HeatherMarie

Freezing Eggs

How about this?

You have to freeze the egg in its first 24 hours from being born.

(I.e. You can only freeze an egg that has more than 6 days left).

At this point, the egg starts to freeze, and does not develop cracks or holes, but still counts as "an egg" on your scroll until some random time, similar to hatching, where the freezing process finishes. In not sure about needing view and clicks.

But I do like the idea, that you would still need to wait the normal time for it to "hatch" or in this case "freeze", before it stops counting as "an egg" on your scroll.

Also, you can not abandon (or release) an egg until it has finished freezing.

That way, you do not get out of being scroll-locked any quicker by freezing the egg, than by hatching the egg normally.

Or, another idea:

This one only works on eggs in its first, none cracked stage, but doesn't care about how long since it has been been.

Once you freeze your egg, instead of it being immediately frozen, or even keeping its normally time to "hatch".

You get a randomly generated "new" time till "frozen". Say anywhere between 3 and 6 days. For that length of time, while "freezing", you can not abandon (or release) and it still counts as an "egg" on your scroll.

I think either of those solutions will stop the grab-an-freeze problem.

I like there being some length of time after you have chosen to freeze the egg, that it still counts towards your total egg count, and that you can not abandoned (or release).

My issue is, I don't like the idea of "freezing time" for the egg. Once you have chosen to freeze an egg it should be frozen, but there should still be a length of time where it counts for scroll-lock and can not be released or abandoned.

I don't understand why there should be any kind of time-limitations on freezing eggs. There aren't on freezing hatchlings, so why eggs?

There shouldn't be an unfreeze, that would be too easy to abuse, and maybe you can only freeze so many at a time (daily, weekly?), but those kind of time limitations being suggested don't really make much sense.

At this point, the egg starts to freeze, and does not develop cracks or holes, but still counts as "an egg" on your scroll until some random time, similar to hatching, where the freezing process finishes. In not sure about needing view and clicks.

I really like this idea. That way, a frozen egg will take the same time to hatch as a typical egg would, thus making it not instantaneous, which seems more fair, in my book.

How about this?

You have to freeze the egg in its first 24 hours from being born.

(I.e. You can only freeze an egg that has more than 6 days left).

But I do like the idea, that you would still need to wait the normal time for it to "hatch" or in this case "freeze", before it stops counting as "an egg" on your scroll.

Also, you can not abandon (or release) an egg until it has finished freezing.

That way, you do not get out of being scroll-locked any quicker by freezing the egg, than by hatching the egg normally.

I love this! It doesn't seem like v/uv/c should be needed for the freezing process, but I wouldn't object if it were a requirement. Either way, if freezing an egg takes as long as hatching one, it definitely nips the grab-and-freeze issue in the bud.

I'm still of the opinion that, once an egg has been frozen, it can be released to the wilderness. Whether the egg should stay frozen in the wilderness or not, I have no idea - maybe it hatches in the wilderness a week after release, and grows up a week after that. It would prevent these 'permanent eggs' from showing up on a dragon's info page without removing the entry from the database.

edit: Marie, the reason people are suggesting these types of time limitations is to avoid abuse of the feature, without restricting how many eggs we can freeze (per day, per week, whatever).

If people could freeze eggs instantaneously and free up scroll space in the process, folks would grab hoards of pink eggs from the AP (and the main cave, for that matter) and freeze them all up. (Now that I think of it, being able to freeze a CB egg immediately would negate the purpose of the five-hour wait to abandon, unless there was some kind of time limitation.)

It would seem that most people would rather be scroll-locked with an egg that they want to keep than be restricted to only freezing x number of eggs per day/week.

Edited by happydiamonds

Isn't something like piercing eggshells together in Hoarding or Search thread? Frozen hatchies/hatchies collecting eggshells and when there are enough, you have empty but pretty egg in your scroll.

I don't understand why there should be any kind of time-limitations on freezing eggs. There aren't on freezing hatchlings, so why eggs?

There shouldn't be an unfreeze, that would be too easy to abuse, and maybe you can only freeze so many at a time (daily, weekly?), but those kind of time limitations being suggested don't really make much sense.

In a fair, perfect society, there wouldn't be a need for it..but the problem is that people could abuse the egg freezing by using it as a means to clear the AP of 'unwanted' eggs. Don't get me wrong, I would love not to have to use a time limitation, but if we don't we will have to find another limitation of some sort, whether it's only being able to freeze x amount of eggs a week(this doesn't strike me as fair either, however: We don't set that sort of limit on hatchlings) or making it so that once an egg is frozen, you can't remove it from your scroll.

I'm leaning more and more towards the latter, here. That way, there's no time limitation on it, but I don't think people are going to be too keen on having all of those frozen eggs on their scrolls, just to clear the AP a little bit. I don't think people will find it worth it.

Isn't something like piercing eggshells together in Hoarding or Search thread? Frozen hatchies/hatchies collecting eggshells and when there are enough, you have empty but pretty egg in your scroll.

You know...that's a good idea, though I'd alter it some... We talked about the unfairness of piecing together eggs from dragons you've hatched because it's like a two for one deal and having your cake and eating it too seems to defeat the purpose of freezing an egg that's already gifted you with a hatchie, so to speak.

HOWEVER:

What if, instead of piecing together already hatched eggs that you get hatchlings from...you could get egg pieces from the cave? I mean, the cave says there's all these dragons everywhere, right? I know this might be a lot of coding work, but I think it would be super cool that we could also collect egg pieces as well as eggs. Each breed's egg is split into, say, five pieces. Once you 'collect' all five pieces from the cave(heck, you could even abandon them, if you wanted, or trade them!), you get one complete, albeit empty, egg.

That way, you're not getting a hatchie with it - just an egg. Also, that way, there'd be no feelings of 'guilt' from freezing what could've been a live hatchie.

Edited by LSama

what does it help with that you freeze eggs?

:3 It doesn't 'help' with anything. Some people just really like some of the egg sprites and would like to keep them as is.

You know...that's a good idea, though I'd alter it some... We talked about the unfairness of piecing together eggs from dragons you've hatched because it's like a two for one deal and having your cake and eating it too seems to defeat the purpose of freezing an egg that's already gifted you with a hatchie, so to speak.

HOWEVER:

What if, instead of piecing together already hatched eggs that you get hatchlings from...you could get egg pieces from the cave? I mean, the cave says there's all these dragons everywhere, right? I know this might be a lot of coding work, but I think it would be super cool that we could also collect egg pieces as well as eggs. Each breed's egg is split into, say, five pieces. Once you 'collect' all five pieces from the cave(heck, you could even abandon them, if you wanted, or trade them!), you get one complete, albeit empty, egg.

That way, you're not getting a hatchie with it - just an egg. Also, that way, there'd be no feelings of 'guilt' from freezing what could've been a live hatchie.

I love that idea but in a way i dont. Seeing as people could easily just grab up a bunch or rare type egg peices and kinda horde them that way.

I love that idea but in a way i dont. Seeing as people could easily just grab up a bunch or rare type egg peices and kinda horde them that way.

Well that's really no different from my earlier comments about hoarding rare eggs. If I'm quick enough to grab something, does that make me a hoarder, if it's a breed I particularly like? No, it just means I like that kind of egg and if I'm fast enough to grab it, then it's mine. If something is dropped on the AP, it's abandoned, period, and that makes it free for all.

It doesn't make much sense for someone to 'hoard' rare pieces though because it's not like you can get an egg from it, you know? It each egg is split into 5 pieces, having 234235 of one particular piece isn't going to get you anything anyway, right?

Well that's really no different from my earlier comments about hoarding rare eggs. If I'm quick enough to grab something, does that make me a hoarder, if it's a breed I particularly like? No, it just means I like that kind of egg and if I'm fast enough to grab it, then it's mine. If something is dropped on the AP, it's abandoned, period, and that makes it free for all.

It doesn't make much sense for someone to 'hoard' rare pieces though because it's not like you can get an egg from it, you know? It each egg is split into 5 pieces, having 234235 of one particular piece isn't going to get you anything anyway, right?

I suppose but what people *could* do is grab liek 15 diif rares egg peices and just keep building them. If somehting like this were to happen id think there would be a kinda limit somehow.

I suppose but what people *could* do is grab liek 15 diif rares egg peices and just keep building them. If somehting like this were to happen id think there would be a kinda limit somehow.

People could also technically grab 15 different rare eggs. What's the difference? I've seen people on here with chicken armies - and chicken eggs are definitely considered rare. Would you call that hoarding?

My point is: Whether eggs or egg pieces, if I've got the fast enough reflexes to grab something I want, I'm going to grab it. If that makes me a hoarder, so be it. Everyone has the opportunity to grab stuff, be it off the AP or off the Cave itself. It doesn't matter if it's eggs or egg pieces - the only different here really is that the egg pieces cannot be hatched into hatchlings, and there's not going to be anything bred from the end result.

People could also technically grab 15 different rare eggs. What's the difference? I've seen people on here with chicken armies - and chicken eggs are definitely considered rare. Would you call that hoarding?

My point is: Whether eggs or egg pieces, if I've got the fast enough reflexes to grab something I want, I'm going to grab it. If that makes me a hoarder, so be it. Everyone has the opportunity to grab stuff, be it off the AP or off the Cave itself. It doesn't matter if it's eggs or egg pieces - the only different here really is that the egg pieces cannot be hatched into hatchlings, and there's not going to be anything bred from the end result.

Theres a diff tho. Because these are shells they wouldn't count so people could just grab and grab and grab. When catching rares eggs or hatchlings there is always going to be a limit so why not on eggs. How is it fair to have someone grab say 15 golds peices and still being able to grab more

I would imagine the ratios for the dragon species would work in finding things like this too. How are you two thinking about this, like finding the pieces in egg drops or using the Search feature?

Either way, rare dragons would have rare shards and common dragons would have common shards and since rare are rare and there are less of them there would be less pieces to be found, yes?

Well, I voted yes, but after reading some of the posts, I decided I am okay with this idea and not okay. Frozen egg armies would be fun, but this feature would probably be abused. Perhaps if an egg is frozen it then does not count towards the ratios for the dragons? I don't know...

Yes, but ONLY if the eggs are ones you have bred, and they can't be released into the wild afterwards. This way people won't be grabbing commons off the cave or AP, freezing the eggs, and dumping them to make room for rares and such.

One thing most don't think about, this could help with the AP wall.

also, you could then have complete dragon sets, like some green adults, some green hatchies, and some green eggs.

You can help the AP wall by grabbing a bunch of commons, hatching them, and abandoning them (or freezing and releasing, but I prefer abandoning). Hatchlings go extremely fast. Grabbing mass amounts of eggs, freezing, and abandoning gives people a way to get around the ratio rule without any effort.

Theres a diff tho. Because these are shells they wouldn't count so people could just grab and grab and grab. When catching rares eggs or hatchlings there is always going to be a limit so why not on eggs. How is it fair to have someone grab say 15 golds peices and still being able to grab more

Okay, I see what you're saying, here. Well, in that case, I think you should have a limit on how many egg pieces you can have at one time. I mean, it would have to be a certain amount(depending on how many pieces it would take to make an egg).

Let's say 5 pieces - again, just as an example. Each piece will only fit to two other pieces(one on each side, so to speak). Once you get two pieces that 'fit' together, maybe there could be like a 'fuse' option, so that you put those two pieces together. Once together, they can't be taken back apart. Maybe that way, you could put a limit on how many 'fused' parts you could have of any one egg. That way, the 'fair' players wouldn't be stuck with pieces they couldn't use, but the unfair people wouldn't be able to just put together a dozen eggs, all at once.

... :o9 Did that make sense?

Edited by LSama

Yes, but ONLY if the eggs are ones you have bred, and they can't be released into the wild afterwards. This way people won't be grabbing commons off the cave or AP, freezing the eggs, and dumping them to make room for rares and such.

I'm sort of 'eh' on the whole 'only eggs you breed' because some dragons are unbreedable. What if I want to freeze a paper egg? I can't do that by breeding - same with all the dinos as well.

If you're going to freeze an egg, they shouldn't be releasable, no, as that would hopefully curb the whole clearing the AP issue, yes.

:x Though I'll admit that the more I talk about it, the more I like the whole finding egg pieces thing..

What if I want to freeze a paper egg? I can't do that by breeding - same with all the dinos as well.

A flaw in my plan! Ah well. xd.png I still say that they should be unreleasable once frozen.

I don't particularly like the egg pieces thing, since if I did freeze an egg I would be freezing ones I breed to complete a lineage set.

A flaw in my plan! Ah well. xd.png I still say that they should be unreleasable once frozen.

I don't particularly like the egg pieces thing, since if I did freeze an egg I would be freezing ones I breed to complete a lineage set.

And that's fair enough - I can see why you'd want to freeze an egg from your own lineage, for posterity. I agree, though - once frozen, they're frozen, the end.

i've heard the arguments but really....what is wrong with have your cake and eating it to when it seems to be a reasonable solution?

it solves the problems about people hoarding the hatchlings, "killing" eggs, not earning them

as for how many, i believe each scroll should be allowed one per variation ((purple dorsal and red dorsal are separate)) some will complain against having only one, but i feel it would be far less people than those complaining that someone has a lot

you still have to earn it by hatching it, yes i understand that hatching a dragon is not hard once you get used to the site, but it's better than picking up an egg and freezing it

someone said that the frozen egg counts as a egg for a day or so?, if you have to hatch it, it is a longer time it take up a slot, so i believe this solves the problem of a cool down time

if someone doesn't want an egg anymore i'd say either let it be released to the wilderness, or have an action called smash xd.png (*clicks Smash* "You smash the left over shell to dust and it blows away")

this is just my opinion

((side topic i burned two fingers on my left hand and it's very interesting trying to type laugh.gif ))

Edited by darkshadow5392

I like the idea of freezing eggs, but i think there should be limit. I mean it would be great if you could freeze only 1 egg of each breed. I mean seriously, do you need many frozen eggs of same breed? If people want to freeze an egg because it's have a beautiful sprite, 1 egg would be enough.

And I like the idea that frozen egg would be CB or one of you have bred your own. Because some newbies could easily just froze some lineage eggs like dorkfaces, tempest etc.