TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

Beowulf passed away two days ago. ._.

He fought pneumonia for three weeks, seemed to recover, but got a bunch of opportunistic infections on top of it and finally died of a stroke or something similar on saturday.

Four fatbags left.

aww. sad.gif

i currently have four fatbags (lol) a white one that was originally named jack, but everyone got uesd to calling him "Little Guy" instead. occasionally i just call him fatty. xd.png hes the biggest. next is tux, and shes just black with a white underbelly. then i have Mowglet, a little brown rat with a gray underbelly, and then i have an albino hairless rat. we call her Tak, though sometimes i call her Fuzzless. :3

i currently have four fatbags (lol) a white one that was originally named jack, but everyone got uesd to calling him "Little Guy" instead. occasionally i just call him fatty. xd.png hes the biggest. next is tux, and shes just black with a white underbelly. then i have Mowglet, a little brown rat with a gray underbelly, and then i have an albino hairless rat. we call her Tak, though sometimes i call her Fuzzless. :3

Fatbags ftw. They're even SHAPED like little pouches, seriously.

user posted image

Now try not to remember this association when you next look at a rat or a pouch.

Ahem, back to topic: I love hairless rats, we were hunting for any breeder into breeding them in Finland but found none with a friend of mine. She settled for a rex when nobody was breeding doubles and I didn't grab a new fluff at that time.

I'm not sure if my pack is mourning the loss of a member or not - they seem to sleep more and fight more now that Beo is gone, but otherwise, they haven't been showing much signs of acknowledging his disappearance. Maybe they had already sort of lost him like I had and settled with the changes in pecking order and whatever ratty is going on in their minds when a packmember dies, like "who sleeps on top of the pile" and "will there be a pile". And, who gets to take the greenies out of the seed mix first.

Still, I was expecting more of the usual looking around for the lost rat. O_o

Someone in my class has chickens :D. I want chickens, but we have foxes living somewhere in the garden, and they are sneaky little devils. Plus my dogs would probably go after them as well. D:

This person also has an ostrich. XD

MY TUMMY HAD THE RUMBLES THAT ONLY HANDS CAN SATISFY

[/off topic]

[/caps]

I had a pet newt named Mr. Wiggles :'D I found him in my yard with Taco. He died yesterday :[ He was the awesomest newt ever, though...I also had baby mice. They didn't last long...

Oh, yeah, we have baby mallard ducks. biggrin.gif We started out with 8, and all of them died except for 1. So then we got 8 more and left the survivor with them...all of them died except for 3. So now we have 3 little teeny babies and one huge duck 5 times the size of them. We think that he's a serial killer.

Daww... all of your animals sound awesome, Catty. :3

Serial killer ducks? Well then, the next time I walk near the side of the creek I'll have to watch out for flying knives... or something...

Speaking of birds in general, we got to see and (somewhat) take care of chicks that hatched in our class two weeks ago. There really isn't much to say about it.

Currently, I have: two cats named Midnight and Joey

And a surprisingly cute lil' algae sucker that's the only survivor out of all the fish I used to have.

I've had a lot of interesting pets, though, and known people who've had them. I used to have a baby turtle, but he somehow managed to escape his cage and apparently was eaten...

My brother once caught a salamander, and a crayfish (he kind of shares all the pets he gets with me), but eventually we let them go.

I've also had hamsters and things like that. Go figure.

But, otherwise, people had more interesting pets than I. For example: dogs.

A friend I knew had a pet chinchilla, and one of my relatives once took care of chameleons.

I always wanted a hedgehog as a pet. They are so cute and fluffy (ok not fluffy but cute) and they actually CAN be pets. It is just hard to do. You have to find a vet who can help with them if need be, find the right food, etc... Still want one though.

I have had several ferrets, and they are really adorable animals! One on my definitive favourites, without any doubt. smile.gif

Thats one animal id like to get again someday when i have the time.

I have had rats as well, and they are some cuddly little trolls laugh.gif

I really think they are perfect pets for most people, kids as well (as long as there parental guidance, of course). They are easlily trained, easy to keep and are affectionate for their humans as well smile.gif

I had one Chinchilla once as well, several years ago.

Nice pet as well, but they are not so easy to train and needs mutch more handling before they gets used to it. Not a pet i would recomend for someone younger or woth less time to care for the animal...

Ferrets are wonderful pets...If you don't have sisters who have hamsters...

*Pets ferret, currently lying on the keyboard*

I have a pet Cockatoo....Umbrella Cockatto,Named Kuhlua.He's a pretty nice and funny bird.

I had a ferret when I was 6, but he died two years ago sad.gif

But my friend has three rats and they're cute and really smart.

We can't have anything furry in the house. The snakes smell it and refuse their defrosted rodent dinner dry.gif

We currently have ..

2 Royal pythons

(Eden and Boy)

1 Spotted Python

(Baby girl AKA Little miss bitey)

and my beautiful Male Water Dragon

(Neon)

Have previously kept/rescued/rehomed ...

Bearded Dragons (bred and had 3 clutches of eggs!),

2 Plated lizards,

2 other Royal pythons,

2 more Water Dragons,

2 Thai beauty snakes,

1 Milk snake,

1 Nile Monitor!

Wishlist ... a pair of Red-eyed Croc skinks <3

TD.x.

I have an Armadillo Lizard. His name is Chubz, cause he's fat! Lol.

Right now you cannot buy Armadillo Lizards because they are endangered.

We used to have 3. Two Girls and then the boy Chubz. The other two were his siblings but we learned too late that the Males attack Females.

Chubz killed his sister General Scales. His other sister Skitzophrenic passed of Liver issues.

I also have a Chameleon named, Cama and a Ball Python named Mr. Slithers. (Unique right?)

And a Blue Tongued Skink named Blutengel. (Yes after the band)

And finally we have 4 Fat Tailed Leopard Geckos.

River, Ratchet, Mercedes, and Adam (I am so creative right?)

Edited by Kaoto_Susanao235

We have had:

Turtles

A cockatiel

Chickens

Ducks

Fish

Catfish

Cats

Dogs

Mice

Snakes

Blue tailed Racerunners (lizards)

Frogs

Squirrels

Flying squirrels

^ That should be the most of it. However, now that my older brother has grown up and moved out, we don't have anymore. I feel bad now because most of those animals were caught from the wild, or we found injured and we rehabilitated them. We weren't the best of owners, and now that I actually know something about taking care of animals, we only have a cat and dog.

When I was very very young (like 4) we had ferrets. All I remember about them is running and screaming because I was afraid of them, but the ferrets thought it was a game and would chase me tongue.gif Silly ferrets. I did hear stories of how they would hide sandals, or I would find a chewed-up ancient thing and my parents would say, "Oh, the ferrets got to it." We haven't had ferrets since then, but I would like to get some even though they are illegal in California biggrin.gif

Edit: Oh yeah, we also have a desert tortoise. Since they are an endangered species, we had to obtain a permit to own him. His name is Jessie~

And we also had crayfish once...haha they hated me. Every time I walked by they would raise their little claws like COME AT ME, BRO.

Edited by Mirikitani

This is really neat to read about what other people have! We always have a menagerie here... good thing we don't have kids! Among the most exotic that we currently have are a pair of red foot tortoises, steppe lemmings (these guys are awesome!), a sugar glider, hedgehogs, snakes of various types. I also had a breeding pair of Brazilian Possums up until recently. These guys are hard to get, but were very enjoyable to own! The hardest part was keeping their diet right. They had fully prehensile tails and would carry their bedding around with their tail. I also had a chinese hamster for a few years, he was very cool!

I had an emperor scorpion once. And I now have hermit crabs, but I'm not sure if those count as exotic.

I just dug up this old photo of my rat, Kinko, in our Christmas tree. xd.png

user posted image

She was the only rat I've owned, but I love rats now thanks to her. I think ferrets are cool too, and whole love to have one, if only I wasn't allergic. dry.gif

I'm preparing to house a hedgehog soon. ;w;

I love them so bad and they make great pets.

They're unique, some are cuddly, their defense mechanism is to be respected, and they're just so gosh darn cute. <333

Not to mention how photogenic they are and easy to take care of!

Do gerbils count? I know they used to come from Mongolia some time back when... ;w;

Well...I have two gerbils (after countless other gerbils and hamsters), little one year old boys named Finnigan and Mustardseed and I love them to death. They love to cuddle, and hardly nibble unless I smell like food. We even have a little game we like to play by hiding seeds under empty acorn caps and switching them around, and then they find them =3

It amazes me how squeamish people are about rodents sometimes. These aren't pests, their pets, and very affectionate ^.^

But I've also had several salamanders and a couple of Northern Brown Snakes I've caught.

I used to have a chinchilla, but he died this year in May.

Now I'm looking/hoping to get a pygmy hedgehog, but I don't know anything about them.

I would love to have a pet snake. Unfortunately almost nobody I know thinks they make awesome pets D:

apart from feeding live animals i think they are awesome! i love snakes!!!

and i'm thinking of getting a ferret or to. done the research and i already know what i'm feeding it. Butchers scraps, lamb rabbit and chicken mainly XP

I've only had 1 exotic animal. Though most exotic animals are high-maintenance I wouldn't mind having another, I love them.

Then again I already have 1 dog, though I do not take care of her myself, and having another pet right at this moment wouldn't be the best choice (for reasons I'd rather keep to myself).

If I were to get another exotic pet it would probably be in the reptile family. The reason being is because the exotic animal I used to have was a blue tongued skink. Now I know a lot of people hate snakes, lizards, etc., but a lot of people also love them which leads me to having some, even though my mom is terrified of them. <-- :)

Now I'd probably get small animals no big ones like pythons or anything.

Pic of blue tongue skink.. I don't have any old photos of my old one so I just googled it, just so you guys who have no idea what it is or looks like can see. I probably will be getting it again:

Check it out if you want.. If your afraid of snakes or lizards I suggest not to XD.

EDIT:

apart from feeding live animals i think they are awesome! i love snakes!!!

Lol I wouldn't say I'm cruel but I actually don't mind feeding them live animals. I used to feed mine crickets.. :P

Edited by Sourwhatup

Lol I wouldn't say I'm cruel but I actually don't mind feeding them live animals. I used to feed mine crickets.. tongue.gif

oh i could feed crickets and cockroaches other bugs and the such. but thats all. someone said if i got a ferret i should feed it one day old chicks D: i just hatched a batch of chicks! how could i ever think of killing them ;.;

so if i do go for a snake or lizard, it shall be a small one.

I'm currently scraping every last penny I can, because I'm hoping in Summer/Fall 2013 I'll be getting a domesticated silver fox from Russia. *crosses fingers and toes*

I haven't ruled out a red fox from an America breeder, since importing the Russian one is going to be a hassle and a half...but it's kinda a dream come true.

Other than desiring to own a fox though...not much into owning exotics. Although technically the red fox is native to Florida, so does it even count as an exotic? I'd need a permit to own it, and it probably wouldn't be a 'natural' color(unless it's a cross colored fox, I LOVE that color). Hmmmm...