HeatherMarie

Freezing Eggs

I would like to freeze eggs for collection purposes.. 1 per type only. Making it so that you can only use your own bred eggs is best, so that no one gets irked about freezing 'their' babies. But if I'm freezing my own bred egg, I see no reason for any penalty.

My question is, how will egg freezing affect the production ratios? Supposedly, the cave produces eggs based on a formula that is partially based on what eggs get bred. Like when a lot of golds get bred, fewer golds appear in the cave. I have no clue what the formula is or how it works, but how would it be affected by freezing eggs?

I think once the eggs are made, they are "forgotten" about.

With dead eggs deliberately killed there is a 5 per scroll limit, with the dead egg counting toward that limit for 2 weeks. A deliberately killed cave egg counts as an egg on your scroll for 24 hours. What if the freezing limit were exactly the same?

I would also find it useful to set the freeze ability to the same restrictions as abandoning - 5 hour wait on CB eggs (to prevent people from cycling the egg drops) and immediately available for AP eggs. (Some may not agree with this, but I see egg freezing as a way to help out with the AP issue.)

I think a max number of eggs you can freeze per day or week would be better than counting towards your limit for 24 hours though, but this comes from my thought that it could help with the AP blockage. If they didn't count towards your limit for the day, but you couldn't freeze more than say, 2 or 4 a day, that would keep people from freezing en masse.

However...I did ask TJ about egg freezing the other day and the two concerns he expressed about it were people taking eggs and freezing them en masse, and how it creates a rather convenient way to avoid death.

(I see there's already ideas trying to help fix the first concern, so maybe this will help give you guys an idea of how to avoid the second, even though freezing hatchlings is a convenient way to avoid their death, as well. wink.gif)

My question is, how will egg freezing affect the production ratios? Supposedly, the cave produces eggs based on a formula that is partially based on what eggs get bred. Like when a lot of golds get bred, fewer golds appear in the cave. I have no clue what the formula is or how it works, but how would it be affected by freezing eggs?

I don't know if this is correct or not, but I was under the impression the ratio worked according to the number of dragons - adults, hatchlings and eggs - were in the cave, excluding dead ones, not just eggs. If that's the case, I don't think egg freezing would affect it at all. If it's based solely on egg freezing, I imagine TJ would change how the ratio works to make sure egg freezing wouldn't mess it up, if this is ever implemented.

Its already been said, but the main prob with this is people freezing to unblock the AP. Many would like there to be no limit to egg smashing to unclear the AP, I feel they'd use freezing as an alternative method.

There should be a limit, perhaps just 2 frozen eggs of each dragon per scroll. But my main crib is what purpose does the egg serve after you get it? It has no name, no identity. Leetle Trees are eggs that never grow, but... They served a purpose be it only a useless holiday gag one. The other problem is, you freeze the egg, but then what happens if you no longer want it? Release it to the wilderness? Yes a useless never hatching egg laying around... Serves no bloodline purposes, little RPG purposes, at the end of the day its just an egg!

At least frozen hatchlings can be named... sad.gif

Maybe freezing eggs can be an alternate to killing them?

That way it still counts to your limit and all for that day, and you can only freeze a few eggs per couple of weeks?

Edit: I do see this was already suggested, I just wanted to post it while I thought of it.

I'm all for egg freezing, some of these are lovely... the Daydream eggs are just beautiful xd.png

Edited by Dr. Paine

Geobreeder, I thought I outlined the "purpose" pretty well in my first post. The eggs are pretty. Some eggs are very beautiful, and some people (including me) would like to be able to have those beautiful eggs on their scroll, without them changing (hatching) in 7 days.

Saying that they serve no bloodline/other purpose is completely immaterial, because there are *many* dragons out there who don't. Ones that are never bred, or are unbreedable. Plus frozen hatchlings. I can tell that you don't see frozen eggs as serving any purpose, just like others don't see any purpose to frozen hatchlings or wilderness dragons. But that doesn't mean there isn't a purpose at all, just not one that you care about.

I completely support this. Except, there's really no point in have more than 1 frozen egg per breed. So perhaps the limit could be 1 egg per breed, except with breeds that have more than 1 type of egg like the seasonals, stripes, and dorsals.

I completely support this. Except, there's really no point in have more than 1 frozen egg per breed. So perhaps the limit could be 1 egg per breed, except with breeds that have more than 1 type of egg like the seasonals, stripes, and dorsals.

I'm not good with programing...is there a way to say "Limit of breeding one of each egg sprite"

if this gets put into place i would definitely (with an I, not an A) want all color variations of the egg

what purpose does this serve? why simply to have a complete collection of all the sprites people worked so hard on. i made the autumn egg and i would love to be able to see it throughout the year xd.png

Geobreeder, I thought I outlined the "purpose" pretty well in my first post. The eggs are pretty. Some eggs are very beautiful, and some people (including me) would like to be able to have those beautiful eggs on their scroll, without them changing (hatching) in 7 days.

Saying that they serve no bloodline/other purpose is completely immaterial, because there are *many* dragons out there who don't. Ones that are never bred, or are unbreedable. Plus frozen hatchlings. I can tell that you don't see frozen eggs as serving any purpose, just like others don't see any purpose to frozen hatchlings or wilderness dragons. But that doesn't mean there isn't a purpose at all, just not one that you care about.

Yes I DID read it, but thats your purpose... But would it be the same for everyone? And yes, frozen hatchlings serve a purpose greater then others may think. If the owner is unable to look after the hatchling correctly, they can choose to freeze the hatchling. At the end of the day its alive. The egg? If its a noob it doesn't teach them to look after their eggs, turning them into adults. At least they can use a frozen hatchling for reference on how they got halfway to adult stage. huh.gif

Regardless, I'm not against the idea completely, but I am VERY wary of it. Without restrictions you could end up wth scroll armies of unborn eggs, that would create a lot more annoyance for many nd ay led to complaints. I'm on the bandwagon of "within reason" to make things clear. I don't want to see this used as a method of egg smashing without a price to pay. If its frozen they could freeze the egg and then release it into the wilderness just to get rid of it off their scroll.

@crazyloser13 - Fin and Striped dragons. Theres a reason for more then 1 with them. huh.gif

Edited by Geobreeder

Which is why I said "within limits" to begin with. *I* don't even support a free-for-all when it comes to this idea, that could indeed get out of hand and would do far more harm then good. I think the best would be a one-frozen-per-egg-sprite rule. (not per breed, since some breeds have different eggs).

I think that you should be able to freeze eggs, but I think that it should be just one egg of each kind. That way, you can have the egg of your Adults, along side of your hatchlings that you freeze.

I agree, I really want to keep some of the dragon eggs, I think the Ballon egg is particularly awesome, as well as Frilled and Skywing.

In the case of breeds with two sprites, one for each gender, freezing more than one egg might be appropriate. So people can have an egg with the frozen male and female hatchlings

This idea rocks! Although TJ's gonna have to increase Yulebuck/Valentine's Day dragon limits... and this'll make dragcave more fun.

I completely support this.  Except, there's really no point in have more than 1 frozen egg per breed. So perhaps the limit could be 1 egg per breed, except with breeds that have more than 1 type of egg like the seasonals, stripes, and dorsals.

The same, however, could be said for frozen hatchlings, or even adults for that matter. (Yes, I am aware there are arguments for having more than one adult of breeds that have a single sprite.)

It doesn't necessarily matter if there's a point to having more than one of the eggs. There are going to be some people that want an "army" of a certain type of egg, for whatever reason - just as there are people that want an army of Mints, or Golds, or whatever. Also, if egg freezing is implemented, and a limit to the maximum number of them is added, that could lead to people saying there is an anti-hoarding rule in place, and attempt to use this as an argument to put a similar limit on frozen hatchlings and adults. Not that it would be successful, but it's still possible. If there absolutely has to be a maximum number on the how many frozen eggs of a specific breed someone has, I'd say it needs to be higher than just one - something between 10-20 would be more appropriate, I'd think. It'd allow for people to get multiples if that's what they want, and also allow people to have one of each if the breed happens to have multiple egg sprites.

I think putting a time limit until you can freeze (similar to the time limit before you can abandon) as well as a maximum number of eggs you can freeze for a certain period (say 5 a week, maybe, just to throw out an example), would be better than putting an absolute cap on the number you can have, period, though. Also, people are presumably freezing eggs because they want them - so I see no reason for there to be a release option on them. Leaving the Kill function would make more sense (and the rule could be adjusted to say any frozen egg manually Killed counts towards someone's egg limit for 24 hours would prevent people from freezing then killing immediately).

I don't really understand the argument that seeing an army of frozen eggs would make someone mad. If that's the case, that person would probably get upset over seeing an army of frozen hatchlings or adults, too, and that's not a deterrent to people having armies of those.

Also, since freezing is a way to avoid death, what if eggs with under a day left were not able to be frozen? The only options at that point would be to Abandon or Kill. I believe the original intention was that only uncracked eggs could be frozen, I imagine it would also be possible (coding-wise) to say that only eggs under a certain age are able to be frozen as well, thus preventing most cases of "omg it's dying~ I'll freeze it!"

Well I've had the idea for some time to allow "duds", rather than frozen. Not every successful egg-laying produces a baby.....some eggs are just plain old eggs with no life within them

Perhaps putting in a ratio of how many eggs turn up as duds would help out...there would be an even higher demand for eggs that would clear out the AP and people will be able to keep permanent eggs on their scrolls that won't count towards their limit after "trying" to hatch for 4 days. There could also be a button to dispose of said duds if they find they have more than what they want.

I actually like this idea. Well, really, I don't like the idea of freezing eggs AT ALL. I'm also a little against freezing hatchies too, but some of them just look so cute, I couldn't help but freeze ONE of that kind. But I don't like the thought of freezing eggs, either my own or someone else's. Nor do I like the thought of someone else freezing one of my own babies that went to the AP.

If it MUST be implemented then I would prefer this "dud" method, because that's more comparable to real life. Think about it. The chicken eggs you get from the store won't hatch if you incubate them.

I actually like this idea. Well, really, I don't like the idea of freezing eggs AT ALL. I'm also a little against freezing hatchies too, but some of them just look so cute, I couldn't help but freeze ONE of that kind. But I don't like the thought of freezing eggs, either my own or someone else's. Nor do I like the thought of someone else freezing one of my own babies that went to the AP.

If it MUST be implemented then I would prefer this "dud" method, because that's more comparable to real life. Think about it. The chicken eggs you get from the store won't hatch if you incubate them.

then again, would YOU be happy if your first ever gold egg was a dud?

If I am remembering correctly, before the Ascended dragons thread had been wiped the first time, when they had been talking about the possible powers that a dragon might have, they had also talked about freezing eggs..... & in that thread they had mentioned the possibility of eggs only being able to be frozen while they were uncracked. Once they had a crack, you wouldn't be able to freeze them anymore. The only reason I even remember that now is because one of the dragon abilities that had been discussed had been something about removing cracks from an egg so that it could be frozen...

I beleive TJ mentioned freezing eggs several months back. The reason he hasn't implanted it yet is because he is still testing it. I think he's trying to work out the coding so that frozen eggs do not count to the limit.

Just wanted to point out.... We already have one frozen "egg" :3 Leetle Trees are listed as eggs, but are frozen. And they don't count towards the limit.

I like the idea of there being a limit to the number of eggs you can freeze per week or something.

I remember the "only able to be frozen if it has no cracks" thing. That makes sense, IMO. I mean, why are you freezing it for the artwork, if it's all "ruined" by cracks/a hole?

I think iarsma's ideas would work better then my OP-ideas would. With my idea of a frozen-egg limit, I was trying to appease the people I knew would be against it, but I wasn't thinking about the fact that hoarding is not possible here, and that limit may be taken as a "no hoarding" rule.

Limiting the number of eggs you could freeze per week would be better, I'm sure.

I really don't like the idea of "dud" eggs. Freezing an egg would be a choice, and if someone doesn't want frozen eggs, they don't have to freeze them. If I'm correctly understanding what's been said, "duds" would not be a choice. That doesn't seem fair at all. Finally catching your first such-and-such, after so long, only to find out it's a dud? No way.

Perhaps the cracks would actually be desirable. I'm one of the people who, if freezing was ever released, would take the time to collect a set of cracking eggs (uncracked, first cracks appearing, second stage of cracking, third, fourth, giant hole in the middle)

Especially for the eggs on the progress list that utilize a custom cracking scheme.

I like the egg-freezing idea, but not the dud egg idea. I would love to

have some frozen eggs on my scroll because they're so pretty. o wo

I also think that a limit should be put on the number of eggs you can

freeze per week, like killing. And I also think the frozen eggs should

count towards your egg count for one day, the way a dead one does.

I am one that would like to collect eggs and I don't mind working for it.

I would comply with any restrictions put on. So only able to freeze an egg I bred (except dinos and papers) and that it counts as an egg for 4 days, so as I can't replace it on my scroll until after that.

I would also be after cracked eggs, and eggs with holes and if ever we get eyes peeping out of the holes.

Yes I am hooked!!! I admit it.

hmm i see why it would be intresting to collect the eggs... but what if when a hatchling hatches you could use a action to keep the egg as long as the hatchling was only out of the egg for 1 day or maby 2... that way those that like the egg and want the dragon wouldnt have to have a loss to a dragon becuse of an egg.

that way things in the AP and CA wouldnt be changed at all...

i have a thing aginst freazing and somtimes i feel i want to freeze them but i just never am able to bring my self to do it becuse it makes me feel like im keeping a little dragon from breeding, as i am a breeder and normaly only breed dragons that have matching names or breeds or are named after a cuople in a rp done by me and my friend. or somtimes i wont breed a dragon becuse of its name. like my female winter's name is soneek, my friend hedgy (not a forum memmber but has her scroll under that name) gave me premission to name it that as her fanfic is *sonic fanfic related* a hedgehog with power of ice and fast footed, blue eyed female. in return i dont breed soneek and never will as soneek the chara has extreamly low romance apeal. the only breeding pairs i use are my male winters and my springs.

other dragons i only breed at a sertain time of the day.

so i dont realy like the idea of freazeing as of now... but keeping the eggs would be intresting if you could keep the dragon from it.

LOL blackwlof I think that is called eating your cake and wanting it to.

No it is something you have to want and you have to work for.

I do like freezing. They get to be young and live forever.

Edited by Suzie Q