Dis

The sprite practice thread.

I think there is a brighter-colored highlight near the top? I would make it whiter so you can see it, and maybe make a darker line in the shaded area for some contrast. The white lumps, which I'm presuming is snow, look well... like white lumps. xd.png The few eggs Ive seen that have snow on them have a light dusting on top and maybe some at the bottom, like it's sitting in it, so maybe so some of the lumps at the bottom would help?

I think there is a brighter-colored highlight near the top? I would make it whiter so you can see it, and maybe make a darker line in the shaded area for some contrast. The white lumps, which I'm presuming is snow, look well... like white lumps. xd.png The few eggs Ive seen that have snow on them have a light dusting on top and maybe some at the bottom, like it's sitting in it, so maybe so some of the lumps at the bottom would help?

I was actually meaning to make it look like the egg was a little piece of sky with clouds, but I guess it doesn't really look like that. unsure.gif

I'll make the highlight more noticeable and add a darker line for more contrast. Thanks for the tips! smile.gif

Edit: Here's a different version with slightly more contrast in the shading. Does anybody have any ideas on making it seem more like a sky with clouds rather than a blue egg with tufts of snow?

user posted image

Edited by Lily14130

Sorry, I vanished. D: It looks much better! Though I don't have many ideas on how to make it look like clouds... Hm, the Daydream Egg sits on a cloud, so you could try something like that. You could also try putting some faint shadows around the clouds to make them seem like they're floating off the egg, though that makes it seem more 3D and less like a design.

Edited by skwerl56767

Sorry, I vanished. D: It looks much better! Though I don't have many ideas on how to make it look like clouds... Hm, the Daydream Egg sits on a cloud, so you could try something like that. You could also try putting some faint shadows around the clouds to make them seem like they're floating off the egg, though that makes it seem more 3D and less like a design.

Thanks for the advice! I'll see what I can do to make it look better. smile.gif

Alright, here is my first attempt ever at spriting something.

user posted image

I submitted it for the Hatched Egg Contest #8, but I wanted some crit/advice to see what I can make better next time around, like shading, colors, the egg in general, etc. smile.gif

(It's supposed to represent the head of Gypsy Danger from Pacific Rim)

Oh also, I agree with skwerl that adding shadows would help make it look less like snow and more like clouds.

Edited by gusearth1

Alright, here is my first attempt ever at spriting something.

user posted image

I submitted it for the Hatched Egg Contest #8, but I wanted some crit/advice to see what I can make better next time around, like shading, colors, the egg in general, etc. smile.gif

(It's supposed to represent the head of Gypsy Danger from Pacific Rim)

Oh also, I agree with skwerl that adding shadows would help make it look less like snow and more like clouds.

I'm not so experienced myself, but I think that your lineart and detailing is very nice! I'd just say that there just needs to be more dynamic shading and texturing. Like skwerl said about my egg, there just needs to be more contrast. And also, it looks like the visor could offer some great opportunity to add some liveliness to the design! smile.gif

And for my egg, yeah, I think I'll try that. Right now I'm also working on another sprite, so it could take some time for me to get around to it. wink.gif

Alright. Thanks for the advice! I really want to try getting into spriting, so I thought "Why not start with the easiest thing to sprite: An egg?" Maybe once I perfect the shading/texturing, (And learn how to actually use GIMP the right way xd.png) I can sprite a hatchling.

I tried, guys, I tried.

My first attempt at spriting didn't go as well as I wanted it to. xd.png

user posted image Egg wasn't too bad.

user posted image <- But then this happened.

Edit: I also realised something I missed with the hatchling which I -should- add if I end up working on it and not starting again.

WIIIIINGS. xd.png

Edited by Bubbleme

I tried, guys, I tried.

My first attempt at spriting didn't go as well as I wanted it to. xd.png

user posted image Egg wasn't too bad.

user posted image <- But then this happened.

Edit: I also realised something I missed with the hatchling which I -should- add if I end up working on it and not starting again.

WIIIIINGS. xd.png

xd.png The egg looks pretty good, but the hatchling. To be honest, I don't like the hatchling, although I shouldn't be talking because I can't do any better. xd.png

Since it doesn't have wings, it could be a S1 hatchie, and adding wings would make it S2.

My second attempt at egging. All I did was use the standard shading technique and recolor it. xd.png

user posted image"The side of this pale egg is stained with blood."

Third attempt, I used the textured shading technique and recolored it.

user posted image"This lime green egg is very bumpy, and seems to disappear from time to time."

Edited by gusearth1

My second attempt at egging. All I did was use the standard shading technique and recolor it. xd.png

user posted image"The side of this pale egg is stained with blood."

Third attempt, I used the textured shading technique and recolored it.

user posted image"This lime green egg is very bumpy, and seems to disappear from time to time."

My suggestions:

For egg 1: The red you have used contrasts with the yellow far too much. This creates a really sharp transition which should be avoided. You need the shade colours to blend together, so find an orange that fits in the middle. The yellows are so similar they can't be separated.

For egg 2: This egg has the opposite problem in that it almost looks unshaded. You want to be able to see the different colours you use in the egg without zooming in. Start with a much darker bottom shade and work up to your lighter ones.

I've given you some help on the colour use here. The top colour palette is yours, and the bottom is my suggestion. The green egg can just be filled in with my suggestions, but the second egg will need some more work.

user posted image

Edited by Ashywolf

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

It's been a little bit since ive sprited... this was also somewhat of a vent since ive lost a close friend today...

may or may not make into a thread later... its supposed to be based on potatoes.

Edited by Whitefire

It's been a little bit since ive sprited... this was also somewhat of a vent since ive lost a close friend today...

may or may not make into a thread later... its supposed to be based on potatoes.

They look like dough and I wanna squish them and mush them and they're cute as heck~ Good job~ *mush mush mush* So cute.

I'm sorry for your loss. Mushy dragons are always nice for low time cuddles. I hope things look up hun <3

Potato Pygmies? I dunno, it popped into my head.

But they ARE pretty cute, I must say.

10/10 would hug all day long.

They look like dough and I wanna squish them and mush them and they're cute as heck~ Good job~ *mush mush mush* So cute.

I'm sorry for your loss. Mushy dragons are always nice for low time cuddles. I hope things look up hun <3

Potato Pygmies? I dunno, it popped into my head.

But they ARE pretty cute, I must say.

10/10 would hug all day long.

Thanks <3 and yeah, theyre potato pygmies |D

I do have a bit of concept info for them [would need to type it tho pff], so should i whip up an egg and make a thread or

...should i whip up an egg and make a thread

I'd like to see a Dragon Request with these guys. They would so make it into the cave.

user posted image

All sorts of lighting problems and bad anatomy probably. I can't do lighting for the life of me tongue.gif It's inspired by the acraga coa caterpillar.

Tips on lighting would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Lindy

*Tosses egg into the thread and runs away*

user posted image

Tips? Crit? Shading/Texturing/Lighting? It's still one of my early attempts at spriting, and the first one that actually didn't fail. It's for the Sail-Back Rammers in Dragon Requests.

UPDATE~~~

user posted image

Edited by gusearth1

hi,

I was wondering if I could post one of my dragon drawings here ? I haven't been able to find anywhere else to post it.

leopold2111

This is the Sprite Practice thread. If it is a simple sketch, traditional or digital, then you're better off creating an art topic for yourself.

EDIT: I see you tried to make one. Art topics here are more for showing your own works rather than asking for others to post their dragons.

Edited by TehUltimateMage

okay thanks. smile.gif

leopold2111

edit that makes sense thanks again you have been very helpful.

Edited by leo

Here thing

user posted image

Decided to sprite what started as a digital painting but I don't really digitally paint, so no.

It's not done or anything, I want to smooth out the shading since right now it's just ditherditherditherditherditherdither.

But I'm posting it here in case people have tips.

Edited for round two:

user posted image

Edited by ab613