HeatherMarie

Freezing Eggs

Maybe a complete different approach:

Why not showing all prior stages on the detail page of a dragon? I think most people just want to freeze to have a complete collection of all sprites. So just give them the sprites they want. It's strange anyway that you erase the old image of a dragon when it grows up.

This way nobody should get hurt, neither the breeders, nor the server, nor the collectors.

PS: For non full grown dragons show only the sprites for the previous stages of course, not for all.

I like this idea.

Every time I think about freezing eggs I think about a sort of DC's Festival of eggs.

It would be really great if, on next DC's birthday, we could be allowed to collect any kind of eggs like we did with Halloween tricks or Easter eggs and place them on our scrolls between our dragons; every year everyone could complete his/her collection grabbing the new eggs released during the year and the egg he/she couldn't take during the last festival and the new members could get all the eggs that they haven't still get.

Obviously, once you get it, the egg is frozen like the Little Tree.

The users that don't want freezed eggs could just avoid to click on them smile.gif

I support this. Now paper's "unfold" I would love to freeze a couple. Also, sprite collectors would love this. I think CB's and eggs not bred by you should have a freezing limit but eggs bred by you should not. (I mean time, not amount).

I read some of the Proposed BSA where the Paper dragon puts a hatched egg back together. I thought that was cute idea, and it would keep people from picking up eggs just to freeze them, as far as new releases and rares go.

Every time I think about freezing eggs I think about a sort of DC's Festival of eggs.  It would be really great if, on next DC's birthday, we could be allowed to collect any kind of eggs like we did with Halloween tricks or Easter eggs and place them on our scrolls between our dragons; every year everyone could complete his/her collection grabbing the new eggs released during the year and the egg he/she couldn't take during the last festival and the new members could get all the eggs that they haven't still get. Obviously, once you get it, the egg is frozen like the Little Tree. The users that don't want freezed eggs could just avoid to click on them

I like this idea, too, so long as the eggs are actually on your scroll instead of a different page, like the Festival of Eggs are.

I read some of the Proposed BSA where the Paper dragon puts a hatched egg back together. I thought that was cute idea, and it would keep people from picking up eggs just to freeze them, as far as new releases and rares go.

What does it matter if they are frozen as eggs, frozen as hatchlings or let to grow? I don't understand the agreement of freezing rare or new release eggs? I have seen both killed and bitten before. Why would freezing be different? I am not picking on anyone here, I really just want to know why freezing these eggs is so bad?

What does it matter if they are frozen as eggs, frozen as hatchlings or let to grow? I don't understand the agreement of freezing rare or new release eggs? I have seen both killed and bitten before. Why would freezing be different? I am not picking on anyone here, I really just want to know why freezing these eggs is so bad?

I agree as long as people can't use it to unlock and get more eggs. What if (a) you can't freeze it until 5hrs after you got it from the cave and (B) it kept you locked for 24hrs like a kill would?

Edit: Stupid emoticons....

EDIT2:

I dunno, I really like some of the cracking sequences of eggs, so I'd love to be able to freeze a cracked egg.

I'd love that too- I'd freeze it in every sequence if I could!

Edited by stogucheme

Just because some people kill or bite new releases or rares doesn't mean everyone does, and personally I think it's kind of selfish. That egg could have gone to someone who really wanted it and would've taken good care of it, and you can always get a common egg that nobody wants, and bite it.

I suppose if frozen eggs wouldn't count towards the ratios and all that, I don't see it really being a problem. That was just my suggestion for the people who are against freezing an egg.

Edited by rainbowsmile

Just because some people kill or bite new releases or rares doesn't mean everyone does, and personally I think it's kind of selfish. That egg could have gone to someone who really wanted it and would've taken good care of it, and you can always get a common egg that nobody wants, and bite it.

I suppose if frozen eggs wouldn't count towards the ratios and all that, I don't see it really being a problem. That was just my suggestion for the people who are against freezing an egg.

On the same note, not everyone is going to freeze eggs, or freeze new release or rare eggs either.

As far as 'selfish' goes, I agree and disagree. I have no metals, and only recently got a bronze tinsel. So I do get kinda jealous when I see someone with a bunch of rares, or bragging about biting them. But that is part of the game. It is their egg to do with what they please. Is it fair to everyone? No. But that is not what this game is about.

I do agree about not counting towards the ratios. My suggestion for freezing eggs is that they take a slot up for 24 hours, and you have a certain number of freezes, like with freezing hatchlings. Like you only have X number every 2 weeks.

All very true. Some people who play the game don't even think it's right to freeze hatchies, so it all depends upon the user.

I guess the reason I'm most opposed to it is people would pick up eggs, freeze them to unlock, and then go back to catch more, at least as far as the new releases go. So your suggestion would work out pretty well, too, and it would keep me from having a ton of hatchies and dragons that I don't want just because I wanted the egg (if putting the pieces of the hatched egg method were used).

All very true. Some people who play the game don't even think it's right to freeze hatchies, so it all depends upon the user.

I guess the reason I'm most opposed to it is people would pick up eggs, freeze them to unlock, and then go back to catch more, at least as far as the new releases go. So your suggestion would work out pretty well, too, and it would keep me from having a ton of hatchies and dragons that I don't want just because I wanted the egg (if putting the pieces of the hatched egg method were used).

Well, we could always say that you can only freeze eggs 5 hrs after they were gotten and freezing an egg would take up an egg slot for 24 hrs.

Well, we could always say that you can only freeze eggs 5 hrs after they were gotten and freezing an egg would take up an egg slot for 24 hrs.

You don't have to wait 5 hours to kill an egg, only to abandon it, so I don't think you should have to wait to freeze it. It's enough that it takes up a slot for 24 hours.

We often seem to get stuck on the idea of "freezing" an egg so I'm just going to reiterate another possibility:

Piecing the shell together AFTER the egg has become a hatchling.

That way, we can circumvent the whole ethical concern.

This idea has been suggested before but seems to get lost in this thread pretty often.

Edited by miladyz

We often seem to get stuck on the idea of "freezing" an egg so I'm just going to reiterate another possibility:

Piecing the shell together AFTER the egg has become a hatchling.

That way, we can circumvent the whole ethical concern.

This idea has been suggested before but seems to get lost in this thread pretty often.

Oooh!

I actually quite like this idea, as a way to get around the 'dead egg' or 'frozen egg' ideas/concerns. We wouldn't have anyone fussing about rares being trapped as eggs forever, either.

Could be that it's something that we can try for the first 24 hours after a dragon has hatched, with a certain element of success? Only because I can't imagine that all shells would crack smoothly. tongue.gif

This would keep cave hunters and such happy, too, because if it's a pieced together egg then it doesn't need to take up an egg slot, does it?

Could be that it's something that we can try for the first 24 hours after a dragon has hatched, with a certain element of success? Only because I can't imagine that all shells would crack smoothly. tongue.gif

This would keep cave hunters and such happy, too, because if it's a pieced together egg then it doesn't need to take up an egg slot, does it?

You're right that eggs don't always crack smoothly so it would make sense for it to have a certain success rate.

However, what would we do in the case of holiday eggs?

With the exception of Halloween dragons, we are only allowed to have 2 of any holiday dragon.

If we reach that limit, we cannot pick up or hatch eggs of that type anymore.

How would we be able to collect those eggshells?

The same idea applies to rare eggs such as metallics.

What if you only ever managed to get one Gold or Tinsel?

You love that egg, but you tried to put it back together and it failed.

You would then have to somehow get another one if you want the shell.

On another note, it would be silly for an empty egg shell to take up an egg slot.

If you wanted to collect more than 7 empty shells (or less, depending on trophy level) then you would never be able to pick up an egg again.

You're right that eggs don't always crack smoothly so it would make sense for it to have a certain success rate.

However, what would we do in the case of holiday eggs?

With the exception of Halloween dragons, we are only allowed to have 2 of any holiday dragon.

If we reach that limit, we cannot pick up or hatch eggs of that type anymore.

How would we be able to collect those eggshells?

The same idea applies to rare eggs such as metallics.

What if you only ever managed to get one Gold or Tinsel?

You love that egg, but you tried to put it back together and it failed.

You would then have to somehow get another one if you want the shell.

On another note, it would be silly for an empty egg shell to take up an egg slot.

If you wanted to collect more than 7 empty shells (or less, depending on trophy level) then you would never be able to pick up an egg again.

i posted some possible solutions to those problems awhile back in one of the other freezing egg threads:

if you piece back together the egg shell the success rate could be opposite of it's rarity

for holidays or limited number dragons the egg shells would have a 100% success rate, and you wouldn't have to worry about getting more then at least one

((also for anylimited time dragon that was released prior to 'egg freezing' implementation you should get an egg shell IF you meet the requirements of having one of that breed on your scroll Ex: holidays, bright pink, frill, summon))

same could be applied to metallics depending on what TJ wants to do about that

i've been trying to breed a gold for at least over a year and have had no success

(tinsels also but they've actually been spreading rather rapidly)

then again it shouldn't be too low of a success rate for common breeds cause that would just be annoying to have to hatch a bunch of mints just to send them to the AP or wilderness....BUT then again that could help clear out the AP because you would be changing and undesired egg into a hatchling thus raising it's desirability a bit

(this would be applied if the egg shell becomes a seperate entity from the dragon itself thus allowing you to keep both or only one)

as for egg slot i would say that because the shell itself isn't a living thing i would think it would work like freezing hatchlings or something like when you piece it back together you put it on say a "shelf" and it would just be a icon on your scroll or it could go on a separate page like the easter basket and trick or treating

I think the easiest way to implement the egg shell piecing action would be

A-- If they will remain on the scroll as sprites -- there could be an action on the newly hatched dragon to collect and piece together the egg sprites

B-- The shells would act like easter eggs icons -- the "shelf/basket/whatever shell storage" could have two sections, a shell fragments area where the shells pieces would gather until you wish to put them together, and the actual display area which would show all your completed eggs

A-- i believe would work if there is a timer on when you have to collect the fragments (example: within 24 hours of hatching)

B--would make it more forgiving if you either forget about collecting the shell or say for someone who doesn't think to start getting egg sprites until after the fact(more forgiving for newer players and holiday shells)

with B maybe also have the egg type piles have a tally of how many eggs went into that pile? thus increasing success rate for commons(if success rate varies depending on breed) so rather than trying to put together 1 mint egg, you might have 5 seperate eggs stored there and your success rate would be increased by X-amount for each additional egg

Edited by darkshadow5392

if you piece back together the egg shell the success rate could be opposite of it's rarity

for holidays or limited number dragons the egg shells would have a 100% success rate, and you wouldn't have to worry about getting more then at least one

((also for any limited time dragon that was released prior to 'egg freezing' implementation you should get an egg shell IF you meet the requirements of having one of that breed on your scroll Ex: holidays, bright pink, frill, summon))

i've been trying to breed a gold for at least over a year and have had no success

then again it shouldn't be too low of a success rate for common breeds cause that would just be annoying to have to hatch a bunch of mints just to send them to the AP or wilderness....BUT then again that could help clear out the AP because you would be changing and undesired egg into a hatchling thus raising it's desirability a bit

(this would be applied if the egg shell becomes a seperate entity from the dragon itself thus allowing you to keep both or only one)

as for egg slot i would say that because the shell itself isn't a living thing i would think it would work like freezing hatchlings or something like when you piece it back together you put it on say a "shelf" and it would just be a icon on your scroll or it could go on a separate page like the easter basket and trick or treating

A-- If they will remain on the scroll as sprites -- there could be an action on the newly hatched dragon to collect and piece together the egg sprites

B-- The shells would act like easter eggs icons -- the "shelf/basket/whatever shell storage" could have two sections, a shell fragments area where the shells pieces would gather until you wish to put them together, and the actual display area which would show all your completed eggs

A-- i believe would work if there is a timer on when you have to collect the fragments (example: within 24 hours of hatching)

B--would make it more forgiving if you either forget about collecting the shell or say for someone who doesn't think to start getting egg sprites until after the fact(more forgiving for newer players and holiday shells)

with B maybe also have the egg type piles have a tally of how many eggs went into that pile? thus increasing success rate for commons(if success rate varies depending on breed) so rather than trying to put together 1 mint egg, you might have 5 seperate eggs stored there and your success rate would be increased by X-amount for each additional egg

Thank you darkshadow5392! That pretty much solves everything. biggrin.gif

What do other people think of this idea?

((also for anylimited time dragon that was released prior to 'egg freezing' implementation you should get an egg shell IF you meet the requirements of having one of that breed on your scroll Ex: holidays, bright pink, frill, summon))

Wow! Nicely said ^^ I really hope this gets the green light

WB

This is ONLY in reply to the original thread post:

1. TJ stated in 2008 that the coding for egg freezing was done (or nearly done) and would be implemented "soon." The suggestion threads before and since are all long gone, as is the news thread where TJ stated this.

2. My understanding of the ratios is that a dragon "doesn't count" until it has hatched? If this is so, then freezing eggs, unlike freezing hatchlings, would have no effect on the ratios whatsoever, though obviously the ratios would still affect the availability of the eggs.

I believe I can also give my opinion on this topic.

I agree with the “put the egg back together after the hatchling hatched” idea. Even if it is “having your cake and eating it too”. I feel that this is the best way to eliminate complaints. An alternate idea would be to have the females have the ability to lay infertile eggs. Chickens can do this in real life, so why not dragons?

I do not agree with the idea of collecting pieces of eggshell from the cave, and from many different eggs. This is impossible in real life. Think about it, all eggs break differently. If you broke two chicken eggs and tried to put pieces from both shells together, it won’t work. Only pieces from the same egg can fit together in the way that is necessary to put the egg together.

With frozen hatchies, the description of the freezing action reads “You perform a spell that prevents the hatchling from growing up” or something like that. You could also perform a spell that allows you to put the pieces back together after hatching. It would say something like this; “You perform a magic spell that puts the pieces of the egg back together”. If a fail rate was put into play, it would read like this if the freezing failed; “You perform a magic spell that puts the pieces of the eggshell back together. But when you look at it, you notice that one of the pieces is missing. It is not the perfect eggshell you wanted, so you throw it away.” I am not saying I like the fail rate idea, I am neutral on that, just that this is an idea.

I completely disagree with the unfreezing egg idea. It is cheating, wrong, and hatchies can’t be unfrozen, why should eggs?

I agree with treating frozen eggs as dead eggs. Before a dead egg disappears from your scroll, it takes up an egg slot for a while. Before a frozen egg can be gotten rid of, you should have to wait. This is only if the hatch-and-collect-eggshell-pieces is not put into play.

I am neutral on the egg limits. I only want one or two of the breeds that I want frozen eggs of, so it makes no difference to me.

I do not agree that the eggs should be only cave-born, only self-bred, or only bred. There are eggs that cannot be obtained through breeding, and eggs that cannot be obtained through the cave.

I wrote this up during my "lurking" period, during which I did not join either the forum or the cave, so some of this might be outdated.

i posted some possible solutions to those problems awhile back in one of the other freezing egg threads:

I quite like this! However, one thing.

As mentioned in one of the last posts, eggs never crack the same. I'd also like to point out (as an OCD person who has had more than 40 pet hens that eggs are almost never the same exact size and shape.

I don't know about the eggs you buy in a store; those rather scare me... But for example I know two hens, sisters, of the same breed who laid eggs of very different size and shape. Usually the hen will have very similar eggs every time. For example, one of the sisters had large, very round eggs, while the other had also large, but more oval-shaped. They were longer than the average egg.

Okay I lied... Two things:

I'd still like to see the sprite on the scroll (so we can group up the collection of the species: egg, hatchling, adult).

Well freezing eggs...Yeah it might be a good idea. To be honset I don't really mind if we get it or not but I would never freeze them unless I know what i'm doing

This is something that I've thought about a few times myself and I'm still kind of torn between whether I like the idea of freezing eggs or whether I don't. But one thing I do know, if something like this was implemented, then I think that the best way to do it would be to have a limit on one frozen egg of each breed per scroll (like with leetle trees).

I think that would be one way to keep it sort of fair and would be a sort of middle ground between the people who do and the people who don't want to be able to freeze eggs. It would mean that you could do it to an extent, but you couldn't go crazy.

I don't get why the limit should have to be so strict. We are allowed more then that of holiday dragons!

I think the best thing to do in terms of limits would simply be a freezing-limit the same way we have with hatchlings. You can only freeze a certain number of eggs every so often.

I can't see any logical reason to limit the number of eggs per breed that you can freeze. People already freeze armies of hatchlings, so it's not like suddenly dragons will be pulled out of the breeding pool, that happens already.

I don't get why the limit should have to be so strict. We are allowed more then that of holiday dragons!

I think the best thing to do in terms of limits would simply be a freezing-limit the same way we have with hatchlings. You can only freeze a certain number of eggs every so often.

I can't see any logical reason to limit the number of eggs per breed that you can freeze. People already freeze armies of hatchlings, so it's not like suddenly dragons will be pulled out of the breeding pool, that happens already.

^This. I am one person who does not like having only one of something, and chances are, I would not use it at all if we were limited to only one per species(to me if you had a limit of one per species, a badge containing images of the eggs you have hatched would be better, it circumvents any moral issues and keeps a limit of one per species).

Edited by Nectaris