HeatherMarie

Freezing Eggs

I could've sworn TJ had weighed in on this before, but search turned up nothing. I know I PMed him about it a long time ago, but never heard back. And I know there have been discussions, but can't seem to find an actual suggestion thread for it.

So. I'm sure the main concern about freezing eggs would be people grabbing tons and tons off the AP and freezing them just to try to free up the AP (the way the AP is right now, I don't think that would be a bad thing, but whatever).

Which is why I would propose a certain limit to how many eggs you can freeze at a time. I don't care what the number is and I'm open to suggestions. I'm just trying to stave off that particular argument. Just for example, people could only freeze 2 eggs per day. Or 5 per week. Or whatever.

The reason I want to freeze eggs is simple: They are beautiful. Some of the designs are very pretty. The spriters worked hard on the eggs just like they did on the hatchlings and adults, and I think it would be nice to be able to make them permanent. Especially some of the new eggs, I would *love* to have a frozen striped egg. They are so pretty.

Again, to anyone who says "well it wouldn't be fair for people to be freezing new eggs when so many others haven't gotten any yet", there can be a limit of some kind. Besides, we already are able to freeze hatchlings.

I just think it would be wonderful to be able to have those pretty eggs there permanently, for those who so choose. I freeze hatchlings because I love the way certain sprites look, and it's the same for eggs. I don't really understand why we can freeze hatchlings but *not* eggs.

I support this, but in some-thread-or-another, someone commented that TJ was rethinking allowing egg freezing. Something about the worry that people would cycle eggs in the AP by grab-and-freeze.

Edited by Layn

How would grab-and-freeze cycle the eggs? Once they're frozen wouldn't they be out of circulation?

that's it. to clear out eggs people would grab-and-freeze.

TJ at one point did say we would have egg freezing, but it seems that nothing came of it.

that's it. to clear out eggs people would grab-and-freeze.

I phail to see how this could be a bad thing. :B

Maybe impose a limit to how many eggs you can freeze in any given time period?

Or make it an ability in the dragon special abilities thread... with a scroll-wide week long cooldown. (For example, no matter how many winter/water/whatever dragons you had, you would only be able to freeze one egg per week.)

Edited by Komodo Gallant

I think that you should be able to freeze eggs, but I think that it should be just one egg of each kind. That way, you can have the egg of your Adults, along side of your hatchlings that you freeze.

Would it be terribly unpopular of me to suggest that frozen eggs count as active eggs for 24 hours...like how the kill action on egg works (only frozen eggs don't dissapear(sp?) after two weeks wink.gif)

That why they wont be mass frozen?

Although I agree atm mass freezing them aint so bad.

Another option : freezing eggs would only work for eggs bred by your own dragons.

That would allow egg collectors to enjoy the nice sprites of the species that they are interested in and that would at the same time prevent a mass grab-and-freeze from the AP (or from the cave, which would be even worse). In addition, there would be no risk that other breeders complain about someone who froze their eggs (some players have strong feelings against freezing).

The only issue would be for dragons that cannot breed : chicken, dinos and paper (I wouldn't support freezing holiday eggs anyway). But that's not a big loss from my point of view. And if there is demand for this, there could be a special case for these eggs so that they could be frozen even if you didn't breed them.

Or make it an ability in the dragon special abilities thread... with a scroll-wide week long cooldown. (For example, no matter how many winter/water/whatever dragons you had, you would only be able to freeze one egg per week.)

YESH!

Well I've had the idea for some time to allow "duds", rather than frozen. Not every successful egg-laying produces a baby.....some eggs are just plain old eggs with no life within them

Perhaps putting in a ratio of how many eggs turn up as duds would help out...there would be an even higher demand for eggs that would clear out the AP and people will be able to keep permanent eggs on their scrolls that won't count towards their limit after "trying" to hatch for 4 days. There could also be a button to dispose of said duds if they find they have more than what they want.

Maybe if you could only freeze one of each species of egg? And also - for rares at least - you can only freeze eggs you bred yourself? Taking an egg straight from the Cave or AP and freezing it seems a complete waste, so once you've bred your own clutch you can keep one egg, you have the choice to freeze that egg when you chose it.

I beleive TJ mentioned freezing eggs several months back. The reason he hasn't implanted it yet is because he is still testing it. I think he's trying to work out the coding so that frozen eggs do not count to the limit.

I agree that it sounds like a good idea if there is a limit. I love the egg sprites and would like to have one of each on my scroll.

Personally I am not a fan of the idea of egg freezing, but I seem to be the minority here. If he does, I hope that not only do they count like the dead eggs, but that they actually keep you from grabbing more eggs(in that slot, like if you had three eggs and froze one, you would only have one empty spot, not two) for a set period of time, preferably a day or more.

Edited by Nectaris

That's why I like the idea of having dud eggs instead of freezing....you don't know it's a dud and try to hatch it for like...I dunno...4 days around...then you realize it's a dud and it no longer counts towards your egg acount....so you will have a limit of 4 eggs at any one time for 4 days per egg.

That's why I like the idea of having dud eggs instead of freezing....you don't know it's a dud and try to hatch it for like...I dunno...4 days around...then you realize it's a dud and it no longer counts towards your egg acount....so you will have a limit of 4 eggs at any one time for 4 days per egg.

Sorry, I dislike that more than freezing. At least with freezing you get a choice of whether or not you will lock yourself. Not only would I not like waiting for four days, but what if it was a gold? I don't like the idea that I, or someone else, could breed their first gold only to find out it was a "dud".

Sorry but I feel it gives more element to a game if not everything works in favor of the player....

Maybe so, but you'll still have less people in favor of this than freezing most likely and it won't get implemented if there isn't a want for it. I personally think it should be a choice, because as stated not everyone likes the idea of freezing anything. I only freeze inbred dragons, and then only so I don't accidentally mix that in with the rest of my breeding.

Not everyone will want a frozen egg on their scroll, and making it so some eggs are duds doesn't give them a choice. If the duds were implemented there would be a lot of P-Oed people, whereas there'd be less if it was only freezing eggs.

Or that's MHO

As far as what I think about freezing eggs, I hope they count for at least a day or so. That would be plenty to stop people from mass freezing just to clear up the AP, because who would want to be scroll locked with frozen eggs?

If freezing is only allowed for one's own eggs, then a time limit may not be necessary.

However, if one can catch and freeze any eggs, then they should count in your scroll at least for two or three days (close to the time it would take for the egg to hatch).

For the moment, there are some players who are just interested in filling their scroll as fast as possible so every time one of their eggs hatches, they freeze the young dragon. This allows them to be twice as fast as the other players because they don't have to wait 3-4 more days for the dragon to become adult. If it was possible to freeze eggs, I'm afraid that some players would spend their time collecting and freezing as many eggs as possible. After a few days they would have thousands of frozen eggs on their scroll and be proud of it.

I would be happy if freezing was allowed only for eggs coming from my own dragons. If that's not the case, then there should be a time limit of at least two or three days in order to prevent the kind of abuses that I described above.

With dead eggs deliberately killed there is a 5 per scroll limit, with the dead egg counting toward that limit for 2 weeks. A deliberately killed cave egg counts as an egg on your scroll for 24 hours. What if the freezing limit were exactly the same?

That wouldn't stop players from grabbing unloved eggs from the cave or AP and quickly freezing them to move them out of the way, and breeders would still yelp if their bred eggs were frozen, especially if a trade were intercepted and the egg frozen before they could post an offer for its return, but that happens now with hatchlings and with bred eggs being killed.

i like the idea of freezing eggs. however, just like others says there should be limit on it.. own bred eggs only would be freezable.. i like that one. but then the papers, chicken and dino... one of each kind would be freezable per scroll.. i think that would be fair.

I would like to freeze eggs for collection purposes.. 1 per type only. Making it so that you can only use your own bred eggs is best, so that no one gets irked about freezing 'their' babies. But if I'm freezing my own bred egg, I see no reason for any penalty.

My question is, how will egg freezing affect the production ratios? Supposedly, the cave produces eggs based on a formula that is partially based on what eggs get bred. Like when a lot of golds get bred, fewer golds appear in the cave. I have no clue what the formula is or how it works, but how would it be affected by freezing eggs?

Would it be terribly unpopular of me to suggest that frozen eggs count as active eggs for 24 hours...like how the kill action on egg works (only frozen eggs don't dissapear(sp?) after two weeks wink.gif)

That why they wont be mass frozen?

Although I agree atm mass freezing them aint so bad.

I like this idea.

I didn't read the whole thread so this has probably have been brought up already, but I think one of the problems with this would be people who grabbed the wrong egg in a cave drop would freeze it and go right back to hunting. By implementing this people have less of an incentive to freeze just to clear or cycle the eggs.