HeatherMarie

Freezing Eggs

I'll do my best to answer these in my opinion... forgive me if I'm wrong on something. ^^;

1) Wouldn't this count as killing them?

I highly doubt it. On other sites that allow frozen eggs they are very much alive. Think of it as crystallization. My Leetle tree, for instance, just has 'you cannot abandon this egg because it is frozen', which leads me to believe the eggs aren't 'dead', as such.

2) People would count the freexing of rares, esspecially if they were CB, as unfair hoarding. I'm not sure how strong an argument this would be, but still....

This was something that was brought up in the chatroom, if I recall. While I highly doubt many people are going to freeze a CB gold or silver, I see your point. The counter arguement I can think of to that is that 'hoarding' doesn't actually exist, despite what people might say.

3) People might overuse it. E.g. freezing pinks from the AP, using it to unlock scroll, etc.

Considering the state of the cave? I think it'd be a good thing to freeze a heap of unwanted breeds. As for unlocking a scroll, people do that with freezing hatchlings already.

Yeah but I also think we should have the action to unfreeze them if we wish to.

Bad idea, then it WOULD be cheating. Think about it. People freeze a heap of eggs to unlock themselves, and then when the time is right, unfreeze an egg when they shouldn't (such as having 5 hatchlings, 3 eggs, and wanting a 4th) THAT is a surefire way of abusing the feature.

Someone--and I can't remember who, so forgive me--had the great idea of having an option to put the shell back together of a hatched egg to preserve it.

I love that idea! biggrin.gif

Edited by skinst

Good point but some people might want to unfreeze after a while. Just a thought since I'm really irritated with myself now for freezing Belll cuz I would have used her with my new male split.

While that is true, it has been discussed in the past about wanting to unfreeze hatchies and it was shot down, so I believe the same would be true for this as well. '

All I can say is to be a bit more careful about freezing next time. ^^;

I'm fairly certain TJ's said this was going to happen before.

Just not for eggs that have started cracking, or sommat like that.

I highly doubt it. On other sites that allow frozen eggs they are very much alive. Think of it as crystallization. My Leetle tree, for instance, just has 'you cannot abandon this egg because it is frozen', which leads me to believe the eggs aren't 'dead', as such.

I'm not saying these are all my opinions- I just remember a few months ago when in General Discussion somebody made a topic asking "Who freezes hatchlings"? People were amazingly divided about it. A lot of people didn't like it because they pereived it as killing and stuffing the hatchling for show.

I didn't agree with that- I see the hatchling as kinda living in eternal youth. But an egg? It just sorta sits there. It can't play, or anything. I can imagine some people would be angry about that.

Of course, they're all just pixels, so.... tongue.gif

FYI, I think that freezing a whole bunch of 'unwanted' eggs would be very, very bad for the cave unless living eggs count as a living member of the breed. The cave would only produce even more of those eggs (or allow more of them produced in breeding) to balance out the ratios.

That said, I think that there should be an egg-freezing option, but that it should have limits.

1. in order to keep people from using it to avoid being scroll-locked, a frozen egg should behave like an egg that's been killed. It should count for an egg slot for 24 hours. This will encourage people who don't really want the egg to abandon it rather than freezing it for convenience.

2. I don't think it should be reversible. That holds the potential for abuse.

3. I think there should be a limit on how many frozen eggs of a particular breed there can be. If we look at this as sprite collecting, there isn't much reason to have, say, ten or twenty of one kind of frozen egg.

4. I would say it should be possible to freeze both cave-born and bred eggs.

3. I think there should be a limit on how many frozen eggs of a particular breed there can be. If we look at this as sprite collecting, there isn't much reason to have, say, ten or twenty of one kind of frozen egg.

Holiday limited releases aside, I see no reason for this. If someone wants twenty of something, why stop them? I have a gazillion pebbles, even though those sprites are all the same. I would suggest NOT putting a limit on frozen egg amounts - let each player play the game their way.

A solution to both of these would be something like "peice the eggs back together" after the hatchling has hatched.

This is still my favourite solution to the problem. :3 Icanhazplz?

I would love to freeze some eggs, simply because I love how they look and would like to preserve them on my scroll.

I'd quite like it. I really would. Some of the egg sprites are really beautiful. (I'm rather fond of the gold and blue stripe, myself).

However, time to bring up some points that I saw in the 'freezing hatchlings' topic a while back.

1) Wouldn't this count as killing them? You can get away with hatchlings as being in a state of eternal youth, but eggs? I know some people will be against this.

2) People would count the freexing of rares, esspecially if they were CB, as unfair hoarding. I'm not sure how strong an argument this would be, but still....

3) People might overuse it. E.g. freezing pinks from the AP, using it to unlock scroll, etc.

A solution to both of these would be something like "peice the eggs back together" after the hatchling has hatched. This sounds a bit like cheating, in my opinion, but if there was a failure rate...

I like this idea a lot! It eliminates the possibility of abuse, since you have to do the work and hatch the egg, and you don't have to feel like you've got this dead, frozen egg on your scroll. You've merely saved the used shell. biggrin.gif

I don't think it would be like cheating, if it doesn't 'count' as a dragon or frozen hatchie.

Edited by nonnymouse

Holiday limited releases aside, I see no reason for this. If someone wants twenty of something, why stop them? I have a gazillion pebbles, even though those sprites are all the same. I would suggest NOT putting a limit on frozen egg amounts - let each player play the game their way.

I don't object to players having as many of each dragon as they like or playing the way they like. If you like a particular sprite, by all means get tons of them. A lot of work goes into making most sprites, and most importantly, work goes into raising them.

My reasoning behind the egg limit is as follows:

Save in the case of rares, it would take practically no effort to pick up an egg and freeze it.

This is a game and I think it should require playing. One shouldn't get something for nothing. I don't like the idea of someone picking up egg after egg and freezing them, expending only the effort it takes to click them out of the cave. It just seems like a cheat somehow.

If unlimited frozen eggs are allowed then I think it should be a process more than an action. Example: I mark an egg as frozen right when I pick it up. For the next few days, it takes up an egg slot and it requires as many views and clicks as an unfrozen egg would take to hatch. Once it has reached the same age as it would normally hatch with enough views, then it should be able to survive like a frozen hatchling without support. That way, at least, freezing eggs will take effort. If something like that is put in place, then I would be fine with unlimited frozen eggs.

Hmm, to avoid accusations of hoarding for rares, and any problems that'd arise with freezing too many of "unwanted" breeds, maybe a limit of one frozen egg of each breed would be good?

I definitely like the idea of being able to piece together shells after hatchies emerge, though... and, as has been mentioned, that'd pretty well eliminate any potential for abuse that I can think of.

I definitely like the idea of being able to piece together shells after hatchies emerge, though... and, as has been mentioned, that'd pretty well eliminate any potential for abuse that I can think of.

I like this idea too. It would take care of the problem of their being no effort involved in freezing an egg. biggrin.gif

I'm not saying these are all my opinions- I just remember a few months ago when in General Discussion somebody made a topic asking "Who freezes hatchlings"? People were amazingly divided about it. A lot of people didn't like it because they pereived it as killing and stuffing the hatchling for show.

I didn't agree with that- I see the hatchling as kinda living in eternal youth. But an egg? It just sorta sits there. It can't play, or anything. I can imagine some people would be angry about that.

Of course, they're all just pixels, so.... tongue.gif

Hmm, true... I'm mostly going by what I've seen on other sites and the Leetle Tree. ^^;

I support the piecing together option, but no way hosé should anyone ever be able to just freeze an egg on demand, cracks or no. Inexperienced players should not have a Get Out Of Jail Free Card for dead eggs.

...How is it a get out of jail free card for dead eggs? I doubt you could freeze a dead egg. sleep.gif;

...How is it a get out of jail free card for dead eggs? I doubt you could freeze a dead egg. sleep.gif;

I think he means they freeze it because it's about to die.

What if you could only freeze one of each type of egg? One of each breed, and if they have color variations like the stripe or dorsal, one of each color variation. That may be a solution to people using the freeze feature just to clear up the AP. Plus, I don't see what reason someone would have for wanting to freeze more than one of the same egg?

Would there be any time limit on this, or just any time like hatchlings? I'd personally rather not let people freeze cracked eggs, but that's just me. (If you could freeze cracked eggs I could imagine some people trying to collect all cracking stages if there was no limit laugh.gif )

Edited by Neurotoxinx

I think he means they freeze it because it's about to die.

Oh right. xd.png Maybe make it so the eggs can only be frozen if they have no cracks/holes? That would solve that problem for the most part.

@Neurotoxinx - I'm against limiting how many eggs can be frozen per breed. We can freeze as many hatchlings as we want, so why not eggs?

And me personally, I'd make an autumn egg army because I freaking LOVE that egg. <3

Oh right. xd.png Maybe make it so the eggs can only be frozen if they have no cracks/holes? That would solve that problem for the most part.

Unfortunately that wouldn't solve the problem because a lot of times ER-worthy eggs have no cracks and are about to die.

I think I can only support this if it is changed to the egg reconstruction idea or the idea that frozen eggs still need views to survive until they reach the point at which they would normally hatch (age wise and views wise, not with cracks).