TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

My last Alligator gar did fine in a 150 gallon tank. He died, due to choking. He tried to eat one of the koi in the tank.

My current gar is doing fine, and ill suspect he'd do fine in the pond. Its deep, but LOOKs shallow.

a 12 inch deep 150 gallon pond, would be a 4 foot square. The deeper it gets, the smaller the area would be. A 4 foot long fish wouldn't even begin to fit in something like that.

As I said, my last one did. He had enough swimming room. But, he DID outgrow it. When he was in it, he was 1 foot long. He grew 4 feet in a matter of months and died. Regardless, I take good care of my Gars. Im also getting a 1,000 gallon tank when we move to Florida, so, space isn't an issue for this new gar.

Hey all, I was wondering if any of you good folks know about bearded dragons! I'll be receiving one from some friends who are moving and can't take him with them at the end of the week and was wondering what sort of supplies I'll need. I already got lights and reptile carpeting and a tree-like thing and a cave thing for him, as well as a food bowl and a water sprayer thing.

Will I need anything else to keep Nimoy happy and healthy? Any tips for a first time dragon owner?

Will I need anything else to keep Nimoy happy and healthy?  Any tips for a first time dragon owner?

I can't speak from a dragon owner's point of view, but for snakes I know that a temperature gauge is a must, especially for extreme cold and heat weather when changes may not be so apparent. I'm sure there's a 'sweet spot' for dragons, browsing reptile-keeping sites would probably be helpful!

Electrically heated rocks are a real danger to reptiles too, but it doesn't sound like you have one so that's good!

From what I hear Bearded dragons are super hardy and easy to care for, so you should be in good shape if you know the basics. Good luck!

so many exotic creatures O_O

I think people shouldn't own them, because there are so many cases of unfortunate deaths from things like that... but I guess not a lot of you live in places like mine, so maybe exotic animals are happier there?

*doesnotknowwhatshe'stalkingabout*

so many exotic creatures O_O

I think people shouldn't own them, because there are so many cases of unfortunate deaths from things like that... but I guess not a lot of you live in places like mine, so maybe exotic animals are happier there?

*doesnotknowwhatshe'stalkingabout*

Honestly, there really AREN'T that many deaths. More people are killed by vending machines and cars than by their exotic pets. It's just that the media LOVES this story.

If the animal is provided for, healthy, and doesn't pose a threat to the community, I see no problem with it. At the same time, there are countless cases of exotic pets gone wrong, so if someone chooses to own one, they would do well to have extensive knowledge of the animal's behavior and not attend to the animal alone.

I love exotic animals! I wish I had something like a ferret for a pet. Or maybe an exotic bird or a snake. But I don't have anything interesting like that. Sadface. Maybe one day.

If the animal is provided for, healthy, and doesn't pose a threat to the community, I see no problem with it. At the same time, there are countless cases of exotic pets gone wrong, so if someone chooses to own one, they would do well to have extensive knowledge of the animal's behavior and not attend to the animal alone.

Of course. Some people aren't fit to own dogs and cats, let alone a fox or serval or anything else.

I have a few pet turtles smile.gif

I'd love to get a pet ferret or iguana when I get my own place though.

My mom had a ferret when I was little, and he liked to hide under the cushions in the couch and come up and bite anyone in the butt that he didn't no that sat there xd.png

If I could have a white tiger though, I'd have one!

Of course. Some people aren't fit to own dogs and cats, let alone a fox or serval or anything else.

Ugh yes @_@ For every animal that I would love to have I spend months and even years researching before I make a decision to buy. Since it took me so long to save up and get just my cat and I had to research the heck out of cat ownership, I can't imagine what it must be like for an owner jumping right into exotics without any thought.

I'm in the process of getting a ball python. Wanted a snake for years but was only allowed to have rodents while living at home. I just got my tank and most of my supplies, so once I have everything I need I'm going to get one :3

*gag* Got in touch with a rep for the domesticated Russian foxes. 3k for the kit alone. WTH?

Last year, it was just under 3k for the kit, its vet care, and transportation. :/ Now everything is around 6k, which doesn't include the expensive and difficult process of importing, just the transporting. You're responsible for all the red tape. I was willing to wade the mire of importing an exotic, but they have more then doubled the price.

I think I'm going to look into grey foxes again. Not exactly what I wanted but a definite close second, and much more doable as far as my bank account is concerned. sleep.gif

An up though, I'm finally achieving a life long dream. In the next few months, I'll be getting two sugar gliders! biggrin.gif

I personally blame sibfox. Some people were willing to pay the 6k price Sibfox offered, so of course the Institute would increase their prices as well.

I blame Sibfox too(not that they are doing any business anymore anyway, not after two of their imports were confiscated in Texas), but I also blame the Institute. They should realize that people were willing to pay so much for the convenience Sibfox offered. Importing is expensive, and the process can be incredibly confusing even with help from someone who knows what they are doing. Sibfox was offering to deal with red tape for you.

As it stands, I would have to pay the Institute 6k, and probably pay an importer or broker quite a bit to import it for me. Or pay just as much(more?) and try import it myself.

sleep.gif I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

Edited by Draco Knight

That's also true. I know about the foxes seized in Texas, but part of that was Sibfox's fault too. If they'd had their import licenses worked out properly, it wouldn't have happened.

Just got my baby deathstalker into a bigger setup. ;3

How much of a baby is the little scorpion? Aww.

What sort of set up did you move it into?

How much of a baby is the little scorpion? Aww.

What sort of set up did you move it into?

Like a half inch. He's now in a deli cup.

Chinchillas FTW!

Thats all i have to say.

And this:

user posted image

D'aww... Chinchillas are adorable.

In 5th grade, had one as a class pet. Loved how soft it was. <3

Like a half inch. He's now in a deli cup.

Holy hell, that is a baby, I was picturing an adolescent type size. o.O

I've never looked into scorpions. What is actually inside the deli cup, nothing but him/her?

Holy hell, that is a baby, I was picturing an adolescent type size. o.O

I've never looked into scorpions. What is actually inside the deli cup, nothing but him/her?

Sand, and a rock hes dug a little burrow under. I don't want to risk him in an actual terrarium, and then have him climb the silicon and get out or something.