Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Wow, gorgeous lines! I like it.

The line on the back of the front arm disappears which is kind of distracting.

I can definitely see a good shading update from the first to the second sprite. Light source is from directly above?

It looks just a little flat. Maybe a little more contrast between shading colors?

user posted image - >user posted image

Is this better? I redid the shading on the backmost underbelly (kind of hard to refer to specific parts of a dragon if it's basically just arms and body). I still think it looks a little flat but I'm tired of playing with it today. tongue.gif

Zovesta's spriting tutorials seem to be gone, as in, the link doesn't lead to any image. Does anyone have them saved? Thanks in advance.

I'm working on one of the sprites from one of the Dragon Request threads, and I'm trying to figure out how dithering works. Before I commit too much time to shading this sprite, can someone tell me whether I'm going in the right direction with the right-hand wing (the darker one)? It kind of looks weird to me. What could I do to improve the 'gradiency' of the wing?

user posted image

user posted image - >user posted image

Is this better? I redid the shading on the backmost underbelly (kind of hard to refer to specific parts of a dragon if it's basically just arms and body). I still think it looks a little flat but I'm tired of playing with it today. tongue.gif

That's definitely better! I don't think it looks flat anymore. =3 Some of the shading could blend better - where you can see specks of just one pixel in a differently colored region, but I have no idea how to smooth that except perhaps to add more colors in those areas. That's still an area of shading I haven't figured out, though. >_e

I'm working on one of the sprites from one of the Dragon Request threads, and I'm trying to figure out how dithering works. Before I commit too much time to shading this sprite, can someone tell me whether I'm going in the right direction with the right-hand wing (the darker one)? It kind of looks weird to me. What could I do to improve the 'gradiency' of the wing?

user posted image

Don't try and make specific shapes. It might help to fold a piece of paper similar to the wing and apply a light source to it that you're hoping to mimic. Then you can physically see where lighter and darker shadows fall.

You want to use a few colors (more than two). The difference in shades should be noticeable but not sudden or starkly contrasting. You'll want to use highlights and shadows, too.

It's looking good so far. =3

How's this?

user posted image

Are there enough colors in the wings? The colors of the left-side one still seem to change abruptly to me.

Edited by Brisingrlover

How's this?

user posted image

Are there enough colors in the wings? The colors of the left-side one still seem to change abruptly to me.

The contrast is too striking on the left and a tad too subtle on the right, yes. xP

It is an improvement, though!

Shading is so tough because it needs to be fluid. You can't follow strict lines for it. Right now it looks like you evenly placed lighter and darker pixels in the opposite areas, so the end result is more textural than shaded. It might help just to either zoom in on some DC sprites or save them and zoom in on then so you can see how they mixed colors.

It also can take time to find the right mix of colors for shades - I think it's a definitely Goldilocks problem that takes a lot of practice.

Okay, I kinda shamefully based the colors of my shades off of the alt black male sprite. I've only finished the left wing, but how does it look?

user posted image

And after looking at the other DC sprites, I've realized that only some of them actually use dithering. How do you know when to use dithering vs. another color? Or should I just not use dithering at all?

I'm claiming credit for these because I DID make them. I did them freehand. Any advice would be appreciated, I realize it's a very simple dragon, and once I've got it down pat, I'd be happy to donate the lines for other artists to practice on.

user posted image

user posted image

How do you know when to use dithering vs. another color? Or should I just not use dithering at all?

It's really a technique thing. Dithering makes a different effect than introducing new colors, and some artists like that while others prefer more colors. Most pixel artists use a combination of the two techniques.

I think dithering gets you more of a texture and more colors make the art smoother. But it's definitely got more use than texturing. Really, it's your style that determines how frequently you should use it. There's no right or wrong when it comes to deciding when to dither. ^^

The new wing is definitely much better. There's no shame at all in using references.

There's not much contrast in the sprite overall. I'd add more highlights and darken the shadows.

I'm claiming credit for these because I DID make them. I did them freehand. Any advice would be appreciated, I realize it's a very simple dragon, and once I've got it down pat, I'd be happy to donate the lines for other artists to practice on.

user posted image

user posted image

You've got some wonky anatomy going on there. :/ Xe's got a case of hangbutt--the membrane on those wings should extend further along, to the hips at least (I think??). I don't see a wing shoulder either. Since wings are modified arms, there should be some shoulder connecting it to the body. I can't tell what's going on with its back leg.

As for the spriting style itself, you've got a lot of straight lines that look a little awkward. Try curving them to make a more natural-looking line.

Kind of a lot of crit sorry :x

You've got some wonky anatomy going on there. :/ Xe's got a case of hangbutt--the membrane on those wings should extend further along, to the hips at least (I think??). I don't see a wing shoulder either. Since wings are modified arms, there should be some shoulder connecting it to the body. I can't tell what's going on with its back leg.

As for the spriting style itself, you've got a lot of straight lines that look a little awkward. Try curving them to make a more natural-looking line.

Kind of a lot of crit sorry :x

It's ok, it's kind of a lot of practice and advice I need! I was trying for a pose of the dragon sitting, like a cat or rabbit. I'll try to make more curvy lines *glad I bookmarked the tutorials* I'll repost once I've worked on it a bit

It's really a technique thing. Dithering makes a different effect than introducing new colors, and some artists like that while others prefer more colors. Most pixel artists use a combination of the two techniques.

I think dithering gets you more of a texture and more colors make the art smoother. But it's definitely got more use than texturing. Really, it's your style that determines how frequently you should use it. There's no right or wrong when it comes to deciding when to dither. ^^

The new wing is definitely much better. There's no shame at all in using references.

There's not much contrast in the sprite overall. I'd add more highlights and darken the shadows.

Ooh! Thanks for the feedback. How's this?

user posted image

I have a feeling that the shadows on the right wing are wrong, but I'm not sure what exactly they should look like.

user posted image

user posted image

Worked on the blue a bit, tried to make it more curvy. Help, I cannot legs.

user posted image

Worked on the blue a bit, tried to make it more curvy. Help, I cannot legs.

user posted image

Wow, that's a really good starting sprite!

This is my favorite tutorial for how to do curved lines: http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/426486997...el-art-tutorial

The wing also still needs to connect further down on the rump of the dragon. Imagine the dragon flying as it is now - the butt will hang and weight the dragon down ("hangbutt") when it flies. The wings should support and carry the rump.

Feet I don't know how to help with. Sorry. D:

Ooh! Thanks for the feedback. How's this?

user posted image

I have a feeling that the shadows on the right wing are wrong, but I'm not sure what exactly they should look like.

Wowie. Look at the improvement in your shading!!! Looking great.

So from the left wing, it appears the light source is about directly to the right of the dragon. So if you imagine a light being shone on the dragon from the right, the ring wing will block most of that light and be in more shadow except perhaps the light that bounces back and provides a kind of eerie highlight on the edges of the bends.

-The highlights will be more offset than centered like you have it now, I think. Maybe.

That's badly explained. =X I think the best way to do it is build yourself a quick example. Crumple a paper a little and then fold it in 1/3-2/3 proportion and use the crumples to curve the paper like wings. Then shine a flashlight or lamp on the wing that's further out and see what kind of shadows/light you get on the other side of the paper. >_e

Wow, that's a really good starting sprite!

This is my favorite tutorial for how to do curved lines: http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/426486997...el-art-tutorial

The wing also still needs to connect further down on the rump of the dragon. Imagine the dragon flying as it is now - the butt will hang and weight the dragon down ("hangbutt") when it flies. The wings should support and carry the rump.

Feet I don't know how to help with. Sorry. D:

I may have to make the wings a different shape. It seems like the wing "upper arm" is really long, and if I add more wing membrane it'll be farther back than the first wing finger 0_0 thanks for the advice and link, I've bookmarked it in my "spriting tutorial" folder. Lol yes, I actually have one!

Ravenlady, feel free to PM me. I cannot sprite, but I may be able to give a few anatomical pointers ^^

I've been trying to do my own dragon request (not much response *shrug) and I've made a sprite for the adult male, could I get some crits on this? I know I can probably improve it an insane amount, but I'm not 100% sure what exactly needs to be done.

user posted image

I like posting my lineart with flat colors so the various areas are more identifiable. Here's the uncolored version:

user posted image

Don't worry if it seems like a lot of crit, I need as much input as I caN get so I can improve smile.gif

I've been trying to do my own dragon request  (not much response *shrug) and I've made a sprite for the adult male, could I get some crits on this? I know I can probably improve it an insane amount, but I'm not 100% sure what exactly needs to be done.

user posted image

I like posting my lineart with flat colors so the various areas are more identifiable. Here's the uncolored version:

user posted image

Don't worry if it seems like a lot of crit, I need as much input as I caN get so I can improve smile.gif

Improvement already. ^^ A few things to remember:

Try to think about where the bones will be on your dragon. The spine extends down to the tail, meaning vertebrae there won't be able to move so sharply. I'd look at the curves in snake skeletons as references for tail curves, see how there are many while still allowing for the bones to shift comfortably.

Picture the skull as well--the lower jaw won't be that much shorter than the upper.

Wings are modified arms, so they'll have a similar structure. Wing fingers are fingers, so they bend kind of like ours. This dragon will have an easier time flying than your last sprite, because of the longer wing membrane, but I would make it a little longer to provide more lift for part of the tail.

The horns look okay, but are at the wrong angle, so I tried rotating them a little.

I made a quick redline but I won't post it unless you're okay with that. ^^ since I didn't get permission and all

user posted image

This is not a dragon by any means, unsure.gif

but how is the dithering? I'm not super sure how to dither.

Is the Outline good or too light?

Is there enough Shading and Highlights?

Other problems that I'm not experienced enough to see?

(*I'm not quite sure how to fix the log and the wing shoulder*)

Edited by ArendaBluez13

user posted image

This is not a dragon by any means,  unsure.gif

but how is the dithering? I'm not super sure how to dither.

Is the Outline good or too light?

Is there enough Shading and Highlights?

Other problems that I'm not experienced enough to see?

(*I'm not quite sure how to fix the log and the wing shoulder*)

Not bad!

If you are going for a clearly visible outline, then it's currently too light. Some styles use very light lines, and that's fine too. Right now it's not distinct, but it doesn't look like a mistake IMO.

For a more detailed feel, try looking at some feathered wing diagrams. It's not 100% necessary but it might help add more realism and detail to your sprite.

Remember that animals are not just smooth surfaces. S/he might have fluff visible where wind misplaced the feathers, but also tightly knit feathers likely along his/her wings. Expressing some variety in the arrangement of the feathers will help add a look of life.

It looks to me like the shadows and highlights are in the right places. ^^

I personally would not rely on dithering to shade an entire piece. You might have some places that are entirely one color, with a gradient rather than dithered transition. It's up to you, of course, but I think playing around with different shading techniques might pay off.

The background is also very plain. Are you planning to add more detail, or are you keeping it a single shade? If you're keeping it as it is, you might do better to simply make the image transparent. My logic is that unless a background significantly benefits art, it's best to leave it transparent. Just me, though. smile.gif

Not bad!

If you are going for a clearly visible outline, then it's currently too light. Some styles use very light lines, and that's fine too. Right now it's not distinct, but it doesn't look like a mistake IMO.

For a more detailed feel, try looking at some feathered wing diagrams. It's not 100% necessary but it might help add more realism and detail to your sprite.

Remember that animals are not just smooth surfaces. S/he might have fluff visible where wind misplaced the feathers, but also tightly knit feathers likely along his/her wings. Expressing some variety in the arrangement of the feathers will help add a look of life.

It looks to me like the shadows and highlights are in the right places. ^^

I personally would not rely on dithering to shade an entire piece. You might have some places that are entirely one color, with a gradient rather than dithered transition. It's up to you, of course, but I think playing around with different shading techniques might pay off.

The background is also very plain. Are you planning to add more detail, or are you keeping it a single shade? If you're keeping it as it is, you might do better to simply make the image transparent. My logic is that unless a background significantly benefits art, it's best to leave it transparent. Just me, though. smile.gif

Thank you, the background was just to make sure there weren't any white spots, I wasn't planning on keeping it. biggrin.gif

I still need to add highlights to some of the individual feathers to add some shape. I tried to keep the wing as close to the original picture as possible, but resizing made everything fuzzy tongue.gif

Improvement already. ^^ A few things to remember:

Try to think about where the bones will be on your dragon. The spine extends down to the tail, meaning vertebrae there won't be able to move so sharply. I'd look at the curves in snake skeletons as references for tail curves, see how there are many while still allowing for the bones to shift comfortably.

Picture the skull as well--the lower jaw won't be that much shorter than the upper.

Wings are modified arms, so they'll have a similar structure. Wing fingers are fingers, so they bend kind of like ours. This dragon will have an easier time flying than your last sprite, because of the longer wing membrane, but I would make it a little longer to provide more lift for part of the tail.

The horns look okay, but are at the wrong angle, so I tried rotating them a little.

I made a quick redline but I won't post it unless you're okay with that. ^^ since I didn't get permission and all

Please post your redline! I'd like to see your thoughts on this and I'm a very visual learner.

user posted image

such glory, much wow.

I kind of want to add wings, but at the same time I think leaving it wingless would be much more entertaining.