Dis

The sprite practice thread.

user posted image

If I could have some crits on these lines? I want it to be as good as it can be before I get too much into shading. I'm trying to venture out of Pokemon's simple style and get into DC-ish stuff.

To explain the holes in the arms and huge chest, this a a Soprano Nymrod, so it yells a lot (this would also explain the round, somewhat disproportional lower jaw). If I could have tips on how to make these stand out and what parts I may be doing wrong I would be very grateful.

The arms are really stiff and rigid without curved muscles. Is that intended? Other than that the lines look really good to me. o3o

user posted image

The first line I fixed. The second, longer one is actually a tube from the chest the feeds into the elbow hole, but I edited to make that clearer. In the end the arms got super brawny, but really this entire dragon was muscle practice for me so I'm okay with that.

Also changed some other stuff. Tell me if the changes were positive or negative.

EDIT: Got some major progress. Not too bad, I suppose.

user posted image>user posted image

Edited by Psycho Cat

user posted image

Dire need of spriting advice, so far it's just been me reading endless tutorials, and I really just need specific pointers on where I'm going wrong.

Edited by Murgatroyd

Well, so far it's pretty good. However, often the background leg (in this case the one on the left) is often higher than the foreground leg. I would thicken the part of the arm that's... not the forearm? (lol I'm terrible with anatomy terms) Also, I'm seeing some oddly jagged spots near the end of the tail.

user posted image

Aaaand if I could get crits on this.

Okay PsychoCat, this has been bothering me for awhile, but what is UP with that guy's right arm??? Why is it so short looking compared to left? Is it foreshortening? Is it just designed like that? It just looks so different from the left arm which looks like its total length goes past this guy's thighs.

Also, though this may be just me, but that line under this guy's left 'biceps' looks like an oddly place muscle line that doesn't fit the way the arm works (if it works like a human arm). I'm not sure if that was what you intended but that is what I see.

Shading wise, it looks good to me. It could just have more obvious shadows.

So... I'm new to the forums(But not DC biggrin.gif ) And I was just sort of looking about...

when I saw the spriting pages. I almost immediately opened paint.net and started to work on a sprite.

I'm rubbish at drawing anyway so this was very hard for me...

My first thing that looks kinda like a dragon, isn't re-sized and I don't know how to. So

I'm just going to post it.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/240x180q90/c/856/p3si.png

Please be harsh smile.gif I want to improve!

Thanks, Wolfy!

P.S: If Anyone could make it a bit better and add colour I would be grateful!

P.P.S: Also could you tell me where I'm going wrong?

So... I'm new to the forums(But not DC biggrin.gif ) And I was just sort of looking about...

when I saw the spriting pages. I almost immediately opened paint.net and started to work on a sprite.

I'm rubbish at drawing anyway so this was very hard for me...

My first thing that looks kinda like a dragon, isn't re-sized and I don't know how to. So

I'm just going to post it.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/240x180q90/c/856/p3si.png

Please be harsh smile.gif I want to improve!

Thanks, Wolfy!

P.S: If Anyone could make it a bit better and add colour I would be grateful!

P.P.S: Also could you tell me where I'm going wrong?

That's a nice start, but if you're going to sprite you have to do single-pixel thick lines, AKA zoom in and do little tiny outlines/details. I would mess around with the anatomy of the legs, and adjust the wings so the wing arm connects with the dragon shoulder, like how a tree branch connects to the trunk.

Yush, that is definitely a good start.

That's a nice start, but if you're going to sprite you have to do single-pixel thick lines, AKA zoom in and do little tiny outlines/details. I would mess around with the anatomy of the legs, and adjust the wings so the wing arm connects with the dragon shoulder, like how a tree branch connects to the trunk.

Thanks biggrin.gif

This a bit better??

Hope so! biggrin.gif

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/c/89/2enn.png

Edited by wolfygirl4

user posted image

Dire need of spriting advice, so far it's just been me reading endless tutorials, and I really just need specific pointers on where I'm going wrong.

Any takers? No?

user posted image

You have done a beautiful job lining. The anatomy needs help, though. The legs/arms don't seem to have any muscle structure.

user posted image

Aaaand if I could get crits on this.

I don't consider myself the best person to correct and critique other's works, but I can see some things here that I might be able to point out and 'correct'? I'm not great with describing nor am I a pixel artist, but I can try some redlines if you'd like ^^; I'm assuming you're going for more humanoid anatomy?

user posted image

I tried my had at a plain gray pygmy egg. Im not the best ^^

That image is too tiny to see, plus the lines are really blurry now. I don't think Paint.Net has options for spriting, use a program that allows you to do pixel drawing to try to fix it up a bit. (You can also move the image so that there's no extra space of blank to the left so that everything fits a little better)

I don't consider myself the best person to correct and critique other's works, but I can see some things here that I might be able to point out and 'correct'? I'm not great with describing nor am I a pixel artist, but I can try some redlines if you'd like ^^; I'm assuming you're going for more humanoid anatomy?

Well, it's weird. It's sorta a dragon/snake/human-ish thing. It was made for a different sprite. It'd love crits, though.

Well, it's weird. It's sorta a dragon/snake/human-ish thing. It was made for a different sprite. It'd love crits, though.

I focused on the arm rather than the entire thing. Also apologies for the blurriness because I have no idea how to fix that.

I suppose I could try something like that. HOWEVER, I will clear this now: the bottom shadow/line is NOT a muscle. It is a tube, extending from the chamber on the chest which is also not a muscle.

Also, it's blurry because it is a Jpeg. Would you mind redoing those lines as a PNG?

I suppose I could try something like that. HOWEVER, I will clear this now: the bottom shadow/line is NOT a muscle. It is a tube, extending from the chamber on the chest which is also not a muscle.

Also, it's blurry because it is a Jpeg. Would you mind redoing those lines as a PNG?

Feel free to reincorporate that, I'm not saying it shouldn't be there. I was just lining the muscular structure and not the little add-ons like that :3

And the app I have to use will only save things as a JPG. It's annoying and I need to use JPG for a lot of things where I would rather use a PNG :/

You have done a beautiful job lining. The anatomy needs help, though. The legs/arms don't seem to have any muscle structure.

Thank you, thank you! .o. I did feel like the legs were off- good to know I wasn't just imagining things ^^ I studied a couple of different references and this is what I came up with:

user posted image

I also added more shape/mass to the arms to make up for the lack of muscle from before. Better?

Edited by Murgatroyd

That image is too tiny to see, plus the lines are really blurry now. I don't think Paint.Net has options for spriting, use a program that allows you to do pixel drawing to try to fix it up a bit. (You can also move the image so that there's no extra space of blank to the left so that everything fits a little better)

Which one do you suggest?

So I,ve been using paint and as you can see from my last two fails, its not very good. Anyone suggest anything better than paint?-Thanks, Wolfy

So I,ve been using paint and as you can see from my last two fails, its not very good. Anyone suggest anything better than paint?-Thanks, Wolfy

http://pixlr.com/editor/

If you click the brush, then click the arrow next to "1" at the top, select the size 1 square brush. It's a nifty little thing for making neat pixels for me so far. It's free and has a lot of other useful tools, too, so that's always a plus.

Thank you, thank you! .o. I did feel like the legs were off- good to know I wasn't just imagining things ^^ I studied a couple of different references and this is what I came up with:

user posted image

I also added more shape/mass to the arms to make up for the lack of muscle from before. Better?

Someone suggested I make it smaller, so-

user posted image

http://pixlr.com/editor/

If you click the brush, then click the arrow next to "1" at the top, select the size 1 square brush. It's a nifty little thing for making neat pixels for me so far. It's free and has a lot of other useful tools, too, so that's always a plus.

biggrin.gif Thanks, it is very nifty! what size do you suggest making it? I did Width=100 Height=75? Is this, like, WAYYY too small? It seem so too me. (and before you think "THEN WHY THE HELL DID YOU MAKE IT THAT SMALL THEN!!??!" I don't know why I did. I think it was because the size limit was 100x75) What size did you do yours, it's AMAZING!