HeatherMarie

Freezing Eggs

I've already expressed my opinion on frozen hatchies, I shall not keep repeating myself.

Cool down period, not limit, just to slow things down is my opinion.

Though I say with an adult, not everyone breeds them - but the option is just there. Again, I'm not repeating what I've said before that sums is all I'm saying. Honestly, the same arguments crop up over and over again, its not worth repeating every 5 posts in case someone blinked and missed it when someone said it the first 30,000+ times.

I don't know everything you've said ever, so it's moot to just say "I've already said this so I won't say it again" but if you really hate repeating yourself, it's not that hard to either find one of the first "30,000+" times you've said it to copypasta or just let the "same argument" go on over and over again without your continued participation.

But thank you for clarifying.

And so? As you said, just because the option is there doesn't mean people will use it. The only way the breeding argument is valid is if people are forced to breed to share eggs.

~

I still like the badge/trophy idea, too. Easier and quicker than the wiki, especially for those that don't know there's a wiki yet. :3

Plus, the wiki isn't really a part of the site, so (in my head at least) it doesn't "count".

Hi! My name's Shokomon! I've spotted a lot of comments about saving eggs, the most recent idea being a DragonCave Theme festival of eggs (Click here if you like that idea.), which gets around the whole anti-freezing issue. However, as nice as that idea is, I don't want to wait until Easter to save egg sprites. There are also cases of when people can't go on to Dragoncave during Easter time, and miss the chance to save the pretty eggs. So, I thought up another idea: Saving Copies of the eggs and not the egg itself.

It would work based on the idea that You (the user) on a SCROLL (a parchment/paper) with PICTURES of all the dragons you take care of. If you decide to catch/breed an egg, YOU recorded on your scroll. And since, this is your scroll, you can DRAW a picture of the egg on another part of your scroll for safe-keeping.

In other words once you get an egg, there would be a drawing action (like the abandon or kill actions) that would allow you make a copy of the egg sprite on to the bottom of the scroll or on a separate page (donated by a pencil or camera on your scroll). Thus, you have a nice picture of the egg sprite, and an untouched egg, ready for the hatching. The drawing action will probably one time thing per egg.

So what do you guys think? Tell me your ideas, complaints, and opinions. Hopefully, this gets around all the big of the issues with the saving the eggs.

~ Shokomon happy.gif

Action Limits:

1) Eggs only. If you want a picture of a hatchling, freeze one, and if you want an adult, catch an egg and raise one.

2) 1 time use per egg.

3) You can only take pictures of eggs on your own scroll. If you want the picture, you got to catch the egg. No stealing from other peoples scrolls or cheating from the AP.

Question: Do you want the eggs to appear on the same page as the dragons with necessary limitations or on a separate page like with the trick-or-treat items?

Any other ideas?

Edited by Shokomon

Yes, the dragons we have on our scrolls are technically only drawings to represent what we've grabbed so far, but we also had to collect them and keep them the way we want them, whereas this we would not only get a "frozen" egg, but also a hatchling from the egg, which I don't really like. If something like this were put into place, I'd like some sort of limits. For example, same cool down as frozen hatchlings (can do five before have to wait a bit or whatnot) and when you draw an egg, it takes up an egg slot for 24 hours, along with the egg still taking up its egg slot. JMO. :3

....that's pretty good, actually. Yeah, I like it.

I agree that there should be some limits about it, just because I think it adds a level of planning to the game (eg. if you really what a drawing of that Yulebuck egg, you better plan to have space in advance).

Yes, the dragons we have on our scrolls are technically only drawings to represent what we've grabbed so far, but we also had to collect them and keep them the way we want them, whereas this we would not only get a "frozen" egg, but also a hatchling from the egg, which I don't really like. If something like this were put into place, I'd like some sort of limits. For example, same cool down as frozen hatchlings (can do five before have to wait a bit or whatnot) and when you draw an egg, it takes up an egg slot for 24 hours, along with the egg still taking up its egg slot. JMO. :3

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the way I intended this action is that it makes a copy of the eggs sprite, so that you just have a pretty picture, much like the trick-or-treat or festival-of-eggs sprites. That picture of the egg wouldn't hatch and the action would only be limited to eggs. If you wanted a picture of a certain egg, you would have to catch the real egg, so you only get the pictures you want. You wouldn't be able to draw from other people's scroll or straight from the AP.

Oh, and about the slot thing, that will depend if people want the egg pictures to be on the same page as the hatchies and dragons or on a separate page like with the festival-of-eggs.

If this isn't what you meant, then please explain it to me, so I can better adjust it.

Edited by Shokomon

Yeah, I tend to be confusing sometimes. x3

When you freeze a hatchling, you can no longer get an adult out of that particular hatchling. So you only got one thing from the egg. In your suggestion, it sounds like you get a "frozen" egg and you get to keep that egg to turn it into a hatchling. So you get a "frozen" egg and you get an egg in which can still grow, giving you two things from one egg. Is this correct? :3

If so, I think there need to be limits in place to prevent abuse, just like there are limits in place with freezing hatchlings. :3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Yeah, I tend to be confusing sometimes. x3

When you freeze a hatchling, you can no longer get an adult out of that particular hatchling. So you only got one thing from the egg. In your suggestion, it sounds like you get a "frozen" egg and you get to keep that egg to turn it into a hatchling. So you get a "frozen" egg and you get an egg in which can still grow, giving you two things from one egg. Is this correct? :3

If so, I think there need to be limits in place to prevent abuse, just like there are limits in place with freezing hatchlings. :3

Okay, now I understand. Yes, that's what I meant. What kind of limitations would you suggest?

For example, same cool down as frozen hatchlings (can do five before have to wait a bit or whatnot) and when you draw an egg, it takes up an egg slot for 24 hours, along with the egg still taking up its egg slot. JMO. :3

^ Something along the lines of that. :3

Maybe a complete different approach:

Why not showing all prior stages on the detail page of a dragon? I think most people just want to freeze to have a complete collection of all sprites. So just give them the sprites they want. It's strange anyway that you erase the old image of a dragon when it grows up.

This way nobody should get hurt, neither the breeders, nor the server, nor the collectors.

PS: For non full grown dragons show only the srpites for the previous stages of course, not for all.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the way I intended this action is that it makes a copy of the eggs sprite, so that you just have a pretty picture, much like the trick-or-treat or festival-of-eggs sprites. That picture of the egg wouldn't hatch and the action would only be limited to eggs. If you wanted a picture of a certain egg, you would have to catch the real egg, so you only get the pictures you want. You wouldn't be able to draw from other people's scroll or straight from the AP.

Oh, and about the slot thing, that will depend if people want the egg pictures to be on the same page as the hatchies and dragons or on a separate page like with the festival-of-eggs.

If this isn't what you meant, then please explain it to me, so I can better adjust it.

While I like this suggestion, my issue lies with Event eggs. I adore the Valentine eggs. However, I have two of each on my scroll already, and thus can't catch anymore, which means I can't draw a picture of the egg either. How would you solve that?

And I still want to sort frozen eggs on my scroll, not on a seperate page. ;-;

My approach is a little different. I don't really need the eggs saved on my scroll, as I have a Wordpad document where I copy each image as I get it. It's a bit of a cross between the Wiki's Dragon Rarity Guide, Dragon Release Timeline and Which egg is which? lists, and I try to include each of the stages of the egg as it hatches, the s1 and s2 hatchies, and male/female variation, if applicable. I usually keep the page open while I am in the cave, so I can add whatever I need to the list. I have also added the broken egg sprites with occasional wanders thru the graveyard. Saving this on the site is just redundant for me, and the idea of losing an egg space 24 hrs, well... Anyway, just my few cents. smile.gif

I love this idea! But the idea of it takeing up a 24 hour slot is a little bit harsh for me. But the idea of just takeing a pic of the egg its self is just perfect for me. It'll be like makeing a sperate section just for the eggs ((which is the same way I have all my eggs on Uni. I have a land plot just for all my frozen eggs)) that way its only a pic and not the egg its self. The idea of doing this the same way hatchies can be frozen is ok with me. Now how would you go about getting a 2 limmit dragon egg??

WB

I've been wondering, if a vampire bites an egg and kills the embryo inside, wouldn't that save the egg shell? In real life if you want to keep an egg shell as it is, you make two small holes on it and blow the content of the egg out. Vampires do something similar, right?

The only problem with this is not all eggs can be bitten.....

Ooh mee mee!!

*cough* anyway, now I have your attention, here's My ideas to combat the issues-

you can't freeze the egg until say, a day after you get it, in order to allow for people who have had a trade interrupted to arrange giving it back.

the egg still counts as an egg on your scroll for as long as it would take for said egg to hatch- as soon as it would have hatched, it just becomes a frozen egg that doesn't count for anything.

If I've missed a problem, feel free to point it out. I'll probably find a solution.

I too would very much like there was a possibility of freezing the eggs!

If the problem is that many people would take eggs just to freeze them, you could put some limits, some of which had already been told, for example:

- you can freeze only the eggs from your dragons born, so not CB

- you can freeze only 3/5/... eggs a week

- you have to wait 5 hours before you can freeze an egg

- you can freeze only an egg-type

Why would it matter if people took eggs only to freeze them? It's not like there's a shortage of eggs. (overflowing AP, anyone?)

Some people would indeed freeze some rare eggs, yes. But if it's their egg, why shouldn't they if they want? And whether they picked in up in the cave, the ap or bred it, it's still their egg once it's on their scroll.

I do agree that there should be a total limit on freezing eggs, much like the hatchling freeze limit now. X per week. Something like that. What is the current hatchling limit? Make it similar to that, or make it a "total freezing limit" for eggs and hatchlings combined.

someone freezing a gold egg is exactly the same as someone raising a gold dragon, only it takes less time.

and the ratios will be almost unaffected, because most people freezing eggs will want one of each anyway.

actually, the whole ascended thing would have pretty similar effects to this, yet there isn't HALF as much fuss over that. (from what i've seen, anyway.)

As for the ratios, it would depend on the way egg freezing works, and whether or not frozen eggs count towards the ratios. If all the restrictions people are proposing were put in place, no, I don't think it would affect the ratios much.

However, if few or no restrictions were put in place, then yeah, there could be problems. And they more stem from the kinds of people who were using earthquake to kill unwanted eggs than the average collector. If there is nothing stopping people from doing so, people will take an freeze every egg they deem as unwanted.

In short, I am only in favor of egg freezing if there are limitations in place. What they are, I don't really care, except in one case. I do not like a "one egg per breed" rule and will never support that. If something is going to be on my scroll, and not on a page like the easter eggs, I greatly dislike only having one of something.

and the ratios will be almost unaffected, because most people freezing eggs will want one of each anyway.

It is wrong to make such an assumption. You don't know what people will do until the action becomes available.

Edited by Nectaris

It seems odd, because I never freeze hatchlings, but I would love to be able to have a frozen egg of each breed. rolleyes.gif

I do think there needs to be a limit, though, or people would be freezing them in large numbers to clear the AP and cave. They especially need to be limited if they affect the ratios -- there seem to be enough ways to mess that up already!

Personally, I think there should be the same limit as there is on freezing hatchies: 10 per 2 weeks. It's a nice limit, and will save us some confusion as a bonus. One problem: we can't call it 'freezing', really. We put a magic spell on hatchlings that prevents them from growing, but that dosen't quite work here... maybe they could be 'blown' eggs, just a hollow shell?

Personally, I think there should be the same limit as there is on freezing hatchies: 10 per 2 weeks. It's a nice limit, and will save us some confusion as a bonus. One problem: we can't call it 'freezing', really. We put a magic spell on hatchlings that prevents them from growing, but that dosen't quite work here... maybe they could be 'blown' eggs, just a hollow shell?

Personally, I see nothing wrong with calling it freezing. Personally I would rather people left it to their imagination as to what actually happens to the egg than to outright state that you are killing it.

When you "freeze" a hatchling, the text says "You cast a spell on the hatchling that stops any aging". I see no reason why similar words can't be used for eggs. "You cast a spell on the egg that stops any aging" doesn't mean killing and doesn't mean anything bad.... It's just the same as "freezing" a hatchling.

I would looooove egg-freezing, I've wanted it for a long time now. I do agree there should be limits, but I don't see the need to make the limits more complicated or different then the freezing limits we already have.

I think we should move away from "freezing" altogether and start thinking about collecting empty eggshells from hatched dragons. This solves all of the weird ethical problems about freezing eggs.