TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

befriend a mouse?

yes, some snakes (like my last one) was able to befriend a mouse. what i did was try feeding the snake outside of his cage so he knew not to bite anything in the cage. the first few times you put the mouse in the cage is a day after you feed it really well. once the mouse smells like the snake it should not bite unless the mouse bites it first. ((you don't have to but you can try and feed the snake 2 days early than you normally do the next time, though it might be best just to keep it on its normal diet unless you are changing the diet.))

luckly on the first try with the mouse my snake took to it. the two would sleep very close. though i was a mouse breeder and supplied a pet shop, i used to study the behavior of different groups of mice.

though now i only have 8 female mice that i care for and one has allergies and is blind. i ended up giving the snake and its mouse friend away to a good home. putting the mouse with the snake was one of the things i studyed though you might have to watch the behavior of both the snake and mouse. i had to be careful and for a few months watch it's behavior because the snake was a rescue and i did not know the last owners habits.

he probably don't like it because of the mess. though corn snakes don't get too big, my pet snake grew to 3 feet though he was the nicest thing ever. corn snakes don't like to bite anything other than mice. if you get one make shore that you hold it often and give it company you can train it to befriend a mouse if you don't get enough time.

plus there is only a mess after they go to the bathroom, but that is easy to clean.  wink.gif

No, he just doesn't like small animals in general, and he doesn't "get" reptile pets. He doesn't get why anyone would want one because they don't show emotion like dogs and cats can. He really doesn't like ANY pet other than dogs and cats. He barely tolerated the rabbit we had for a while and certainly didn't understand my Mom's devotion to her.

Edited by Nectaris

No, he just doesn't like small animals in general, and he doesn't "get" reptile pets. He doesn't get why anyone would want one because they don't show emotion like dogs and cats can. He really doesn't like ANY pet other than dogs and cats. He barely tolerated the rabbit we had for a while and certainly didn't understand my Mom's devotion to her.

sorry to hear! though reptiles do show there emotions you just have to pay attentions to the small details. small animals are just harder to read. most turtles like the one i have bob their heads and change the patterns of there blinks to show emotion. most people just don't pay them enough attention or care to really see the emotions.

I used to have a Ball Python named Cerberus, but I was living with my grandmother at the time and she made me get rid of him (on account of him getting out all the time and hiding in the washing machine, haha). Then I had a corn snake that I didn't really like that much, so I gave him away, too (which he turned out to be a she and her name is now Rexette).

I would absolutely LOVE to have Bearded Dragons (mostly because they're called Dragons!) but I read online that it's better if you have two, because they're less aggressive if they have a mate. I live in a teensy weensy apartment and I have no room for a tank that big.

I love lemurs, too, and would sign any form and get any license necessary to own a lemur. Or a lynx. Or a llama. Apparently, I have a thing for animals that start with the letter "L."

And a miniature pony! Okay, I'm done.

Sadly my rats died a while back, so the only 'exotic' animals I could say I have right now are my Muscovy Ducks. Even if they're not technically pets, they were hand reared and are just the cutest things <3 I love going out and feeding them mealworms and letteuce, they make the most adorable noises when they're begging for food!

They're just a bit too big to pick up anymore though ):

I've owned several parrots, a couple of ferrets, several rats and several blue tongue lizards in the past. Currently I own three rats, an iguana and a couple of geckos.

I'd probably do something like that.. that's too much like SAW though, lol!

Well whatever it may be the animal has to eat so either it be alive or just buy it frozen and toss it in there.

There's no excuse feeding a snake a live mouse when it can take pre-killed. None at all. dry.gif

Edited by GavinB

I've owned several parrots, a couple of ferrets, several rats and several blue tongue lizards in the past. Currently I own three rats, an iguana and a couple of geckos.

There's no excuse feeding a snake a live mouse when it can take pre-killed. None at all. dry.gif

sometimes it can't be helped

under some surcomstances snakes refuse to eat anything that is not warm with body heat. when they do that they tend to get aggressive because of no food, the pet shop keeper that i dealed with for a will could tell anyone that, she has been dealing with animals for a long time and her shop is not a corporation like pet smart. plus if you feed a snake something already dead that has been frozen or cold its not the healthiest for their digestive, you would have to have a heating rock or light on the snake even when your feeding it and long after.

granted it might be a good treat for them once in a will though the mouse is dead either way. if the mice are already dead when you get them from the pet shop then they might have just suffocated it or placed it in water to die, that's probably a far worse way to die than having its skull punctured by fangs.

but ya sometimes it can't be helped sorry to say

There's no excuse feeding a snake a live mouse when it can take pre-killed. None at all.  dry.gif

My aunt's snake doesn't eat frozen. It's live, or it starves to death.

On a different note, I don't think I have any 'exotic' pets. I have a couple hedgehogs, though. Lovely creatures, they are.

edited because one day i will learn how to type.

Edited by Xyzaq

I have a pet Cockatiel(exotic bird from Austrailia). She is now 2 years old! I don't agree with your friend and rats aren't that bad. smile.gif If it's their opinion it's their opinion but I think rats are kinda cute

i have a stick bug

and now a dragon egg smile.gif PLEASE_READ_THE_RULES_BEFORE_ATTEMPTING_TO_POST_YOUR_EGGS

~Eggspam removed.~

Edited by kiffren

I would say my only exotic pet is my red-ear slider turtle. I still can't debate whether it's a boy or a girl. A lot I have learned about them is one thing it is almost impossible to tell gender from a baby turtle. My turtle is a baby still even though I owned it for a year and 5 months. However, with the way I fed it quite a bit, it seemed to grow a little faster than normal so it is making me think what gender it really is. I always referred to my turtle as a he but I am beginning to think he might really be a she. I hope I got a female turtle, yet if that's the case, she'll be a monster. The girls are bigger than the boys. Girl power!

I read that for the families that live in America and for the 60 percent that own pets, 8 percent of that 60 own exotic animals. People actually own more of them than birds and I am very surprised being as I own birds myself as well.

I would say my only exotic pet is my red-ear slider turtle. I still can't debate whether it's a boy or a girl. A lot I have learned about them is one thing it is almost impossible to tell gender from a baby turtle. My turtle is a baby still even though I owned it for a year and 5 months. However, with the way I fed it quite a bit, it seemed to grow a little faster than normal so it is making me think what gender it really is. I always referred to my turtle as a he but I am beginning to think he might really be a she. I hope I got a female turtle, yet if that's the case, she'll be a monster. The girls are bigger than the boys. Girl power!

I read that for the families that live in America and for the 60 percent that own pets, 8 percent of that 60 own exotic animals. People actually own more of them than birds and I am very surprised being as I own birds myself as well.

watch the size of its tail and claws. female red eared turtles will have short tails and short claws. males have thick tails and long claws in order to attract mates.

the amount of food probably has little affect on the speed that it is growing too, most turtles sizes gets larger depending on the size of the aquarium.

Yep, and the female's underbelly will be flat, as opposed to the male's concave, and I think my turtle's is flat. I would know concave cuz my glasses are concave.

I wish I can find a larger aquarium for my turtle now. I've been using one of a standard size for it. I do need to watch out for my money though.

Yep, and the female's underbelly will be flat, as opposed to the male's concave, and I think my turtle's is flat. I would know concave cuz my glasses are concave.

I wish I can find a larger aquarium for my turtle now. I've been using one of a standard size for it. I do need to watch out for my money though.

'standard size'?

No exotic pets, just two dogs and a cat ^.^

But I'm working on getting a ferret right now because I just think they are so darn cute!

Next on my list after ferret is a horse. I absolutely love horses.

And, if I have enough room lol, I would like one of those pretty colorful parrots that can talk. Those things are awesome, and I heard they can be the greatest pets.

I have three rats and one ball python(and two cats and a dog but they aren't exotic). I want some kind of bird so bad, but I know my family wouldn't appreciate it. I'd also like a lizard maybe, or a horse. Maybe even a sugar glider.

And rats actually do smell pretty bad; at least mine do.

Blessed Be! ~Rain

And rats actually do smell pretty bad; at least mine do.

If you have got a sufficiently large cage which is cleaned regularly, they shouldn't. At one point I used to have four in... I think 60x80x70Cm cage, which I cleaned once a week. No notable smell at all.

I own an African Grey Parrot, and as the name implies, it's grey. xd.png

I don't have any pictures of him stored on my computer, though I've looked up pictures of parrots that look exactly like him. See here!

Also, I have an uncle who owns a large farm; aside from raising camels, ducks, rabbits and sheep, he also raises turtles, hedgehogs and lizards. Turtles and hedgehogs, everyone else knows; but the lizards my uncle raises can actually be eaten in my area. blink.gif I find it really gross, but I'd never tell that to my uncles' face. xd.png

I'm not sure what type of lizards are these, but we call them "dhab" in our country. In the wild, they live in the desert and prairies, and the external shape looks almost like an alligator when it stands.

Click here to see an image of one. (WARNING: Do not click if you have a fear of reptiles.)

And here's another picture to tell just how big these lizard could grow.

Time for a lil' chillin' with the ladehz. 8D

...Yeah, as you can tell, I'm from somewhere in the middle-east.

As for exotic pets I want? I really wish I owned a fennec fox. Those foxes are extremely rambunctious and adorable! <3

That picture is an incredibly obvious photoshop job.

Well, nothing I can do about it; I just got the image off Google so you guys could see what the lizards look like. xd.png Wasn't really paying attention to details.

under some surcomstances snakes refuse to eat anything that is not warm with body heat. when they do that they tend to get aggressive because of no food, the pet shop keeper that i dealed with for a will could tell anyone that, she has been dealing with animals for a long time and her shop is not a corporation like pet smart. plus if you feed a snake something already dead that has been frozen or cold its not the healthiest for their digestive, you would have to have a heating rock or light on the snake even when your feeding it and long after.

granted it might be a good treat for them once in a will though the mouse is dead either way. if the mice are already dead when you get them from the pet shop then they might have just suffocated it or placed it in water to die, that's probably a far worse way to die than having its skull punctured by fangs.

but ya sometimes it can't be helped sorry to say

That's why you thaw it, silly. You don't just give a snake a frozen animal to eat.

I've heard the "dead either way" excuse before, and not just for snake feedings either. I'm sorry, but that doesn't justify causing something a painful death or risking your pet to bites. From what I've read here you don't seem to know how mice/rats are euthanised, and I'll tell you now, it's not by drowning. It's done by either CO2 or cervical dislocation, far more humane than being frightened in an enclosed space and slowly crushed to death. Google is your friend. Go to some popular snake forums and see how it's done.

That's what lazy people say.

I've heard the "dead either way" excuse before, and not just for snake feedings either. I'm sorry, but that doesn't justify causing something a painful death or risking your pet to bites. From what I've read here you don't seem to know how mice/rats are euthanised, and I'll tell you now, it's not by drowning. It's done by either CO2 or cervical dislocation, far more humane than being frightened in an enclosed space and slowly crushed to death. Google is your friend. Go to some popular snake forums and see how it's done.

That's what lazy people say.

i looked it up once though i was talking about the example of the pet shop that got closed down up where i live. unfortunatly they did not believe in safe euthanizing, i made the mistake of going to that place when i was looking for feeder mice before my mice started producing. they had a bunch of dead mice in a tank of freaking water! sad.gif though thankfully they were closed down after a month or so, there was a lot of things wrong with the place and the way they had all the animals bad thing is they were a not a private busness either.

though on another subject.

i had worked with my snake when i still had it to attack the head of a animal to kill it fast, granted with one stick the mice stopped moving after 5 seconds or so. Zealth never liked anything already dead. but ya i looked it up though i probably should have been more clear on what i was talking about.

i swore that i would only deal with privet owned petshops after what i had seen.

i looked it up once though i was talking about the example of the pet shop that got closed down up where i live. unfortunatly they did not believe in safe euthanizing, i made the mistake of going to that place when i was looking for feeder mice before my mice started producing. they had a bunch of dead mice in a tank of freaking water! sad.gif though thankfully they were closed down after a month or so, there was a lot of things wrong with the place and the way they had all the animals bad thing is they were a not a private busness either.

though on another subject.

i had worked with my snake when i still had it to attack the head of a animal to kill it fast, granted with one stick the mice stopped moving after 5 seconds or so. Zealth never liked anything already dead. but ya i looked it up though i probably should have been more clear on what i was talking about.

i swore that i would only deal with privet owned petshops after what i had seen.

Wow, what a horrible pet store! Glad it was closed down. Probably broke quite a few laws in the process.

I recommend watching billflower's videos on YT, has some very informative stuff on live feeding.

thanks for the information

i will go check it out in a little in case i come across anymore rescue snakes.