Dis

The sprite practice thread.

I tried an Eastern Dragon sprite, with the base being one of my many sketches.

This time, the sketch was for these lovely Fallow Earth Weavers dragon concept by Eclipseheart.

I got bored and decided to try spriting with my drawing tablet and I quite like the results <3

Crits?

And for small details such as horns, are they done on a seperate layer?

Edit:

Yea I know he's kinda small xd.png

user posted image

Edited by Stellaluna22

user posted image

Um, hello all.

I tried spriting a dragon for my profile picture. I have sprited some small Pokemon stuff before, but dragons are a new area for me.

-Maia

Stellaluna, for the most part your lines are smooth and clean. That's good! However, there are a few spots where they are bumpy, mostly on the belly.

You want your lines to be 1 pixel thick in all places.

Also, I can't quite tell what is going on with the dragon's left forefoot. It looks a bit squished next to the right one.

____

Maiandria - that's really good! I can definitely tell you like Pokemon due to the very limited color palette and style. Your lines are also very smooth and clean.

If you wanted to make it look more like a DC dragon, I would suggest adding more shades and details, as well as upping the contrast of light and shadow. It probably wouldn't hurt to add some more of your highlight color on the green areas. Since you are doing a headshot, you can actually add detailed scaling with your shading.

user posted image

Veni, vidi, failed -.-'

It didn't turn out quite well...

(I want it's scales to be quite smooth and moist-looking, as I thought this one to be living near the sea)

Cat

My attempt at a cat, and I have no clue how to shade. Suggestions?

Its a good start! smile.gif

However, I would definitely first post the lines here first because then we can see how you sprited the anatomy. Because the cat is black, we can't see the fine details.

Cats have very flexible spines, as seen here. Your cat has a very stiff-looking spine and it doesn't look like it will be able to bend very well. The base of the tail is also too straight.

Where the cat's legs attach to its body, there should be slight bump at the shoulder or rump (shoulder for front legs and rump area for hind legs). Hind legs have the slightest of bumps and its gradual. This indicates there are bones in there and gives it a good 3D and more realistic look. If you've ever felt a cat at its shoulder blades when it walks, you'll know.

Cat paws are very dainty; they actually walk on their toes rather than their entire foot. This is essential to when they fall from any height; their toe pads absorb the shock of the fall, hence the "cats have nine lives" saying. Cats are also slender but they have muscle. Keep that in mind.

The head looks a bit okay, the muzzle is too short though. Where's the adorable kitty nose? =^•^=

You should definitely take a look at the Ultimate Guide to Spriting which can be found here.

Keep practicing! And you don't need to follow a very squashed canvas size; when you're just beginning, start as large as needed. Having a drawing tablet helps a ton.

Here is my very first dragon sprite, drawn on the art program "Krita" and drawn with a Wacom tablet.

user posted image

For the most part, my lines are somewhat clean (as LadyLyzar pointed out, I forgot to clean the belly area). I myself am still a beginner spriter but it definitely pays off to stalk this thread for a while and look at the sprite guide.

I can draw you a simple cat sketch if you want, and you can sprite from it. It kind of looks like you drew your cat from no sketch. Having a sketch REALLY helps! If you do use a sketch, remember to use layers.

Keep it up! And really practice; it helps.

Really good photo of a cat.

STELLA CAN'T SHADE

Beginner ;A;

Crits on the fur, please? The body and head are just their base-ish colour. Might be toying around with stuff later.

user posted image

Edited by Stellaluna22

So I need to know if I'm on the right track with this hatchling. Its the last thing left to do on a topic I'm doing privately so I wanted to try it. I really just need to know if it looks ok, light source is supposed to be coming from the top left. It is supposed to have white feet, mainly looking for body shading crits.

user posted image

Edited by dragontamer44722

Not too sure how to fix it since I think part of the problem is the dragons pose, like a dog with its paw up against a wall. Did minor edit with a blank version next to it so that maybe it would help.

user posted image

I suggest that you change the outline color surrounding the feet to a cream or gray color, and maybe add a little elbow to the front arm?

user posted image

Veni, vidi, failed -.-'

It didn't turn out quite well...

(I want it's scales to be quite smooth and moist-looking, as I thought this one to be living near the sea)

Don't put yourself down lol, you did a very good job and you should be proud of it!

The shading is very nice and flows well. I'm not too sure how a water dwelling dragons scales would look, but I think you pulled it off ok, as they do look smooth with a nice glittery shimmer.

One thing I want to address though is that I think all of the horns and the red scales could use a tiny bit less dithering maybe...

Also the chin horn needs to be placed more to the left/center of the chin.

Is this any better?

user posted image

The original unedited image of the hatchling you submitted first was the best one out of the three poses, this is because the arm clearly followed the half turned angle the hatchling is on.

The edit to the hatchling's feet outline looks much better though.

So the hatchling was pretty much ok and it doesn't look like it needs anything more changed.

Edited by glustora

i need help shading the body of this dragon, and for some reason when i save it as a png it is still fuzzy?( at least one of my friends said it was) this is the first sprite i have made and there will be a different version of it once i learn how to do proper shading and all that, so basically this is the practice version of the actual one.

user posted image

Edited by flamewheel23

current

user posted imageuser posted image

user posted image

refined

I think you've done a great job overall on the refined sprites!

There are a couple things that could be better though.

For example, the thick lines for the chest muscles on the left sprite, especially the rightmost line doesn't look good and is too thick and defined, when there isn't really any reason for it to be that way. I would thin those lines down and then lighten the lines there.

The chest lines do look better on the "current" sprite, and they are in the right position, but they are still too defined.

Another option would be to just try and correct the angle/placement of the lines to make them fit better, because they don't look like they are in the right position.

The other thing I noticed is that the right sprite's torso looks very chunky and short compared to the left sprite's thinner and longer physique.

i need help shading the body of this dragon, and for some reason when i save it as a png it is still fuzzy?( at least one of my friends said it was) this is the first sprite i have made and there will be a different version of it once i learn how to do proper shading and all that, so basically this is the practice version of the actual one.

user posted image

You have some overall pretty serious anatomical problems going on here to even do the shading justice. To get better at dragon anatomy, I would for now try your hardest to imitate other peoples dragon anatomy, like anatomy from either DC sprites, (focus on good looking anatomy like pyropes, bloodscales, skywings, sunsongs) or from dragon art on e.g. deviantart.

Cuz you don't get good if you don't look at LOTS of references and pictures of things to get a strong sense of what something should look like in your head. You're trying to sprite a wyvern, so i would suggest looking a lots of pictures of dragons, bat wings, and digitigrade legs.

You can't have good looking shading without good looking anatomy ;D

user posted image

crits?

I like what you have so far, and the nice smooth texture of the egg. And it's a nice round egg shape.

One problem I spotted was that the egg's outline is too light and needs to be darker, because you can hardly differentiate between the outline and the inside of the egg.

Another thing to note is that even thought the egg has a nice, smooth phase between the values used to make up the shell, it gives off a flat look because lack of contrast.

I would go into an image editing program and raise the contrast slider.

If you do this it will appear much rounder and less flat.

I can post an example of what I mean if I'm possibly allowed to edit your egg?

before user posted image

after user posted image

any one is welcome to redline it, and also give critique

Edited by flamewheel23

before user posted image

after user posted image

any one is welcome to redline it, and also give critique

Looking MUCH better, still needs propper anatomy though xd.png

Edited by glustora

Someone tell me how close the shading is to satin fabric, like this.

user posted image

ARGH MY EYES ;_;

needs a little more contrast added, otherwise you're on track ;D

So I've spent some time this afternoon trying my hand at spriting... and I stumbled upon this so I want to know what you guys think of my very first sprite biggrin.gif

I haven't tried shading yet, but how do the lines look??

user posted image

user posted image

He's kinda small and I'm not sure how exactly to resize him, and I did this in Paint btw

Edited by Clya