rainface

Hatchlings

(( laugh.gif It's fine. Artemis led everyone into a cave but Scratch and Irah went outside to join Zeditha.))

((Ok. We should probably stop the OOC chatter now.))

Zeditha nodded. "You're probably right," she agreed. "We should sleep in that cave, maybe?" She indicated the cave.

"Yep. This is home cave." said Irah. "...At least for tonight."

Quorran wasn't tired so he volunteered to be on watch for the night. As he sat alone outside he thought about what Zeditha had said earlier about having no friends and realized he was beginning to feel homesick.

Maybe I should stop by the city...It is quite a ways away though... he contemplated.

The next morning Irah woke up beside Crusher and noticed an odd sensation. Ugh...my wings are sore. she thought as she stretched them in front of her then her eyes lit up. "....My wings! Father wake up, my wings are growing!" she shouted and proudly displayed them so everyone could see.

Edited by Booo

((No point in me continuing if people only post once then leave.))

Zeditha decided not to sleep in the cave, preferring instead to hang, batlike, from a branch. She was rather practiced at this, and anyway she knew how to tie her tail around her forelegs so she didn't fall off.

Waking up, she untied herself from the branch, and flew to the cave. She was greeted by a loud shout from Irah. Annoyed at the hurt on her ears, she snapped, "Okay! You don't need to deafen everyone about it!" And she landed on the floor at the entrance of the cave.

"Sorry..." she muttered, flapping her wings a few times.

Crusher opened his eyes and smiled when he saw Irah with her new wings spread out. "And so they are. I guess someone's going to have to learn how to fly soon." he said grinning.

Artemis walked by on her way to gather more herbs but stopped at the mention of flying. "Don't forget your shoulder! Strain it too much and you'll be grounded for good." she warned him strictly.

Scratch was abruptly awoken by a loud shout from one of the dragons. It sounded like Irah. She was saying something about wings.

Shaking himself out of sleepiness, before nearly tripping on his own tail in his drowsiness, he wandered over to where Crusher and Irah had slept during the night.

As usual, his attempt to distinguish anything with his eyes failed him, although he was able to tell where Irah seemed to be. Zeditha also appeared to be awake, and did not seem happy about being woken up. Sky was still asleep, judging by his absence. Crusher and Artemis were also there, with Artemis dryly remarking on the situation as she tended to do.

"What's going on? What's all the fuss about?"

Zeditha hovered, fluttering up and down. "Irah has wings, and shouted. Loud noises hurt my ears, though, when they're too close by. Sorry I snapped, I just don't like shouting too much." She smiled. "Well done for getting wings, I guess. I can't imagine what it would be like, not being able to fly..." She landed as she tried to imagine it, then shuddered. "And I don't want to. Flying is wonderful. You should try it some time." She grinned.

Artemis looked away as if she were daydreaming. "I'm more of a water girl myself." she said quietly with a hint of annoyance.

"Hm...yes the shoulder. It will be a while before her wings are fully grown anyway so both of us will have to be patient." said Crusher after being reminded of his current reality. "Quinn tells me that some of you last night were planning on going somewhere." he said, turning his attention to Zeditha. "And judging by her reaction she seems quite intrigued."

Irah didn't want to wait any longer but a trip to Zeditha's cave meant to she had something else to get excited about. "Wait, who's Quinn?" she asked.

The little Solstice dragon poked her head out from behind Crusher. "I'm Quinn." she said telepathically so only Irah could hear her.

Zeditha shrugged. "There's a litre cave I know of, full of gems. I mentioned it, and I offered to lead the way. One warning though - I'm not walking there. It's a long way. Probably."

Maple soared over the forest, looking for something to do. It had been weeks since the Canopy hatchling had laid eyes on another dragon, and she was itching to do something. A flicker of movement in the trees caught her eye, and she dived in to check it out. A mourning flew above her head, its feathers shining in the midday sunlight, and Maple looked up to marvel at its beauty. In that split second, the disoriented hatchling flew head-first into a tree, loosing her balance and falling out of the sky. She hit the ground with a thump, right in the middle of a group of dragons. She yelped and her image flickered, as it often did due to her light bending ability.

Quorran was flying back to the cave with a dead eagle in his mouth when he spotted a Canopy dragon close by losing control mid-flight. He heard her crash and swooped down to investigate, careful to maneuver the entanglement of trees that stood in his way. He saw a few curious pygmy dragons gathering around but they quickly dispersed when Quorran appeared and landed beside her. He tossed the eagle aside before speaking. "You took quite a fall. Are you hurt?" he asked.

"Well in that case some of us will have to stay behind unless you can think of an alternative." said Crusher. "We may have to split into two different groups."

Irah looked around, unsure where the voice had come from. "Oh, there you are. Looks like we have a spy." she said, spotting the speckled blue hatchling who chose to remain partially hidden.

Maple scrambled to her feet, puffing out her chest and glaring at the dragon towering over her. "I'm FINE, thank you." Although she was trying to look tough, she was still very small compared to the other dragon.

Being a Bright-Breasted Wyvern, Quorran knew what it was like to feel small around other dragons but he still couldn't help chuckling at the hatchling. "Don't worry, I'm not here to intimidate. I was just on my way to deliver something to some.....friends I suppose." he said, unsure if he really considered them friends. "Anyway are you from around here?" he asked. "I travel often so I barely know this place."

(Late xd.png)

Maple relaxed, but she was still a bit suspicious. She wasn't good around other dragons. "I guess you could put it that way. Yeah, I'm from around here." She cocked her head to the side, suddenly curious. "Who are these friends of yours?" The hatchling was excited for an opportunity to meet some new friends.

"Well the truth is I barely know them but they saved my life so I guess they sort of are my friends." he said, still apprehensive. "They're a bizarre bunch, never have I seen such a diverse group of personas working together. They're leader goes by Crusher; he's a Magi who looks terrifying but he's very nurturing. I wouldn't get on his bad side though..." Quorran began to preen his feathers as he said this.

Maple smiled, listening carefully as the bright breasted wyvern explained. "Um... Can I come with you? I don't really have anywhere else to go..." The hatchling fidgeted, clearly uncomfortable asking a silly question like this. But what choice did she have?

"Sure, if you can keep up. I'm a pretty fast flier but I might go easy on you." he said through a mouthful of feathers. He couldn't think of a reason why the others would mind and she didn't seem like the type to cause trouble. After all, they let him in, so why not her?

Once he finished he picked up the eagle again and got into position for a running take-off. "I'm Quorran by the way."

Edited by Booo

Maple smiled even wider. This dragon was being very friendly, compared to other dragons she had encountered. She mimicked him as he prepared for takeoff. "I'm Maple." The hatchling leaped into the air, flapping her wings madly as she rose into the air. She had more flying experience than other hatchlings her age, but she still had trouble keeping her balance. She glided carefully over to the wyvern, trailing behind him.

Quorran ran and jumped, spreading his wings and taking flight. Clutching the bird in his claws he led Maple through the forest which became less dense the further south they went. He passed over a river then turned so that he was flying in the same direction as the water's current. "We just need to follow the river a short distance then make a left turn." he called back to her.

Edited by Booo

Maple nodded, although Quorran probably couldn't see her. She glanced down at the river below her. She realized how thirsty she was, but know wasn't the time. Hopefully, there will be a water source when they land.