Dis

The sprite practice thread.

biggrin.gif Thanks, it is very nifty! what size do you suggest making it? I did Width=100 Height=75? Is this, like, WAYYY too small? It seem so too me. (and before you think "THEN WHY THE HELL DID YOU MAKE IT THAT SMALL THEN!!??!" I don't know why I did. I think it was because the size limit was 100x75) What size did you do yours, it's AMAZING!

100x75 is alright. The sprite above is even smaller - 79x90 pixels.

The reason your earlier sprite was barely visible was because you drew it in one size and only shrank it. It would look better if you traced over it, making sure each line is a pixel thick. That way you'd have a smaller sprite that is easily visible.

From there you can work on fixing anatomy and making lines more smooth, etc.

ETA: In the editor, find the "Navigator" box, and set it to 200% (or even higher) if you're worried about having to sketch over such a small space. Just remember to switch back to 100% to make sure the sprite still looks good wink.gif

Edited by RulenneClarissa

100x75 is alright. The sprite above is even smaller - 79x90 pixels.

The reason your earlier sprite was barely visible was because you drew it in one size and only shrank it. It would look better if you traced over it, making sure each line is a pixel thick. That way you'd have a smaller sprite that is easily visible.

From there you can work on fixing anatomy and making lines more smooth, etc.

ETA: In the editor, find the "Navigator" box, and set it to 200% (or even higher) if you're worried about having to sketch over such a small space. Just remember to switch back to 100% to make sure the sprite still looks good wink.gif

Pixlr has a neat way of checking this, actually, if I may interject again. View-> Actual pixels, and then make sure your pic's window is the size of zoom you want, and click View->show all. It automatically fits the window's size.

Also, thank you! I still have a loooot to learn, though, that's for sure. Hence why I'm here tongue.gif

Edited by Murgatroyd

Pixlr has a neat way of checking this, actually, if I may interject again. View-> Actual pixels, and then make sure your pic's window is the size of zoom you want, and click View->show all. It automatically fits the window's size.

Also, thank you! I still have a loooot to learn, though, that's for sure. Hence why I'm here tongue.gif

Here is my attempt, your still much better biggrin.gif

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/c/849/1p34.png tongue.gif Crits Please biggrin.gif

Edited by wolfygirl4

Here is my attempt, your still much better biggrin.gif

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/c/849/1p34.png tongue.gif Crits Please biggrin.gif

The anatomy is waaaay off. I don't mean to be harsh in any way, but everything there needs to be fixed. It honestly looks like it took one minute unu The image is too small for me to do a few redlines, so all I can really say is to study some of the other sprites, see the basics of all their dragon's anatomy and also look at some diagrams and photos of real creatures and studies of them. I recommend feline and canine anatomy for the body, and bats for the wings :3

The anatomy is waaaay off. I don't mean to be harsh in any way, but everything there needs to be fixed. It honestly looks like it took one minute unu The image is too small for me to do a few redlines, so all I can really say is to study some of the other sprites, see the basics of all their dragon's anatomy and also look at some diagrams and photos of real creatures and studies of them. I recommend feline and canine anatomy for the body, and bats for the wings :3

Don't worry, I need to know if its good or not, so I don't mind harsh. Thanks for the tips. I will post a new sprite after I've studied everything you said to biggrin.gif

I made a test egg to practice shading with. It uses a somewhat custom shading. Any comments? Critiques? Shading and colors are hard.

post-25-1398215853.png

I made a test egg to practice shading with. It uses a somewhat custom shading. Any comments? Critiques? Shading and colors are hard.

That's actually a nicely done job! Eggs are wonderful for practice spriting

Any crits on this guys? I'm sure there's ones for the wings, i'd like to perfect this

By the way guys, this was freehand.. i know the arm is lumpy (working on fixing that) and the face needs a darker outline. I'm looking for others smile.gif

post-25-1398218691.png

Edited by IcarusTheDragon

@Shoko: That really is quite nice. I only suggest making it darker. I know that up close contrast can be scary (trust me, I know firsthand) but don't be afraid to go all out, really. Darken those shadows!

@ITD: Hmm, nice start. However, like Shoko's egg your shadows are a bit too light. This makes the sprite look blurier than it really is, especially when spriting in DC style. The front paws are also a bit big. Have you ever heard the joke about your hand being bigger than your face, and then someone slaps you? Well, the same applies to dragons(minus the slapping). The foot should not be bigger/as big as the head.

I just found this thread, oops. I guess this is sorta for practice, but in more of the DC style than beginning to sprite. Is it still ok that I post this here? I'm having trouble grasping how to do some of the gorgeous shading styles I see here! It's still very much a WIP, sorry. I can remove and post again when it's more completed if it's too hard to tell where I'm currently at.

I'm practicing a sprite for a concept I'm submitting here, but I'm afraid all I've ever done has been edits to fakemon sprites. I'm having trouble going more detailed! Any help or suggestions? It's a WIP but I think you can get a good enough idea of where I am now with it.

user posted image

Also, I'm totally willing to help anyone else in the thread! Maybe not tonight but I'll give some redlines and critique on the weekend c:

Edited by High Lord November

I just found this thread, oops. I guess this is sorta for practice, but in more of the DC style than beginning to sprite. Is it still ok that I post this here? I'm having trouble grasping how to do some of the gorgeous shading styles I see here! It's still very much a WIP, sorry. I can remove and post again when it's more completed if it's too hard to tell where I'm currently at.

Also, I'm totally willing to help anyone else in the thread! Maybe not tonight but I'll give some redlines and critique on the weekend c:

Oooh what an awesome sprite!

Well, for starters, it looks like the near arm is missing an elbow and its wrist isn't defined. Or does it have an elbow? I see something that looks kind of like one but it seems to be in the wrong place for arms that small.

It could use more defining outlines. Also, when shading, I highly suggest using color theory and shifting your hues while choosing highlights and shadows. It gives the sprite more depth and makes it more interesting and pleasing to the eye than just going closer to white and black.

For red, I tend to move closer to brown or purple for my shadows and orange or pink for my highlights, depending. For yellow, I go towards brown, orange, or green for shadows and then sometimes green for the highlights (but not when I'm still using green for the shadows). Yellow is harder for me to highlight so sometimes I just make a paler yellow.

Oooh what an awesome sprite!

Well, for starters, it looks like the near arm is missing an elbow and its wrist isn't defined. Or does it have an elbow? I see something that looks kind of like one but it seems to be in the wrong place for arms that small.

It could use more defining outlines. Also, when shading, I highly suggest using color theory and shifting your hues while choosing highlights and shadows. It gives the sprite more depth and makes it more interesting and pleasing to the eye than just going closer to white and black.

For red, I tend to move closer to brown or purple for my shadows and orange or pink for my highlights, depending. For yellow, I go towards brown, orange, or green for shadows and then sometimes green for the highlights (but not when I'm still using green for the shadows). Yellow is harder for me to highlight so sometimes I just make a paler yellow.

Thank you! c:

Ooh, I can totally see that about the shading. Woa. Thank you for pointing that out! I will work on that. I will also give him an elbow and wrist, haha. Thanks for the help, I will work on that!

Okay Two things!

1) I darkened the egg and attached it below. Does it look any better in terms of contrast? Any Comments? I know the shading isn't great. The dithering is kinda spotty...

2) I made a honey pot badge for a thread. I think I made it too big. It's a little smaller than the Gingerbread House badge.

user posted image

Does it look okay? How is the Shading? Do the bees look bad? Comments? Criticisms? The pot is supposed to be brown with a glass window center, which reveals the honey contents. Also, does the honey look like honey?

post-25-1398391380.png

Um... decided I would give spriting another try. It's kinda small...

user posted image

Hmm, good start, but it would appear you saved it as a jpeg. It's very blurry. I would also highly suggest looking up bird wing anatomy, as that looks more like... well, I'm not sure, but not feathers.

Other than this, it's a pretty good start. Correct these things and I'll be waiting to get really deep into stuff.

Okay Two things!

1) I darkened the egg and attached it below. Does it look any better in terms of contrast? Any Comments? I know the shading isn't great. The dithering is kinda spotty...

2) I made a honey pot badge for a thread. I think I made it too big. It's a little smaller than the Gingerbread House badge.

user posted image

Does it look okay? How is the Shading? Do the bees look bad? Comments? Criticisms? The pot is supposed to be brown with a glass window center, which reveals the honey contents. Also, does the honey look like honey?

I would still like comments on my honey pot.

And the egg too.

Please?

post-25-1398991372.png

The pot's top edge seems a bit flat, as if the opening isn't actually a circle. The flat line causes it; it's best to round it off a bit more.

Other than that it looks fine smile.gif You could lighten the outlines on the lighter side a bit, but that's a style choice.

The egg is fine too. The yellow shading... it seems dirty yellow, but that might be what you're going for. If it's not what you're going for, try gradually moving the darker shades toward red. The darkest shade could very well be orange if you see it on its own, but combined with the lighter yellow shades it will look yellow smile.gif

user posted image

This is actually inspired by something else I made, and I was so surprised by my success I decided to do it on a larger scale. Doing it super big was haaaard, though, which is why I came here. Ignore the thing on the right. That's for later.

Original: user posted image

Coincidentally, the yellow on mine shows exactly what Rhynn is talking about.

It does indeed happy.gif

On the blue stone thingy, are you going for a textured look, or a more shiny look like in the original?

Shiny. I'm not great at orbs, though. I only did so good on the first one because it was on such a small scale.

EDIT:

Any better?

user posted image

Edited by Psycho Cat

To really make it shiny, I'd make it less textured. Zooming in I see a lot of different shades; getting that number down would help a bit, already.

What may also help, is having a look at this tutorial. Especially the shiny things, of course smile.gif

Like this?

user posted image

I must admit, it is pretty nice... for a glass orb. I cut down on the amount of shades and shaded it like the tutorial said, but it's not quite what I was going for. I wanted a more metallic sheen, like a cobalt/silver alloy. I do appreciate the link though. I'll keep it for future reference.

Ooh, metallic shiny. Yeah, that is indeed a different shiny altogether.

The thing to remember with metallic things is they reflect a lot. Dark shades will be right next to light shades. Darks are pretty dark, lights are really light. They take in reflected light, too; if the light source is top left, there'll be a light bit at the edge on the bottom right, usually.

I hope I'm explaining it in a way that's useful to you xd.png If not let me know and I'll see if I can whip up an example smile.gif

Hmm, I think I did okay on the contrast part, but getting any light on the bottom proved pretty hard.

post-25-1399236290.png