Dis

The sprite practice thread.

No, you got the wings, they're folded. You just forgot the skin of the wings.

Oh jeeze, now that I look at my sketch again, I realise just how horrible the anatomy is.

Ohhhh, I see it now:D I missed the skin entirely >.<

*going back in to fiddle some more*

Also, be careful. you've got a lot of pillow shading there. What direction is your light source?

I know, like I said still playing, still figuring out what colors I want to use etc, : /

I finally figured out how to sprite scales. I now love this thread, lawl.

user posted image

Not very good, I know tongue.gif But I'm a happy person right now.

Awwww, pokemonzoo's looks so much better than mine ><;

This is my first attempt at shading as well. I think I didn't use strong enough contrasting colors for my shading... but any advice would be appreciated smile.gif

user posted image

I tried doing one of Faeryl's sketches. Here's the spriteline. Terrible right? And it was the first sketch.

user posted image

Now it just needs to be cleaned up. The problem you have, is double pixels, and way too many straight lines. Then things like the neck can be addressed

How do i clean it up? Like what problems are there? How do i fix them? Cause this is seriously the second dragon sprite ive ever tried.

Is it suppose to be an adult? cause it could be made a bit larger

Double pixel is where it looks like stairs, just remove the corner of each stair and it would help.

It's to bumpy... To many straight lines... Here's a link:look under clean lines. I also like this page The main thing is, take all of those really straight lines, and slim them down... I try to make it so the longest straight line I have, is 3 pixels. I can't always do that, but for the outline, that's what I try to do. Also, make sure you never have a right angle with your outline. This will make it look odd.

Trust me! I know your frustration! user posted image my first sprite! Bulky, hard on the eyes, and just plain bad. Now I'm no ware near perfect, but with a lot of practice, and lots of redo, I've gotten better. Not good, but better. Read those links, and use them. They should help.

Edited by Corteo

All of us, including Dovealove, looked like some of these sprite attempts in here but with practice we've all gotten tons better =) I myself am working on shading practice xd.png

Lol ok =) Take a look at the top curve you have going on your wing, see how it doesn't curve nicely but looks lumpy instead? What you want to do is to 'smooth' it out, removing the lumps =)

Here is a sprite I have done for the Element thread

user posted image

See how the curves appear smooth? That is what you want for the sprite you are practicing on

Its getting there =) Just keep making small edits, zooming out to see how it looks and zooming in to continue working till it looks right to your eyes. I've done that about... 245 times so far on a current sprite I am trying to shade and i'm not even half finished xd.png

Ok. This might take a while.

EDIT: Getting better?

post-15-1253976680.png

Edited by blazinrider112

pokemonzoo: It makes me a happy woman to see you working on my picture I donated here. xd.png I only see that you need more contrast, and you need shadows and highlights everywhere, like in real life. The paw pads and the stripes.

Erinalia: For first attempt, that looks good! smile.gif Just think about the above stuff.

I was going to play around, practicing shading, and when I caught sight of Dracchan's baby here it was just too cute for me not to try. So:

Dracchan's original/My shading (haven't touched the egg yet)

user posted imageuser posted image

Please to be kind enough to point out my my problems? biggrin.gif

Edited by Imbecamiel

Good, but remember consistent lightsources and contrasts! And hue changes.