Dis

The sprite practice thread.

I made this. He is very happy.

user posted image

Any critiques before I move onto coloring and shading?

EDIT: I tried doing some shading on this sprite but ughghghh it's too difficult sad.gif. Apparently I'm only good at outlines.

Edited by NarotizaDragonTamer

Any tips for this guy? I ran into some trouble on his legs.

user posted image

The lines themselves look great. However, there's a lot of extraneous lines (legs, chest, and whatever that is near the wingfinger) that I just don't understand what purpose they're serving. I think you were going for shape, but they're really just confusing things. Use shades for shaping. ^^

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I made this. He is very happy.

user posted image

Any critiques before I move onto coloring and shading?

EDIT: I tried doing some shading on this sprite but ughghghh it's too difficult sad.gif. Apparently I'm only good at outlines.

The lines look good! Are you accepting anatomy crit, though?

The wings should connect a little further down on the dragon to be able to carry it.

Is the thing poking into the water a tail? How long is it? At some point, it should begin to taper. Otherwise, the wings need to connect much further down on the body. I would personally give the dragon a little more chest as well. Plus, the bottom jaw is a tad thin. ^^;;

user posted image

poking the alt too

user posted image

Don't have any crit. Just want to say I really see the improvement and like these new sprites.

The lines look good! Are you accepting anatomy crit, though?

The wings should connect a little further down on the dragon to be able to carry it.

Is the thing poking into the water a tail? How long is it? At some point, it should begin to taper. Otherwise, the wings need to connect much further down on the body. I would personally give the dragon a little more chest as well. Plus, the bottom jaw is a tad thin. ^^;;

Yeah, it's tail is underwater. And also really long. It's a really long aquatic noodle with wings.

But anyway, I generally suck at even understanding any sort of anatomy. I don't really feel the need to complete this one.

Don't have any crit. Just want to say I really see the improvement and like these new sprites.

o3o b thank~ also finishing the rest of these since i noticed the links have been broken on the CL for awhile so might as well, ya?

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image new

also very minor recoloring on the eg user posted image just so it matches with the hue fixes.

with this, think i can go update the thread with these?

o3o b thank~ also finishing the rest of these since i noticed the links have been broken on the CL for awhile so might as well, ya?

also very minor recoloring on the eg user posted image just so it matches with the hue fixes.

with this, think i can go update the thread with these?

Yeah, I think they're good to go. o3o

My first attempt at spriting. Give me crits. smile.gif

I used ten colours. Is that a lot, or too few, or alright? Also, I think I did too much dithering.

user posted image

i'm not good at spriting but i'll try to give some crits.

The tail is not really that well. The outher line is good but the other is not. they are too straight. The rump........yeah is a too big. The back legs are akward.

I do like the sprite and how you shaded the wings. the wing muscle is a bit too big i think.

For being the first sprite it is good.

My first attempt at spriting. Give me crits. smile.gif

I used ten colours. Is that a lot, or too few, or alright? Also, I think I did too much dithering.

user posted image

Not that I know a ton about spriting, but that wing looks like it's facing away (like we're seeing the back of the wing). Not sure why, maybe the part that goes "over" could extend past the back of the wing, and maybe add some more shadows?

Just a note that I've unpinned this thread on a trial basis. We've got a lot of sticky'd topics here, and this may get more attention unpinned. If, after a month or so, people prefer the thread pinned, I can re-pin it.

Been working on a concept, but it doesn't seem to get much attention. So I'm going to try to get some response here smile.gif

What do you guys/girls think so far?

user posted image

Had a dragon concept floating in my mind for a few days, decided to do some work on sprites before I go post it in the dragon requests board.

user posted image

Could I have some line and anatomy crits? I'm aware that the head is shaped kind of funny and that he only has one wing finger, that was intentional.

Sorry it's not transparent tongue.gif That'll be fixed later

I'm completely new to spriting but still wanted to give it a shot!

Here's my attempt at making a sprite based on Gradient's sketch:

user posted image

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Been working on a concept, but it doesn't seem to get much attention. So I'm going to try to get some response here smile.gif

What do you guys/girls think so far?

user posted image

The webbing and fins look good, but the arms of the fins closest to the viewer (I'm not phrasing this very well, but hopefully it gets across) are a bit awkward. The dragon's right fin has a very straight line that could use more of a curve.

The dragon's left fin connects at a bit of a weird angle--this would look better if you just got rid of the few pixels connecting the fin to the underbelly scales. The thickness lessens a bit quickly, it bends quite sharply. Try smoothing that out into a rounder, more natural looking curve, and making the thickness taper off more gradually.

It also looks like the tongue is thicker than the lower jaw, but maybe that's just the angle it's at?

Had a dragon concept floating in my mind for a few days, decided to do some work on sprites before I go post it in the dragon requests board.

user posted image

Could I have some line and anatomy crits? I'm aware that the head is shaped kind of funny and that he only has one wing finger, that was intentional.

Sorry it's not transparent tongue.gif That'll be fixed later

These lines are very clean, and the curves and lines look pretty natural. Great work on the fur, too.

I would make the wing fingers thinner and make the wrist more pronounced. It's a little hard to tell what's going on with the far wing--it's folded, but is the visible line a fold in the membrane or a finger?

The bend at the tip of the tail is a little sharp, and the feet are a little cartoonish, but that might have been what you were going for.

I'm completely new to spriting but still wanted to give it a shot!

Here's my attempt at making a sprite based on Gradient's sketch:

user posted image

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Great work for a first attempt! The biggest problem here is jagged/messy lines and staircased pixels. For example, look at the visible wing finger on the wing closest to us: the thickness of the finger is inconsistent, and the bending is a bit too jagged. The toes are a little funny-looking, but I'm not sure how exactly to describe it.

I can't really tell what the far wing is doing. :\

Hope this is helpful.

It's looks like the egg has 2 textures on it. Is the lighter of those supposed to be the shading?

yea, but also the idea of the dragon was it had many different shades of grey on it

so its a mix of different shades

but i'm still working on my shading, its better then it used to be but its still pretty bad

but being terrible at something is the first step to being kinda okay I suppose.

also you are being really helpful, just thought I should say

Edited by blockEdragon