HeatherMarie

Freezing Eggs

i've heard the arguments but really....what is wrong with have your cake and eating it to when it seems to be a reasonable solution?

it solves the problems about people hoarding the hatchlings, "killing" eggs, not earning them

as for how many, i believe each scroll should be allowed one per variation ((purple dorsal and red dorsal are separate)) some will complain against having only one, but i feel it would be far less people than those complaining that someone has a lot

you still have to earn it by hatching it, yes i understand that hatching a dragon is not hard once you get used to the site, but it's better than picking up an egg and freezing it

someone said that the frozen egg counts as a egg for a day or so?, if you have to hatch it, it is a longer time it take up a slot, so i believe this solves the problem of a cool down time

if someone doesn't want an egg anymore i'd say either let it be released to the wilderness, or have an action called smash XD (*clicks Smash* "You smash the left over shell to dust and it blows away")

this is just my opinion

((side topic i burned two fingers on my left hand and it's very interesting trying to type :lol: ))

I think the having your cake and eating too unfairness comes from this:

When we freeze hatchies, those hatchies cannot grow up and breed. There is the risk involved in that - a frozen hatchling could've gone towards a breeding project.

How fair is it then that eggs can be hatched and the egg repieced back together, while you've got a perfectly healthy hatchling? The freezing act says(paraphrased), "You put a spell on that prevents aging."

It seems unfair that you should get both egg and hatchling out of this.

I don't see why you'd need more than one of each variety. They all look the same and eggs don't have genders.

I'm against CB freezing, though. That makes it too easy to just pick up eggs and freeze them to clear the way for rares, even if you can't abandon them. Self-bred only.

And no, no, no to getting both a frozen egg and a hatchling out of one egg. That makes it too easy.

I like the idea of freezing eggs, but i think there should be limit. I mean it would be great if you could freeze only 1 egg of each breed. I mean seriously, do you need many frozen eggs of same breed? If people want to freeze an egg because it's have a beautiful sprite, 1 egg would be enough.

Okay, let's try this again:

If you can have as many frozen hatchlings as you want, why can you only have 1 frozen egg? Some people have chicken armies, or black hatchling frozen armies. This is not limited. If you're going to allow freezing eggs, it doesn't seem fair to limit that, either. We're human beings. There is no such thing as 1 thing being enough.

And I like the idea that frozen egg would be CB or one of you have bred your own. Because some newbies could easily just froze some lineage eggs like dorkfaces, tempest etc.

Again, with feeling: Some newbie can just as easily freeze or release into the wild a lineage hatchling, as well. Once you put something on the AP, it is out of your hands. You have relinquished ownership of that lineage hatchling and I'm sorry, but unless it's a botched trade, I don't see where people have any right to get all up in arms with what someone else does with the egg/hatchling that said people WILLINGLY ABANDONED.

I don't see why you'd need more than one of each variety. They all look the same and eggs don't have genders.

I'm against CB freezing, though. That makes it too easy to just pick up eggs and freeze them to clear the way for rares, even if you can't abandon them. Self-bred only.

3. I have several frozen hatchies without genders. I have them because I like the sprites. Also: Self-bred only, again, means no dino eggs, no paper eggs, etcetc. Not fair.

CB breedables, then.

But that doesn't make things any more fair. If I can freeze a paper hatchie, why can't I freeze a paper egg?

But that doesn't make things any more fair. If I can freeze a paper hatchie, why can't I freeze a paper egg?

If only CB breedables were unfreezable, but unbreedables were freezable, then you could.

I just see so much potential for abuse if CB breedables could be frozen.

If only CB breedables were unfreezable, but unbreedables were freezable, then you could.

I just see so much potential for abuse if CB breedables could be frozen.

Okay, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, here. Let me lay out what I'm saying for you so maybe we can clear this up. :)

I think that all dragons types should be freezable, the same as all hatchies are freezable, no matter WHERE they come from, be it the Cave, the AP, or your own bred eggs. They SHOULD NOT be UNFREEZABLE, as this makes for a plethora of possible abuse issues, yes.

I also think that once frozen, they should NOT be releasable - no releasing them into the wild. I would hope that that fact would prevent abuse of freezing: If they were releaseable, then people would be able to snatch them up off the AP to clear it, then dump them later. If they were not releasable, I think people would think twice about cluttering up their scroll just to free up the AP a bit.

Having said THAT: I think that it's also unfair that you could freeze something and thus free up a slot on your scroll to then pick up more egg/hatchies/whathaveyou. I think that frozen eggs should count for at least some slot of time, in order for it to be fair to everyone else. Maybe not the full possible 2 weeks it takes to hatch an egg/grow it to adulthood, but at least SOME amount of time. I think 3-4 days, or at least 1 week would be fair.

(p.s. from this thread on, 'unfreezable' is now SO a word.)

Edited by LSama

What if we combine the idea of egg shards with the Hoarding idea... say that it's common for dragons to bring back bits of eggs and when you have, say, three egg pieces of the same kind you can construct a new egg. That way there is some effort and some chance involved

Barring that, though, I don't see how piecing an egg is getting something for nothing... I mean, we already snatched the egg, and as things stand now the eggs just go away. Piecing could have a chance of failure, too. (egg is too shattered) ect.

Or, as I've stated before, we can just treat a frozen egg like a hatchling until it has 'matured.'

I don't think CB or bred eggs should be excluded from this... we kind of need a new poll with more options, I think, to see where people stand on this.

Edited to add: LSama, do you mean release or abandon, because if an egg or frozen hatchling is released then no one can pick it up, ever.

Edited by undertow

What if we combine the idea of egg shards with the Hoarding idea... say that it's common for dragons to bring back bits of eggs and when you have, say, three egg pieces of the same kind you can construct a new egg. That way there is some effort and some chance involved

Barring that, though, I don't see how piecing an egg is getting something for nothing... I mean, we already snatched the egg, and as things stand now the eggs just go away. Piecing could have a chance of failure, too. (egg is too shattered) ect.

Or, as I've stated before, we can just treat a frozen egg like a hatchling until it has 'matured.'

I don't think CB or bred eggs should be excluded from this... we kind of need a new poll with more options, I think, to see where people stand on this.

Edited to add: LSama, do you mean release or abandon, because if an egg or frozen hatchling is released then no one can pick it up, ever.

I mean released. As it stands now, frozen hatchlings cannot be abandoned, but can be released. Frozen eggs should not be releasable in my opinion, however, because that would mean for serious abuse of clearing the AP.

The 'egg freezing' approach has it's pros and cons.

The 'egg building' approach also has it's pros and cons.

The problem is that we can't do both! Someone mentioned that they'd like to be able to freeze because it means that they'd be able to freeze a lineage egg, for posterity, and I can understand why someone would want to do that.

But the egg building idea sounds as if it could properly cut down on 'abuse', though it's not without flaws.

Edited by LSama

I mean released. As it stands now, frozen hatchlings cannot be abandoned, but can be released. Frozen eggs should not be releasable in my opinion, however, because that would mean for serious abuse of clearing the AP.

The 'egg freezing' approach has it's pros and cons.

The 'egg building' approach also has it's pros and cons.

The problem is that we can't do both! Someone mentioned that they'd like to be able to freeze because it means that they'd be able to freeze a lineage egg, for posterity, and I can understand why someone would want to do that.

But the egg building idea sounds as if it could properly cut down on 'abuse', though it's not without flaws.

Ah, sorry, I misread that part. I am a tired beastie today... I think that if it takes several days for an egg to finish freezing, or you have to wait for it to hatch before piecing it, that that would prevent people from picking up and dumping to clear the AP. It would just work as it does now, with people being able to release frozen hatchlings.

I like the idea of freezing eggs, but i think there should be limit. I mean it would be great if you could freeze only 1 egg of each breed. I mean seriously, do you need many frozen eggs of same breed? If people want to freeze an egg because it's have a beautiful sprite, 1 egg would be enough.

Okay, let's try this again:

If you can have as many frozen hatchlings as you want, why can you only have 1 frozen egg? Some people have chicken armies, or black hatchling frozen armies. This is not limited. If you're going to allow freezing eggs, it doesn't seem fair to limit that, either. We're human beings. There is no such thing as 1 thing being enough.

And I like the idea that frozen egg would be CB or one of you have bred your own. Because some newbies could easily just froze some lineage eggs like dorkfaces, tempest etc.

Again, with feeling: Some newbie can just as easily freeze or release into the wild a lineage hatchling, as well. Once you put something on the AP, it is out of your hands. You have relinquished ownership of that lineage hatchling and I'm sorry, but unless it's a botched trade, I don't see where people have any right to get all up in arms with what someone else does with the egg/hatchling that said people WILLINGLY ABANDONED.

1. I know people have frozen hatchling armies, I have also a lot of frozen hatchling. But the thing is: We already can freeze hatchling what if we could freeze number of eggs? All the ratios would change! Think, we could easily take every single egg from Ap and freeze it and then we think why we get so little rares? I mean seriously, itäs already hard to get rare egg from cave, think how hard it would be if ratios would change.

I mean if AP would be empty, everybody would go to main page! How hard it would be that thousands of people watchling main page, when everybody knows that there is no eggs in AP. I remember when valentine's came and everybody were on the main page, how slow DC was.

2. Freezing and releasing a hatchling takes time. But freezing an eggs doesn't need any time. You have to wait at least 3.5 day before eggs becomes a hatchling. But egg... you can freeze it immediately!

2. Freezing and releasing a hatchling takes time. But freezing an eggs doesn't need any time. You have to wait at least 3.5 day before eggs becomes a hatchling. But egg... you can freeze it immediately!

There are a ton of suggestions in this thread now that involve freezing taking as much time as hatching and freezing. I don't think many people are arguing for instant grab-and-freeze anymore.

As for cave ratios, if the piecing idea is used, there won't be much, if any, change other than the fact that, for a while, a lot of eggs will be picked up and hatched.

Edited by undertow

Ollie:

1. I know people have frozen hatchling armies, I have also a lot of frozen hatchling. But the thing is: We already can freeze hatchling what if we could freeze number of eggs? All the ratios would change! Think, we could easily take every single egg from Ap and freeze it and then we think why we get so little rares? I mean seriously, itäs already hard to get rare egg from cave, think how hard it would be if ratios would change.

I mean if AP would be empty, everybody would go to main page! How hard it would be that thousands of people watchling main page, when everybody knows that there is no eggs in AP. I remember when valentine's came and everybody were on the main page, how slow DC was.

I see what you're saying, but if you make a limit on how many frozen eggs you have, it's not fair. There's no limit on frozen hatchlings, no matter where the hatchling, or it's egg, came from. Some people are going to want their egg armies as much as they want their black alt hatchling armies. I definitely see what you mean, however, with the whole AP being empty part, but being equally fair, the same thing happens EVERY time a new dragon breed is released, so I'm not sure how that would pan out. It's kind of up in the air how people would handle the whole freezing aspect.

Yea, as undertow said, no one here really likes the whole instant grab-freeze idea for that very reason. As I said here:

I think that it's also unfair that you could freeze something and thus free up a slot on your scroll to then pick up more egg/hatchies/whathaveyou. I think that frozen eggs should count for at least some slot of time, in order for it to be fair to everyone else. Maybe not the full possible 2 weeks it takes to hatch an egg/grow it to adulthood, but at least SOME amount of time. I think 3-4 days, or at least 1 week would be fair.

Undertow:

Ah, sorry, I misread that part. I am a tired beastie today... I think that if it takes several days for an egg to finish freezing, or you have to wait for it to hatch before piecing it, that that would prevent people from picking up and dumping to clear the AP. It would just work as it does now, with people being able to release frozen hatchlings.

I think that while giving it a few days would prevent people, I'm still worried about the possible abuse of it.

Edited by LSama

I think that while giving it a few days would prevent people, I'm still worried about the possible abuse of it.

Do you consider releasing frozen hatchlings abuse?

I'm against self-bred only, not only because of the unbreedables, but also, because I never keep the eggs I breed. Never.

I either abandon them or I trade them away and I don't want to have to keep my bred eggs just to be able to freeze them.

Do you consider releasing frozen hatchlings abuse?

Nope! Because the AP doesn't often get filled with unwanted hatchlings, compared to, say, a wall of pink and mint eggs. If you want to grab a hatchling, freeze it, and then release it, we could at least point out that someone, somewhere along the line, gave it the attention of getting it to the hatchling stage. There's a lot less work involved in a frozen egg, imo, however. You can freeze an egg that has no views, no clicks, no nothing, and then to be able to release it after 'x' amount of time? I consider that far too easy and yes, grounds for very possible abuse of the feature.

Everyone is going to be against some part of this. People who don't like to keep the eggs they breed won't want freezing to be self-bred-only. People who worry about abusing the feature won't want CB-only. Breeders won't want AP-grabbed eggs to be freezable.

If we have time limits and such, only able to freeze a certain number in a certain amount of time, etc, there shouldn't really be any worry about "abusing" it if it's CB-only. Me, I wouldn't mind self-bred either.

I definitely would not like a limit of only one frozen egg per breed, though. Some of those eggs are REALLY pretty, and I'd like more then one on my scroll. And what about all the "breeds" (stripes come to mind) that have more then one egg design?

I love that idea but in a way i dont. Seeing as people could easily just grab up a bunch or rare type egg peices and kinda horde them that way.

Hoarding doesn't exist on DC no matter what people might say. If people want to make an army of rare eggs, who is anyone to stop them?

We play the game as we see fit.

Hoarding doesn't exist on DC no matter what people might say. If people want to make an army of rare eggs, who is anyone to stop them?

We play the game as we see fit.

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I don't mean to sound like a sarcastic knucklehead here, but I agree. There is no 'hoarding'. People like what they like and they will collect as many as they want, no matter the means(some of them even do this illegally, but multiple scrolls is a different thread. :D)

There are no rules against having as many of one type of dragon as you want. If your fingers can click on it, it's yours.

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I don't mean to sound like a sarcastic knucklehead here, but I agree. There is no 'hoarding'. People like what they like and they will collect as many as they want, no matter the means(some of them even do this illegally, but multiple scrolls is a different thread. biggrin.gif)

There are no rules against having as many of one type of dragon as you want. If your fingers can click on it, it's yours.

But. There would be with egg peices. As I explained before. People COULD just pick up like 20 diff egg peices of the same breed and still able to pick up more which would be hoarding.

Again Vicky, hoarding. Doesn't. Exist.

If people want to do that then they can. There is no rule saying they can't. By the rules of the game, it is not unfair.

But. There would be with egg peices. As I explained before. People COULD just pick up like 20 diff egg peices of the same breed and still able to pick up more which would be hoarding.

No. It. Wouldn't.

If I'm fast enough to click on 3 gold eggs in one day, does that make it hoarding? No! It just means I've got quick fingers! It doesn't make me a hoarder, even though gold eggs are technically rare dragons.

Again Vicky, hoarding. Doesn't. Exist.

If people want to do that then they can. There is no rule saying they can't. By the rules of the game, it is not unfair.

It would in this case. The only reason it doesnt in hatchlings and normal eggs is because even if you pick up a hatchling and freeze it at one point it would count toward the limit where as egg peices would not.

It would in this case. The only reason it doesnt in hatchlings and normal eggs is because even if you pick up a hatchling and freeze it at one point it would count toward the limit where as egg peices would not.

Yes, but if you read through the thread, you'd see that several people(myself included) have mentioned that we think that IF we did the whole shard idea(and some people understandably have reservations against it all together), that the pieces SHOULD, in some way, count, such as fusing the pieces together, and only being able to have so many fused pieces at once.

But even if people DID collect tons of pieces, it wouldn't do them much food because pieces, alone, do not make up an egg. Each piece would be part of a whole, and you have a ton of one particular piece(let's say piece number three), then you're not going to have any eggs, so who cares?

Edited by LSama

You know, as much as I like the egg graphics and the idea of frozen eggs, I have to join the dissenters.

True, once a bred egg leaves the breeder's hands, it belongs to whoever picks it up. But that doesn't stop us from getting annoyed when the hatchling ends up with a bad name or killed. (Frozen, I personally don't care about. Frozen hatchlings are cute and I feel they add some needed variety to a scroll.)

And more, eggs are ultimately just... clumps of color. They're exciting because they represent potential. Even a hatchling is already a dragon, and you're not totally missing out by freezing one, but a frozen egg.... it's a round lump of color. A little ball of potential, endlessly unrealized. I dread the unscratchable psychological itch that would lead to for us OCD types. xd.png

Though if you could name them, then I'd have to be in favor. (Naming an egg? Well, some people have pet rocks...)