HeatherMarie

Freezing Eggs

There's a limit on freezing anyway. So people couldn't just cycle through eggs in the Cave. They might be able to do it a few times but not constantly. Besides, if you pick up an egg, the first thing that happens is that you go to its code screen. So if your grab cycled a rare around, by the time you get back to the Cave it will be gone.

It's more likely to be used for clearing the AP, which isn't really a bad thing. But you STILL have a limit on how much freezing you can do even then.

Okay... Lets write this this way to get the issues across here, because some folks are letting things get in the way, like the AP trading system. . ^_-

Common eggs get in the way to get the rares.

*People will grab and freeze eggs to clear the AP to open up the cave

*People will grab and freeze eggs from the Cave to cycle through to get more rares.

Its just an alternative to kill:

*You only get 5 kill tries before you must wait.

*You get 10 freezing.

*You can't name a egg or give it a description, therefore it doesn't even have the same interest value as a frozen hatchling

*Theres currently no limit to freezing hatchlings, so they don't take up a slot for 24 hours like a kill does.

*Killing an egg takes up a slot for 24 hours, freezing an egg under current rules would be the same. So in 24 hours you can kill 5 eggs and freeze 10 eggs.

*Even those who don't freeze hatchlings but do kill eggs, would be tempted to use "freeze" instead to avoid the egg limits. Forget those who freeze hatchlings already, its those who don't even do that which are the problem. They've been waiting already for an excuse to kill more eggs.

Freezing an egg doesn't count towards the ratios?

*But it CAN still mess them up! For every frozen egg thats another egg thats got to be replaced to keep ratios balanced. Its the same with killing. You kill 10 eggs, the cave has to compensate for it.

*Freezing a hatching effect does so why the need for special conditions for eggs?

*The cave can only generate a certain amount of eggs an hour, breeders are free to breed as they please. Depending on how things go, you can take 10 eggs off the AP every couple of weeks and freeze them. BUT the system takes time to replace those 10 eggs.

*If someone is sick of seeing say, pink eggs on the AP, potentially they can grab 10 pink eggs to clear the AP, thus taking away pink eggs as a choice from the AP. The cave has to produce enough to even out the ratios we hit "the pink wall" as a problem. In this case (I'd think it would be rare) it also takes away the variety from the AP., right now we've got about 4-10 breeds of eggs at any one point.

*If you take the three pinks clogging up the cave for example, then the cave has to produce 3 more. Take note, if the cave is constantly having to replace potential common eggs being frozen, we're not going to see the rares we want.

*If the AP is clogged up, people can grab eggs not to raise, but souly to unclog it. While its good to be able to see the cave again, its better if they were raising the eggs into dragons.

Other problems:

*As I said, a lost in trade is still a little hope for a person if they want the egg back. If you can track down who got it, you can offer up Vampires, Silver and Golds if you're that desperate. If not, they'll contact you or check out the LiT. Personnelly I want us to stop talking about this because TJ09 has the Teleport feature in discussion, its pointless talking until we've got "yes" or "no" on it. Plus everyone so busy telling me about the AP, that their missing the more important issues I'm trying to make here.

*Codes, right now hatchlings keep a code in use. While TJ09 has established that its going to be a LONG while before the codes are all used up, the frozen eggs codes will remain on the system and not be reused. This is sharply different to the dead eggs whose codes are (with often humorous results) reused. We could give it anothe rcode that won't effect the systm. If we're going down THIS path, would it not be better to put the egg pieces back together again? Thats doing EXACTLY the same thing. And it doesn't upset anyone!

*The holiday dragons only allow 2 of each, which for those freezing is an adult and a hatchling. Say, next Christmas, people can breed their adult and get a 3rd egg, well I don't want to see the mess if they try to freeze that. The 2 dragons per breeds have to be compensated for.

Edit:

*Also theres no waiting to see if you can successfully raise the egg. Even if you only raise to hatchling stage you've got to withstand any potential sick eggs and so forth. So you can essentially grab many eggs and never see sick eggs and so forth. Maybe good for some, but you don't see the player having to check on the eggs everyday to make sure their okay, thus denying in the frozen egg case players of one potential gaming element.

*Added to the "kill" points, some players sign up just to kill eggs. Oh look, we've given them the ability to kill 14 eggs when they sign up instead of just 4. Aren't we nice?

Edit:

*Also in defence of frozen eggs is the leetle tree and xd.png eg, dragopancakes and so forth being mentioned. Don't forget unlike normally eggs, none of these have the potential to grow up in the first place. They were intended to be decorations, demos and jokes from the start. Whereas normal dragons eggs are intended at the moment JUST to be raised to dragons, be it they even up as a frozen hatchling or adult.

Edited by Geobreeder

*Also theres no waiting to see if you can successfully raise the egg. Even if you only raise to hatchling stage you've got to withstand any potential sick eggs and so forth. So you can essentially grab many eggs and never see sick eggs and so forth. Maybe good for some, but you don't see the player having to check on the eggs everyday to make sure their okay, thus denying in the frozen egg case players of one potential gaming element.

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting, but if players want the experience of checking on their eggs and the potential for sickness... shouldn't they just not freeze their eggs?

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting, but if players want the experience of checking on their eggs and the potential for sickness... shouldn't they just not freeze their eggs?

I can't read that myself, plus I've fixed my words.

-Frozen hatchlings never get sick.

-Eggs and unfrozen hatchlings do.

-Frozen eggs won't get sick.

Thus, freezing an egg takes away a small point of the game, raising the egg to a dragon.

Is that any clearer? I'm not compensating here for those who aren't freezing, we're talking about those who might. It took me a moment to get what you meant. happy.gif'

What if you could only have one frozen egg per breed? Or per sprite? (like, you could have an autumn, winter, spring, and summer egg.) This would prevent people from freezing eggs just as a solution to a stuffed AP.

What if you could only have one frozen egg per breed? Or per sprite? (like, you could have an autumn, winter, spring, and summer egg.) This would prevent people from freezing eggs just as a solution to a stuffed AP.

I think that was raised either, and everyone was okay with that, but it got buried, I think of "Why can't we have 100+ gold eggs if we want, we caught them?" rather aggressively I note. Even I'm fine with that, most collectors are only after one of each sprite and there should be only one of each egg sprite. So they don't miss out.

Edited by Geobreeder

FYI, I think that freezing a whole bunch of 'unwanted' eggs would be very, very bad for the cave unless living eggs count as a living member of the breed. The cave would only produce even more of those eggs (or allow more of them produced in breeding) to balance out the ratios.

That said, I think that there should be an egg-freezing option, but that it should have limits.

1. in order to keep people from using it to avoid being scroll-locked, a frozen egg should behave like an egg that's been killed. It should count for an egg slot for 24 hours. This will encourage people who don't really want the egg to abandon it rather than freezing it for convenience.

2. I don't think it should be reversible. That holds the potential for abuse.

4. I would say it should be possible to freeze both cave-born and bred eggs.

I really like these ideas. I've always wanted to collect the eggs themselves. People would have a reason to get eggs from the AP and cave that they normally wouldn't take.

TJ should add an incentive. For example if you have 1 egg of each common breed you can get a special dragon egg or a leetle for your scroll.

If you manage to get all dino eggs you could get a leetle dino for oyur scroll or something else that's cool.

If you get all the rare eggs, you get another gift. If you get all the eggs, you get a awesome gift on your scroll. Maybe a title of leetle dragcave player with a special dragon.

Say you get 10+ pink eggs you get a title like like leetle pink collector etc.

That way people will still be interested in getting commons and eggs from the AP which would unclog the AP and make the cave more interesting to play.

*Theres currently no limit to freezing hatchlings, so they don't take up a slot for 24 hours like a kill does.

Amm... we HAVE a limit freezing hatchlings, but i can't remember the exact limit...

*Even those who don't freeze hatchlings but do kill eggs, would be tempted to use "freeze" instead to avoid the egg limits.

If you don't want a Egg, you can abandon it. For the CB eggs, I already gave an idea: can't freeze before the 5 hours wait.

*If someone is sick of seeing say, pink eggs on the AP, potentially they can grab 10 pink eggs to clear the AP, thus taking away pink eggs as a choice from the AP.  The cave has to produce enough to even out the ratios we hit "the pink wall" as a problem.  In this case (I'd think it would be rare) it also takes away the variety from the AP., right now we've got about 4-10 breeds of eggs at any one point.

Lucky you to see 10 different breeds in the AP, I usually see 3 or 4 (Pinks, Peebles, Frills and Mints most tongue.gif)

(I'm going to be one of those freezing pink eggs ninja.gif )

*Codes, right now hatchlings keep a code in use.  While TJ09 has established that its going to be a LONG while before the codes are all used up, the frozen eggs codes will remain on the system and not be reused.  This is sharply different to the dead eggs whose codes are (with often humorous results) reused.  We could give it another code that won't effect the system.  If we're going down THIS path, would it not be better to put the egg pieces back together again? Thats doing EXACTLY the same thing.  And it doesn't upset anyone!

You have a good point with the codes... but think that giving them a different code could mess with the lineage system... maybe >>

Besides, I don't like the "back together" idea, what if I only want 2 Splits and an egg? Should I raise "x" number of dragons to get the egg, and then kill/release the remaining adults?

And, if I'm releasing them, they are counting in the ratios, and they are not exactly commons... 10 pinks for every Split I send to the wilderness... that's worse blink.gif

Edited by PinkyHedgehog

I think giving the eggs another set of codes is the best idea. Or maybe make all codes longer.

Is there really a limit on frozen hatchies? I hope it's for the same breed. I would like a frozen hatchie for every breed.

Amm... we HAVE a limit  freezing hatchlings, but i can't remember the exact limit...

Well come back when you know. I never freeze and have never seen anyone mention beyond "you can do it 10 times and it takes two weeks". Killing has "you can do it 5 times" and I think "it takes two weeks" as well as "You loose that eggs slot for 24 hours". Freezing a hatchling as far as I'm aware doesn't take up a slot space, correct me if I'm wrong I don't freeze.

If you don't want a Egg, you can abandon it. For the CB eggs, I already gave an idea: can't freeze before the 5 hours wait.

And yet in this VERY topic there are some who WOULD kill an egg rather then dump it. Example, those who don't want others' to get their eggs.

Lucky you to see 10 different breeds in the AP, I usually see 3 or 4 (Pinks, Peebles, Frills and Mints most tongue.gif)

(I'm going to be one of those freezing pink eggs ninja.gif )

Right now there are:

-Greys

-Whites

-Reds

-Balloons

-Frills

-Purples

-Pinks

-Mints

-green

Today is a GOOD day to be a beginning scroll, thats more types of eggs then a beginner can gather (4 eggs max). laugh.gif

But the second point you make about freezing all pink eggs brings us round to the picking off particular breeds. No pinks, ratio problems. Simple as that.

You have a good point with the codes... but think that giving them a different code could mess with the lineage system... maybe >>

Then someone has to resolve this issue.

Besides, I don't like the "back together" idea, what if I only want 2 Splits and an egg? Should I raise "x" number of dragons to get the egg, and then kill/release the remaining adults?

This my friend is probably one of the better ideas, having to raise dragons to be allowed to freeze an egg. I can agree to that idea as well. If yo release the adults it shouldn't matter anyway anyhow since it won't further count towards the number you can freeze.

And, if I'm releasing them, they are counting in the ratios, and they are not exactly commons... 10 pinks for every Split I send to the wilderness... that's worse blink.gif

Well in the wilderness they still count to ratios don't they? I know at one point there was someone trying to get people to freeze inbred eggs at hatchling stage to send to the wilderness for just so reasons.

Edit:

On the point of preventing someone someone up just to kill DC eggs, one COULD code things so a member can't freeze anything at all for 3 days. I don't know how else you can stop it.

Edited by Geobreeder

I don't want to hear suggestions on how we can call it something else, or how the 'freezing' of a collection of pixels is like abortion or hey, let's have a chance of an infertile egg popping up.

But with so many eggs available, it's becoming harder and harder to remember from the descriptions alone which ones you have and which ones you do not, especially after new releases. And even with the pictures some of the eggs are very similar and you need to squint a bit to see the difference. We need some kind of method so that we can see which eggs we've got, and their descriptions.

The wikia has all the eggs and their descriptions though.

But I definitely (with an I, not an A) think its perhaps time for as guide to the eggs. It could be set up so you only see the things you've already had on your scroll. So if you've never had a gold egg, the description will never be there. If you've onyl ever picked up a red dragon hatchie, thats all you get.

Edited by Geobreeder

If I want to know what a specific egg's "catch phrase" is I go to a fan site and look it up. Then I made a list of what eggs I'm still looking for and have that saved where I can get to it easily. Before I go hunting, I double check the list to refresh my memory.

While I only have less than 250 dragons I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be to go through my scroll and click on each frozen egg to remind me of what phrase I'm looking for.

We shouldn't have to go all the way to a wiki, or make lists. The GPX allows you to keep records of the colour of eggs, why can't we? Plus, some eggs look really beautiful.

Like the new dawn/dusk ones. They are so pretty! I'd love to have just one of those on my scroll, for good.

Exactly. And there are three types of Lush eggs - I want to have one of each.

Frozen Eggs shouldn't count towards the ratio, is all Im saying. Plus they should affect your freezing limit. But asides from that, where's the harm?

Edited by Harley Quinn hyenaholic

It's too bad the rarer dragons won't be getting BSAs because egg freezing would be perfect for the Ice dragon. Regardless, I hope we're able to do it someday. There are many eggs I would love to be able to keep. smile.gif

personally if I'm looking for what an egg looks like i just go over to a fansite and poke around until i find it.

But it could be nice to have a frozen egg option for collection purposes. Also if i remember correctly TJ has(or had) the script ready to go but never put it in for some reason or another.

Sorry if I'm interrupting a discussion, but I agree. The summoned eggs are reeeaaaally pretty.

The infertile egg thing sounds like a good idea. The BSA idea is also pretty neat. Would be lovely to have an egg collection (not really for the purpose of a guide.. but just as a collecting thing). Although I'd prefer there to be a 1 frozen egg limit or something along those lines.

Exactly. And there are three types of Lush eggs - I want to have one of each.

Frozen Eggs shouldn't count towards the ratio, is all Im saying. Plus they should affect your freezing limit. But asides from that, where's the harm?

Egg limits should be imposed. Otherwise, you or I could go into AP or the Cave snag however many eggs we want and freeze them... all.

Also, no one else would be able to get those eggs either (i.e. egg hoarding). Additionally, this might throw the common/rare ratios off, so they'd probably need to be recoded?

The infertile egg thing is a bad idea. Breeding eggs just to make them infertile? And suppose you've been desperately breeding for a rare? Your egg finally turns up after months of breeding failures, and "This egg is infertile. It will never hatch."

Currently we have a freezing limit. If the freezing limit was not expanded but freezing eggs was allowed, then you don't see people freezing dozens of eggs.

Somebody will doubtless find a way to exploit it, but somebody always does.

Also, freezing shouldn't affect ratio.

Instead of freezing eggs, I don't see why we can't have a site feature that would keep track of what eggs you've hatched in sort of a pokedex-like way. That way, you wouldn't actually be freezing or keeping an actual egg, just a record of what it looks like and its description, and maybe its name. And your "egg book" or whatever it would be called would go on the top of your scroll like the Easter basket maybe. Then people could see what eggs you've "recorded" in your "egg book." Does this pose any huge problems?