Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Its difficult to determine if the lines are good when its already shaded in.

Whoops let me fix that;

user posted image

This is before some minor tweaking and color/shading. So there might be some minor changes between the other one.

Also fixed up my original post ^.^

So Opinions/Comments/Suggestions?

Edited by Clya

user posted image

I love ur potatooo lmao

i think the only thing that needs changing is the right end's three pixel line, it looks like a weird tiny bump on the end.

So I've spent some time this afternoon trying my hand at spriting... and I stumbled upon this so I want to know what you guys think of my very first sprite :D

I haven't tried shading yet, but how do the lines look??

user posted image

user posted image

He's kinda small and I'm not sure how exactly to resize him, and I did this in Paint btw

You might have to resize him in some kind of image editing software like GIMP

You've done a nice job spriting for a beginner. Though one thing you didn't do is that you always need to clean up the lines before you start to colour or shade in any sprite you create.

I would recommend looking at spriting tutorials on how to make nice smooth lines.

These are some tutorials i have come across that are pretty imformative:

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs23/f/2008/003..._by_lollige.png

http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs49/f/2009/219...ucas_irineu.png

So this is something I'm trying on a different site but I really need crits on the shading since I have only done it once on something smaller. I need to know if I'm on the right track.

user posted image

Whoops let me fix that;

user posted image

This is before some minor tweaking and color/shading. So there might be some minor changes between the other one.

Also fixed up my original post ^.^

So Opinions/Comments/Suggestions?

Most your lines are really good! However, you need to play around with smoothing out the bottom of the tail area in particular, as it gets kind of jagged.

As well - are you looking for anatomy crits? Because the legs are really small for the size of this dragon. ^^

So this is something I'm trying on a different site but I really need crits on the shading since I have only done it once on something smaller. I need to know if I'm on the right track.

user posted image

The back looks more like a fur pattern than shading due to the low amount of shades used.

The rabbit is suuuuuuuper cute, though.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Most your lines are really good! However, you need to play around with smoothing out the bottom of the tail area in particular, as it gets kind of jagged.

As well - are you looking for anatomy crits? Because the legs are really small for the size of this dragon. ^^

I'd love some crits ^.^ I'm new to this and this is a little sketch I drew out in Physics, and I decided to practice spriting.

I've been working on smoothing out the lines and once I'll finish I'll see what some of think smile.gif

Crits on this one would be nice, thank y'all for your time (:

user posted image

I think you should add another middle color on the wings or lighten the middle color you have now a little.

user posted image

How does this look? I did a simple dragon head sprite, I can send the screenshot of it zoomed in if you can't tell how it looks. Did I do fairly well on the shading? Crits? Comments? Suggestions? smile.gif

I purposely was going for a simple design, nothing too complex even though I may be capable of doing something more complex. But I wanted something simple to try cleaning up lines with and working with shading.

Edited by Clya

user posted image

How does this look? I did a simple dragon head sprite, I can send the screenshot of it zoomed in if you can't tell how it looks. Did I do fairly well on the shading? Crits? Comments? Suggestions? smile.gif

I purposely was going for a simple design, nothing too complex even though I may be capable of doing something more complex. But I wanted something simple to try cleaning up lines with and working with shading.

I'll do a more detailed crit when I get home to a computer, but I'll say that the shading doesn't have enough contrast (I know, I'm a sucker for contrast). You can barely see it. Currently it looks more like a gradient than shading. Don't be afraid to use darker blues or lighter blues, or even hue-shift to blue-purple or blue-green. The lines also seem like they're too thick as they can be slimmed down to one pixel, and the black makes the sprite look cartoony.

I'd also say have some shadow along bottom of the jaw, where it connects to the neck, otherwise your sprite looks like a cookie! Use shadows to make shapes, rather than make the shapes dictate the shadows.

Crits on this one would be nice, thank y'all for your time (:

user posted image

The shading is really pixelated, especially the dark wings. Some closer transition colors would help. ^^

The links look lovely, though!

user posted image

The lines look good! There are two kinks on the curve of the nose that could use smoothed out. I can circle them if you don't see them. ^^

I did have to zoom all the way in to see the shading, though. You need more contrast between colors and you need to be bolder with where you place them. Shading isn't just going to be on the neck. Shades are going to exist more uniformly over the face and horns. Colors are going to blend. Unfortunately, shading is not just a smooth transition from one color to the next. That dragon head had shape and texture to it that is going to affect the shading. Try zooming in on some DC sprites to see more what I mean. ^^

It may also help to crumple up a piece of paper and holding it under some light and studying how the light sources interact.

It's a really good start, so I hope you keep trying!

Errh... Soo... Hi people!

I'm not around a lot, and I don't know the forums very well, so I do hope I'm doing this stuff right, got the right thread and all that!

Aaanyway, decided to have a first go at spriting! I found an ancient drawing which I decided to try to pratice with. I named him Mr. Fluffs:

user posted image

(Let's hope postimg.org works for this...)

I know he's got some anatomy problems, head, horns and legs especially, so I was really just wondering if any of you guys had any critique about, well, anything else.

Shading, color choices (such creamy with such chocolate?), texturing (did I get that fluff right?), lines, anything.

Thanks. smile.gif

...Woah, he ended up more like a sheep than I ever realized. Sheepy.

Edited by Herada

(I'm new in this thread so I hope I do the thing as it's supposed to - meaning I hope I don't do something wrong)

Welp, I made a little Furret sprite a couple of days ago, but I haven't gotten into shading or highlighting yet. The lines are also black for now, but I'm planning to color them later. The thing I mostly need advice about is shading. Does anyone have tips how shadings should be done on sprites? Comments and critique in general would be appreciated too. :3c

user posted imageuser posted image

Errh... Soo... Hi people!

I'm not around a lot, and I don't know the forums very well, so I do hope I'm doing this stuff right, got the right thread and all that!

Aaanyway, decided to have a first go at spriting! I found an ancient drawing which I decided to try to pratice with. I named him Mr. Fluffs:

user posted image

(Let's hope postimg.org works for this...)

I know he's got some anatomy problems, head, horns and legs especially, so I was really just wondering if any of you guys had any critique about, well, anything else.

Shading, color choices (such creamy with such chocolate?), texturing (did I get that fluff right?), lines, anything.

Thanks. smile.gif

...Woah, he ended up more like a sheep than I ever realized. Sheepy.

Ooh, he's quite cute. biggrin.gif

At first glance I felt that the brown parts are too dark; they draw the eye away from the rest of the dragon, namely the wooly fuzz you're trying to accentuate. The limbs (including the wings) and the head need more shading work done as they look rather flat compared to the body. The lumpy wool itself is nice and well done, though the outline to it could probably be shaded as well (for instance, it could be lightened near the bum, where the lightsource is).

Ooh, he's quite cute. biggrin.gif

At first glance I felt that the brown parts are too dark; they draw the eye away from the rest of the dragon, namely the wooly fuzz you're trying to accentuate. The limbs (including the wings) and the head need more shading work done as they look rather flat compared to the body. The lumpy wool itself is nice and well done, though the outline to it could probably be shaded as well (for instance, it could be lightened near the bum, where the lightsource is).

Glad you think so! ^^

Thanks a lot! I see what you mean, so I tried to fix him up a bit. I'm not sure I managed to hit right on the mark with everything, especially not lightening the brown, but he sure looks prettier than before!

user posted image

(I'm new in this thread so I hope I do the thing as it's supposed to - meaning I hope I don't do something wrong)

Welp, I made a little Furret sprite a couple of days ago, but I haven't gotten into shading or highlighting yet. The lines are also black for now, but I'm planning to color them later. The thing I mostly need advice about is shading. Does anyone have tips how shadings should be done on sprites? Comments and critique in general would be appreciated too. :3c

user posted imageuser posted image

To be honest I just go for it when I shade and keep zooming out to check that it looks alright. (Then again, I'm not an expert spriter aha). Really, just pick a light source and go for it, and remember you can hue- and saturation-shift in addition to just making the color darker.

~~~~~~

Time for me to ask for some advice myself. I've laid some tentative shadows, but I'm kind of stuck on how to progress, other than refining my lines.

user posted image

user posted image

well i made something ....

well this is my first sprite well second. i didn't want a checkerboard shading and i don't know what kind of shading i did

i did pixel art from my character user posted image

user posted image

well i made something ....

well this is my first sprite well second. i didn't want a checkerboard shading and i don't know what kind of shading i did

i did pixel art from my character user posted image

If you don't want dithering aka checkerboard shading, use more in-between colors. You're also approaching a little bit of a pillow-shading on the head and body; you can also afford to darken the lines a little and increase contrast by making the shadows darker, but overall it's quite nice. (you could probably find some way to differentiate the feet from the tail feathers, because it look me a while to figure out which ones were the legs aha)

Edited by TehUltimateMage

Okay then ill try, but it was kinda nice to use checkerboard shading. Hmmmmm maybe waking the feet a bit bigger and change the shape a little then. And i should move the light a little on the head and body? Or not make it like i did?ummmm

okay i think i got it and i fixed it. Well i hope i fixed it

user posted image

man i feel like i wanna draw something bigger like a phoenix or a dragon and not 100x100 pixels

but i probably won't do it or if i do i will fail badly xd.png

Edited by Dragnilu

user posted image

my first try at spriting ever!! I started out with some lines, crits appreciated C:

First time, woo! It's one step into the wonderful world of spriting, so don't get discouraged by my critique. You'll only get better. c:

1. I'm sorry to say, but your dragon's got quite a few anatomical problems! I'd suggest finding some existing lineart (or ask someone if you can use their sketches) to practice lining/spriting. If you want an in-depth critique for your initial sketch, feel free to PM me.

2. On to the lines themselves: try to thin them out, i.e. keep them 1 pixel wide. I'll have to dig up that tutorial I remember seeing, but the gist is that you're trying to avoid any black blobs in your lines. A lot of lining (and spriting!) is learning the sense of how to make things look right at pixel scale -- which is why I stress the importance of a good sketch to work from.

Again, feel free to PM me if you have questions! I'm not the best spriter out there, but I'm sure I can help! biggrin.gif