HeatherMarie

Freezing Eggs

There are some eggs that are like works of art and I wish ... I could put them in a display case or something. To keep people from abusing the system .... maybe we could just have (1) of each. Or if its a breed like the Terrae we would have a chance to collect (1) of each egg type or just (3) max on that breed and then people would have a chance to get each egg. Sure they could do 3 of whatever .... but since it maxes at three - there is not going to be a rush of abuse.

It would be nice where people could have the option of replacing eggs, but since that could lead to abuse, I'd make it a really strict limit. 1 toss per month or something to reopen a slot.

But I'd like a little cabinet to keep jeweled eggs in. I have that with some of the holiday collecting - but a lot of dragon eggs are just as beautiful as real breeds. For some breeds, I think the egg is more beautiful than the dragon. I may not want the dragon itself, but I'd sure like its egg.

There are some eggs that are like works of art and I wish ... I could put them in a display case or something. To keep people from abusing the system .... maybe we could just have (1) of each. Or if its a breed like the Terrae we would have a chance to collect (1) of each egg type or just (3) max on that breed and then people would have a chance to get each egg. Sure they could do 3 of whatever .... but since it maxes at three - there is not going to be a rush of abuse.

It would be nice where people could have the option of replacing eggs, but since that could lead to abuse, I'd make it a really strict limit. 1 toss per month or something to reopen a slot.

But I'd like a little cabinet to keep jeweled eggs in. I have that with some of the holiday collecting - but a lot of dragon eggs are just as beautiful as real breeds. For some breeds, I think the egg is more beautiful than the dragon. I may not want the dragon itself, but I'd sure like its egg.

Maybe this could be something done for the next Egg Festival? This is something I also have thought of. There are some gorgeous egg sprites out there, and then when they hatch, they're gone. Sure, we can go stare at the AP or DC Wiki until our eyeballs fall out, but a collection box of some kind right there on our scrolls, just like opening up our baskets from time to time and view our treasures? It would be a sweet thing. smile.gif

"Having been here before, you have started recording information about the growth and progress of your eggs." - DC Main Page

Our scrolls are just that: recordings. As such, I think it'd make sense for there to be a way of recording eggs in some manner. Even if people have some issues about the technical details of freezing eggs, perhaps at the very least there could be some type of badge on your scroll that, when clicked, leads you to a collection of every type of egg you've ever picked up?

What'd be especially nice is if clicking on any given egg would bring you to a second page that shows 1) the egg's description text and 2) the full cracking sequence.

I would like to direct you all to the Egg Sucker Pygmy concept over in Dragon Requests, which has a suggested BSA to more or less does just this.

The Egg Sucker Pygmy is a pretty cool idea, I have to admit. Bravo to those working on the concept. Thanks for dragging our attention to it, Dolphinsong. If TJ ever decides to let eggs be a permanent addition to our scrolls, that would be a great way of doing it, and we'd get a new dragon, too.

I so badly want to be able to list my eggs as well on my scroll. It would also help me remember what eggs I've got and what they'll become.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

There are plenty of real-life instances where animals that come from eggs do not ever have opportunity to hatch, ergo, the egg-sucker dragon idea that Dolphinsong directed us to. There was a dinosaur called the Oviraptor whose name means "Egg Thief." Many animals today feed upon the eggs of other animals. Humans do, also. Since the sprites and the game are somewhat based on reality, well, I guess a frozen egg would reflect that to a point.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

This is just an idea, and probably really badly thought out.. But lots of people try to get a set amount of adult male/female dragons as well as a set amount of male/female/ungendered hatchlings..

For me, it would be nice to be able to freeze an egg too - to "complete the set" so to speak.

Obviously, there would need to be a cap on it (and possibly that frozen egg would still "count" as an egg for a set period of time - so people didn't just grab lots of eggs and freeze some so that they stop being egg-locked), or perhaps it would need to be a BSA...

But what do you think, would you want to freeze an egg?

This has been asked and will likely get marked as duplicate, but possibly an alpine type of dragon can do this?

I totally support this. I'd love to be able to keep some egg sprites on my scroll. Making it a BSA with a cool down on the BSA dragon, limit to #eggs that can be frozen / time, and having the egg be locked on scroll for 24 hours are totally fine with me.

I must say, I really want to freeze eggs.

Not to free up the ap, or something else, but because of the sprites.

I would be fine if we could only freeze a certain number of eggs per amount of time, or if that egg would lock your scroll for a day.

As long as we can have it.

I support this idea.

Maybe my idea already suggested before (but I dindn't find summary on first post):

Ability to freeze eggs opens up when only 1 day left to die time

Either by BSA or regular Action.

With incubate action this gives us:

• No badges - 12 eggs / 15 days.
  • Bronze badge - 15 eggs / 15 days.
  • Silver badge - 18 eggs / 15 days.
  • Gold badge - 21 eggs / 15 days.
Gameplay side:

I think such limitations doesn't open any way to abuse current cave/AP balance.

Egg slots are busy for at least 5 days for egg freezing (instead of 2 days for hatch freeze).

That automatically remove any Cave and AP cleanup abuse and doesn't give any

advantage to scroll rapid grow ( normal process egg->hatch->adult require the same

amount of time as egg->freeze - minimum 5 days)

Server software side:

Only small amount of code need to be written (time-dependable actions and

frozen egg state are already here.)

Any pro- and contras- are welcomed.

PS. Still not sure about anti-dead misuse of such function. Maybe additional condition on action:

No cracking sequence started & UV count less than 50 & Not neglected state.

Or just disable freeze 1 hour before deadtime.

Edited by Fsaber

My understanding of the issue would be that if we could just freeze an egg the way we could freeze a hatchling, it would be too simple to unblock your scroll. So people could take eggs from the AP, freeze them right away, and empty the AP without having their scrolls stay filled for any length of time.

So that means a really simple fix could be allowed. Freeze an egg, but it doesn't actually change into a frozen egg until the time when it would otherwise have hatched.

"Having been here before, you have started recording information about the growth and progress of your eggs." - DC Main Page

Our scrolls are just that: recordings. As such, I think it'd make sense for there to be a way of recording eggs in some manner. Even if people have some issues about the technical details of freezing eggs, perhaps at the very least there could be some type of badge on your scroll that, when clicked, leads you to a collection of every type of egg you've ever picked up?

What'd be especially nice is if clicking on any given egg would bring you to a second page that shows 1) the egg's description text and 2) the full cracking sequence.

My old vote was to piece the shells back together but I really like this idea

I think there should be a badge linking to a page that will have pictures of all the eggs

it would be cool to show the description and cracking sequence even though most are the default cracking it would be good for completion sake to have all the sprites involved

Should it be added to the page when you:

A) Grab the egg, this makes sense since you can record the egg picture after you see it. Also if a user doesn't want the dragon but wants to complete the egg page they don't need to adjust their play-style

B) After you raise one of the species to adulthood the egg gets added to the page, this gives a bit more of a challenge since the user has to do more than just grab it. This also allows the system to automatically add the eggs for species the user has already raised especially limited ones such as GON or holiday

Both options will work for the different colored species, such as striped or ridgewing.

How would be handle the terrae's three egg patterns?

Edited by darkshadow5392

So. With June's new release comes 6 different really cool-looking eggs. I (and others, based on what I've read in the official announcement thread) would like to keep the egg-sprite (and not only June's release's eggs, but others as well, obviously) by freezing it, much like we can already do with hatchlings. Also, we know this is already possible, as leetle trees are essentially frozen eggs.

But one thing we need to discuss are the limitations on this - if this gets implemented, something will need to be in place to make sure players don't just catch eggs, freeze them, and have their not-growing things count rise up by an insane amount. 2 ways we can do this: 1) Have it so frozen eggs don't count towards the count at all. 2) Make it like hatchlings where you can only freeze them a given number of times in a given amount of time. Also, make it so you can do it even less times than hatchlings as it's much easier. (with hatchlings, you have to actually let them hatch first)

Thoughts?

Edited by The Flash

This isn't the first time it's been mentioned. There's been suggestions of actually catching colored rocks that look like the eggs you want, some players are against the thought because you would basically be killing the yolk inside the eggs, whereas frozen hatchlings are spelled to be forever young. ( myself included in the against killing of eggs but I'd be ok with colored rocks in their own area)

Not sure how that thread's been doing, sadly there's been no move to make this into a thing or even talks about making it into something, but your suggestion has good points, but it leads to the following two questions I have.

The egg count shouldn't be counted towards final goals, but what about holiday limits?

Didn't see mention of that. Could a player be able to catch as many as they wanted or would the eggs counts for the limit of 2 per release?

Imo these are pixels. Freezing an egg isn't killing anything. If you don't want to freeze eggs fine. But I want to and I don't want someone who is so worried about the life of pixels to ruin it for me.

I am not going to be satisfied with coloured rocks.

For holiday limits you get two eggs no matter what. If you decide to freeze one you can't get another. You can only have two.

For regular limits, I think that the freeze total should be the hatchie freeze limit. So you get 15 freezes. You decide to freeze and hatchie and an egg. Now you have 13 freezes left.

I think one frozen egg per breed should count towards the scroll total but any extras are null.

Well, what if the egg was below 4 days, and you used a spell to transport the hatchling out and kept the complete egg shell? It could be like a twice-per-week action or a BSA, if there was a dragon that fit it that wasn't a magi. But you're not supposed to push a BSA onto a dragon.

So. With June's new release comes 6 different really cool-looking eggs. I (and others, based on what I've read in the official announcement thread) would like to keep the egg-sprite (and not only June's release's eggs, but others as well, obviously) by freezing it, much like we can already do with hatchlings. Also, we know this is already possible, as leetle trees are essentially frozen eggs.

But one thing we need to discuss are the limitations on this - if this gets implemented, something will need to be in place to make sure players don't just catch eggs, freeze them, and have their not-growing things count rise up by an insane amount. 2 ways we can do this: 1) Have it so frozen eggs don't count towards the count at all. 2) Make it like hatchlings where you can only freeze them a given number of times in a given amount of time. Also, make it so you can do it even less times than hatchlings as it's much easier. (with hatchlings, you have to actually let them hatch first)

Thoughts?

There are quite a few topics for this already

Frozen Eggs biome

infertile eggs

Frozen eggs - merged topic

Imo these are pixels. Freezing an egg isn't killing anything. If you don't want to freeze eggs fine. But I want to and I don't want someone who is so worried about the life of pixels to ruin it for me.

I am not going to be satisfied with coloured rocks.

For holiday limits you get two eggs no matter what. If you decide to freeze one you can't get another. You can only have two.

For regular limits, I think that the freeze total should be the hatchie freeze limit. So you get 15 freezes. You decide to freeze and hatchie and an egg. Now you have 13 freezes left.

I think one frozen egg per breed should count towards the scroll total but any extras are null.

I think the holiday idea would be good, but including eggs as part of the scroll count shouldn't be added. People would be grabbing one freezing and them grabbing them breed by breed just to build up the number.

Also I'm not ruining anything for you, nor is anyone else who are stating ideas that are against this suggestion. if someone comes up with an idea to keep the hatching AND the egg it would be fun but personally I'm against the idea of freezing the egg. Just as you want the egg freezing suggestion. it would be cool and there's a few eggs I'd love to freeze.

We are each allowed an opinion but trying to push it beyond making a statement can be construed as bullying. Please be courteous.

This thread shouldn't be an argument, but should be a discussion or friendly debate of objectives and reasons.

Well it is kind of ruined cuz there will be no egg freezing any time soon or every with the whole "Oh no poor pixel babies that can feel no pain , are not truly alive, simply because I perceive sentience in them due to a few lines of text on a screen"

Personally I'm just against the whole idea simpy because everyone just has to make it so damn complicated. No one can settle on anything because there is always some kind of flaw to any of the ideas and well I just don't think adding in egg freezing is worth the hassle of all this running around in circles until everyone is puking.

Just no to egg freezing. Would it be nice? Yes. Needed? Not really. Should it happen? No. Regardless of whether we want to or not its not gonna and I'd rather it not happen.

This isn't the first time it's been mentioned. There's been suggestions of actually catching colored rocks that look like the eggs you want, some players are against the thought because you would basically be killing the yolk inside the eggs, whereas frozen hatchlings are spelled to be forever young. ( myself included in the against killing of eggs but I'd be ok with colored rocks in their own area)

Not sure how that thread's been doing, sadly there's been no move to make this into a thing or even talks about making it into something, but your suggestion has good points, but it leads to the following two questions I have.

The egg count shouldn't be counted towards final goals, but what about holiday limits?

Didn't see mention of that. Could a player be able to catch as many as they wanted or would the eggs counts for the limit of 2 per release?

Like RecycledHeart said... they're pixels. Not actual things. You can think of them that way if you wish, but that doesn't change the fact that they aren't.

Hmmm... good point with holidays... I'd say count them towards the limit. It's the user's choice so as to whether or not they want to freeze the eggs, so... if they want to freeze them, okay, but that's on them.

@Recycled Heart... One per breed - that's a good idea.

@herobrine745 - Interesting... But I'd rather have it as an action, and not a BSA.

@herk - First topic you linked is about rocks - that's not what I'm suggesting. Second one is about infertile eggs through breeding - again, not the same thing. The third one, however, yeah, that's exactly like mine. Last post was in 2013... IDK what happened to it. Doesn't seem like they reached a conclusion. This should be merged into that one, at any rate.

@fuzzbucket - I do like that Mint BSA one... and same with the Pygmy thread. Yet both never reached a consensus (or TJ read it and was like "nah") - the first one reached 2 pages, and the other one - 3. :/ It's a good idea though, is it okay if we bump that up? (it's from 2010, so IDK)