TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

I had a rat I miss her

I think it would be awesome to have a pet fennec fox

This is my one and only exotic pet in some states of the US it is illegal to even transfer her through them if caught she would be put to death on site. Other states Id have to have a vet health slip with me and her cage would have to be locked at all times while in that state. Thank goodness not all states in the US hate har lol She is my baby

user posted image

Update n chicks; feathers on 3 of the chicks, 3 with open eyes. :-)

Babies are too big for mum to hide from me now, I might be able to get a decent photograph soon now her over protectiveness isn't possible. Lol.

She laid an 8th egg. But her other 3 might be infertile.

user posted image

Mum and two chicks (the other two were behind her and the two eggs are under her). The blobs in the foreground on the bottom right are two of her rejected eggs she has rolled them around so much their dirty, their coming out within the next few days since their no good. The 3rd she is still deciding on it seems.

Edit:

You know I cleaned that nesting box this morning when I woke up... The babies managed to **** it up so fast... blink.gif

Edited by Geobreeder

@Geobreeder: I wish I had a parrot.

Aside from the odd screeching, budgies are pretty sweet members of the large parrot family. The chicks sound so CUTE (too bad their so damn ugly! xd.png ).

I'm hoping at least one of these guys has white wings like mum and not black like dad. And if one ends up with mum's colours, that would make my day. But chances are, they'll end up like dad according to the colour chart. At least from what I'll be able to work out.

But still...

A FEW MORE DAYS AND I'LL KNW IF THEIR BLUE OR GREEN AT LEAST! biggrin.gif

All I know is their not albinos or Lunitos at this point in time it seems.

Edit:

Be aware if you have wood chip wallpaper though... They know theres wood underneath the wallpaper and they bite the paper off the wall to get at it. blink.gif

Edit:

I love talking budgies... I had one once...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSeIDYFDv3E&feature=related

At least you know with that one what time it is any point during the day lol. xd.png

Edited by Geobreeder

My grandmother had ferrets...

Did you know if they have two periods in a row or something like that the female ferret will die from dehydration. Intelligent design my *** tongue.gif

My grandmother had ferrets...

Did you know if they have two periods in a row or something like that the female ferret will die from dehydration. Intelligent design my *** tongue.gif

Well. I'm not going to argue for ID, but, in the wild this usually wouldn't be a problem.

Ferrets will stay in heat until either a male takes her out of heat (occasionally can be accomplished with a neutered boy), or until she dies, yes. It's very bad for her to do so, makes her anemic.

That said, I'd like a ferret. And a snake. However, neither are allowed at this house so I must wait until I move out =<

I've HAD three rats (2 siamese, one bloo fellow), 5 gerbils (mom+dad+3 babies, 1 gray, 3 tan, 1 albino), 3 hamsters (1 siberian, 1 teddy bear, 1 russian), and a guinea pig, all at different times of course. I'd have to say the rats were the most enjoyable, but then they were also the most intelligent.

So far, I've had: 2 hamsters, 1 mouse, and a salamander. If I could get a pet rat, I would. They're pretty cute! smile.gif

As for the snake I wish I had, it would be a Sunbeam Snake or a corn snake.

How sad all 4 of them were fine yesturday, but today, one of them is flushed red, laying on the floor panting and not churping.

I might be about to loose it. T_T

The others are fine.

Edit:

Get out the voilins...

A bird that never got to fly now flyings on wings of a different nature. :'-(

Edited by Geobreeder

user posted image

Mum's three remain chicks from youngest to eldest (middle-back one is the middle aged chick). Actaully she has become a lot more protective since loss of one. I've switched from every other day cleaning to every day cleaning regarding her nesting box. Mum now wishes to sit on my shoulder and examine what I'm doing to her chicks, then when convinced I mean them no harm goes to sit by the cage waiting to go back in.

Anyway at this point:

-The eldest isa definitely (with an I, not an A) a black wing. It has dark blue tints so might end up a blue bird from what I can tell. (edit:looking at the photo again, it'll properly have white on half the wing, but the front bits definitely (with an I, not an A) black, hard to tell on a photograph, I think they were just downing feathers).

-Second youngest has black wings, BUT has a few white yelow feathers on the middle (you might just about see here). Which means its like green like dad, but gonna properly be a yellow due to inheriting mum's diluted genes, which means it'll look yellow.

Basically like this:

http://www.wildanimalstickers.com/images/n...w_budgie_lg.jpg

I'm sad neight of these two have mum's wing, but the yellow on the wings is a definate nice surprise as its not gonna look like either parent. :-)

Edited by Geobreeder

Sorry for the multipost, its the most appropriate thread and I don't want to make a new one...

Eldest chick is 16 days today, tomorrow I'm taking its photograph. But its coming alone nicely so far. Its got its mum's blue colour with none of her paleness, its colour fade is deeper then his dad's. But its standing on two feet now and walking up and down the nesting box... And its looking like a parrot at last. ITs also old enough to BITE me, but fortunately, not old enough to hurt. Lol.

Chick no.3 turned out to be another yellow. So I have a blue and two greens out of the 3. I've gotten over ht eloss of the 4th chick... I'm spending every single day cleaning off muck off their legs though, depsite I'm putting a new nesting box base in the bottom every day.

Since they'll be grown up and out of the box by the end of the month, I'm actually sad, because right now they're all in their cute stage... And well, it won't last. Still, I'm looking forward to them getting out and around. The best they produced is the eldest, the two greens are just faded so close to yellow, and their colours are patchy. So their not much good as specimens. But what the hey, I breed them so I'm happy their growing up! happy.gif

Edit:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

From oldest to youngest. :-3

Edited by Geobreeder

I have three, best pets ever!

I hate when people call them ugly or dirty. They are very cute when young and handsome when old. And they spend half their day frantically cleaning:)

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

I have now three mice and one rat (only one because he is a male and he was just fixed so when I can...Ima get him a buddy.)

I have an albino mouse named Ophelia

I have a very mouse named Verona (got her from a breeder who breeds mice to look wild, she is actualy 25% wild house mouse)

I also have a baby feild mouse named Tessla now, she is all of five to six weeks of age and longest legs I have ever seen on a mouse. I saved her along with about nine other mice from my barn. I let the others go but when I was setting them free she stayed behind so I took her inside and she is actualy very social. She is not in with the other mice yet ebcause she is still a baby and will remain alone until she is one month old and my other two girls will nto hurt her. Also she needs a few more vet visits, so far she is a healthy little baby, she has gotten her worming meds just in case, and I think I'll have some blood tests ran on her just in case.

I also have a little boy rat who just got fixed about a month back so now that he is back to his old self I am going to get a girl rat for him to be friends with. I got him fixed so I don't have any baby rats because breeding for no reason is wrong.

I also have a sheep from Africa...O.o ya, two minature horses and three Arabian horses and one ASB horse.

I use to have two salamanders Max and Satine but Max died of old age and I let his mate go back into the wild since she stopped eating after his death.

Edit: If my cat chirps like a bird rather than meows is she consider exotic? She has never meowed a day in her life and actualy makes a sound like this...well it's hard to spell but eh.

Burrriiiiiittttt, or arrruuuurrrttttt O.o

it's like a strange trill or chirp but I have never seen another cat make that sound nor make it constantly. I have searched all audio and even looked on youtube but never found a sound close.

Edited by Delphine

I'll be getting an adolescent rat in a week or two. I've already paid for her and her daddy was GORGEOUS. He won Best of Breed and Reserve Champion of the small animals division at the county fair this year. And I get one of his babehs! *squee*

How can you say no to champion stock when the babies are going for $3, $5 to be hand-delivered by the breeder to your home?

I'll be getting an adolescent rat in a week or two. I've already paid for her and her daddy was GORGEOUS. He won Best of Breed and Reserve Champion of the small animals division at the county fair this year. And I get one of his babehs! *squee*

How can you say no to champion stock when the babies are going for $3, $5 to be hand-delivered by the breeder to your home?

OMG that is an amazing deal -jaw drop-

So excited for you, a little ratty is the best thingin the world. I would not trade my mice or rat in for anything. They are simply the most amazing pets ever...especaly my little mirical Tessla biggrin.gif I love her long kangaroo legs.

I wish you could still import those giant rats from Brazil but it is ilegal in the US now. If ever you have seen the movie Willard the big rat Big Ben is one of those monster rats. I want one so bad, they can be the size of house cats or a small dog. Imagine how cool biggrin.gif

that is what they look like if you have never seen the movie. CUTE

Edited by Delphine

What do I want?

Snake: Maybe

Lizard: Yes

Turtle: Maybe

Frog: Yes

Toad: Yes

Hermit Crab: Yes

Fish: Already have

Bird: No

Hamster: Already had

Rat: Yes

Cat: Already have 2

Dog: No

Scorpion: Maybe

Spider: No

Ants: Already have

Squirrel: Yes

Skunk: Do want!

I had two pet rats - Lucky and Dumbo and they were the sweetest pets ever. When they died I was grief stricken. sad.gif

Also had two ferrets - Ziggy and Pepper. They were crack ups and I loved them to bits.

I now have two cats, so hardly exotic but I do have two ball pythons as well...one of them I've had for about 15 years. My snakes are very cool and very mellow.

It's a shame that rats have such a bad reputation because honestly they are the sweetest animals I've ever owned. The only thing keeping me from getting more is their short life spans...they just don't live very long and I get so attached. I don't want to have my heart broken every couple of years.

At the moment I have 5 rats, and they are all rescues of one sort or another. 2 were destined to be snake food (and yes, I know snakes need to eat but they CAN learn to take F/T) 1 was left at the vets office, and 2 were from hoarding situations or back-yard-breeders. I have a dumbo-eared satin-hair Siamese female, 1 standard-eared standard-hair Himalayan female, 1 standard-eared standard-hair blue Berkshire female, 1 dumbo-eared hairless neutered male, and 1 dumbo-eared standard-hair masked female.

I've had a total of 10 rats in the past 3 years, but had 4 when I was younger.

I've begged for rats from my parents they're so intellegant but my dad says if we were to move we wouldn't be able to go to a lot of houses

Edited by wildwindflower

I did not feeding any pets

But I think most of the animals are cute

I am hope to keep a Turkish Van(cat)