Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Good, but remember consistent lightsources and contrasts! And hue changes.

Thank you for the help! biggrin.gif

Old/New

user posted imageuser posted image

Getting better for the contrasts/hue changes? (Again, ignore the egg.)

Oh noes for inconsistent lightsources, though. D: Can you point out where it looks inconsistent? I showed it in-progress to my brother, and without any prompting he could see the light as coming from above and to the left. So it'd be good to know where I went wrong. wink.gif

@ScarletMoon: It's nicely shaded. smile.gif But I think it's also pillow-shaded. Sorry for sounding vague and stuff, but I'm no expert. *shrugs.

@Imbecamiel: Nuh, I see nothing wrong (other than it seems like it needs something more I can't pinpoint...), but don't be reassured at all. *Points to last sentence to SacrletMoon and shrygs again.

Anyway, *points to last post* I really don't want to be pushy and annoying, but any advice there?

YAY! I turned a sketch into a sprite for the first time! This is the first time I've done anything with a sprite or anything like that besides recolering an egg! Here it is!user posted image

Gemini8910: xd.png Flattered... that looks good, don't forget to clean it up.

Rosella Surmane: Contrast is extremely important. Shadows and highlights can be harsh in real life.

Imbecamiel: It looks like it's coming from us... try giving it a certain direction, like, top left.

user posted image

I tried another sprite...I wanted to attempt to make an outline....I havent cleaned it up yet, I was to lazy to...any tips on how to make this better before I clean it up?

First of all you'll need to shrink it down some more. Its currently 135 pixels high, max we go for really is 100 =)

Er... I made my own sprite, but I was just wondering how to fix it and this seemed to be the best place. OuO So, can someone tell me where I went wrong?

user posted image

Smoothing lines I have no idea how to do.

I have done one too <.< From a sketch I made some years ago. I need help with the dragon's tail and some other lines that is wrong. It does not look good. I would like to make it smaller. But when I do it it just looks so awkward o_O Im no good at shading or coloring so I can forget that.

If someone wants to help me I will be so happy, but if not its ok.

user posted image

I do apologize for posting here so many times... Trying to figure out how to fix shadows/lighting.

Old/New

user posted image --> user posted image

Any better? Again - thanks SO MUCH to the generous people who're willing to help in this thread! It is very much appreciated indeed. smile.gif

That's great! smile.gif The eye needs more noticeable shading.

user posted image

It's done, but I don't like how doughy it is! I want it to be big and bulky. Can someone please help me?

Edited by Zovesta

I do apologize for posting here so many times... Trying to figure out how to fix shadows/lighting.

Old/New

user posted image --> user posted image

Any better? Again - thanks SO MUCH to the generous people who're willing to help in this thread! It is very much appreciated indeed. smile.gif

I think it looks good smile.gif really biggrin.gif

I have done one too <.< From a sketch I made some years ago. I need help with the dragon's tail and some other lines that is wrong. It does not look good. I would like to make it smaller. But when I do it it just looks so awkward o_O Im no good at shading or coloring so I can forget that.

If someone wants to help me I will be so happy, but if not its ok.

user posted image

Well, when I resize things, I just use Flickr. After uploading it, you cab click the 'all size' button then you can get it in thumbnail size. You're going to have to retrace it but it'll be easier. smile.gif

@Imbecamiel: I don't know much about shading but that looks better. smile.gif

Zov, it looks like you have lots of long straight lines. You also have odd bends in the forelimb that is being balanced upon.

The rear legs need larger haunch and thigh muscles to help bulk them out. When doing bulky and large you almost need to over exaggerate the musculature. Think of those guys that do the strong man competitions or someone equally muscle-bound like that. Heck even look up a picture of the double muscled whippet. Do note that the whippet in those photos has a genetic condition to make her look like that but the images should help with the bulk explanation.

I can't fix the straight lines, though, that's my problem.

Thanks, I'll try and fix the rest.

Edit:

UOEIGHHGUSNJNP6UIH-

I can't do muscle! >_< Darn those references, they didn't help me one bit! And I still haven't been able to fix the straight lines. >__>

user posted image

Edited by Zovesta

Deepen the chest and that will hide some of the straight line tangent that is going on between the off side forelimb and the bottom edge of the wing.

On the back of the sprite as the brown changes into the gold spine you can remove and soften that hard line by gradually having the dark brown body color fade into the golden crest. This will remove the harsh line there and will add depth to the sprite.

The wing arm fold definition does not need to go all the way back to the rump in a solid dark line color. Shading will show that it is there but the wing would have a connection at the bum end of the body so you don't need a hard line to define it either the membrane is just a part of the skin so it will smoothly transition.

As for the head, I'm a bit lost. Sowwy.

S'ok, I like the head anyway. I'll try and fix those.

Any tips of the muscle?

Thanks. smile.gif

Edit: Fixed most of the problems, I think. Except for the wing. >__> But I like the wing skin, so meh.

user posted image

Edited by Zovesta

Okay now for the rear legs. Look at where you have the arse end of the dragon. Look at where above the wings the hip joint is. It's at the point where you have your wing arm extended to. The back of the thigh is one huge ball of muscle. It is a long round oval shape. So if you mentally remove the wing you should have a large egg shape that has the large end closest to the base of the tail and the narrow end at the knee. Your thigh is too thin.

As for the wing skin I'm just saying to soften the lines you still keep the membrane but the connection doesn't need to be shown so clearly the entire length of the body. It is implied that it is connected via the shoulder and the taper point near the tail where the wing goes from a wing finger back into the body.

Uh... I have no idea what you just said. I'll come back here when homework isn't daunting on me and I'll try to fix everything you said.

What about the muscle?

Needs a little less texture (never though you'd hear that from ME, didja?) but it still need shading.

I think it means a natural lightsource, like a lihtsource that is common in nature. I love your avatars. Where'd you get them? xd.png