TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

Watties <3 I has two.

Beowulf and Tristan. They're awesome. The best, most affectionate, fuzzy, friendly pets I've ever had.

My mom hated rats, didn't want any of 'em to our house, but once I got Beo and Tristan, she fell in love with them and now she cares from every time I have to get a caretaker for them when I leave home for longer periods of time.

Beowolf is awesome looking!

Here is what I have:

2 Rats 1 hairless (Penny) 1 common (G.E.M)

1 Jack Russel Terrier (Fergie)

1 Orange White Cat (Clyde)

1 Spur Thigh Tortise aka sulcata tortoise (Little Cow)

1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Saralc)

2 Phyllobates terribilis (Mint Dart Frogs) Dang it they are both female need a male) not named

1 Jacksons Chameleon (D.Ragon)

all in the same 140gallon tank are

2 Albino Oscars

2 Silver Disks

1 Striped Catfish

1 Plecostomus

1 Horse Tennessee Walker named CJ who is a large Dog atm since she is 13yrs old and has stifle issues and joint issues. See before we got her she had 5 babies and I had her for 4 years now. :/ But hey I have a horse! lol

I have a bearded dragon and a blue tongued skink. The beardie is adorable, but the skink can be a bit scary at times, what with the way he likes to smash, shake, and drown his live food to death.

I have:

1 x Albino Chequered Garter Snake

1 x Bredls Python

1 x Pastel Boa Constrictor

and:

1 x Curly Hair Tarantula

1 x Orange Baboon Spider

2 x Venezuelan Suntiger Tarantulas

1 x Chaco Gold knee

I did have 26 snakes at one point, and 3 Aquariums, I'm getting more spiders and snakes soon though biggrin.gif

Oh also, I have a colony of Cockroaches

I has a lil crested gecko <3 His name is Nova.

I really want a snake, a corn snake or ball python :3

Or a blue tongued skink, those things are just d'awwwww

8D

-Ra

I personally would love a Tiger biggrin.gif But not going to happen.

My step-mum once had chickens and geese thats about as exotic as we got lol

At the moment I have two corn snakes. I used to have:

• a bearded dragon
  • 2 zebra finches and 4 other finches
  • 2 desert lizards
  • 3 green anoles
  • a guinea pig

That's about it I think.

To those who have rats, is the short life span not kind of hard to take? (Personally I'd find it hard to get attached to pets only to have them die two or three years later. . .)

Edited by JOTB

To those who have rats, is the short life span not kind of hard to take? (Personally I'd find it hard to get attached to pets only to have them die two or three years later. . .)

It's hard, but worth it in my opinion.

However, for me it was even harder if I wasn't as prepared as I thought I was for vet bills. Ensuring longer healthier lives for them sometimes means trips to the vet for antibiotics if they're one of the unlucky ones with respiratory issues.

( I don't know what the status on that is now with trusted breeders but when I had rats in the past it was pretty much assumed all rats had it and it was only a matter of tolerance)

As for getting attached, I'd find it hard NOT to get attached to a rat.

Driving up to Indiana this Spring to get my new little baby gray fox. I can't wait!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

I'm putting a deposit down for a little boy, but depending on the people who put deposits down before me, I might end up with a female. Either way, as long as it's healthy, I'm happy!

Although, calling all the Fish and Wildlife for so many different states about transporting an exotic is so annoying. sleep.gif "Oh, you need to talk to so-and-so, let me transfer you." So far no troubles though, just need to pick up a few import permits. xd.png

Edited by Draco Knight

Driving up to Indiana this Spring to get my new little baby gray fox. I can't wait!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

I'm putting a deposit down for a little boy, but depending on the people who put deposits down before me, I might end up with a female. Either way, as long as it's healthy, I'm happy!

Although, calling all the Fish and Wildlife for so many different states about transporting an exotic is so annoying. sleep.gif "Oh, you need to talk to so-and-so, let me transfer you." So far no troubles though, just need to pick up a few import permits. xd.png

o3o

How much are exotic animals like foxes, btw? I've always been interested but I have no idea on how much they would be.

o3o

How much are exotic animals like foxes, btw? I've always been interested but I have no idea on how much they would be.

It varies. My gray is going to be $600, but there are places that sell for $400-$500. Reds tend to be a lot cheaper, and fennecs are more expensive, up to $1000 or more.

Also, you have to look into legality. Foxes are illegal as pets in quite a few places. I have to go 8 hours out of my way to avoid Kentucky because you can't even drive through with a fox.

It varies. My gray is going to be $600, but there are places that sell for $400-$500. Reds tend to be a lot cheaper, and fennecs are more expensive, up to $1000 or more.

Also, you have to look into legality. Foxes are illegal as pets in quite a few places. I have to go 8 hours out of my way to avoid Kentucky because you can't even drive through with a fox.

Oh yea I know about the legality issues, just not the price. But that's good to know. Thanks.

most of my pets are chinchillas laugh.gif i have ten of them! but three are babies, it's touch breeding them, you never want to let the babies go...

Hmm, I ordered a snake, not a bracelet...

Handsome boy

Nice and shiny

And a big boy too~

Every time I peel him off, he does this again...

His colors are absolutely stunning

Shows the nice contrast of brown, gold, black, and white he's got going

Saffron is perplexed by this intruder

For the record, on the last one I only noticed the cat had snuck in after I put him down and was fiddling with my phone to take a picture. That's as close as she got, no need for any accidents to happen, and I shushed her from the room as soon as the picture was taken.

Guess who's excited |D

most of my pets are chinchillas laugh.gif i have ten of them! but three are babies, it's touch breeding them, you never want to let the babies go...

Ten chinchillas?! o_O

JaziandCo: The last pic is so cute. xd.png and frankly snakes creep me out... but the colors are quite stunning as you said...

Yay! I don't have to drive all the way around Kentucky. I just have to get an import permit. ^.^

I never realized how strict Florida is with the enclosure requirements for captive wildlife. 0_0

At least 6x8x6, with a raised platform, a 'nest box' or den, shelter, secure roof/floor to prevent escape. I can totally understand them making laws and provisions for those things, basic needs for survival and safety. But you also have to legally provide safe toys that physically engage your animal(fox, in my case). A barrel, drum, balls, etc...and things to gnaw and chew on, such as a log and rawhides.

Things I would do anyway, but it was interesting to know I'm legally obligated to as well.

Edited by Draco Knight