TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

oh i could feed crickets and cockroaches other bugs and the such. but thats all. someone said if i got a ferret i should feed it one day old chicks D: i just hatched a batch of chicks! how could i ever think of killing them ;.;

so if i do go for a snake or lizard, it shall be a small one.

See I wouldn't mind doing that as long as I can feed the animal other things than just besides that.. Well people have their opinions I guess :P

And for the snakes.. I do the same XD. I have watched big snakes eat mice though.. Cool process.

See I wouldn't mind doing that as long as I can feed the animal other things than just besides that.. Well people have their opinions I guess tongue.gif

And for the snakes.. I do the same xd.png. I have watched big snakes eat mice though.. Cool process.

I can watch it in natural situations. doesn't bother me, whatever is being eaten is being eaten because it wasn't good enough (natural selection ra ra ra)

but feeding them myself in a confined place where the mouse rabbit whatever has no chance of escape... i'm not comfortable in situations that far removed from nature.

I did once release a mouse into my chook pen, i felt alright with that because the mouse had a good chance of escape. it just had to scale a tree or race through he wires. the stupid thing ran straight into the chickens. lights out mousey.

I did once release a mouse into my chook pen, i felt alright with that because the mouse had a good chance of escape. it just had to scale a tree or race through he wires. the stupid thing ran straight into the chickens. lights out mousey.

I'd probably do something like that.. that's too much like SAW though, lol!

Well whatever it may be the animal has to eat so either it be alive or just buy it frozen and toss it in there.

I'm currently scraping every last penny I can, because I'm hoping in Summer/Fall 2013 I'll be getting a domesticated silver fox from Russia. *crosses fingers and toes*

I haven't ruled out a red fox from an America breeder, since importing the Russian one is going to be a hassle and a half...but it's kinda a dream come true.

Other than desiring to own a fox though...not much into owning exotics. Although technically the red fox is native to Florida, so does it even count as an exotic? I'd need a permit to own it, and it probably wouldn't be a 'natural' color(unless it's a cross colored fox, I LOVE that color). Hmmmm...

I hope you aren't planning on importing through Sibfox.

I used to want a silver fox but you can't have foxes in my state and I'm not really interested anymore. The closest thing to an exotic I might want is a F2 Bengal or something.

Regarding live feeding, I'm not sure it's something that ought to be done, but I have no problem with feeding dead day old chicks and what not.

I hope you aren't planning on importing through Sibfox.

I used to want a silver fox but you can't have foxes in my state and I'm not really interested anymore. The closest thing to an exotic I might want is a F2 Bengal or something.

Regarding live feeding, I'm not sure it's something that ought to be done, but I have no problem with feeding dead day old chicks and what not.

Definitely won't be dealing with Sibfox, no. Hence why it will be so hard to import, since I'll be trying it myself. Unless Ken's Exotics is going to start offering them again, I'm pretty much on my own. I'll have to get a Class III permit to own one in my state, and I'm almost certain my county doesn't have any special laws about owning foxes.

Bengals are so beautiful. They make me wish I was more of a cat person. Good luck. ^.^

I'm not really sure what was worse when I had my ball python: feeding him live mice, or being forced to mutilate dead ones so he would eat them. He wasn't a fan of non-live food.

there is nothing wrong with having exotic animals as long as your resposible. you have to make shore that there always fed and training them to be confortable around people is a must. pets like rats or mice are not very dirty. i had owned a few rescue animals like birds, a snake and mice as well as turtles. the only dirty ones are turtle but you just have to clean there cage once a week or so. all my rescue pets had been friendly even my pet corn snake had had one mouse friend in its cage.

but ya mice and other exotic pets can be very friendly if taught correctly even ferrets and snakes. rats and mice are very good pets though if you get one you might what to have one that is the same gender to go with it. mice and rats get lonely and having another of its gender keeps it company and happy without getting a unwanted littler of babies. i have 8 mice, all female, and there fantastic pets. though the only thing is i have to keep one of them on a all rice diet as well as puppy food diet because of allergy with her, though it does not help that she is blind.

I used to have 7 snakes, all ringnecks smile.gif But my cousin is now taking care of them, and I have a kitten smile.gif

i DONT and never had any exotic pets before, but I want a red-eyed tree frog, all colrs of the poisin dart frog, and a red fox.

AND MAYBE a grey wolf and artic fox.

Well, apparently importing an animal yourself is really, really hard. I might as well start contacting breeders/brokers/importers to see if they could do it for me. Geez. I'm already dizzy.

I used to have two beautiful female rats. Sisters. Both white with grey heads, one with a grey stripe down her back. Lovely. Couldnt keep them, though... Still have a lovely, sweet, cuddly red 5 foot long cornsnake

I've had so many rats over the years, I can't even remember the number. I have 5 lovelies right now. wub.gif I spend way too much money on them but I can't help it! They've got a zoo-quality cage that's bigger than my refrigerator and have never touched a wood-chip in their lives.

I also have a Western Hognose snakelet with a horribly bad attitude. Raised him from a hatchling, fed him his first meal...he's such a good little eater, always taking frozen-thawed mice without a second thought, but BOY is he feisty.

I had a pair of male rats that I rescued from the feeder bin at my local pet store. They were great pets, and would cuddle up behind my neck while I watched TV in my armchair. One died prematurely (I'm still not sure why) and when I tried to get a new friend for the remaining one they fought like nobody's business. The new guy bit me when I tried to separate them and caused enough damage that I had to have a surgical repair done: he'd nearly severed the tendon in my left pinky finger! (That little bugger went to a new home immediately.) Other than that, though, they were great little pets and it was my own fault for sticking my hand into a rat fight.

I currently have a Leopard Gecko named Toki, and she's my sweet little house dragon. I've had her for almost five years now, and she loves to have her back scratched. (She freezes and arches up just like a cat would!) She's an easy keeper and lots of fun.

In the past I've kept several Guinea Pigs, bunnies and turtles (both land and aquatic). I had a tarantula and a Tokay Gecko as well. The tarantula was cool looking but not so much fun, and the Tokay was really pretty but those suckers bite. The Tokay Geckos are also noisy, mine used to bark and hiss at the cat whenever she'd sit on its cage. Mean little boogers, I wouldn't recommend them.

I ♥ exotic pets, and will probably keep them all my life.

I have a pet ferret I got last July. His name is Duncan. Ferrets are such funny little things. A lot of work though. I haven't really had any other exotic animals besides that. My mom used to have an African Gray Parrot when I was younger though.

Here's a picture of Duncan: [LINK]

Edited by wolfclaw

I have owned a total of ten rats. The most I had at one time was seven - I am down to five now. They're incredible creatures. Capable of loving and bonding with their owners. <3 However, I will not be getting any more. It's very stressful to me owning so many, and because they only live a few years, and that just breaks my heart...

I don't have any pets, exotic or otherwise. sad.gif Living in an apartment in the middle of the city, the most exciting pet I'd be able to have is probably a goldfish... Sadly, I'd probably forget to feed it and kill it. tongue.gif

I love animals, rats included. I've never had a pet rat though, but maybe one of these days. I've owned an emperor scorpion before. I own hermit crabs. Do those count as exotic? I own a newt and plan on owning more in the future. They're a kind of animal I don't hear about many people owning.

I used to have two pet rats. One was an albino rat named Pinky, the other was a hooded rat named Brain. Brain passed away about 6 months after we got him, Pinky lived for about 2 years.

I've had a few hamsters and mice over the years. Currently the only "exotic" I have is a dwarf robo hamster named Rico.

Then there's the normal pets- two tabby cats and a shihtzu. I also foster dogs for a rescue group near where I live, so it's not uncommon for there to be 2 or 3 temporary residents in the house.

I have a red-eared slider turtle, but I do wish for a snake. Any snake.

cool how old is yours? my red-eared slider turtle is around 15 or so years old and he is the size of both my hands put together.

though when i'm cleaning his cage he seems interested in chasing my cats, its kinda funny how he makes a thumping noise when trying to chase them. :?

(P.S. corn snakes make great pets if your looking into finding snakes.)

Edited by xhunter

I have a red eared slider too, though I am not certain how old she is. I would like a corn snake, I want a pet snake, but pythons get too big. I won't be able to get a pet snake until I move out though, I don't think even my mother would tolerate a pet snake(dad doesn't like the turtle, there is no chance of getting him to tolerate a snake in the house).

Edited by Nectaris

I have a red eared slider too, though I am not certain how old she is. I would like a corn snake, I want a pet snake, but pythons get too big. I won't be able to get a pet snake until I move out though, I don't think even my mother would tolerate a pet snake(dad doesn't like the turtle, there is no chance of getting him to tolerate a snake in the house).

he probably don't like it because of the mess. though corn snakes don't get too big, my pet snake grew to 3 feet though he was the nicest thing ever. corn snakes don't like to bite anything other than mice. if you get one make shore that you hold it often and give it company you can train it to befriend a mouse if you don't get enough time.

plus there is only a mess after they go to the bathroom, but that is easy to clean. wink.gif