jellystualy

Mystery Biome during Festival of Eggs

(I deeply apologize if this has been suggested before, I’ve taken a look and most suggestions are either old — and I mean old — or are not quite what I’m thinking of.)

Based on what Charky said in this thread with permission granted on Discord to practically “adopt” this suggestion, and after seeing a similar suggestion proposed in a thread nearly a decade ago (June 2014!), I’m here to offer a tiny spin on it:

What I’m proposing is that, during the Festival of Eggs Event, there’d be a new special Biome added only for the duration of the event named “Egg Hunt.” (Or whatever would roll off the tongue better.)

It would function virtually the same as a Holiday biome, but with a catch: it’ll spawn any breeds that can spawn in the Cave all-year round, HOWEVER they will have no description to help determine what exactly it is that you’re catching. With the lack of descriptions maybe it could also have an extra row of eggs? Two rows of three eggs would be acceptable buuuut that’s probably wishing for more than I’m bargaining for. And unlike some suggestions in the old thread, I don’t really want Egg Hunt eggs to have anything “special” such as Sickness immunity as that defeats the intended purpose to me—something fun and completely optional.

That said, with the infamous Mystery Egg sprite and with no description, it’ll basically be a surprise Easter egg hunt with no way of knowing what you’ll get until you catch it! You could either catch a good ol’ common breed like a Peach Pied, or you could catch something shiny like a Staterae or a Paper.

This Biome would not interfere with FoE’s Egg Basket and would only last for the duration of the Event, that is, for two days. The other Biomes would also function as per usual. Essentially, it’d be optional, meaning that those who’d like to take a gamble and hunt in the Egg Hunt Biome could do so, and those who don’t want to hunt in it can frolic in the other Biomes as usual.

That’s basically all I’ve got for this. Open to any other suggestions and overall discussion :).

I like the idea, but I doubt many will be using it, as you are locked for 5 hours with whatever you catch. (Instant discard mechanic would be a bit too broken.)

Might still be fun. Code hunters will probably still be pleased.

I honestly would use it. During Festival of Eggs we're not hunting anything specific, so personally I'd probably just be hunting the cave for uncommons to trade for rares as usual. So instead it would be fun to play lottery...check a few times a day and grab 5 eggs, then come back to drop what I don't want and get more. 

It really depends on how much people want it I suppose, but for me it would be fun so support.

I would find this super fun, personally. It's in the spirit of the event, and playing lottery with the chance to get something rare sounds like a great time. Honestly, I'd probably keep at least a handful of commons too, just because the random chance aspect would make them feel a bit special to me. Support! :)

Support, this sounds super fun! I'd use it and keep any eggs I pick up.

I read the idea as it having the same % as regular biomes, but rares being more likely sounds like a way to make people play.

Depends of course on how hard it would be to code.

Though if less commons could spawn, I’d imagine that there naturally would be more rares by itself. Or just make it the uncommon and up.

sounds fun, and would be an opportunity to catch "cave" location eggs which could make for some funky breeding possibilities (plus they're just neat on their own) :)

I think this is a super fun idea! And would be really fun for both code hunting and just gacha type lottery- no skill j luck

I like this idea, but I would like 1 caveat: All eggs have the same chance of spawning. You would have the same chance of catching a Water Walker as a Staterae.

2 hours ago, FuecocoBoi09 said:

I like this idea, but I would like 1 caveat: All eggs have the same chance of spawning. You would have the same chance of catching a Water Walker as a Staterae.

That would skew the ratios, which are already shaky at times - I wouldn't support that one.

ETA also feels a bit like trying to use a new feature to get stuff more easily.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I won't use it, but I don't mind it being an easter egg for like three days a year, sounds very cute ww

Interesting idea…..

I might use it once or twice and if I don’t get something I’d like to keep, prolly wouldna use it again, cos of the 6 hour wait to abandon an unwanted CB, 

but if I got something I did like, then I’d prolly be inclined to keep using it…..

and like someone else mentioned, code hunters would prolly have a blast…..

I certainly don’t se how doing this for a 2 day period could cause any damage……

sounds fun! i would use it, since i tend to have periods where i have a ton of things on my scroll, then forget about it for a week. 

On 12/31/2023 at 8:10 PM, FuecocoBoi09 said:

Ehhh.... Personally, I'd rather keep the ratios and everything else as-is. While it would be chaotic and "fun" to some degree, I feel like that'd skew with the pre-established ratios and overall aspect of the game too much despite for being just a two-day thing...

On 12/31/2023 at 1:55 PM, inghelene said:

I read the idea as it having the same % as regular biomes, but rares being more likely sounds like a way to make people play.

Depends of course on how hard it would be to code.

Though if less commons could spawn, I’d imagine that there naturally would be more rares by itself. Or just make it the uncommon and up.

I should've probably made it more clear but it's supposed to be a FFA with every breed that can be caught in the Caves, all in the same biome! Basically same chance to catch something good as catching the same-ol'-thing with the chaotic influence of having 300 something breeds in the same biome all at once. Which is exactly why I'm proposing it for Festival of Eggs: it'd be too chaotic outside of being an event-special thing, especially with every rare (GSS, Dinos, Cheese, Chicken, metals, etc.) in the same biome

As for the coding, I'm not very knowledgeable of it myself, but I was figuring it could use some of the mechanics the Holiday Biomes do? Of course TJ would know that more than I do as he's the programmer and all.

Posted (edited)

This would be fun, especially if the caught dragons are marked as coming from the biome. I would collect dragons from it, and have a generally good time. With 8 egg slots, you could potentially make a fun little lineage out of random dragons too!

Edited by Skadi

Mystery biome sounds like fun! I wasn't here in the beginning when there was only one biome, but it sounds kind of like that, except no descriptions. 

Support.

as if the egg treats weren't already enough clicking 😗

support with one change: a chance of flipped mints

yes mystery eggs :0

full support

This is such a fun idea, support! Would definitely grab some eggs myself.

I'm on the fence about this even as an event.

On the one hand, minorly better chance to get something rare. Not to mention, it's a true surprise of what you get. There might also be less people hanging around as they'd rather stick to main biomes to get what they know/want.

On the other, this could lead to an unwanted egg wall more than some breeds already do as people hunt for codes/types of dragons. Not to mention the coding it would take (might be simplified if kept to breeds that appear in all biomes as then you don't have to worry about biome variant breeds)

48 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

On the other, this could lead to an unwanted egg wall more than some breeds already do as people hunt for codes/types of dragons. 

I don't think that it'll make a wall any more likely than when users massbreed.

Also, I think that if it has a special biome tag it'll be hunted if only for that label!

47 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

I'm on the fence about this even as an event.

On the one hand, minorly better chance to get something rare. Not to mention, it's a true surprise of what you get. There might also be less people hanging around as they'd rather stick to main biomes to get what they know/want.

On the other, this could lead to an unwanted egg wall more than some breeds already do as people hunt for codes/types of dragons. Not to mention the coding it would take (might be simplified if kept to breeds that appear in all biomes as then you don't have to worry about biome variant breeds)

Keep in mind that generally CB eggs are pretty desirable in the AP. We regularly get walls of bred eggs, and they still clear up after a while...if there were enough CBs to cause a wall, it would also drive down times, and ER CBs are even more desirable. With the 5 hour cooldown too, I doubt it would be an actual issue. 

Posted (edited)

Would love to see this! Support

On 1/2/2024 at 11:45 PM, Skadi said:

This would be fun, especially if the caught dragons are marked as coming from the biome. I would collect dragons from it, and have a generally good time. With 8 egg slots, you could potentially make a fun little lineage out of random dragons too!

I would also support this if it were unobtrusive. Something like the way Market eggs are differentiated from Cave eggs, for the people that care about where they come from.

Edited by Serotina