TJ09

2024-03-31 - Festival of Eggs

I so rarely get the references but I love seeing all the different eggs anyway. And I'm still very appreciative of the egg tracker, and the ability to catch previous years' eggs (even though I got all caught up before this year). So thank you to everyone who contributed to this event!

The event's almost over, so I wanted to share which one was my submission this year! :D  I've had a couple eggs in FoE in the past, but this was my first attempt doing an animated one (not to mention shading glass, which is...really, really hard. XD Many thanks to a friend of mine who gave me some tips! It's not perfect, but nothing ever is. :) )

Spoiler

image.gif.d85202cd665056265a8bd7abacc05766.gif

I first started spriting this a few years ago and poked at it each year a bit, finally getting it to a point where it was accepted this year, which made me super happy! :D It's not a reference to anything, but rather a personal depiction of my experience with depression and the powerful effect of having someone reach out when I'm trapped in that dark glass cage. Everyone needs a kind hand to reach out to them at some point in their lives, and I try my best to do that for others just as some dear people have done the same for me. Be a light in the darkness. ❤️ 

That's lovely, @MoonShark - and well done on what you've achieved with spriting this little story within an egg.

3 hours ago, MoonShark said:

The event's almost over, so I wanted to share which one was my submission this year! :D  I've had a couple eggs in FoE in the past, but this was my first attempt doing an animated one (not to mention shading glass, which is...really, really hard. XD Many thanks to a friend of mine who gave me some tips! It's not perfect, but nothing ever is. :) )

Hide contents

image.gif.d85202cd665056265a8bd7abacc05766.gif

I first started spriting this a few years ago and poked at it each year a bit, finally getting it to a point where it was accepted this year, which made me super happy! :D It's not a reference to anything, but rather a personal depiction of my experience with depression and the powerful effect of having someone reach out when I'm trapped in that dark glass cage. Everyone needs a kind hand to reach out to them at some point in their lives, and I try my best to do that for others just as some dear people have done the same for me. Be a light in the darkness. ❤️ 

This one was my favorite egg this year. I really vibed with it and was really wondering if it was a reference to something. 

It is just so wholesome, I love it. I even pointed it out to my partner who also plays!

Posted (edited)

Leaving this here so the spriters see it: the Limbus Company eggs got my friend to play this game. She's now got a scroll full of growing dragons. Thanks for making them!

Edited by Skadi

Posted (edited)

I haven't quite got all of them yet, but so far, I've loved each and every one of them! This might be my favourite batch of all. The Stardrop one is great - finally a reference I get! XD

And kudos to the spriter who actually told a love story with their egg - just wow.

Ah, scrolling on this page, I can see who it is. @MoonShark, that's impressive!!

Edited by Fly-by-Night

Posted (edited)

Gonna give a last-minute shoutout to my favorite eggs this year before it's too late!

29xbpp.png

The little nautilus is so beautifully shaded and absolutely precious, definitely one of my top faves

1bvnpd4.gif

These birds are so well done on such a small scale, big kudos!

image.png.5255f11996ddb0550927881b6c761f14.png

The whimsical nature of this one enchants me, it is So fun to see something like a car being made into an egg shape ;-;

p4e6vm.png

This one is simply gorgeous, love the iridescent effect

te8lcf.gif

If I had to choose a single favorite, it would probably be this one! I love the shading on the fern-like leaves. I didn't know if it was a reference, but it's very fun to see that it wasn't and just something beautiful! Very atmospheric, which is impressive, given that it is an egg.

ufa1a7.png11zj7yj.pngjk8t1m.png

And last bit not least, the snacktime trio. I love these food eggs. So delightful.

... Gotta stop now or I'll be listing eggs all day :D

It was fun to make a pop culture reference this year, but I probably won't do a reference next year - so many of my favorites turned out to be original concepts or based on real-life things, I might just let myself get inspired!

Edited by AnthillDragon

On 4/5/2024 at 10:11 PM, AnthillDragon said:

Oof, yeah, I hadn't thought of that when I made it -- the timing does seem a bit uncomfortable now that you mention it.

The joke was supposed to be that it looks like the Heavy Weapons Guy from TF2, who is just referred to as 'Heavy' in pieces of source material, and many eggs in the cave are described as "being heavy". So the pun was that this egg is literally Heavy (the character). Also I knew that TJ is a fan of TF2. I conceptualized the egg long before the current humanitarian crisis was general public knowledge. But I understand your discomfort 😕 

I do myself wear a protest sign in support of Gaza whenever I am outside, so this is not in any way supposed to be in support of violence. Just a silly video game reference doubling as a pun.

Hah, I thought of RDR when I saw it, but TF is also nice :D I don't think you need to apologise for anything, really. One thing is what you had in mind and intended and the other thing is what people make of it ... which is outside of your control.

Always glad to see all the beautiful egg creations! Here's a mini appreciation post

1mdr6df.gif

Love the blue heron reference, was happy to see it! And wow the detail of the feathers growing out!

pf9cxa.png

And here I just love the colors of this lil fruit, the tones are sooo satisfying to look at

83r20i.gif

Don't know the reference, but just thought it was cute and I grew attached!

I'm finally done T-T I was missing like 5 years.

Thank you for the new eggies ❤️

1 hr before end and im still missing 61 eggs (from all past years combined, not from this year) welll i dont think i'll be able to finish my collection this year but good game everyone love the new eggs

Dropping the thread to talk about your art submissions before this thread closes 😅

Beautiful entries this year! I particularly enjoyed the Firefly reference ❤️