Umbreonage

Badge (and Trophy) Suggestion Thread

I will support the no kill suggestion people are suggesting for this. There's a few... any of them work for me. I do like the "cook" option best though wink.gif it's funny, yet harmless and is like the Splash/Magicarp BSA.

My chickens and I are all against this. The chickens especially do not like the idea of KFC being involved with the Cave, since this is one place that has been a safe haven from that kind of conglomerate butchery.

I do like Fuzzbucket's idea of a badge for the successfully grown chickens, maybe a badge for The Order of the Hen for those who successfully nurture flocks of a certain size. <3

Maybe an alternative would be to have a BSA for the chickens. An option to "fry" them or something and then for 24 hours they appear as a cooked chicken sprite (similar to what we had at Christmas). Then after a certain number, you get the KFC badge. I'd prefer a system like that than killing them. It just seems really counterproductive to the game to collect a heap of chickens just to kill them and remove them from your scroll again.

I have a no kill policy for my scroll soh.....yeah I wouldn't support obtaining a badge for killing something...along with the chicken already being rare as it is. People would be catching chickens for just the killz and then people who actually want the chicken because they LOVES them is kinda...well...harsh? I like the idea I quoted however, no harm done in a temporary "dinner" BSA.

A BSA would be better, because many people like me don't have chickens. They are already considered rare.

Maybe an alternative would be to have a BSA for the chickens. An option to "fry" them or something and then for 24 hours they appear as a cooked chicken sprite (similar to what we had at Christmas). Then after a certain number, you get the KFC badge. I'd prefer a system like that than killing them. It just seems really counterproductive to the game to collect a heap of chickens just to kill them and remove them from your scroll again.

I like this idea best. I would have fun frying up my chicks just as long as I know that they will rise like a phoenix from the ashes.

I like this idea best. I would have fun frying up my chicks just as long as I know that they will rise like a phoenix from the ashes.

And that is why I don't care for the "fry" idea much. It makes no sense whatsoever. At least splash is a move that doesn't harm the user. Frying would kill the chicken and I don't see how it is supposed to survive. I know that chickens being here at all is something of a stretch, but I think this is pushing the bounds.

Edited by Nectaris

And that is why I don't care for the "fry" idea much.  It makes no sense whatsoever.  At least splash is a move that doesn't harm the user.  Frying would kill the chicken and I don't see how it is supposed to survive.  I know that chickens being here at all is something of a stretch, but I think this is pushing the bounds.

Perhaps because they are "space chickens" and have restorative properties.

Yep, it's a reach, but they did turn into dinner at Christmas time only to be revived so technically if it has happened before it could happen again.

Edit: Actually, it can make sense since we use magic to revive zombies. One of your crazy chickens could have ticked off a dragon bad enough that he roasted it and the next day you review it... though it would be interesting if you had a chance of creating a zombie chicken on Halloween. But, then you would also stand a chance at loosing your chicken due to a complete fail which takes us back to the beginning.

Edited by Sir Barton

And that is why I don't care for the "fry" idea much. It makes no sense whatsoever. At least splash is a move that doesn't harm the user. Frying would kill the chicken and I don't see how it is supposed to survive. I know that chickens being here at all is something of a stretch, but I think this is pushing the bounds.

I agree with this. I have only caught one chicken in all my time here. I would love to have more but I can't catch them. Catching them just to kill them seems wrong to me, and a slap in the face to all those who would love to have them but have a hard time. At the most I would say maybe have a 'scramble' BSA. You scramble their eggs, seeing as there are no roosters around the eggs would be infertile anyway. Not that that really matters, you can eat fertile eggs too. But I really don't like this idea, I think we have plenty of useless BSA already.

Agreed as well! I have 0 chickens and it would be a lot nicer for a BSA.

If this could be implemented, chickens should be more common than now;;;

Because chicken aren't breedable;;

Rare->Very uncommon?

Edited by sh20000sh

~A badge for having every adult species of dragon (what happens when new dragons are released?)

(I'm sorry if this idea has been thrown out there before, I didn't read all 20 pages for it)

How about you get the badge when you first get all the dragons, but when new ones are release the badge gets 'faded' out. Basically the same badge would be on your scroll but at about 50-75% the regular opacity. That way you could still show that you had it at one point, but people could see it wasn't current.

The badge could return to 100% opacity when the new breeds are collected. I think that a similar idea would work for the suggested holiday badges.

Grammar Patrol : a badge for "x amount of descriptions reviewed" (that was suggested in the thread where the topic was about creating a counter).

Nominator: a badge for ">90% of dragons named" (because some have codes and new ones might need a hort time before you name them).

Generosity: a badge for creating x amount of one way teleports that are actually claimed

Merchant: a badge for participating in x two-way trades (either initiated or offered)

I think there should be another achievable trophy, like one once you reach 1000 dragons.

Same benefits, +1 eggs allowed, +3 total.

I think more egg/hatchhie slots has already been nixed. Unless TJ changes his mind.

While I think that the limits in gold would be annoying, it's part of what makes the game fun. And what would there be beyond gold? Platinum? But after that, people will want more, and it wouldn't work.

~Merged. Please make use of the search feature before creating new topics.~

Yes, AFAIK, TJ is okay with more trophies, but not upped limits.

Just brought this one up in the chatroom to TJ bout how about a Badge for owning the most of One Breed.

There are constant discussions in the chatroom with the Turpentine Queen hunting more eggs, same with the Pillow Queen and the Neo Queen. One player just challenged they were going for the Turpentine Queen title and did not realize how far she had to go to catch the Reigning one.

An Actual Trophy on the Scroll signaling you are the one with the most of that Breed would maximize the Certainty for players who Grab one breed more than any other.

A Second Suggestion, this one bought up by TJ09 himself in the chat:

01:40:14 TJ09 I should make badges expire after a certain time period.

01:40:19 TJ09 trophies that is

01:40:31 TJ09 to keep your gold trophy, gotta keep raising dragons.

I then Said that if a User has not been active on the Site for One Year, they should lose their Gold Trophy. Yes you would have to Re-earn it, which means get a new 500 Dragons for that pretty Gold Trophy. But think about it, how many players have shown up, gotten a few eggs then left for more than a year before returning. It would reward the active players and motivate people to keep playing or risk losing the high amount of Eggs and Hatchlings that they can have and be sent back to basics.

The inactivity thing was a passing thought, not anything serious. But since it's out there:

Expiration wouldn't happen after inactivity, it'd mean that a gold trophy means raising 500 dragons (or something, the numbers would probably need to be re-balanced) in the past year.

It'd give people something to work for; they'd have to keep raising dragons to keep their trophies.

I don't like the idea of having to keep breeding a ridiculous number of redundant scroll stuffers I don't really want to keep the egg cap honestly. I like to think of them as milestones instead of titles.

Edited by BlindWolf

Hm, I'm not opposed to dynamic badges, although I'm a little afraid of making trophies/other pre-existing badges dynamic. But as long as it's not a ridiculous task that won't make me too anxious (500 dragons in the past year is fine), though, I'm not against it. x3

Re: TJ's post:

Since this is a collection-based game, won't most people will always have goals they're working towards? For those who like to collect a certain set number of each sprite and not go over, if they've gotten all their goals the new releases gives them something. Maybe that wouldn't be enough for them though?

I've not been at this game, or, I think, any collection-based game, as long as others have been here; maybe there is an eventual sense of monotony that some people get that I wouldn't have expected. But if that's the case, wouldn't you lose those players anyway? I'm not sure collecting x number of dragons in a year just to be able to collect them at a faster rate would be enough if that player doesn't really feel like collecting them anyway.

Maybe you're just looking to keep people who are here and already motivated feeling *more* motivated. In that case though I think I have a personal bias towards things that... I'm not sure how to describe it, but I think the general idea is things that feel more organic. Like the frequent releases we've been having lately (although that might not keep people feeling engaged in the between times) or, inspired by Wandererbeta's post, get a badge when you reach a certain number/numbers of a breed that you've chosen in advance as a personal goal, or on-site implementation of some of the types of projects and suggestions that people have going on in the forums. I don't at all think a trophy that you have to put in continuing effort to keep is a bad idea inherently, but to have that change now would feel to some people like we were losing something (a trophy we didn't have to work to keep) that we already had, which isn't as fun.

I realize this is an awful lot of words about something that was said to be not a serious idea. I *just* got done discovering a website about making games - mostly I read about monetization but still it put me in the mood for this post I guess. Sorry for rambling.... um.. brainstorming is fun?

It'd give people something to work for; they'd have to keep raising dragons to keep their trophies.

Do we really need an internet job in addition to our real life jobs? Can't we just play a game at our own pace instead of mindlessly raise random dragons just to match a Five-Year Plan?

Hi, TJ, diaveborn brings up a major point.

People who only like to collect a few of each dragon sprite, or who might lose too much time on DC due to injury, illness, lack of time, internet, energy, interest, because of a lengthy hiatus/being out of the country or other reasons would likely lose many of their dragons, right down to the Silver limits, (assuming they'd go to the next trophy level down, and not simply lose everything) for not collecting 500 dragons a year - and what reason would they have then for coming back?

Also, we've always been able to choose our own play-styles, and having goals set for players opens up another can of worms...

TJ, that's one passing thought I really hope you let pass.

If the biomes move and there are dragons people want being Released and dragons people are likely to want (rather than an excess of some types turning into Blockers and chronically gumming up the works,) regularly Dropping in a reasonable ratio, and people can catch them, and breed and gift, trade and socialize in a pleasant atmosphere, people will play.

Heck, many have been here for years, despite long-running conditions which have included almost never being able to get into the Cave at all, among other issues, although such things do wear progressively thinner over time.

But if people have to be forced to play a collection game to a specified minimum amount, which may be well over the scroll goals of some, rather than lose possibly thousands of dragons they've collected over the years, there might be other issues to address?

The game is supposed to be fun, not something done by rote... or to fill quotas.

Edit: for years, people have had problems with Cave Blocking, followed by Blockers making hunting an absolute bore which many people stopped bothering with very often, or even at all, while increasingly bored and unhappy hunters picked up and held unwanted eggs in limited, precious spaces in the hope of getting something that they did want, usually getting another Blocker instead.

If there was variety and movement and lots of *wanted* and not too many 'Blocker' dragons in the biomes, and there were Releases that didn't often discourage the heck out of people unable to catch them in a reasonable period, don't you think that this would make a difference in giving people something to be here and hunting - and catching - dragons for?

Recreation is for fun and relaxation, and most people do actually want to be frequently rewarded for efforts in leisure-time collection games, not just to waste time endlessly pressing buttons to little or purpose until any self-respecting lab ape would recognize futility.

We come here to get away from stress and frustration...

DC is a brilliant concept, and people have stuck with it for years because of this.

But there is room for improvement, and demanding quotas from players strikes me as a move in entirely the wrong direction.

Edited by Syphoneira

Okay, REALLY not liking the whole "take away my hard-earned trophy" idea!! What the heck?!

Some of us *aren't* "power players" and don't always have our scrolls locked. Some users can't get online every single day, some users only feel comfortable raising a certain number of eggs at a time (I'm a flailing MESS during holiday releases 'cause I personally hate being locked, having that many important eggs to be responsible for).

Some people worked REALLY HARD for that gold trophy, they didn't just power-breed every single week it took them a LONG time to EARN that trophy. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would go "well I'm not working that hard AGAIN for a trophy I already earned!".

I already said in that other thread that I'm in favor of higher trophies (to a certain point). Please PLEASE let us keep the trophies we've earned fair and square.

Besides, it's not really fair (at all!) to change the rules in the middle of the game. A gold trophy is for 500+ non-growing dragons on your scroll. The "egg limits" page says, in part, "Trophy (gold) Required Dragons (500)". It's more then a little unfair to suddenly come in and say "wait! Those 500 dragons you spent all that time and effort collecting don't count anymore, if you want that trophy back you have to raise 500 more! This year! And then do it all over again next year!"

Uh, NO. That completely tears down the entire "different playstyles" attitude that's so much a part of DragonCave.

TJ, that's one passing thought I really hope you let pass.

If the biomes move and there are dragons people want being Released and dragons people are likely to want (rather than an excess of some types turning into Blockers and chronically gumming up the works,) regularly Dropping in a reasonable ratio, and people can catch them, and breed and gift, trade and socialize in a pleasant atmosphere, people will play.

Heck, many have been here for years, despite long-running conditions which have included almost never being able to get into the Cave at all, among other issues, although such things do wear progressively thinner over time.

But if people have to be forced to play a collection game to a specified minimum amount, which may be well over the scroll goals of some, rather than lose possibly thousands of dragons they've collected over the years, there might be other issues to address?

The game is supposed to be fun, not something done by rote... or to fill quotas.

Edit: ...

We come here to get away from stress and frustration...

DC is a brilliant concept, and people have stuck with it for years because of this.

But there is room for improvement, and demanding quotas from players strikes me as a move in entirely the wrong direction.

^^

I am in total agreement with Syphoniera's comments here.

When something has been achieved, let it stand for that.

I would rather see trophies added for higher scroll numbers, rather than turning trophies into some sort of annual renewals.