligations imposed on what's supposed to be something done for fun in leisure time.

If people are taking time off, or not collecting much because they can't get much of anything they'd actually like or could use, finding that Cave hunting's frequently a pointless pain, due to Blockers resulting in endless hours of refreshing with little or nothing gained and an inability to get dragons they want or need, with low odds perhaps of even seeing, never mind catching, anything in demand

(no, not just metallics and Blusangs, but things like Trihorns, Blacks, or Pinks, especially if they play in the wee earlies and often also the whole of the long dark tea-time of the DC night when there are often few people on, but some of those few with better systems are typically faster, and often virtually anything not a Blocker that finally turns up gets snapped up because anything not-a-Blocker is relatively infrequent and something has to be taken by someone's unwilling sacrifice in order to get the biome moving to show each next dragon, even if it's likely to be yet another Blocker,)

and because their Shimmers/metallics and/or lineage dragons don't often produce, so there doesn't seem much point in being here all that often, because people generally want something fun and rewarding in their spare time, and need a break from stress and frustration during at least this period,

and they are then told that they HAVE to raise and keep a set number of dragons regardless of their own desires, or otherwise lose dragons they spent a lot of time and effort gaining, including those which are not even replaceable, such as CB Holidays, or which are valued gifts,

they might be more likely to decide that the time would be better spent in paid work, because that tips the balance in how they spend what's their free time in which to do as they please.

In RL, most lower-income people (now typically a majority in even the wealthiest industrialized countries, where long-stagnant wages in a time of greatly increasing productivity have formed a further source of increasing profit for a very few, to varying - but increasing - degrees, if perhaps most pronounced in the US) have very little control over much, if anything, in their lives, with an increasing number of employers bizarrely beginning to exert control over aspects of even people's personal lives, even in their personal time.

A lack of control over one's own life and personal choices is so damaging as to be a major factor in ill health/premature mortality, as demonstrated by the Whitehall studies, among others, and is relative in effect as to degree.

Self-determination is essential to human health and happiness, making this a major issue.

This is pretty basic... and I hope and rather suspect that this passing idea will end in ships (however pronounced, lol) passing, rather than crashing, in the night...

I really don't like TJ's idea of having to keep raising dragons to keep your trophy. It would not be a problem for me because I do a lot of breeding for personal lineages and collect a lot of CBs of every breed, too. But many people don't choose to play that way and may only want a limited number of each dragon. That has been one of the best things about this game -- the ability to play in many different ways, depending on your personal preferences. Being forced to raise 500 (or even 50!) dragons a year in order to keep your trophy would destroy what is best about the game. Please don't do that!

The inactivity thing was a passing thought, not anything serious. But since it's out there:

Expiration wouldn't happen after inactivity, it'd mean that a gold trophy means raising 500 dragons (or something, the numbers would probably need to be re-balanced) in the past year.

It'd give people something to work for; they'd have to keep raising dragons to keep their trophies.

Hey TJ, if you'd like me to be more active. Let me play the game my way, eh? You do keep saying that's how this game is supposed to go, but that's not what you're allowing the players to do.

I do have a rather cynical idea of what else that inactivity plan could have to do with, but I'll refrain.

Just let me collect the new releases when I can and call it a day. I refuse to pick up the blocker trash for the sake of picking it up.

Edited by Amut un Rama

Hey TJ, if you'd like me to be more active. Let me play the game my way, eh? You do keep saying that's how this game is supposed to go, but that's not what you're allowing the players to do.

I do have a rather cynical idea of what else that inactivity plan could have to do with, but I'll refrain.

Just let me collect the new releases when I can and call it a day. I refuse to pick up the blocker trash for the sake of picking it up.

This is TJ's game, not yours. I'm sure TJ have a million reason to support himself on this one.

This site has been TJ's for the past few years now, and it's been just fine.

By the way commons are NOT trash, they are dragon just like the gold, trios, and holly.

They're actually even more powerful than the rares, because they can breed better, live in more places. So NEVER EVER CALL A COMMON TRASH!

TJ made this game, yes, but he made it for OTHER users, which means he's trying to do all he can to keep people playing. His idea was just a suggestion, and when you think about it, it is quite logical: Have a system where if people want the reward they have to continue collecting dragons (the sole purpose of the game) to keep that reward.

BUT, like any idea, it has its flaws, which have been pointed out.

No one needs to attack TJ/his idea, and no one needs to attack someone for countering TJ/his idea. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

And if Amut thinks the blockers are trash, then they think the blockers are trash. That is their opinion. It's not good, bad, right, or wrong. You may believe they are NOT trash. That's fine too. But you don't have to attack their belief...

My view is, no, I don't think TJ's idea would go over very well. It's good in theory, but in practice would probably lead to many people ragequitting the game because they got their 500 dragons and finally got their trophy, and now have to work for it again! I JUST finally got my Gold trophy, and it's the end of the year. I would lose the trophy and have to collect 500 again next year...

As for cave blockers? Well they aren't really the point here, except for maybe the badge where you can collect certain dragon breeds...but I really don't like picking eggs I don't want to pick up, either. I don't particularly like many of the common dragons. I don't care if they're caveborn, from the AP, shimmerfails, something with a beautiful lineage...if I don't like it, I don't want it. I wouldn't call them trash, but I don't want them.

I know that you say that the numbers would need to be re-balanced, But I feel like the ridiculousness of a number anywhere close to 500 in a year is worth addressing.

If one has a gold trophy and enough reds to incubate every egg you can raise 7 eggs from Cave/Breeding to Adult in 5 days. that means at MAX, making sure to replace eggs the moment they hatch, you can raise ~1200 dragons in a year. This would mean that people couldn't really clear there scrolls for releases, do neglected experiments, or hold eggs for trading purposes.

700 extra dragons may seem like a nice buffer for all intents and purposes, but it shrinks rapidly when you look at how real people play, for myself I know that I lose quite a few hours each month just for releases. I am one of those people that like to be on the site at midnight for releases, so that means that my scroll needs to be clear before hand, losing me probably 6 hours a month per slot. And since I am not a magic click wizard I cant catch all seven at the stroke of midnight, so lets say that on average I lose 2 hours hunting for them. If incubated, and I remember to put them in click sites beforehand and not ER them, those eggs will hatch Early Tuesday morning. Since I need go to work Wends I can't be up to replace them the second they hatch so I don't get to untill usually after work Wends, losing me another 15 hours. So, just for releases each month every eggslot loses right around a full day. 12 days over a year, boom, I just lost 40 dragons just because of release logistics. From this example I think its easy to see how that buffer can quickly melt away.

Now, at this point you can grab eggs form the AP that are ERable and/or Incuhatchable, which comes with a bottleneck of 21 slots. Theoretically one could raise a max of 2550 hatchies in a year, BUT this number would mean forgoing all trading, breeding, and catching. Also, one can imagine that if this was implemented that the AP would clear out a significant amount, so that available AP eggs would probably increase to over 5-6 days.

Basically, the math just doesn't work for making people raise 500 dragons in a year. Even dropping it to closer to 400 would make the game more about obsessively puppy-milling dragons and would ultimately turn most people off from the game. to make it viable you'd need to drop the cap to closer to 200 and I feel like most of us do that without really trying anyway.

TL:DR- Anything close to what is being suggested is a sure fire way to get Dragcave.net sent to the internet graveyard right along with Myspace and Pets.com. I do not mean this in an aggressive way at all, more as an inevitability of mathematics/human psychology

*edited because my formula was off and gave more rage inducing numbers

Edited by rumor33

TJ made this game, yes, but he made it for OTHER users, which means he's trying to do all he can to keep people playing. His idea was just a suggestion, and when you think about it, it is quite logical: Have a system where if people want the reward they have to continue collecting dragons (the sole purpose of the game) to keep that reward.

BUT, like any idea, it has its flaws, which have been pointed out.

No one needs to attack TJ/his idea, and no one needs to attack someone for countering TJ/his idea. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

And if Amut thinks the blockers are trash, then they think the blockers are trash. That is their opinion. It's not good, bad, right, or wrong. You may believe they are NOT trash. That's fine too. But you don't have to attack their belief...

My view is, no, I don't think TJ's idea would go over very well. It's good in theory, but in practice would probably lead to many people ragequitting the game because they got their 500 dragons and finally got their trophy, and now have to work for it again! I JUST finally got my Gold trophy, and it's the end of the year. I would lose the trophy and have to collect 500 again next year...

As for cave blockers? Well they aren't really the point here, except for maybe the badge where you can collect certain dragon breeds...but I really don't like picking eggs I don't want to pick up, either. I don't particularly like many of the common dragons. I don't care if they're caveborn, from the AP, shimmerfails, something with a beautiful lineage...if I don't like it, I don't want it. I wouldn't call them trash, but I don't want them.

Just wanted to mention, I think you are a bit confused. It would work as in a year's time, not at the end of the year you have to do it again.

That being said I think that doing this for the three basic trophies is a bad idea. If he were to put this towards a platinum trophy I would support, but otherwise I'd have to say no, I don't like the idea.

I do not like the idea of having to re-earn my trophies. Nope, not one little bit. I earned it, and I'm keepin' it, thanks very much. It would be super frustrating to have to re-earn it every year.

I also don't care for the idea of having to earn higher level trophies each year. I doubt if I raise 1000 dragons per year. I don't want locked out of a platinum trophy unless I bow to pressure and raise more than I choose.

So, if you want something that has to be earned fresh each year, how about something that isn't tied to egg/hatchling limits? How about Accomplishments? You get a cute little badge thing for a basic Accomplishment, and fancier ones replace that for fancier Accomplishments. They aren't tied to limits, they're just nice to look at. If you want to tie them to something, find something else to tie them to besides egg limits. Or let them give a boost to something. Just don't take away something from us, as the idea of re-earning trophies would do.

I know that you say that the numbers would need to be rebalanced, But I feel like the ridiculousness of a number anywhere close to 500 in a year is worth adressing.

If one has a gold trophy and enough reds to incubate every egg you can raise 7 eggs from Cave/Breeding to Adult in 5 days. that means at MAX, making sure to replace eggs the moment they hatch, you can raise 511 dragons in a year. Now, I enjoy the site, but I don't have the kind of devotion/time for that level of commitment. And, this would mean that people couldn't really clear there scrolls for releases, do neglected experiments, or hold eggs for trading purposes. If you don't have Incubates at all that max drops to 425, making the retention of a gold trophy impossible without 50+ reds.

Now, at this point you can grab eggs form the AP that are ERable and/or Incuhatchable, which comes with a bottleneck of 21 slots. Theoretically one could raise a max of 2550 hatchies in a year, BUT this number would mean forgoing all trading, breeding, and catching. Also, one can imagine that if this was implemented that the AP would clear out a significant amount, so that available AP eggs would probably increase to over 5-6 days.

Basically, the math just doesn't work for making people raise 500 dragons in a year.

Am I doing my math wrong/have I missed something totally obvious?

Using your schedule for raising dragons:

As you said, at minimum if you incubate 7 day eggs and use fansites early on/ERs it takes 5 days to raise one dragon. Let's assume we're not staking our grabs (because then the math is going to get messy) and you raise 7 dragons in 5 days. Without doing the math, before the AP was incuhatchable, I nearly always had room to grab more eggs once my eggs hatched since I was just grabbing 7 eggs, hatching, rinse and repeating. So let's assume that every 2 days you can grab 7 new eggs. (365/2)*7 comes out to about 1277 eggs hatched/hatchlings gained in the year. Each hatchling now needs 3 days to grow up. The last two days you won't get those hatchlings to adults in time. That's 14 hatchlings that then wouldn't count. 1277 - 14 = 1263 dragons raised in the year.

So without incubate you then have raised (365/3)*7 = 851 eggs in a year with 851 - 14 = 837 making it to adulthood in that time.

If you wanted to aim for just 500 we solve:

500 = (365/x)*7

x = 365/(500/7) = 5

You need to... pick up 7 eggs every 5 days?

(I got about the same answer for your ~2550 number for max you could raise using AP incuhatchable stuff strategically - got 2555 technically - so I'm not sure why our other numbers are different. o.o)

Not saying that is or isn't reasonable still (putting it down like this does seem like 500 in a year doesn't give people appropriate time if they do neglected experiments, get viewbombed, vacays, breaks, things happening to their internet, being too busy to play...), I'm just wondering if I've completely fussed up my calculations?

Nope! I completely fussed up mine, I was calculating based on the complete raising cycle of the Dragon, 5 days, and not for the fact that you could pick up more every two days...this is what I get for trying to do this mostly in my head :/ editing my big-old rant now.

Edited by rumor33

I know that you say that the numbers would need to be rebalanced, But I feel like the ridiculousness of a number anywhere close to 500 in a year is worth addressing.

If one has a gold trophy and enough reds to incubate every egg you can raise 7 eggs from Cave/Breeding to Adult in 5 days. that means at MAX, making sure to replace eggs the moment they hatch, you can raise 511 dragons in a year. Now, I enjoy the site, but I don't have the kind of devotion/time for that level of commitment. And, this would mean that people couldn't really clear there scrolls for releases, do neglected experiments, or hold eggs for trading purposes. If you don't have Incubates at all that max drops to 425, making the retention of a gold trophy impossible without 50+ reds. 

Basically, the math just doesn't work for making people raise 500 dragons in a year. Even dropping it to closer to 400 would make the game more about obsessively puppy-milling dragons and would ultimately turn most people off from the game. to make it viable you'd need to drop the cap to closer to 200 and I feel like most of us do that without really trying anyway. 

TL:DR- Anything close to what is being suggested is a sure fire way to get Dragcave.net sent to the internet graveyard right along with Myspace and Pets.com. I do not mean this in an aggressive way at all, more as an inevitability of mathematics/human psychology

Uh, your numbers are way off. For one thing you're forgetting the AP, which in its current state is almost instantly incuhatchable (well, within an hour). I've been seeing plenty of new players get their gold trophies in under four months of playing, indicating that it is quite easy now to raise 500 dragons in less than a year. I'm against taking the gold trophy away for other reasons, but it's very easy to raise 500 dragons in a year.

edit just saw your comment lol. I'm bad at math as well *hugs*

Edited by platedlizard

Uh, your numbers are way off. For one thing you're forgetting the AP, which in its current state is almost instantly incuhatchable (well, within an hour). I've been seeing plenty of new players get their gold trophies in under four months of playing, indicating that it is quite easy now to raise 500 dragons in less than a year.

I didn't forget about the AP, there is a whole paragraph about that. It's important to remember that the only reason that there are so many incuhatchable eggs in the AP is because they've been sitting there for days. If something like this were implemented we'd see fewer people putting eggs into the AP and More eggs being taken, leading to the AP's average time increasing quite a bit.

And on top of that, I really have no desire to do nothing but hatch AP eggs for months. I have my own scroll goals to reach and breeding I'd like to do, make it so that I need to spend half the year choked in eggs I don't want and I'll probably stop playing.

This is TJ's game, not yours. I'm sure TJ have a million reason to support himself on this one.

This site has been TJ's for the past few years now, and it's been just fine.

By the way commons are NOT trash, they are dragon just like the gold, trios, and holly.

They're actually even more powerful than the rares, because they can breed better, live in more places. So NEVER EVER CALL A COMMON TRASH!

Hi, I Want Cheese Dragon,

just to mention, DC is TJ's brainchild and baby.

He created it while in school and it's always been his.

Personally, I think that shows absolute genius.

However, while TJ seems to be always thinking of different things to do/ways to do things, which is great, he has no way of knowing how the various players, individually or as a whole, will be affected by changes he's considering, unless said users let him know.

That said, there's certainly no need for anyone to come off sounding almost antagonistic, although it's possible that Amut didn't actually intend it that way.

But many people are overloaded with encroachments into their personal decision-making and economic and other stressors which just seem to keep increasing, and are therefore becoming progressively either more depressed or upset about such issues, so a suggestion of this nature is particularly likely to hit an extremely sore spot in many cases.

Also, just guessing, but - since the DC concept was something that TJ created when he was much younger, certain aspects which may have been integral to his original vision and which may conflict with the priorities of the great bulk of users may be that much harder for him to see objectively.

His original creation was apparently meant to be played by his school-mates but for years has been played by people of all ages all over the world, involving a different and much wider base, including people who play no other games, but enjoy DC for many reasons.

One major one may be the fact that once the dragons have grown, they require no further maintenance and cannot die unless killed, unlike some other pet sites which require regular activity to keep virtual pets alive and aren't worth the hassle, in my view, at least.

Another may be because those who are non-competitive and/or have older/slower systems can engage in many of the activities, such as breeding and trading, and catching at least a number of the sort of commoner dragons new people generally start with, without having to think in terms of having to 'beat' anyone else or be 'beaten', but perhaps more in terms of community.

A large part of this base, encompassing those from the old to the young, includes many adults with often limited recreational time/physical capacities, also less likely than perhaps adolescents might be to be amused by hours spent refreshing Blockers, for example, or spending months searching for New Releases they've been unable to catch, or any prospect of being assigned a minimum number of dragons to catch annually, on pain of losing what they've already collected.

Certainly, it's TJ's site and he can obviously do as he pleases, but certain long-standing issues have been causing more and more people to lose interest, going on hiatus more and for longer periods, and often only returning for New Releases, so as not to miss out on dragons, and to - importantly - come in at a time when the biomes are more likely to be moving, although even then, just when most people are least likely to have room to pick up even a single Blocker, once the Flood is over, the Blockers return.

So, if enacted, this type of attempt to force people back for regular play is likely to simply place a cap on any remaining interest many people may have, and this includes those who have stuck out many extremely boring periods on the site - including virtual shut-downs - because they do enjoy the game to the extent possible, see what it could be, and want to be able to collect and keep the dragons they actually want, at the times they want/need them/when they first come out.

Probably most people now live under enough stress, and suffer a sufficient lack of autonomy, that the last thing they need is to have more added into what they do to relax and 'get away from it all'.

Just wanted to mention, I think you are a bit confused. It would work as in a year's time, not at the end of the year you have to do it again.

It doesn't really matter WHEN it happens. It just means that in the next year I have to get 500 dragons AGAIN to keep my trophy. I'm NOT a hardcore player and I go inactive for quite a while at times. Since it's the end of the year, and I just got the trophy, it would still mean that it's highly possible I will lose the trophy I JUST got. I have important things like school to deal with, but I still want to play this game, so I'm not just going to be like "well it's just an unimportant game anyway".

Anything where you have to maintain stuff to KEEP a reward is NOT a good idea, in practice. Sounds like a great incentive but it REALLY isn't.

Everyone seems to have overlooked a few points while simultaneously flipping out over a passing idea I had late one night.

For example, latching onto specific numbers is pointless when I already said that the badges would probably be retuned to be reasonable amounts for 1 year.

Also, no matter your playstyle, it presumably involves raising dragons. If it doesn't, I'm not quite sure what you are doing instead, or why your not-raising-dragons strategy requires 7 egg slots if you aren't using them.

Third, certain playstyles already preclude certain trophies. My collection methodology is unlikely to hit gold trophy for a long time, but oh well. I think that if the game catered to every possible method of playing and refused to shake things up for fear of people being unwilling to adapt how they play, things would go stale.

But really, you all should be focusing your energy on the other thoughts presented in this thread, like the per-breed trophies or whatever.

Edited by TJ09

Everyone seems to have overlooked a few points while simultaneously flipping out over a passing idea I had late one night.

For example, latching onto specific numbers is pointless when I already said that the badges would probably be retuned to be reasonable amounts for 1 year.

Also, no matter your playstyle, it presumably involves raising dragons. If it doesn't, I'm not quite sure what you are doing instead, or why your not-raising-dragons strategy requires 7 egg slots if you aren't using them.

I'm still standing by stuff I said in my (non-freaked-out) brainstorm. There're better ways to motivate people, and regardless of what amounts you put on it, taking away something is a bad idea. (Also, "probably" makes me even more wary of the idea and I have no idea what "reasonable amounts" are when they'd vary so much between players and especially when all of those players based their playing styles on the assumption that limits would be tied to a not-needing-to-repeatedly-achieve-this-goal type of accomplishment.)

Regarding the last paragraph - what happens if someone's left the game for a year and a half and want to come back (it happens)? Then they're not concerned about the slots they had or didn't have while they were gone. They're concerned about the ones they had now, and about the effort going into re-achieving those slots. Or what happens if someone is a low-rate-of-collection type player who doesn't need all their slots most of the time but has a period where they want to change that? They might get gifted lots of stuff for their birthday, or a new release might inspire them to change their playing style for a bit because they just really like a certain sprite, or maybe they have less real-life commitments or just change their mind and now want to use all the slots that would have been available to them if they had kept the trophy they used to have.

Third, certain playstyles already preclude certain trophies. My collection methodology is unlikely to hit gold trophy for a long time, but oh well. I think that if the game catered to every possible method of playing and refused to shake things up for fear of people being unwilling to adapt how they play, things would go stale.

But really, you all should be focusing your energy on the other thoughts presented in this thread, like the per-breed trophies or whatever.

No - my objection is to the suggestion that the existing trophy rule could be changed. If you want to bring out a trophy for regular activity (you get it for raising x dragons in a year, and you can only keep it by carrying on) - that's fine. I'd likely go for it ! (not that I work for trophies but I actually might !)

But to change the way you get a trophy that many of us already have, in ways that might take it away again (and lose us those extra egg slots that make the game more fun) - well, to bring in another IRL analogy - I have a slew of music diplomas. In one case, the rules were that if I got two matched ones (one practical and one theoretical) that would have bumped me up to a higher one. I was working on that - but I had two children, and I was sick, and...

I had to retake one last paper to get there. I did. In the mere 6 months that it took to get the slot for my resit, the rules were changed and you could no longer get the higher diploma that way. I have NEVER seen that as fair. It is not OK to move existing goalposts. Make a new goal instead.

Edited by fuzzbucket